Hemyock - Down on the farm...

aberdare

• RMweb Gold

This is right up my street! Some really evocative modelling of one of my favorite stations. The river looks great, I've never thought of using real dirt for the scenery. Did you sprinkle the dirt onto PVA, or is there some magic technique that i'm not aware of? However you've done it, its looking really good to me, I'll be watching this one with great interest!

Dave

this is looking really really good

i absolutely love the sleeper retaining walls, i was looking to do an embankment up to coaling stage, this would be perfect!

i will definetly be poaching your ideas and methods, thank you and apologies!

Thanks very much and feel free to poach, after all we post on here to share things so there is no problem with that. On my original layout I used the stone wall as I thought it looked better, it shows how we change our minds over the years as I prefer the sleepers now and of course it is prototypical. All I do is look at the photographs and find a way of copying it and I'm glad you like it as I mentioned before I wasn't to sure of the colour.

Jim

This is right up my street! Some really evocative modelling of one of my favorite stations. The river looks great, I've never thought of using real dirt for the scenery. Did you sprinkle the dirt onto PVA, or is there some magic technique that i'm not aware of? However you've done it, its looking really good to me, I'll be watching this one with great interest!

Dave

Hi Dave,

yes the dirt was sprinkled onto PVA.

I originally put it straight on the board but couldn't get enough uneven ground so I used some of the offcuts of cork and the river cutout to make a few bumps. I then had some brown paper that I had kept from some parcels I received and used dilute PVA to secure that before adding the sieved soil, the two tone look is what makes it look better in my opinion. I also found that putting some in my hand and blowing gently I could get a fine covering on the river bank that I had previously misted with dilute PVA, This seems to give the sun dried bank effect ready for the weeds etc to be applied, it also collected on some of the folds on the river bed along with some ballast and this was again misted to secure it before coating with a layer of varnish.

Glad you are enjoying the thread.

Jim

• Like 1

Just a brief update to finish off the fitting of doors and windows and some pictures

The final windows being constructed before fitting. All the windows have now been completed.

post-13569-0-36266400-1349299331_thumb.jpg

The station doors to the booking office were next and these were built onto some clear sheet with all the individual planks glued on separately.

post-13569-0-64993400-1349299490_thumb.jpg

Then the final glazing bars were added from thin paper strips and glued on. I should have put these on first as it would have been a lot easier to stretch them across thw glazing and secure with the side bars. I guess I had other things on my mind and didn't really give it enough thought before diving in. Temporarily hung to see how they look.

post-13569-0-75167700-1349299720_thumb.jpg

I think I might have a break from it now as I had trouble focusing on these toward the end. Then I will tidy it up, paint it, reinforce it and look at fitting the roof, also seeing as how I have opening doors I ought to think about what's inside but then again nobody ever looks inside, do they?

Oh! and I must not forget the signal box and gents loo.

• Like 11

Hi Jim;

I've just found this thread after following you back from the "Posting in layout topics" comment - some really great work!

Looking forward to seeing your story unfold - and have added you to my favourites so I don't miss any updates.

Regards

Scott

Hi Jim,

This is the first time I have looked in on your thread in a while (more fool me!) and the progress and standard of modelling is excellent, real knock out stuff! I have the Oakwood Press book of the line and always thought that it would make a great subject - turns out I was right. I love it when people include things like the working latch and hinges on the cattle dock on a 'because I can' basis. I look forward to seeing this develop.

Keep up the good work.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Hi Jim; I've just found this thread after following you back from the "Posting in layout topics" comment - some really great work! Looking forward to seeing your story unfold - and have added you to my favourites so I don't miss any updates. Regards Scott

Thanks Scott

I am just having a couple of days away from it now as that last window and the doors started to give me double vision when cutting the glazing bars out, I kept getting the thickness wrong and it took me as long to do the one as it did the previous three. Glad you have enjoyed the work so far and as it is only the second building I have ever built - the previous one the engine shed 30 years ago - I am quite happy with it.

The intention over the winter is to complete all the buildings for fitting in the spring.

Once again thanks for the positive comments.and I shall have to look in at your work.

Jim

Hi Jim, This is the first time I have looked in on your thread in a while (more fool me!) and the progress and standard of modelling is excellent, real knock out stuff! I have the Oakwood Press book of the line and always thought that it would make a great subject - turns out I was right. I love it when people include things like the working latch and hinges on the cattle dock on a 'because I can' basis. I look forward to seeing this develop. Keep up the good work. All the best, Castle

Thanks Castle

I don't know about the 'because I can' it was more of a 'I wonder if' :scratchhead: , mainly because I couldn't make up my mind if the cows were going to be arriving, departing or gone and someone was cleaning up. There were also some failures :banghead: and I had to put it aside to wait for inspiration which always come to you when you least expect it, you know one of those eureka moments. The thought of maintaining the standard over what is going to be a large layout is daunting but I have given myself up to 10 years to complete it, the latter of these to overlap with all the kit and scratch building I want to do. That should stop me getting bored.

