BR Bauxite

Good morning,

This may well be a simple question to answer, but I have only recently returned to the hobby, after a gap of 20 plus years, and I am completely out of touch with 'paint codes' etc. Added to that, I cannot find a straightforward answer to the following on the Internet!

I am sure that I used to use a Humrol matt paint, which was roughly the equivalent of BR bauxite. Do any of you know what the current 'paint code' is? Obviously I have looked at their on-line wall chart, but I don't fully trust my computer's monitor to display the colours correctly.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Andrew

Good morning,

This may well be a simple question to answer, but I have only recently returned to the hobby, after a gap of 20 plus years, and I am completely out of touch with 'paint codes' etc. Added to that, I cannot find a straightforward answer to the following on the Internet!

I am sure that I used to use a Humrol matt paint, which was roughly the equivalent of BR bauxite. Do any of you know what the current 'paint code' is? Obviously I have looked at their on-line wall chart, but I don't fully trust my computer's monitor to display the colours correctly.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Andrew

Hi Andrew, I think you'll find that Humbrol number 133 is the old BR Bauxite, it's certainly closer than many (IMHO) and as it's now satin it takes the waterslide transfers well. I usually brush paint this colour, apply the transfers then spray a thin varish, matt or satin depending on how much weathering I plan on doing, weather with 'Carrs' powders then again a mist of varnish to fix the powders.

post-10324-0-79884300-1346058512.jpg

Hope that helps,

Dave Franks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for that! just to be a pain, anyone got similar equivalents for LNER bauxite! GWR goods grey (I live in the USA where we are 'not allowed' to order UK paints in case thee are terrorists lurking in the model shops...)...?

Here's the Humbrol conversion chart which details conversion tables on page 2. http://www.humbrol.com/_assets/files/Humbrol-Wall-Chart.pdf

The only company listed as offering a comparative to HU133 is Vallejo - not sure if they're available stateside. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that! just to be a pain, anyone got similar equivalents for LNER bauxite! GWR goods grey (I live in the USA where we are 'not allowed' to order UK paints in case thee are terrorists lurking in the model shops...)...?

Ha! Problem solved; a company called '2ktechnologies' on eBay will ship Railmatch acrylics to us here in the USA. The shipping takes about 3-4 days, so it's pretty quick too. Just FYI.

• RMweb Gold

Here's the Humbrol conversion chart which details conversion tables on page 2. http://www.humbrol.com/_assets/files/Humbrol-Wall-Chart.pdf

The only company listed as offering a comparative to HU133 is Vallejo - not sure if they're available stateside. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately the Humbrol chart isn't very helpful as the Vallejo equivalent it states, 522, is in fact stain varnish! Vallejo's own chart for the Model Color range is much more helpful, it shows Humbrol 133 as Vallejo 940 + 522, as the Model Color paints are matt you need to add satin varnish to make the equivalent.      

• 3 years later...

Archived