Hemyock - Down on the farm...

aberdare

• RMweb Gold

After a long spell of inactivity (double tennis elbow) I have managed to get back into some modelling and managed to get some work done on the rooves of the buildings.

The first was quite easy - the slates - as it was just a case of fitting strips of them across the roof until complete, the tiles however proved a little different.

I thought it was quite a big area to cover with hand-made ones having done it before so looked at the plastic alternatives but I just didn't like the look of them, too big so overscale for my needs and either too uniform or repetitive, so it was back to making my own. As I had used paper for the slates it was only logical to use the same medium for the tiles.

So time for a few photographs and explanations.

attachicon.gifIMG_2961.JPG

This shows the cardboard formers that make up the roof shape with the slates complete on the mill and loading bay, some string can be seen on the factory roof which forms part of the tiles.

attachicon.gifIMG_2959.JPG

The string being fixed around 3mm apart, there could be a few differences in gap size but hopefully will add to the character rather than look wrong.

attachicon.gifIMG_2963.JPG

A closer look at the string that is going to form the ridge in the tiles, this is simply fixed with PVA and gives a firm grip to the card and more than adequate for my needs.

attachicon.gifIMG_2965.JPG

The tiles being formed and glued over the string, each one needs to be held as the next is shaped and fixed beofre moving on again, a time consuming job but one that looks as if it will be worth the time and effort.

attachicon.gifIMG_2967.JPG

A comparison of the homemade against the plastic ready made ones, what is noticeable is how much larger the latter are which was far too big to my eyes and given a tile around 18" x 12" in real life when I wanted 13.5 x 9.5, it also had the effect of making the building look smaller than it is because we look down on the roof once modelled.

It's going to take a while to complete this and even then the building is still only just over half finished as I have the loading bay bases, doors and cobbled yard to do as well as an additional mill office, boiler and engine house, plenty to keep me occupied yet then.

All the best

Jim

Jim,

Glad to see you are able to model again.  This is so clever and inventive, and looks good too.

All the best.

After a long spell of inactivity (double tennis elbow) I have managed to get back into some modelling and managed to get some work done on the rooves of the buildings.

The first was quite easy - the slates - as it was just a case of fitting strips of them across the roof until complete, the tiles however proved a little different.

I thought it was quite a big area to cover with hand-made ones having done it before so looked at the plastic alternatives but I just didn't like the look of them, too big so overscale for my needs and either too uniform or repetitive, so it was back to making my own. As I had used paper for the slates it was only logical to use the same medium for the tiles.

So time for a few photographs and explanations.

attachicon.gifIMG_2961.JPG

This shows the cardboard formers that make up the roof shape with the slates complete on the mill and loading bay, some string can be seen on the factory roof which forms part of the tiles.

attachicon.gifIMG_2959.JPG

The string being fixed around 3mm apart, there could be a few differences in gap size but hopefully will add to the character rather than look wrong.

attachicon.gifIMG_2963.JPG

A closer look at the string that is going to form the ridge in the tiles, this is simply fixed with PVA and gives a firm grip to the card and more than adequate for my needs.

attachicon.gifIMG_2965.JPG

The tiles being formed and glued over the string, each one needs to be held as the next is shaped and fixed beofre moving on again, a time consuming job but one that looks as if it will be worth the time and effort.

attachicon.gifIMG_2967.JPG

A comparison of the homemade against the plastic ready made ones, what is noticeable is how much larger the latter are which was far too big to my eyes and given a tile around 18" x 12" in real life when I wanted 13.5 x 9.5, it also had the effect of making the building look smaller than it is because we look down on the roof once modelled.

It's going to take a while to complete this and even then the building is still only just over half finished as I have the loading bay bases, doors and cobbled yard to do as well as an additional mill office, boiler and engine house, plenty to keep me occupied yet then.

All the best

Jim

Wow young Jim, That is a clever idea mate, I've never seen that done before, it looks excellent, well done and thanks for sharing the pics and description.