Thanks again

Jim

• Like 1

Jim, I've caught up with this and like what I see.

I particularly like the use of brown craft paper for the timber beams. A bright idea I must remember. It captures this feature of that rather unique structure.rather well.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Castle

I don't know about the 'because I can' it was more of a 'I wonder if' :scratchhead: , mainly because I couldn't make up my mind if the cows were going to be arriving, departing or gone and someone was cleaning up. There were also some failures :banghead: and I had to put it aside to wait for inspiration which always come to you when you least expect it, you know one of those eureka moments. The thought of maintaining the standard over what is going to be a large layout is daunting but I have given myself up to 10 years to complete it, the latter of these to overlap with all the kit and scratch building I want to do. That should stop me getting bored.

Thanks again

Jim

Morning Jim. I agree entirely with the highlighted "philosophy". The problem is, once you start a thread on here, things seem to speed up exponentially! The help, suggestions, encouragement etc will cut a lot of time off your projected "completion". After 4 months actual layout work I'm now where I expected to be in about a year. All due to not working in the dark and the input from the guys on here, yourself included.

I agree about the scratchbuild aspect. That's something I've never done a lot of - before the viaducts. A group of RMwebbers have inspired me to scratchbuild almost everything and, like you, will ensure I never get bored!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi John

I know you were looking forward to work on the buildings and at the rate I am going I will finish them all over the winter, I am particularly looking forward to the cottages next to the buttery as they are thatched and that is a challenge I have never faced before. I am keeping my eyes open wherever I go for suitable materials and can often be seen with odd items in my hand with that' I wonder if..' look again.

Morning Jeff

You are right about the encouragement speeding progress as like you I have achieved much more than I thought, but then again I have a lot more time to devote to it than I have ever had. Since my last progress report I reviewed my model and then made some slight changes as the pictures showed a few annoying little details, so much for having a break. I think this hobby can sometimes become a bit of an obsession.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Obsession? Yes, the hobby does overwhelm everything else! When I suggested a similar thing on another thread, a reply came in describing the condition as the "RMweb effect". Very true.

The desire to get things done to the best of one's ability is to be applauded.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Another update on the progress on the station building, it has been a little slower than I would have liked due to other priorities in life. However, some more work has been completed or even changed and hopefully for the better.

I was not entirely happy with the brickwork against the beams, the latter being set into the bricks when studying the photographs so as I had some embossed brick sheet left over from the platform it seemed logical to use that and match the colours a bit more. I cut a couple of small squares to fit between the beams and was happy with the result so set about replacing all the brickwork with the embossed bricks. I'd just like to point out the cigar box was my fathers and has nothing to do with me apart from storing mini drills etc.

post-13569-0-50178000-1350839670_thumb.jpg

The long section at the back of the building took the most work as it had to go up between the windows and the beam ends that do not reach the base of the building. The end posts and centre sections were added by this time to complete and strengthen the structure prior to the roof being added. Just as additional note we all know how plastic sticks to card so I scored the back of each piece to give extra grip, it seemed to work as I had to remove one piece I fitted upside down and it tore off the brick paper and card surface!

I also started on the signal box while waiting for previous work to dry by cutting out the basic sides in card again. A scored section of embossed sheet is inn the foreground.

post-13569-0-51363800-1350840366_thumb.jpg

The siganal box was then continued by adding plastic strips for the window frames and corner posts. The glazing was also added and the window glazing bars added by the usual sticky label method, with hindsight it may have been easier to have built it around a glazed box but all in all I think it will do. The planking was added by cutting strips of the brown card and then given an initial coat of white. Photographs of the early box seem to show it was either white or cream or a combination of both, certainly later it would appear to be brown (posts) and cream. I shall try a couple of variations to see which I like best.

I also tried making some roof tiles but gave up on those and purchased some Wills pantiles, though I think they are a little big they look OK. Of course your opinions would be most welcome.

post-13569-0-96179200-1350841278_thumb.jpg

I have temporarily added a strip for the ridge tiles and I think I will proceed with making them from this. I think the platform and building are now much closer in appearance and think the change of mind was worth the effort.

I think I will tackle the box roof and the sets for the platform next which will have to be made and fixed individually to match the thickness of the edging bricks, that should pass a few evenings away. The roof of each building will not be fixed yet to allow me to detail the insides.

I shall update again when the last stages are complete, then it'll be onto the engine or carriage shed.

• Like 14

Hi Eggesford,

Thanks for the reply an no I didn't think about those I just looked at the UK choices. I found the height to be OK but the width is just over 4mm which to me seems overly wide for a Pantile, especially one that is laid. All my experience of tiles on old houses has been with tiles of less than 14 inches or so of width showing when laid. But like you say some others could just be too small.

I'll just leave it to grow on me for now.

