Hemyock - Down on the farm...

aberdare

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim

It's coming along nicely. I really like the platform stones, something different to the norm and looks really good. The gravel falling down to the river bank is also well observed :good:

I know what you mean about working in unheated outdoor buildings this time of year. I have the same problem

Hi Nick - I must admit I was very happy with the stones in the end despite the time taken, I didn't really like what was available as it wouldn't have matched the pictures. I think the original may well have been the diamond inscribed stones but that would have been a challenge in 4mm, so as historically some country stations had cobbles or sets I made those as they were also thin enough to match the platform edging. As for the stones falling down the bank, well, I spend lots of time staring at the pictures to see what's there and try to replicate it. I get it wrong plenty of times though which explains why I keep rebuilding things.

Thanks GB - That first shot is based on the one in GWR branchlines Vol2, the early one with the plump station master in it, I was hoping too do it in B&W and link it but couldn't find one on the web, I'll have to have another look later.

I have learned a lot from this build and it is full of mistakes and there are some minor compromises (bodges) to disguise them, I hope not to make these in the future. Having drawn out a plan for the main walls I then made it up as I went along, that was the mistake, had I sketched out a drawing highlighting features and possible problems (like Stubby and others) I could have saved myself a lot of work and head scratching :scratchhead:. I'll make sure I do it next time. Working from photographs only has also been a problem and now it is all together I can see where some dimensions could have been increased or decreased to make the fit better, oh well I could always build it again :no:

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jim

We all make mistakes and cover them up somehow. One of my major mishaps resulted in the Goods Shed having to have a thick growth of ivy on one end to hide it :O My weighbridge office was the first building I made for Much Murkle and after I had made a few more buildings my technique had changed / improved so much it had to be rebuilt as it was no longer up to standard. We learn as we go along and will always find plenty of things that we will do differently next time. It's all part of this great hobby :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely work, Jim. Why would you even consider doing it all again?!!

If you don't point out your "bodges", nobody is ever likely to notice - except you. I know it can be irritating, but part of the fun of modelling is that it produces a unique product. And it's a damn sight more satisfying if you've made it yourself!

You commented on my thread about the pace of work. I'll say the same to you - who cares if it takes years? It's your layout and you're doing a brilliant job!

All the best,

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks Nick - Looking at your layout which looks so good you wouldn't think any of it had any problems, just goes to show as you say we improve as we go along. This is my first building since making an engine shed and the side walls of the carriage shed back in 1982 so in a way it is a first attempt and despite the niggles (that only bother me) I am happy with it, the few people who have seen it in the flesh and compared it to the photos have praised the work as well. As I've said I have learned a lot and will use that knowledge in the future.

Thanks Jeff - No I won''t rebuild it, It will never be done otherwise and it looks like what it should be. It is unique because its mine and all my own work and I am pretty chuffed with myself really, just a bit annoyed I made a few silly mistakes that could have been avoided. At least this will not be the main station where in the end the main focus will be and I feel confident that the building on that will be fine. If I was going to keep rebuilding I'll still be on here in 30 years time going 'Just one more tweak to finish it'.

Unlike you I have just received some bits in the post so more work to do.

After reading some of the threads on here regarding colour I took a closer look at all the pictures I have and can now see that some of the wood is most likely light stone rather than white, so out with the brush.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the positive comments it makes it really worthwhile putting the effort in, I hope to keep the level of detail across all buildings if I feel it is needed as I want any pictures I take to look as close to the prototype as possible.

Stefan - I did consider lighting the buildings but think it is too much work and expense for what will be a large layout when complete, however after making the frame I have thought that I might take some dusk shots of a porter with a lamp inside the shed doing a last check at the end of the day. But that is for the future.

Many thanks again for the positive comments.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim, I thought it was about time I returned the compliment and had a look at your thread. Lovely job on the shed - what kind of plastic trunking/rodding have you used here? I've used Plastruct Micro-rod, and if that's what you're using then your frame must have cost a fortune! It is a work of art though!

Will keep an eye on where you go with this!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff

Thank you, yes it is all made out of plastic strip, either Slaters or Evergreen depending on what I already had or where I could find the right size. As for cost it's surprising how the cost of even small items add up, that's why I try and do as much for as little as possible to make my budget go further. I must admit now that the other 128 (64 per side) roof struts are going on it does look complex, I would probably have left these off if they didn't protrude over the sides to be visible, Mind you it is easier than trying to stick on the same amount of ends a couple of mm long.

I thought this was the easy one as it had no doors or windows, just shows how wrong you can be once you get into the detail.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

There is so much excellent scratchbuilding going on at the moment. Jason's townscape on Bacup, Andy Ps Trebudoc (have a look at GeorgeT's work for Andy, and in his own Abbot's Mead), and your own stuff - that's just for starters! How can anybody not be inspired to "have a go".

