The ?100 Project ? A complete layout build described in 9 days

Dave777

Guest oldlugger

Hello Dave,

You've made a splendid job of this which should inspire many new people coming into the hobby. The weathering and general look of the layout is very nicely executed giving it that all important feel of reality; I think it is this that will inspire any novice builder more than anything else, because the average train set on a board often remains just that, with no life to it. You've shown that it is possible to take basic RTR models and make something with character.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by oldlugger
  • Like 4

Dave,

I have been reading through this topic too and would echo the comments of oldlugger re. the quality of the weathering and look of the layout.

It is nice to see the inventiveness employed on this project: necessity being the mother of invention. I would never have thought of producing scrap metal from pieces of plastic which were then painted (silly me). My favourite tip from the thread.

Well done

Colin

• Like 2

Brilliant thread I would be interested to know how the baseboards stand up over time, where is it stored will it go damp and saggy (a common problem)as its cardboard? Would love to have a go but only storage is the uninsulated shed and clearly my efforts would be no-where near as good as yours!

cheers

mark

• RMweb Gold

Mark, your first attempt may not be as good, but you only get better by practicing, and the joy of cardboard is it's really cheap, so even if you make only scenic ( i.e. no track) dioramas, they will get better and better and cost virtually nothing.

I don't think Dave's idea is for a long term layout, more an introduction to the hobby, to be replaced by a more robust version at a later date.

Stu

• Like 3

....and as has been said, you can come across left-over bits of various types of timber for nothing. Checking my stocks, I have a fair amount of "Conti-board" some MDF and a large sheet of ply which is too big to be an off-cut and could make a decent-sized layout. Hmmmm.....

Ed

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of cheap baseboard materials/wood etc. I can recommend finding a local hardware/DIY store (the High St not the warehouse kind). We have one just round the corner who stocks and cuts wood for you any size etc. and has loads of offcuts piled up outside with nominal prices pencilled on. I picked up 6'x1'6" piece of 12mm ply for less than a tenner, which I think is a bit of a bargain!!

• Like 5

Getting a bit repetitive, but still can't say anything else than what a brilliant thread! A good looking layout for just 99.88. In fact reading this thread makes me feel quite ashamed! I can't seem to get a layout started with almost ten times that amount of money spend on "real" modelling stuff.......

Sierd Jan

• Like 1

I don't think Dave's idea is for a long term layout, more an introduction to the hobby, to be replaced by a more robust version at a later date.

Yeah, that's a pretty fair commment I think. It's a beginner's layout, and the limited operating potential - which could be boosted by some more stock to run - means that inevitably at some point the beginner would want to try a next layout. It's like most first time layouts I suspect - a way to learn techniques, what parts of the hobby appeal the most, an opportunity to learn from mistakes, and to just generally see what the hobby is about.

Having said that... if kept dry I suspect the layout would last for ages. How many of us keep stuff for years in cardboard boxes in the loft for example, or the garage or shed? And that's without a coating of PVA and paint to seal them a bit more :)

I mentioned Port Pennan earlier in the thread as an example of a cardboard layout. There's a thread on old RMweb about it here...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21331

...which having now read again I see actually had a layer of 3mm ply stuck to the bottom to assist in rigidity, so not a wholly cardboard layout as such. On the flipside however, Ken Gibbons has exhibited this layout (albeit locally), and frankly if it will withstand being transported about, erected, put down again, transported and stored several times over then that seems like a fairly decent workout for the concept of a cardboard baseboard. Yes it had ply added, but Ken possibly started from a worse point by using old fruit boxes. My cardboard was practically like new, so I suspect it may well last the course.

Ultimately, if the thing is kept dry - which is what most of us do with our layouts, isn't it? - then I don't see any reason why it won't last a good while.

I certainly would have loved to have matched the standard of Port Pennan anyway. Top layout.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Don't knock yourself!

The thread, idea and finished layout have all contributed to making it such a great thread and read!

It really is amazing what you can do, when you put your mind to it.

It's also given some great inspiration to all of us, that we can get a layout built which doesn't have to be huge or expensive.

I have noticed a number of comments from other members on it being a good challenge idea.

I've actually thought of a slightly different challenge idea though:

post-6745-0-12200900-1347311920.jpg

post-6745-0-07380400-1347311922.jpg

The OO and N gauge Setrack starter sets.

Both contain virtually the same elements which will make the same oval layout with a couple of sidings.