Well the signal box is almost there apart from internal detail and nameplate so it was time to start on the platform surface, this as it happened turned into a disaster, well in fact I think the last few days modelling has been poor. I really must concentrate more, what happened to that man who was known for his meticulous methods and eye for detail when he was working?

First the box, I completed the roof by making it from card and then applied individual slates which went well until I decided I could fit the slates without marking out where they should go on the second side, resulting in misalignment, they all had to come off,be recut and fitted again. At least they are on now but another thing was I couldn't even get a decent photo that day!!

I have since found while checking the roof line that at the time I model the 'Gents' was also a roofless one so I now have to model that and the planks on the back of the box. I shall do the former with a stone floor and gutter as I don't think they would have spent money on tiles, or a flushing system come to that.

Right, now for the platform disaster. I cut out the sets and started to lay them but it soon became apparent that they really needed rounded corners so I spent a lot of time just nipping them off as can be seen by a few laying about.

post-13569-0-23229700-1351372268_thumb.jpg

I then decided that when I reached the end of the building I would try and grout the stones to check the finish, which I did and this was the result.

post-13569-0-24252800-1351372501_thumb.jpg

The stones were now darker than the edging stones and the grout was lighter, not what I intended at all. It was at this point when you put your head in your hands, kick yourself, and call yourself something unprintable. Unlike the edging stones I had forgotten to seal the surface of the card, Arrrghh. The black from the grout mixture had soaked into the stones.

After staring at it for a while and resigning myself to the fact, it had to come off, during this I saw the finish I had hoped to achieve. That little patch where the grout is darker than the stone.

post-13569-0-33920900-1351372899_thumb.jpg

It is all clear now ready for another go. I spent the evening cutting out new stones - with corners - and will fit these after a good nights sleep, I shall concentrate a bit more and hopefully it should go well. I think it will take the best part of a week to complete it so I'd better not mess it up. Anyway the signal box in the second pic doesn't look too bad (I can pick holes in that as well if I want) and I have decided it will be in this colour not cream.

I'm glad to have got that lot off my chest, now I can relax, stay calm and complete the build.

Thanks for sharing my frustrations and disasters.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim.

It's amazing what effect sharing a disaster can have - I've found it's good therapy. A bit more patience and another go, and it'll work. The end result will look superb and authentic. Good luck!

Jeff

• Like 1

Cheers Jeff

I think it was one of those weeks when my mind was on other things and when that happens it is probably best to keep away from the models for a bit. The patience was still there it was the lack of forethought that was the problem, in other words 'what will happen if I do this', or even 'now, have I done everything else first?'.

At least I made the mistake on this platform and not the junction one which will be 7 or 8ft long. :O .

But as you said, I felt a lot better once I'd shared it.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress with the platform paving but I am just over halfway through, I think around another seven or eight hundred stones should see it completed. I had to leave it alone for a bit as a spell of muscular problems meant I couldn't cut straight to save my life, so now I'm going to spend the next few evenings cutting the stones and trimming the corners until I have enough to stick down.

Progress so far.

post-13569-0-54359200-1352218981_thumb.jpg

There are just under 300 stones on the ramp alone.

Just to avoid too much boredom and break the monotony I have also started on the fencing, mind you cutting out the uprights can be just as tedious so I am making some jigs to speed up the process and get some consistency as I have found this to be the biggest issue. I will also address a couple of issues on the signal box that the photographs showed up, funnily enough they looked OK in normal conditions.

post-13569-0-82480700-1352219190_thumb.jpg

I'll be glad when this is complete as it is the biggest task on the branch, or is it? Time will tell as I get to the other buildings which I hope will be easier as I learn more with each build.

Right enough chat and back to the job in hand.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Patience is a virtue Jim, and you clearly have plenty of it!

I've definitely come to the conclusion that there's nothing quite like building your own stuff. I think I'd soon get bored if I was presented with a complete layout, however well-made. Much more fun - despite the disasters(!) - to construct it yourself, no matter how long it takes.

So keep plodding on with those stones. Cutting a few hundred more will certainly keep you out of mischief!!

Jeff

Cheers Jeff

I always have had patience which is why this layout is going to last me a few years, the fun is in the building and when /if it gets to a finished state I'll be going back to the things that annoy me and rebuilding them. Mind you I've still got all those kits to build yet, or I'll have nothing to run on it :O .

Another 300 or so bricks cut tonight waiting for fitting, one more night should do it.

Jim

Oo! passed 100 posts today, it only took a year!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

At least you have posted! Over half the members of the Forum have less than 10 posts. The fun of being a member is getting involved, discussing, asking questions and learning. I'm with you on the time thing. Kirkby Luneside was designed as a 5 year build. If it gets done before that, I'll use the experience I've gained to improve it!

Great to see projects like yours. If I'm selfish, I could say they'll inspire me when it comes to scratchbuilding my station. I have plenty of photos and drawings. Next year, we will see.

Jeff

PS. Many thanks for the comment about my viaduct!

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...