Hemyock - Down on the farm...

aberdare

WOW Jim that is just brilliant, it has just the right look about it, ate you going to blacken the timbers or leave tham a bleached ash colour? either way Well done mate.

All the  best,

The Old Hemster? :sungum: 

• Like 1

Thanks Jason and Andy (100 replies up, thanks lads)

As for the timbers the ones exposed on the roof will be white (limewashed ) on the underside where the painters could get to them, those on  the top surface will be blackened as they would have got covered in dust and soot. I know what that looks like as I renovated a barn once and got covered in the stuff when replacing the roof.

The others will be the colours you see plus some additional muck again on any upper surfaces. It's a bit of pain waiting for paint to dry between coats though.

Jim

Thanks Billyb

Good of you to pop along to the Culm Valley light railway and see what's going on. My buildings are a mix of materials as you could see so I could find what works best for me, as for the detail I just study the pictures and try and make what's there, but as you've seen it doesn't always work and it takes a couple of attempts before I'm happy. 

Glad your getting ideas though, I got most of mine off here too it's a great place to be.

Jim 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim, just been through your thread once more, your buildings and landscaping is so pleasing to look at I thought I'd do a re-run :-) 

The way you spend time on each sub-project and treat it like a labour of love (rather than something that has to be finished so we can move on) is very appealing and clearly results in high quality work. It's also a clever way to avoid stress :-)

• Like 1

I'd like to be associated with the comments of the previous posters :D  Your attention to detail with the roof of the shed is amazing.  Somehow the hole in the roof makes the shed look more, erm, whole... 

Thanks Michael

I know you said before that you admired my patience on this model and it was certainly needed right through, it was stretched a bit when doing the curve on the front but that was my own fault for attempting something that I wasn't in the mood for, I would have been better of leaving it for a bit. However it was a minor hiccup in the grand scheme of things and is soon forgotten.

The hole, yes it does look better than a large tiled area so thanks to all those who helped convince me it was the right thing to do.

On with the finishing details now, I don't know how long that will take but I know I have already passed my intended finish date of end of January, I'll just try for this month instead.

Jim

Stefan

Thank you for the reply and positive comment

It was the realistic element that I was particularly after so I'm glad you found it to be so, all I want is for it to look like the shed in the photographs and if I can get somewhere near I will be a happy man.

Now if only I can do that on my locos....... always been a bit of a weakness up till now.

Jim

Hi Jim, just been through your thread once more, your buildings and landscaping is so pleasing to look at I thought I'd do a re-run :-) 

The way you spend time on each sub-project and treat it like a labour of love (rather than something that has to be finished so we can move on) is very appealing and clearly results in high quality work. It's also a clever way to avoid stress :-)

Hi Mikkel

Glad you enjoyed it so much that you went through it again.

I do set a target to try and finish by on each thing I do, but as I learnt through my working life projects overrun so I am quite accepting of that especially when it means the end result is what I want. As for the de-stressing I agree, I am quite happy to sit and and work my way through each task alone with my thoughts and solving the issues of the day, but then again quite a few people have said I am the most meticulous and calm man they know, I'm not too sure about the first one though as I have had my 'couldn't give a ....' moments.

This is my last attempt at building this dream of mine so I am determined to get it right, some aspects may not be to the purists taste but I know I have to accept some compromises somewhere but the overall impression of the place isn't one of them.

Thanks for looking in again.

Jim

ps I might start introducing some of the characters who work at the station later as it progresses, now I wonder who gave me that idea???

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jim,

Well done it looks great!  :yes:

I have had a look for figures to do the repair and these may be of use.  The first set is Scale Link and I do not know what the quality is like:

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Figures___Scale_1_76__OO_.html

The second lot are Preiser, third group down, and will need backdating, and are a bit small:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/search_results.asp?searchstring=pr10%20brand~~583~~brand&searchtitle=exclusive%20figures&currentpage=13

Or finally there is good old Langley which probably don't:

http://www.langley-models.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_OO_Scale_Accessories_F77_to_F123_NEW_KITS_released_14.html

I have seen models of saws and lathes and wotnot but I would need to have a search around for them.  I can look if you are interested.  It is what comes of wanting to model 1895 and not actually having much time to model so I spend my time looking for suitable figures to go on my layout when I build it.  As when I build coaches I fill them with people I need quite a few.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1

Hi Chris

Thanks for that, I did have the Langley figures once so I may have to have a look through my boxes to see if I still have them, Iv'e a feeling though that they were one of the things I lost over the years.