I'm hopeful I'll be able to start the tunnel mouth very soon - I'm going to use a thin ply backing for the portal and have a supply of 2mm and 3mm birch ply on order. I've got tons of Slaters, dressed stone (as per the viaducts) and plain 40thou, so there's no excuse not to get cracking.

Splendid stuff, Jim. Btw, I only came across the plastic strip when detailing the viaducts. An incredible rip-off in my opinion. I bet they manufacture each strip for a penny and sell them for 50p. Nevermind...

Jeff

Woo Hoo! Tate gallery here I come.

Many thanks for the positive comment and yes they were a bit fiddly, well at least the first one was then it was just a question of repeating them and testing the fit to each individual post. The smaller struts I am now working on are even worse though and have caused me a few headaches today but I feel it is necessary to do them as they are visible as can be seen on the link.

http://www.disused-s...k/index34.shtml

I needed more than one pair of hands to get the positioning right, the bottom ends have to line up, the distance has to be consistent and it has to be upright all in the time the Mekpac sets, which as you know isn't long.

So it was on with the thinking cap and this was my solution

post-13569-0-71372200-1355421340_thumb.jpg

Out came the helping hands to clamp the rule and get the spacing right as well as acting as a stop for the base of the strut, the square is there just to ensure it is upright from top to bottom. The shed itself is secured to the mat to stop any movement.

A close up

post-13569-0-19274300-1355421559_thumb.jpg

The strut is glued to the bottom rail first as there is only contact on the corner, this means if I get it wrong it is an easy bond to break and redo before securing higher up.

I left the uppermost rail out as I had loads of problems getting the alignment right to allow the struts to sit on all three surfaces, that is if you class a fraction of a mm gap here & there a problem. I obviously did.

It is going to take a while cutting and fitting all 128 so I'll see you all in a few days couple of weeks.Now where did I put those tweezers.

Jim

Jim

• Like 10

Altogether excellent Jim, I'd never even attempt the detail stuff you are putting into your buildings, mine is one bodge after another.

As long as it looks OK in the end is good enough for me. Yours looks good from the beginning!

• Like 1

Cheers John

Believe me when I started this one my initial thoughts were sides, ends and roof, nice and easy it'll be done in a few days. Then I started sketching it out, adding the detail and working out how to add it and look what it turned into, all because I want those detailed bits on.

That's the trouble with prototype modelling I guess - no shortcuts.

• Like 2

Hi Jim, I've come over here on Jeff's recommendation, and caught up on your progress. What you are doing is really impressive, particularly your approach to building the carriage shed. I hope I can turn out something that good one day. Will certainly keep looking in to see how you progress.

Hi Michael

Thanks for popping in to see what is happening and glad you like it. I remember when I found this site just over a year ago and saw what was going on I thought I would love to achieve some of the things that were being modelled. It sort stoked the embers of the fire burning within if you like and the only way to participate (in my mind) was to get started and put stuff up for scrutiny and comment. As Jeff has said before you get encouraged and want to do more, which sets off the cycle again. I never really knew what I was capable of until I had another go as I can't even remember how I went about it all those years ago, I think it is coming back to me now though.

As for making something like this yourself give it a go, just take your time and practice on something small - that's why I did the cattle dock first.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Good advice Jim - for me, I'm on about. I'd never have thought about building a cattle dock...I'd have bought one. But not now. I've started on the tunnel mouth, btw - cut the 2mm ply and put a picture up. Very lacking in "artistry" compared to your masterpiece here!

I think the group of us that interact have a tremendous mutual effect - nothing like a bit of constructive criticism etc to spur you on!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Just found this. Clearly a new favourite thread :-)

I really like the way you work with textures and materials. Getting real stuff like soil and wood to actually blend in and look right is rarely easy, but you've made it work so well. Everything already has a very distinctive character. Very inspiring, thanks!

Jeff - it was just a nice easy start to scratch building and getting used to wood, plastic and card without messing up anything critical and so easy to rebuild if I had to. It also got me to cut accurately and more importantly straight.

Mikkel - Great to see you here and to receive your praise, as you know I have always found your work to be inspirational to me since I joined, so thank you for being one of those who set a standard for me to aim at. I hope to maintain that during the whole build.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, well I hadn't thought of building the dock. The station buildings, yes. So - another project!

Hope you got the new plastic rodding you needed, as you said the postie was at your door. In the meantime I've added to my "tutorial" on KL. Lol.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

Finally posting something here. I've been following your interesting thread for a while now.

Vested interested - GWR. :declare:

I've been watching how you've been doing the framework. Some good tips there.

Daughter came up trumps with the Ratio carriage shed for Great West Road. I'll probably need two as the steam railmotor shed at Southall (and Didcot replica) was quite long and in model form will have to be narrower than the Ratio version. I was surprised to find that the Ratio roof is not only clear plastic but moulded. I was expecting a flat sheet.

Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

Polly