Hemyock - Down on the farm...

aberdare

Looks amazing

Stunning, Jim. The ones looking along the stream being especially atmospheric and realistic.

Great to see you back Jim, and some really stunning work, you and Kevin / Little Muddle have really inspired me to get on with some more work soon.

More pics when your ready, but please don't leave it a year this time mate. :sungum:

Sorry, I missed a couple of posts in there, thank you for the comments and they make it all worthwhile knowing that I have achieved the look I am after.

The shot along the stream was taken back in January I think, I just happened to be in the shed as the low winter sunlight shone through the door and I just thought it seemed the ideal time to get the camera, obviously it was.

I will try to stick around as it's a lot of work sorting through and posting a years worth of stuff.

Thanks again

Jim

• Like 4

How have I missed this layout its amazing the water looks so real and your scenery is  brilliant I shall definitely keep a look out for your posts thank you.

Thanks Chris,

It is quite easy to overlook as it has had some long spells of inactivity over the last couple of years or so, once it drops out of sight things go very quiet.

I'm happy you like the water, we all have our favourite methods and I am a varnish man myself, always solvent based as the water based ones have given me issues in the past with clouding and/or cracking, this one has been getting three or four coats a year since it was started in 2013/14 or whenever it was.

A big thank you to all those who have rated the thread over the last 24 hours.

Jim

• Like 5

As mentioned earlier I am building a farm that will sit on the hillside that will be made on the righthand end of the layout, the hill and further trees will hide the track as it disappears out of sight along with the mainline from Tiverton Junction coming from the other direction. Where the Farm will sit I do not know yet until I see how much room it needs or how big I build it, this area will also be home to a wood mill based on one that existed in the period modelled.

While searching for ideas for a farm I found some pictures of Mackhams Farm on the Blackddown Archives site, two can be seen on this page 

The second one down gives a ggod view as it was around 1900 and the sixth picture down shows an interesting scene crying out to be recreated, sadly the wrong time of year for me but I may still use pigs or something similar.

I used the Petite Properties model as a base as it had a few similarities so once this was constructed it was just a case of deciding on the finish, after a few failed attempts at creating the stone finish I decided on one from Scalescenes (coursed rubble), I chose the N scale option to get the small stone effect and think it works well.

Here is the model to date just waiting for sills and lintels, I may use the windows supplied as interesting though the original windows are I think that they are too difficult a task.

post-13569-0-36826800-1521383987.jpg

More to follow as I progress over the coming weeks as I complete the house and making barns and outbuildings from card.

Jim

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Looks good so far, Jim. I enjoyed the photos in your link, not least Mr Ayres with his prize cow. A common enough photo, but it has a nice atmosphere of summers long ago.

• Like 1

Looks good so far, Jim. I enjoyed the photos in your link, not least Mr Ayres with his prize cow. A common enough photo, but it has a nice atmosphere of summers long ago.

Evening Mikkel

I find a lot of these type of sites full of pictures like that and it is one of the things that makes research so enjoyable, many of them spark ideas for small cameos around the layout and on that particular site one of those that caught my eye was a red Devon bull in a hay cart at market, another an unexploded WW2 bomb at Mackhams farm. On the latter it must have been defused as the farm owners and dog are all gathered around it.

Jim,

The trees look great and your scratchbuilding is truly first class. So much inspiration.

Thanks Anthony.

Until I started this in 2012 I had never really built much from scratch so I still think I have room for improvement but we hopefully learn more each day, I know I have and my approach has changed over the last few years.

Jim

Edited by aberdare
  • Like 3

Work down on the farm continues with the sills and lintels being fitted, after fitting a couple of lintels at the top I found the roof overhangs enough not to continue with them all so that has saved a bit of work with cutting out and fitting.

The windows were made to fit on the inside walls but I thought they looked a bit too far back so cut them to size to fit the apertures and brought them forward, they just seemed to look better in my view.

Here is the building after those stages. (images are now high res unlike the last one so can be clicked on for larger view)

post-13569-0-98950000-1521911887_thumb.jpg

It looked reasonably good so I was quite happy with progress at this stage, then I started to pick holes in it and found fault with the brickwork and of course wouldn't you know it - those windows, they just looked a bit flat and needed something more. They weren't glued in at all, just a push fit in case of an event just like this rethink.