• Like 1

Thank you for the compliments in your replies and for the ratings.

I can't take full credit for it though as it has been done before and also by others, I have read of spaghetti and wire being used but the former was too large for me and the latter too expensive, I used this method to repair a few cracks that appeared in my plastic carriage shed roof a couple of years ago and is now my preferred method for large rooves.

I also found the string ideal for gluing both to the card former and for the paper to stick to it, cheap too.

The main advantage I found was that rather than having a series of flat sections followed by a rib I could create an angle from the base of the string where it is glued to the top of the next piece before pressing it around the string to the base and repeating, it seems to give the impression of the curve of a pantile, to me anyway.

It's back to the slow progress of fitting the rest for me so in the words of Captain Oates "I may be sometime."

Jim

• Like 4

Jim, I'd missed your recent posts and your Christmas one-may I there offer my Best Wishes and for your wife and yourself in the coming year, I'm happy too to see you are back to modelling. It's a great relief, as I found, to have such a hobby amid the cares you carry. Even if the opportunity to do much physically is absent it doesn't stop the mind from thinking about it. That's just as important.

My kindest regards, John.

Jim, I am using an old back scrubber like this. Clumps can be pulled out and trimmed if needed. I spray them or touch up with some colour.attachicon.gif20170220_150616.jpg

Yes, I agree they are useful and I have a wide variety in my scenic boxes and have tried them for grasses, weeds, Thatch and anything else where I think they may be suitable, with reference to my current build the bristles of a yard broom for smaller rooves can be used.

Jim

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Time for another update.

Either I have had more time of late or I'm starting to work faster as things seemed to have moved on in the last few days compared to earlier on with the tiling, progress was slow to begin with followed by a break away with the wife and then I had other jobs to do, a bit like some real builders I guess.

The tiling had barely started last time but was completed a couple of days ago and looked like this;

post-13569-0-90273700-1490129410_thumb.jpg

At one time I was only managing a couple of rows a night if anything and I was beginning to think "maybe just maybe I should have used those Wills sheets and got it over with." But no I was determined to see it through after all I'm no Hare. :mosking:

another shot

post-13569-0-63772700-1490129437_thumb.jpg

Now this one shows the small ridge over the office which was rubbish, it had to go, so it did. The problem was underneath so this was corrected and remade.

post-13569-0-41020300-1490129526_thumb.jpg

The new ridge and also some Yellow Ochre was sprayed on followed by a dusting of black powder paint to give something close to how I want the finish.

One of the next things on the list was Setts or Cobbles in the yard surrounding the building, so I had a look at what I had in stock, some Wills sheets but nowhere near enough. I then found some large flat polystyrene sheets about track high, perfect, could I make them look anywhere near right. Well there was only one way to find out.

I measured out some markings 3 x 4mm apart across and down and cut lines with variations with an old blunt blade to get the gaps, as you would expect the knife likes to wander so I had to make some repairs.

post-13569-0-70184600-1490129552_thumb.jpg

A knife slip

post-13569-0-14699900-1490129584_thumb.jpg

a Paper towel patch

post-13569-0-79255200-1490129623_thumb.jpg

A spot of paint and recut of the grooves

post-13569-0-19833200-1490129700_thumb.jpg

Most of the sheet including repairs which are barely noticeable and it haas now had several sprays of shades of grey, no not 50 :nono: about 6, followed by a dusting of black powder paint.

post-13569-0-05022200-1490129764_thumb.jpg

A lower angle shot catching todays sunlight

post-13569-0-40138700-1490129804_thumb.jpg

A small dusting of yellow powder paint to see if I could imitate moss, not convinced by that so a black dusting will be done to cover it and I'll try something else.

Of course with an airbrush full of grey it was the ideal time to spray over the slates and then give it a black dusting

post-13569-0-33217300-1490130024_thumb.jpg

Not the best slate roof I've made but then again it was made when the elbows were really painful. that's my excuse anyway. I do think I can correct a few things on them though to improve the appearance. The gaps in the cobbles will also get a bit more filling now I know how they have come out.