OO contains

7 x ST-226 No 2 Radius Double Curve

2 x ST-255 No 2 Radius Standard Curve

5 x ST-201 Double Straight

3 x ST-200 Standard Straight

1 x ST-240 Right Hand Turnout

1 x ST-241 Left Hand Turnout

1 x ST-202 Short Straight

2 x ST-270 Buffer Stop, Sleeper Built

2 x ST-271 Decoupling unit

1 x ST-273 Pair Power Connecting Clips

1 x STP-OO Plan Book

N Contains

• Plan Book with instructions for the system
  • 6x Standard Straights
  • 3x Double Straights
  • 5x No.1 Radius Standard Curves
  • 6x No. 1 Radius Double Curves
  • 1x Right-Hand Point
  • 1x Left-Hand Point
  • 2x Sleeper-Built Buffer Stops
  • 2x Power Clips

Now I'm not saying you need to go out and buy this set, but what we could do is try to build a layout using no more than what comes in this set!!

I think it could be quite an interesting challenge in itself!

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

So much can be learned from this thread. Thanks for doing this and also updating it with the weathering of the wagons. I myself have had a go at making the scrap loads for the wagons and also the pipes. Turned out not to bad if I say so myself. This is my first foray into this kind of thing so a pat on your back is deserved. It has given me the confidence to give you weathering techniques a go as well !!

Thanks

Dave.

Was it the 'one post a day' format, the challenge of the £100 limit, or the finished layout... or all three? Or something else?

For me it was all three, plus the fact that it was all so simply and honestly explained.

Well done. So next...a layout for £80? (I'll get my coat...)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

Yes I read all of that one and have the Hornby magazines to refer back to, I just think that there is a lot to be said for these small self imposed restricted types of layout.

It can be the train set such as Ian Morton did with the Shake-The-Box layout or as above using the starter set of just track.

They can be quick to build which hopefully prevents them from stopping halfway through, but do offer such a lot in getting the imagination working and practicing different skills.

I think thats why Dave has created such a brilliant thread.

Everything about it, the reasons for doing it, how it's been written and the self imposed restrictions all make it a cracking read, and at the start he didn't think it was worthy of a magazine article, I think we all agree it is!

Cheers

Ian

Most layouts on this forum, including the finest and most expensive, get a steady trickle of replies. Then along comes this one! The number of responses to this thread says it all. So many of us on this forum can identify with low skills and less money (Dave 777, however, has completely disqualified himself from the first). These simple low cost methods show just what is possible.

Congratulations on a brilliant job superbly presented. Many thanks indeed.

-Al.

• Like 1

This is a fantastic thread and reminded me that my micro layout Upbech St Mary was originally built in two box files spare at work using some Peco points, scenic items and buildings that I had laying around from earlier projects. The only thing I bought was three yards of plain Peco code 75. Since then I have redone the scenery twice and inserted extra box files but always at minimal cost. In fact I have bought no new track and I built the original in 2008! The only money I have spent was on some DAS modelling clay (£3) for the inset track and some wire for the new box files and some rewiring. Even the wood I used to strengthen the alignment of the box files was left over from some dismantled furniture.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49660-upbech-st-mary/page__fromsearch__1

I have cheated on stock as I already had most of that and have bought some since including a Derby Lightweight DMU, that was £100 on its own with decoders but that was a major purchase. The layout is currently dismantled and stacked down the side of my computer table and I'm not sure about its future. Being over four years old I fancy building a new micro, it will be on a budget again and this thread is really inspirational. American N gauge is the favourite and I've found a site in the U.S. that sells resin kits of early logging locos to fit on Kato chassis and both kit and chassis are reasonably priced, in fact ideal as a Christmas present!

If I do dismantle Upbech everything will be recycled if possible and no doubt go in a future project. I agree that something like this thread would make a great challenge.

Superb modelling and I can't get over the transformation with the wagons. I've been away from the hobby for a while and am pretty shocked at the cost of some models these days. I know Hornby have upped their game in recent years, but a bit of weathering (ian Futers style) and flushglaze windows can transform any 1970s or 80s diesel.

I've started a small 4 x 2 layout based on the Edinburgh & Dalkeith railway, which originally ran through what is now my back garden although, probably looking around Leith end for inspiration, due to there still being a mix of some fine architecture and dereliction as well as the opportunity for some small industrial working.

I have now read this complete post twice, Dave I have to say that it is a great post. I live in Spain where model shops are as frequent as hens teeth hence modelling supplies are in short supply, after reading your post I will now be re starting my, nowhere near completed layout, and employing as many 'Dave tricks' as possible. Many thanks for the inspiration.

• Like 1

Absolutely fantastic!!! I've really enjoyed following this thread and wanted to say that not only was the challenge of building the micro layout for under £100 worth following, but so was the end result.

A layout to be proud of in my opinion, and it's been an inspiration for me (and countless others). Your scenic methods have encouraged me to experiement more with techniques and household materials. I look forward to following your next challenge.................

Best wishes,

Paul