Whilst pondering over the windows I spent some time on the brickwork by using water colour pencils, I find these can be used on the paper without leaving a patch of shiny colour behind as they need very little pressure in use, I used them to reduce the banding effect that was evident across the front of the building and to add some discolouration under the windows and couple of base courses at ground level.

I also decided that if I was going to change the windows I might as well do it properly so made my own with the leaded lights as seen in the earlier link, after a few failed attempts with various materials I resorted to the Silhouette cutter and a wipe of silver paint.

Magic. A job I am now much happier with. It may be a lot of trouble to go to and many wouldn't bother as the model did look OK before, but in my mind it now looks right.

So a few pictures.

The windows.

post-13569-0-28453900-1521911905_thumb.jpg

A few views showing the windows again and changes to stonework.

post-13569-0-12840600-1521911844_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-03560700-1521911867_thumb.jpg

A final shot that sows the added depth added to the ground floor window

post-13569-0-40087700-1521911928_thumb.jpg

That's all folks

More updates as it progresses but I have a few more windows to do first.

Jim

Edited by aberdare
  • Like 10

Work down on the farm continues with the sills and lintels being fitted, after fitting a couple of lintels at the top I found the roof overhangs enough not to continue with them all so that has saved a bit of work with cutting out and fitting.

The windows were made to fit on the inside walls but I thought they looked a bit too far back so cut them to size to fit the apertures and brought them forward, they just seemed to look better in my view.

Here is the building after those stages. (images are now high res unlike the last one so can be clicked on for larger view)

attachicon.gifIMG_3939.JPG

It looked reasonably good so I was quite happy with progress at this stage, then I started to pick holes in it and found fault with the brickwork and of course wouldn't you know it - those windows, they just looked a bit flat and needed something more. They weren't glued in at all, just a push fit in case of an event just like this rethink.

Whilst pondering over the windows I spent some time on the brickwork by using water colour pencils, I find these can be used on the paper without leaving a patch of shiny colour behind as they need very little pressure in use, I used them to reduce the banding effect that was evident across the front of the building and to add some discolouration under the windows and couple of base courses at ground level.

I also decided that if I was going to change the windows I might as well do it properly so made my own with the leaded lights as seen in the earlier link, after a few failed attempts with various materials I resorted to the Silhouette cutter and a wipe of silver paint.

Magic. A job I am now much happier with. It may be a lot of trouble to go to and many wouldn't bother as the model did look OK before, but in my mind it now looks right.

So a few pictures.

The windows.

attachicon.gifIMG_3942.JPG

A few views showing the windows again and changes to stonework.

attachicon.gifIMG_3937.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3938.JPG

A final shot that sows the added depth added to the ground floor window

attachicon.gifIMG_3943.JPG

That's all folks

More updates as it progresses but I have a few more windows to do first.

Jim

Hi Jim,

lovely work, could you explain more about the windows you made, what is the "silhouette cutter" ? Are you printing these onto film?

Colin

Hi Jim,

lovely work, could you explain more about the windows you made, what is the "silhouette cutter" ? Are you printing these onto film?

Colin

Hi Colin

It is a cutting machine that quite a few people on this forum have and there is a dedicated thread pinned at the top of the 'Scenery, structures and transport' section, briefly it is a cutting machine that cuts out whatever you have drawn in a drawing program on card or plastic sheets. There are two types; a Cameo (A3) and a Portrait (A4), many of us seem to favour the latter.

For those windows I used a shallow cut setting that scored rather than cut the pattern and filled that with paint, allowed it to dry a little and then rubbed off, I found enamel worked better than acrylic. The windows themselves are simply a box 10 x 7mm with straight lines drawn on about 0.9mm apart at a 60 degree angle, well worth the few minutes it took to draw them, or it I should say as you copy and paste from that one.

If you look through the above mentioned thread you can see some of the amazing items others have produced, far better than my simple efforts and all sorts of Q&A.

I have found it a worthwhile investment and am now working on my second coach, the first is seen roofless on p.15 #365.

I hope that brief description helps.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 1

Just a quick update.

The windows are all complete and just need final fixing before the roof goes, the doors too of course.

Before any of that happened I needed to complete the roof just in case anything required adjusting, I would hate it if I found I wanted to change something after the roof was glued on. Here are a few photos to show progress to date.