If I can't they will be partly screened by a couple of trees which stood in front of the factory, I think I may have a stab at making some Silver Birch later in the year when this is in place, if I get that far.

Thanks for dropping in

Jim

• Like 9

Time for another update.

Either I have had more time of late or I'm starting to work faster as things seemed to have moved on in the last few days compared to earlier on with the tiling, progress was slow to begin with followed by a break away with the wife and then I had other jobs to do, a bit like some real builders I guess.

The tiling had barely started last time but was completed a couple of days ago and looked like this;

attachicon.gifIMG_2968.JPG

At one time I was only managing a couple of rows a night if anything and I was beginning to think "maybe just maybe I should have used those Wills sheets and got it over with." But no I was determined to see it through after all I'm no Hare. :mosking:

another shot

attachicon.gifIMG_2969.JPG

Now this one shows the small ridge over the office which was rubbish, it had to go, so it did. The problem was underneath so this was corrected and remade.

attachicon.gifIMG_2988.JPG

The new ridge and also some Yellow Ochre was sprayed on followed by a dusting of black powder paint to give something close to how I want the finish.

One of the next things on the list was Setts or Cobbles in the yard surrounding the building, so I had a look at what I had in stock, some Wills sheets but nowhere near enough. I then found some large flat polystyrene sheets about track high, perfect, could I make them look anywhere near right. Well there was only one way to find out.

I measured out some markings 3 x 4mm apart across and down and cut lines with variations with an old blunt blade to get the gaps, as you would expect the knife likes to wander so I had to make some repairs.

attachicon.gifIMG_2972.JPG

A knife slip

attachicon.gifIMG_2973.JPG

a Paper towel patch

attachicon.gifIMG_2974.JPG

A spot of paint and recut of the grooves

attachicon.gifIMG_2975.JPG

Most of the sheet including repairs which are barely noticeable and it haas now had several sprays of shades of grey, no not 50 :nono: about 6, followed by a dusting of black powder paint.

attachicon.gifIMG_2981.JPG

A lower angle shot catching todays sunlight

attachicon.gifIMG_2979.JPG

A small dusting of yellow powder paint to see if I could imitate moss, not convinced by that so a black dusting will be done to cover it and I'll try something else.

Of course with an airbrush full of grey it was the ideal time to spray over the slates and then give it a black dusting

attachicon.gifIMG_2998.JPG

Not the best slate roof I've made but then again it was made when the elbows were really painful. that's my excuse anyway. I do think I can correct a few things on them though to improve the appearance. The gaps in the cobbles will also get a bit more filling now I know how they have come out.

If I can't they will be partly screened by a couple of trees which stood in front of the factory, I think I may have a stab at making some Silver Birch later in the year when this is in place, if I get that far.

Thanks for dropping in

Jim

Well Jim, I have to say that looks brilliant to my eyes mate, superb once again and thanks for the up-date.

• Like 1

Hi Jim, I really like the way you have done the setts/cobbles, that's a neat and creative idea that I will borrow if you don't mind. All the best Adrian.

To be totally, utterly and pedantically boring, setts and cobbles is two very different things - as you know if you walk over them. Cobbles are river or sea worn items more or less ovoid. Setts are, typically, granite or a similar hard rock - quite a lot flatter but actually much worse in a hard frost. 

I don't know what a 19th century cart horse would have preferred?

Then of course there is the wooden block stuff. Used I think in areas where noise is, even then, an issue (posh London streets); or when unloading eg beer barrels needs some resilience. You might also have brick surfaces where a smooth surface is a paramount need.

I'm guessing that, in a small goods yard for example, before tarmac came in,  the overall 'paving' would be whatever materials came to hand - so you would expect cobbles near at least some coasts, setts near hard rock areas, wood for special situations. Areas where horse traffic was significant might have been laid to ash, or something similar that is easy on the hooves. But in a large yard you might have quite a variation in surfaces.