I have also seen the tools but can't remember where, I was starting to think of ways to make my own but if you do find them let me know please as I can then get on with something else.

Thanks for your comment and help.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

I've just been doing some catching up here.  Gobsmacked.  That's some modelling on that shed of yours.  Inspiring.  At some point, I'll be building one based on SHL from plans and elevations in Great Western Region Engine Sheds London Division.  Maybe, I'll wait until I'm retired for that one while I collect how-to-do-it samples like yours...  Interesting - most of my shed will have wooden walls, too, in vertical match boarding.  It is said this was temporary to allow for future expansion.  That didn't happen, of course, and it was eventually knocked down and a new one built in the early 50s. 

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris

Thanks for that, I did have the Langley figures once so I may have to have a look through my boxes to see if I still have them, Iv'e a feeling though that they were one of the things I lost over the years.

I have also seen the tools but can't remember where, I was starting to think of ways to make my own but if you do find them let me know please as I can then get on with something else.

Thanks for your comment and help.

Jim

Jim,

There are some Langley models on another page with a tree trunk saw, Shire Scenes on the Scale Link site has these two wood saws:

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Shire_Scenes_1_76_scale.html

and it Scale Link there is the woodcutting set, about half way down:

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Scenic___Scale_1_76__OO_.html

I am sure I have seen lathes and things but they are probaly buried deep in wargaming sites along with sets of fireplaces (war gamers want fireplaces to put in bombed buildings along with damaged furniture) so if you wish I can look for those but it may take a while.  It is a 'finishing touch' so I am not sure if you want to have everything completed before moving on or not.

• Like 1

If you are after workshop tools, Wills do a good set in whitemetal (SSAM102). I used it for an engine shed interior, which you can see here and here. Preiser and Noch do sets with lathes etc. too, I can't remember what catalogue numbers they were but I know Gaugemaster stocked them. There was also a company in the US doing etched details including spanners, hammers, etc... can't remember the name sadly.

For the lineside, Cooper Craft do nicely moulded (and good value) plastic sets of workmens' tools (barrow, picks and spades) and platelayers' tools (rail benders, jacks etc.)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

If you are after workshop tools, Wills do a good set in whitemetal (SSAM102). I used it for an engine shed interior, which you can see here and here. Preiser and Noch do sets with lathes etc. too, I can't remember what catalogue numbers they were but I know Gaugemaster stocked them. There was also a company in the US doing etched details including spanners, hammers, etc... can't remember the name sadly.

For the lineside, Cooper Craft do nicely moulded (and good value) plastic sets of workmens' tools (barrow, picks and spades) and platelayers' tools (rail benders, jacks etc.)

I knew I had seen them, just could not remember where especially as I spent a happy few days trawling through wargaming sites looking for 19th century civillians and found lots of interesting stuff. (Most of my modelling is packed away ready to move,)

I looked through Gaugemaster yesterday and could not see the tools though, maybe I just missed them.

Thanks Michael and Chris

They are all very useful links and at least they won't be lost or forgotten now, I often think when I am searching that I should record where I see these things but always think 'no I can remember that' then promptly forget it.

The woodsaw set is the first on the list as I hope to complete the fallen branch incident later in the year once the layout is established in its new home.

Thanks again for you help, much appreciated.

Jim

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

I've just been doing some catching up here.  Gobsmacked.  That's some modelling on that shed of yours.  Inspiring.  At some point, I'll be building one based on SHL from plans and elevations in Great Western Region Engine Sheds London Division.  Maybe, I'll wait until I'm retired for that one while I collect how-to-do-it samples like yours...  Interesting - most of my shed will have wooden walls, too, in vertical match boarding.  It is said this was temporary to allow for future expansion.  That didn't happen, of course, and it was eventually knocked down and a new one built in the early 50s. 