The tiles cut in 6mm strips with 3.5 - 4mm slits between each one, again cut on the Silhouette Portrait cutter as my hands can't cope with that much repetitive knife work.

post-13569-0-05685700-1522526942_thumb.jpg

These were all glued on following my drawn lines - 3mm apart - on the card roof until the roof was covered and then the ridge tiles added, these were small rectangles 12 x 10mm folded in half and stuck to two lengths of paper and cut to length leaving a size of 6 x 10mm viewed from either side. I forgot to take a picture of this as I was on a bit of a roll at the time.

A few pics to close.

post-13569-0-36813800-1522526962_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-63609600-1522526984_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-04636600-1522527006_thumb.jpg

The open window is the only one fixed in place as yet so the others will be straightened later, I am toying with the idea of adding something behind the window but we will have to wait and see if I do.

A few days off now but more updates when it is completed with doors, porch and guttering then onto outbuildings.

Thanks for dropping in.

Jim

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

It looks excellent Jim. From the photos I've seen, the style and colours are already very "Hemyock".

The leaded lights really add something extra. I was interested to read that you found enamels better than acrylic for filling in. I've had mixed luck with my attempts and have been using acrylics, so maybe I should try enamel (or ink). Thanks for the tip.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Brilliant Jim the whole layout just brilliant, read the whole thread start to finish over the last few days. Certainly one of the best on here and your scratch building is inspirational. I’ve subscribed instantly for all your updates and look forward to them.

Cheers for sharing

Ade

• Like 1

It looks excellent Jim. From the photos I've seen, the style and colours are already very "Hemyock".

The leaded lights really add something extra. I was interested to read that you found enamels better than acrylic for filling in. I've had mixed luck with my attempts and have been using acrylics, so maybe I should try enamel (or ink). Thanks for the tip.

Thanks Mikkel

I'm glad the colours appear OK to you as well because as you know I have a real problem in that area, I'm glad you found the glazing part useful and I hope that it works well for you too.

Brilliant Jim the whole layout just brilliant, read the whole thread start to finish over the last few days. Certainly one of the best on here and your scratch building is inspirational. I’ve subscribed instantly for all your updates and look forward to them.

Cheers for sharing

Ade

Hi Ade

Thanks very much for those kind words. I have mentioned to a few others on here how I don't think I am that good a modeller and wish I had the ability of the Alan Downes and Gordon Gravetts of this world, however I am often very critical of my own work and it can sometimes take a few goes to achieve the look I want.

As long as people such as you get inspiration and enjoyment from reading my posts then I am happy to share them, afterall that's how I got started on here, following others like the late John Flann.

I have almost completed the painting of the slates and started to draw up a large two storey barn which I hope to start soon, April does appear to be getting a busy month for non modelling activities though so things may take a little time, but not too long I hope.

All the best

Jim

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Work has and is progressing with the farm but some parts are taking longer than I thought, one of the reasons being the chimney stacks. They needed to be brick built and I thought would print of some brick paper stick it on and job done, but of course I then had a thought, "Why not use individual bricks", well that was it I decided to do just that and drew out some 3x1mm bricks, dab of paint and build a stack. One of the reasons for trying this was that it was always something I wanted to do and I even considered doing the whole farmhouse like that before reverting to stone, I still have more work to do on these but here is progress so far.

post-13569-0-75243300-1523702225_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-23566800-1523702266_thumb.jpg

Now putting these bricks on can be a bit tedious so I took a break to complete the drawing up of the barn and these were cut out and taped together to check the fit, all looked good so here it is, first the front.

post-13569-0-62428200-1523702672_thumb.jpg

and the back

post-13569-0-32393400-1523702697_thumb.jpg

I then had to think about the roof, now I do like to make the roof in one piece if I can so I drew it up with a join at the point where the two sections come together.

Here is the final draft drawn and cut out.

post-13569-0-14866400-1523702992_thumb.jpg

It had to be cut at an odd angle as when it is folded up the the gap on the external or top corner separates when the angle is correct but comes together when folded, the internal corner overlaps at the right angle then separates to align the joint, it took me a while to get this right on the drawing but looks O.K once folded.

The folded roof at the correct angle.

post-13569-0-68839800-1523703268_thumb.jpg

Now the big question was, would it fit the barn building?

post-13569-0-34358300-1523703386_thumb.jpg

Looks good to me.

Finally a couple of pictures of the two buildings as they currently stand

post-13569-0-54634000-1523703501_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-40915800-1523703531_thumb.jpg

All I have to do now is give it the same TLC as the farmhouse itself and all should start to look good, this will take some time so it may be the end of the month or around then before further updates on buildings when I start on cart sheds and stores. Unless I do something different that I think is worth posting.