I don't really know, but I have a nasty feeling that accurate modelling of pre-Tarmac days may require a very considerable number of surfaces? (and, of course, for later periods, damaged areas may simply have been patched with concrete or tarmac).

Now, if (and it's only 'if') you accept this diagnosis, there is a big issue in 'blending' - or not blending - the different surfaces. I guess that depends on time frame. As built, or installed, the different surface areas were I imagine well defined (and perhaps even intended to be - these goods go on that area) - a hundred years later they may have been eroded, disrupted (drains etc), partially renewed with not quite matching material, patched with concrete/tarmac etc.

What I've put above is probably true for many cases - my worry (and do bare in mind I am not myself a practical modeller., merely an enthusiast for railway modelling) is how mucjh of this variation you can get away with, especially in a scheme that is necessarily somewhat compressed? 'Accuracy' could end up looking like a Tartan quilt?

Any thoughts?

• 11 months later...

Well it's been almost a year since my last post and you must all think that nothing has happened, but a few things have been and I have now decided to catch up with things. It might take a post or three to get it all uploaded as I sort through and resize photo files.

So here goes.

Scenic work has dominated most of my time and in particular trees, this was due to me having this one as a screensaver for a while and I thought to myself "Jim, that's really poor and just isn't right" so it had to go and it was all removed, more on that later. So it was back to the tree making.

post-13569-0-54732800-1476304285_thumb.j

As I am going to show the progress made with 30+ trees it makes sense to show how they are made.

I had always wanted an old Oak to sit in a prominent place on the layout so that you could peek through the almost bare branches at the layout beyond so I set about making one.

First of all I made a wooden block to hold a screw, added solder to the top of the screw and then added wire, 32 cables of 42 strands each (1344 in total).

This is how it looked at the start.

post-13569-0-37398300-1520711418_thumb.jpg

It was then down to twisting into the sort of shape I required. One thing I wanted was for the tree to have a hollow starting to show so this was incorporated into the trunk.

post-13569-0-03192000-1520711511_thumb.jpg

It was then time to start forming the 1344 branches - plus a few extra I wound in - into a tree shape, here's the first few

post-13569-0-62195100-1520711606_thumb.jpg

And here is the finished article, count them if want.

post-13569-0-46924900-1520711761_thumb.jpg

Then I started to cover it with tile grout, a quick spray with water and grout applied through a fine sieve, once dry this was fixed spraying with a thinned brownish varnish, this took several coats until I was happy to see the twists disappear.

post-13569-0-93280200-1520712211_thumb.jpg

The now completed bark finish apart from a little colouring.

post-13569-0-04535700-1520712752_thumb.jpg

A close up of the hollow

post-13569-0-80016500-1520712733_thumb.jpg

Then the addition of finer twigs that will hold the leaves, this was poly fibre donated by the wife who was making a stuffed toy.

post-13569-0-72462000-1520712778_thumb.jpg

This was then teased out very thinly as I don't like too many leaves on tree.

post-13569-0-12206500-1520712803_thumb.jpg

To finish the tree I used my usual mix of coloured tea leaves and powder paint ground up with a mortar & pestle, but more of that in the next post whicch could be a bit picture heavy.

Back in bit

Jim

• Like 10

Part 2

That backscene and tree line had gone so a quick review of the layout indicated that I could get another 70mm in that area tapering down to nothing at the other end, about 14ft away. I thought it best to invest in some of the poly backscenes so that is exactly what I did.