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Polly

Thanks Polly 

I remember you saying you were thinking of utilising the Ratio kit for your model but I can recommend scratch building one, the only long winded part on mine was actually the roof because of the exposed end timbers and then I just got carried away with producing my own tiles. Unfortunately I now have to make enough for three more buildings so they all match, at least they are only half the size of the completed one. The building itself though and the planks progressed pretty quickly.

Best of luck with whatever you decide and remember we are always here to offer support and encouragement.

Jim

When I built my shed I asked on the NGRM narrow-gauge forum for ideas of interior details. As I said already I went for the Wills workshop details, but here are some of the other suggestions:

"Preiser do some tools - cat # 18356, workshop equipment - cat #17185 and 17706, and Noch do some workshop accessories - cat #14850"

http://www.rustystumps.com/products.asp?cat=32

Vector Cut: http://www.vectorcut.com/

Langley, Springside and Dart Castings were also suggested, but I can't recall if I found anything suitable.

• Like 1

Hi Jim

I've just found this through the Lunester Tag and I wish I'd found it earlier.

I go to south east Devon every year and have driven and walked most of it but don't know Hemyock yet. This is definately a place I need to see if only to note the changes from the period you're modelling.

As many others have already said, brilliant, exceptional, outstanding etc. The level of detail, time and patience is amazing. I really need to get better at scratch building and there's a lot to learn from people like yourself

Looking forward to the progress updates.

Duncan - Another Lunester

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I built my shed I asked on the NGRM narrow-gauge forum for ideas of interior details. As I said already I went for the Wills workshop details, but here are some of the other suggestions:

"Preiser do some tools - cat # 18356, workshop equipment - cat #17185 and 17706, and Noch do some workshop accessories - cat #14850"

http://www.rustystumps.com/products.asp?cat=32

Vector Cut: http://www.vectorcut.com/

Langley, Springside and Dart Castings were also suggested, but I can't recall if I found anything suitable.

Obviously someone who has needed them and used them rather than myself who happened to see them, went 'Wow' and moved on.

The Rusty Stump website, which I have book marked, reminded me of Scale Structures, anothe American company which I found while I was looking for furniture. (It is cheaper than House of Leather!)  In the end I decided to scratch build a desk and the chimney stacks inside my station building as it may be unlit and even if it was you would have to look through the window anyway.

The link is to their workshop equipment which looks pretty good.

http://66.241.223.134/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=jaks&Category_Code=SS9000

• Like 1

Just back from a day in Nottingham for a family visit and am working my way through things now.

Many thanks for all the positive comments, likes and advice for those little detailing bits.

Michael and Chris, thanks again for all the great links I have just had a quick look through and as I have a larger station to model in the future a lot of those bits will be very useful indeed, The Indian figure gave me a smile though thinking how he would have gone down with the locals in Hemyock in 1905 :) , thanks again for the links, never again will I have to Google search for items now they are stored here. I had not thought about looking at the US sites before due to postage costs, but if the items are ideal then a one off package with plenty in could make it worthwhile.

I just love the help and advice that is given freely and willingly on here, long may it last.

Thanks 

Jim

• Like 1

Jim, I've just spent more than a few moments looking this, I do admire your skill, patience and persistence. That's what the results show in spades.

John

Good to have you drop in for another look. You have to remember that when I joined this site it was layouts like your own that inspired me to achieve the very best that I could, I seem to be doing that and the comments from yourself and others will continue to spur me on through the long journey to completion.

Though some aspects may not be to everyones taste as long as the whole gives me and others some enjoyment then I will be content.

Jim

...The Indian figure gave me a smile though thinking how he would have gone down with the locals in Hemyock in 1905 :) ...

It might have been unusual in a small place like Hemyock, but they had been widespread in the UK from at least the eighteenth century. Indeed some US sources say they came from England. Tobacco came from America, so an "indian" was an obvious way to advertise.

Nick

• Like 1