Jim

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Jim, seems I missed that last post. "Cart sheds and stores" - you'll be needing a farm wagon then maybe - and a farm hand or two! I look forward to seeing what transpires.

• Like 1

Hi Jim, seems I missed that last post. "Cart sheds and stores" - you'll be needing a farm wagon then maybe - and a farm hand or two! I look forward to seeing what transpires.

Yes Mikkel I will be needing carts, horses and farmhands and more, I do have some carts in stock and they will get built eventually but first I have to mount all the buildings on a slightly sloping base to fit into an area yet to be landscaped, I hope to complete this before the end of the year but too many things are imposing on life at this time.

That looks superb Jim, and with an arkward roof shape as well. Very nice indeed and will really add interest to the Farm area.

I hoped that it would Andy and the one that it's based on is the same and it took my eye when I first saw it, I hope to add a lot more details in time to increase the amount of interest.

Very little has happened due to life slowing things down but some small steps have been made on the farm, literally some small steps have been made.

Here they are.

post-13569-0-31535700-1529353141_thumb.jpg

A bit more progress has been made though with the stonework now added and the slates being added to the roof

post-13569-0-96358900-1529353268_thumb.jpg

and with the small steps

post-13569-0-90990000-1529353295_thumb.jpg

While it was sitting on the layout I couldn't resist adding a couple of trees to see how it may fit into the landscape.

post-13569-0-15203700-1529353333_thumb.jpg

plus a couple of shots of the back of the barn across the river.

post-13569-0-94382400-1529353365_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-01324000-1529353397_thumb.jpg

As mentioned earlier it will sit elsewhere once that area has been built. So progress is slow but it continues step by step but should gradually increase as time goes on.

Jim

• Like 9

• 4 months later...

Hi Jim, looks very Pendon-like.

Thanks Jonathan but I think I have a long way to go to achieve that, somewhere close would be good though.

Hello Jim. Thanks for the link. I've only had time at the moment to flick through this blog, but your work looks terrific. I will be back to see more when I have the time

Hello Mike

That's OK, however things have been on hold for a while due to dealing with a few issues here at home, my time is being devoted to my wife at the moment and probably will be for a few more weeks yet. I hope you enjoy the thread and find something inspirational as I have often done reading other threads over the years.

I hope to resume modelling sometime next month as I have some demonstrations to do at a small local show early next year.

There will be no more updates on this thread for the foreseeable future, the reasons are here.

Jim

Edited by aberdare

• 2 months later...

Thanks Chris and Andy.

The last few months had been difficult and modelling had ceased on all projects, the old mind though was always still thinking about future models and research carried on whenever I had the chance.

One of those times was when I got roped in to catching 18 feral cats on a local farm, one of which I adopted and she is now a very loving and devoted cat to me, I do like to try and turn ferals around when I can, but I digress. As I was still in the process of farm building the old buildings that were seen soon gained some interest from myself, I asked for permission to take a few pictures to build models and this was granted.

One of those buildings was an old granary that I loved the look of and thought it would be a good subject for my farm.

Here are some of those pictures.

Front of granary

IMG_4206.JPG.b0649de704943581e7089522a4861bb1.JPG

Inside

IMG_4207.JPG.04fb50d5743c68fde4a33bed859158cc.JPG

the rear

IMG_4214.JPG.36efcd8fe860e597ddd502e915ffdd32.JPG

The stables (rear)

IMG_4212.JPG.cf81628bc79d3104b8fa08ba92092c1e.JPG

I did like all the vents over each block and have taken closer shots of them for reference.

All this research will not go to waste and as the buildings have been drawn up and just need cutting out this will be my next project once I have my room set out, a little way off yet but plans are afoot.

So that is what I shall be doing in the near future using the same stone sheets as on the previous buildings, hopefully updates will start in a few weeks and I am looking forward to getting back to the bench and sharing the build as it progresses.

Thank you to one and all for the supportive ratings and messages that you have given, they were and are greatly appreciated and the friendship on here is fantastic in times of need.

See you soon

Jim

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

For a minute Jim, I thought you were eyeing-up buying a barn to convert into a home. 4mm scale should be much less hassle though. Modelling certainly got me through some low times.

• Like 1