The first ones in position. The meadow opposite the station over the river can be seen to be pretty empty at this stage

post-13569-0-31516500-1520714362_thumb.jpg

Then it was onto making the new boar inserts, here's one.

post-13569-0-51612900-1520714494_thumb.jpg

Then it was making some flat trees, these were made in the same way as in the previous post only flattened at the wire stage to get more into a small area, this should help with creating a bit of perspective at the back.

post-13569-0-50843600-1520714513_thumb.jpg

A number of normal trees were also made in various sizes to stand in front of these.

post-13569-0-34386600-1520714560_thumb.jpg

A couple of views of the meadow from the station side. The carriage shed roof has also had a few repairs to improve it's looks.

post-13569-0-21429800-1520714642_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-41611300-1520714663_thumb.jpg

This is the area that has been replaced and currently has four trees stacked between the pool and the backscene on the new board. More work yet to be done including a willow tree still a work in progress but nearing completion.

post-13569-0-26003400-1520715150_thumb.jpg

Then it was onto hedges,

post-13569-0-19636800-1520715333_thumb.jpg

fence posts

post-13569-0-64752300-1520715385_thumb.jpg

rickety railings

post-13569-0-38483700-1520715562_thumb.jpg

and trees and hedges spreading out over what was the empty meadow

post-13569-0-33100300-1520715735_thumb.jpg

After that it was just adding yet more trees, bushes and fencing so I'll just let the pictures do the talking, the more realistic looking ones are the final effect I want to achieve. Enjoy

post-13569-0-31919500-1520716155_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-25890800-1520716177_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-10532700-1520716206_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-02395400-1520716238_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-84837400-1520716257_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-66392700-1520716291_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-46881600-1520716317_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-53944800-1520716340_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-39605700-1520716362_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-36192600-1520716382_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-10794800-1520716415_thumb.jpg

That's it for now apart from showing how the old Oak turned out, but I.ll leave that for later.

Thanks for looking and I'll try not too leave it so long next time though I can't promise anything.

Jim

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Well it's been almost a year since my last post and you must all think that nothing has happened, but a few things have been and I have now decided to catch up with things. It might take a post or three to get it all uploaded as I sort through and resize photo files.

So here goes.

Scenic work has dominated most of my time and in particular trees, this was due to me having this one as a screensaver for a while and I thought to myself "Jim, that's really poor and just isn't right" so it had to go and it was all removed, more on that later. So it was back to the tree making.

post-13569-0-54732800-1476304285_thumb.j

As I am going to show the progress made with 30+ trees it makes sense to show how they are made.

I had always wanted an old Oak to sit in a prominent place on the layout so that you could peek through the almost bare branches at the layout beyond so I set about making one.

First of all I made a wooden block to hold a screw, added solder to the top of the screw and then added wire, 32 cables of 42 strands each (1344 in total).

This is how it looked at the start.

attachicon.gifoak1.JPG

It was then down to twisting into the sort of shape I required. One thing I wanted was for the tree to have a hollow starting to show so this was incorporated into the trunk.

attachicon.gifoak2.JPG

It was then time to start forming the 1344 branches - plus a few extra I wound in - into a tree shape, here's the first few

attachicon.gifoak3.JPG

And here is the finished article, count them if want.

attachicon.gifoak4.JPG

Then I started to cover it with tile grout, a quick spray with water and grout applied through a fine sieve, once dry this was fixed spraying with a thinned brownish varnish, this took several coats until I was happy to see the twists disappear.

attachicon.gifoak6.JPG

The now completed bark finish apart from a little colouring.

attachicon.gifoak8.JPG

A close up of the hollow

attachicon.gifoak7.JPG

Then the addition of finer twigs that will hold the leaves, this was poly fibre donated by the wife who was making a stuffed toy.

attachicon.gifoak9.JPG

This was then teased out very thinly as I don't like too many leaves on tree.

attachicon.gifoak10.JPG

To finish the tree I used my usual mix of coloured tea leaves and powder paint ground up with a mortar & pestle, but more of that in the next post whicch could be a bit picture heavy.

Back in bit

Jim

Jim,

That is just amazing!  I have always noticed that bare trees from a distance appear 'furry' as the small twigs are too small to distinguish so you have it just right.  I love the idea that you have not just gone for a 'bog standard' tree.

Fortunately on Traeth Mawr I will not need any trees.

• RMweb Gold

Part 2

That backscene and tree line had gone so a quick review of the layout indicated that I could get another 70mm in that area tapering down to nothing at the other end, about 14ft away. I thought it best to invest in some of the poly backscenes so that is exactly what I did.

The first ones in position. The meadow opposite the station over the river can be seen to be pretty empty at this stage

attachicon.gifIMG_3036.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3047.JPG

Then it was making some flat trees, these were made in the same way as in the previous post only flattened at the wire stage to get more into a small area, this should help with creating a bit of perspective at the back.

attachicon.gifIMG_3039.JPG

A number of normal trees were also made in various sizes to stand in front of these.

attachicon.gifIMG_3807.JPG

A couple of views of the meadow from the station side. The carriage shed roof has also had a few repairs to improve it's looks.

attachicon.gifIMG_3082a.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3080a.JPG

This is the area that has been replaced and currently has four trees stacked between the pool and the backscene on the new board. More work yet to be done including a willow tree still a work in progress but nearing completion.

attachicon.gifIMG_3059a.JPG

Then it was onto hedges,

attachicon.gifIMG_3130.JPG

fence posts

attachicon.gifIMG_3115.JPG

rickety railings

attachicon.gifIMG_3120.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3158.JPG

After that it was just adding yet more trees, bushes and fencing so I'll just let the pictures do the talking, the more realistic looking ones are the final effect I want to achieve. Enjoy

attachicon.gifIMG_3279a.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3288.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3309.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3364.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3717.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3727.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3818.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3821.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3828.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3838.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3845.JPG

That's it for now apart from showing how the old Oak turned out, but I.ll leave that for later.

Thanks for looking and I'll try not too leave it so long next time though I can't promise anything.

Jim

Amazing Jim, I am speechless.  Well except to say I love the little coach with the big coach.

Part 2

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3047.JPG

IMG_3039.JPG

IMG_3807.JPG

IMG_3082a.JPG

IMG_3080a.JPG

IMG_3059a.JPG

Then it was onto hedges,

IMG_3130.JPG

fence posts

IMG_3115.JPG

rickety railings

IMG_3120.JPG

IMG_3158.JPG

IMG_3279a.JPG

IMG_3288.JPG

IMG_3309.JPG

IMG_3364.JPG

IMG_3717.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3818.JPG

IMG_3821.JPG

IMG_3828.JPG

IMG_3838.JPG

IMG_3845.JPG

Jim

Looks amazing

Ah yes Chris, that little coach was my portrait cutter creation and like you I have a few more waiting for cutting and assembly. Thanks for your comments always appreciated.

Finally a few pics of the Old Oak on the hillside plus another of the hedge with the old rickety fence.

post-13569-0-25342700-1520719119_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-03420400-1520719158_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-24448700-1520719189_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-91373300-1520719217_thumb.jpg

post-13569-0-38509100-1520719249_thumb.jpg

That's it, all up to date now I think so the next project is Mackems farm seen in the background of one of the shots, there is also some rolling stock construction going on but that's for another day.

Thank you all for dropping in and the likes.

Jim

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you posting again, Jim. The old oak is real craftmanship. It would look great in a winter scene too, without leaves.

This view along the stream with the cattle on the left takes the prize for me though, I can sense the atmosphere through the screen!

post-13569-0-39605700-1520716362_thumb.j

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

Hi Mikkel

I must admit that is also one of my favourite shots too and acts as my current screensaver.

I had a carers review recently and got asked how I coped when I was required to be in the home all day, "I make things like this" says I indicating the then just started Oak, I had to explain what it was and show how it would look using that very picture. The care co-ordinator just sat there with her mouth open not believing it was all made from stuff I collect on a day to day basis.

That was when I knew I had cracked it, now to get the rest looking the same, it may take some time.

Thanks for commenting

Jim

• Like 5

Great to see you back Jim, and some really stunning work, you and Kevin / Little Muddle have really inspired me to get on with some more work soon.

More pics when your ready, but please don't leave it a year this time mate. :sungum: