Hemyock - Down on the farm...

aberdare

Hi Jim

I've just found this through the Lunester Tag and I wish I'd found it earlier.

I go to south east Devon every year and have driven and walked most of it but don't know Hemyock yet. This is definately a place I need to see if only to note the changes from the period you're modelling.

As many others have already said, brilliant, exceptional, outstanding etc. The level of detail, time and patience is amazing. I really need to get better at scratch building and there's a lot to learn from people like yourself

Looking forward to the progress updates.

Duncan - Another Lunester

Hi Duncan

Welcome to the thread.

Until I started on here I had only ever completed one building and that was the engine shed, at the time I thought it was wonderful but I now know differently from seeing the standards on here. I don't think any of us know our abilities or limitations until we push them to the limits and look at the results, luckily I do have patience and will persevere to get what I want, I make plenty of mistakes too and hopefully learn from them and move on.

If my efforts encourage you and others to have a go, that's great and I'm still hoping to improve so I don't mess it up first time and have to do it again.

If you go down to Hemyock by any chance I would love a picture of the road bridge over the river next to the station site, I seem to have lost mine as it has taken me so long to build this.

Thanks for looking in

Jim

Hi Nick

Just saw your post come through, thanks for the historical insight, a great little article. More useful stuff for me to absorb.

Jim

Thanks John

Iv'e never been one to think I am or can do anything special, I just like to try my best and see what the result is.

It was a pleasure to meet you too and I enjoyed our conversation, I would like to have stayed longer but unfortunately I was needed back at home once my daughter had left. If I can make the arrangements I will try and attend Stafford next with the wife.

Jim

Thanks John

Iv'e never been one to think I am or can do anything special, I just like to try my best and see what the result is.

It was a pleasure to meet you too and I enjoyed our conversation, I would like to have stayed longer but unfortunately I was needed back at home once my daughter had left. If I can make the arrangements I will try and attend Stafford next with the wife.

Jim

That's a good venue, Jim. Wait for Andy's announcements.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to another update on the build so far.

The carriage shed has progressed further with the last planks added and paint being added, it is almost completed now except for the support struts which will be fitted once the boards are in their final resting place in the new building, then it will be the final paint and finishing to take any shine off it and of course add a bit of dirt.

One thing that was missing was the repair work being undertaken so in preparation for this I decided to make a ladder, so I got a couple of bits of 1mm half round strip for the sides and chopped up some 0.5mm rod into 3mm lengths for the steps. 

post-13569-0-04522200-1361718670_thumb.jpg

and then started to add the steps to the sides, how hard can it be?

post-13569-0-03515300-1361718710_thumb.jpg

Obviously not too bad as about an hour later I had this, it was a bit fiddly though.

post-13569-0-42689500-1361718844_thumb.jpg

and then added to the shed

post-13569-0-37810000-1361718937_thumb.jpg

I also had a root through the scrap box for a few bits of plastic and wood to make the coaling stage alongside, the plastic was scribed to create stones as per the original and the wood strips were fixed to some posts made from square section plastic. After slapping a bit of paint on and adding some coal it looks like this.

post-13569-0-45485800-1361719231_thumb.jpg

A bit more work needed once the present coats are fully dry.

I also had a ratio water tower tucked away in the kit box so built that up with a few mods and though there is still a bit more to do to make it just like the original  I have photographed it along with the rest of the bits.

post-13569-0-27097400-1361719499_thumb.jpg

I'm still debating as to whether or not to add the final details to the tower as they are not really noticeable, it just depends on how much it bothers me. Maybe I just need to stop looking at the photographs so closely and except a few minor differences.

Finally a view down the line similar to those seen in the books.

post-13569-0-81756100-1361719867_thumb.jpg

The next step is to start on drawing up the engine shed and completing outstanding jobs, such as nameboard, fencing, lamps etc. These should keep me occupied until I get my new garage and then fit everything into place once and for all, that will be good to do as the layout itself has suffered a bit over the winter as the current garage is hardly fully resistant to the extremes of the weather we have had, this is what prevents me from further outdoor progress.

I hope you have enjoyed the latest update and I'll be back later with an engine shed.

Jim

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

You're really getting somewhere on this project, Jim, looks like a real railway. Your structures are superb. I like the ladder. You could probably have bought it but the satisfaction of scratch building even small things is much better.

• Like 1

Thanks Mikkel

Seeing a few more items on there has started to bring it together now and it has spurred me on to get the Engine shed built, once I have got the drawing done I will order up any parts I need if I don't already have them. I did feel I needed a break after the tiling marathon, luckily the next building had slates so I should race along building that.

As for the small items - like ladders - it was just a nice simple change from the larger stuff and I just had to give it a go to see what it was like, it's all good practice for more complex items in the future.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jim,

I do like the look of your layout.  It is good to see inside with the 'broken' roof.  It is the sort of thing that others will want to copy.

Will you insulate the garage or is it just more substantial?  I have always told my wife that garages and sheds are no good unless they are insulated, and I am fairly sure the loft in the new house will be too small as the temperature differences up there would be dreadful.

Is your 4 wheel coach a Ratio, or something else?

It's not just the insulation that can be a problem in garages. In the storms last year mine flooded from the inside - the ground in the surrounding area was so water-logged that it bubbled up through cracks in the concrete floor like mini-springs :-(:-(

Jim

You seem to be moving forward again Jim, that shed with the hole in the roof looks very authentic, the surrounding are also looks very good.  :locomotive:

Look forward to seeing more updates over the coming weeks. :declare:

Hopefully we will also meet up again soon, at an exhibition somewhere and compare notes.  :boast:

We never did get that drink together  :no:

Jim,

I do like the look of your layout.  It is good to see inside with the 'broken' roof.  It is the sort of thing that others will want to copy.

Will you insulate the garage or is it just more substantial?  I have always told my wife that garages and sheds are no good unless they are insulated, and I am fairly sure the loft in the new house will be too small as the temperature differences up there would be dreadful.

Is your 4 wheel coach a Ratio, or something else?

Hi Chris

Thanks very much, as for the roof I still have the figures to paint for the repair team but that will have to wait until later in its new home. The garage will be insulated but that will be as and when funds allow but at least I will have somewhere a bit more draught proof and without the odd leak, it may extend my modelling season a bit too.

The coach is a Ratio one, I have six in total plus some of the shirescenes sides to make other types though I will look to scratchbuild some of the early stock later, out of plastic of course.

I hope you get 'permission' for somewhere suitable to build in. it took two years for me to (nearly) empty the garage after downsizing.

Jim

It's not just the insulation that can be a problem in garages. In the storms last year mine flooded from the inside - the ground in the surrounding area was so water-logged that it bubbled up through cracks in the concrete floor like mini-springs :-(:-(

Sorry to hear about that!!

Luckily enough I do live near the bottom of a hill and the water rushes past if it rains heavily, a previous house of mine was in an area of underground springs so I can relate to your problems. At least this is more of a large workshop as I am getting a wooden floor which will be raised off the current concrete pad.

Jim

Jim

You seem to be moving forward again Jim, that shed with the hole in the roof looks very authentic, the surrounding are also looks very good.  :locomotive:

Look forward to seeing more updates over the coming weeks. :declare:

Hopefully we will also meet up again soon, at an exhibition somewhere and compare notes.  :boast:

We never did get that drink together  :no:

Hi Billy

Thanks, I do need to complete the current buildings plus the engine shed and then I will have at least one half of the current boards finished this year, I can then concentrate on building the butter factory and cottages as well as the rest of the station. Plenty of fencing to make too which is pretty time consuming, so I may well have lots of room to play in but it will be a while before it is filled.

My next exhibition could be York, but if not then it may well be the members day if/when we get one! I'll try and remember not to get side tracked right up until it is time to leave should we meet up, then we can have that drink and a chat.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris

Thanks very much, as for the roof I still have the figures to paint for the repair team but that will have to wait until later in its new home. The garage will be insulated but that will be as and when funds allow but at least I will have somewhere a bit more draught proof and without the odd leak, it may extend my modelling season a bit too.

The coach is a Ratio one, I have six in total plus some of the shirescenes sides to make other types though I will look to scratchbuild some of the early stock later, out of plastic of course.

I hope you get 'permission' for somewhere suitable to build in. it took two years for me to (nearly) empty the garage after downsizing.

Jim

Jim,

I have a number of ratio kits and I am attempting Shire Scenes sides.  I thought it would be as easy as plastic but I have never worked with brass so it has been a steep learning curve.  If I do a 00 feeder for my 009 layout, or is it the other way round, then I shall build some more with Shire Scenes sides and amybe look at some 6 wheelers.  I have three Kemilway 6 wheelers which will be interesting as I will probably have to put a cleminson wheel set on them.

Coaches from plastic.  All 19th century coaches had a tumblehome, some at 90 degrees to each other.  How would you model that?  I thought about some sort of cylinder filled with hot water but it is not as easy as forming a curved roof.

I will follow with interest.  There are not many late Victorian, Edwardian threads, and even less locos.  Well ones that are not made of brass and need expert soldering.  Still, when I've moved I shall take a serious look at stuff, although I already have lots to do and to build.

Hope you are both keeping well.

Coaches from plastic.  All 19th century coaches had a tumblehome, some at 90 degrees to each other.  How would you model that?  I thought about some sort of cylinder filled with hot water but it is not as easy as forming a curved roof.

Chris

Luckily for me the coaches I need did not have a tumblehome so that makes life easier, I think - if my memory is correct - that the panelling even has square corners which is why I thought about building them. As for forming them if I needed I did think of making a wooden former to wrap them to before dunking in hot water, a bit time consuming to make but it should do a few if well sealed.

Other than that I would use formers at the compartment partitions and under the seats at the ends, I know I'll end up doing it one day as there are quite a few coaches Iv'e seen that give off that 'must have' urge.

I have looked at the Cleminson wheel set too and Followed 'Il Dottores' challenge thread last year to see how it went.. Let me know how it goes if you start before me (more than likely).

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chris

Luckily for me the coaches I need did not have a tumblehome so that makes life easier, I think - if my memory is correct - that the panelling even has square corners which is why I thought about building them. As for forming them if I needed I did think of making a wooden former to wrap them to before dunking in hot water, a bit time consuming to make but it should do a few if well sealed.

Other than that I would use formers at the compartment partitions and under the seats at the ends, I know I'll end up doing it one day as there are quite a few coaches Iv'e seen that give off that 'must have' urge.

I have looked at the Cleminson wheel set too and Followed 'Il Dottores' challenge thread last year to see how it went.. Let me know how it goes if you start before me (more than likely).

Jim

Jim,

What coaches are they?  I have a copy of GWR Coaches in pictures to 1912, or something like that. 

I had not thought of formers.  If the plasticard is thin enough that would work, wouldn't it!

I have lots of projects on the go, but there are important reasons why I should finish off some Shire Scenes sides coaches.  In fact it is the only modelling that has not been put away for the move but I have not touched it since, umm November when I went to a conference.

Some projects, like my station, could be progressed but I am at a point where it would make more sense to finish it off on a layout, which is a long way off, but building a represntation of the cottage I honeymooned in is one job that you can do in small bits so will muscle its way in as I do not have to think much about that.  Then there is painting figures, well you need people inside coaches don't you!  Lots of them or the railway will go bust and we will have to give up running trains!  ;)

So I may or may not start a cleminson before you but thanks for the tip about the thread.

Have fun

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jim,

Time to visit Hemyock - since you spend so long on KL!!

Photos in post 130 show real progress. Great stuff. You're not thinking of changing the period of the layout (intimated on KL/Lounge), are you?

Interesting discussion on garages. I've got more insulation in my garage conversion than the rest of the house. With a heater it's been possible to get the temperature up all during the winter, so work could continue. 

Jeff

Time to visit Hemyock - since you spend so long on KL!!

Photos in post 130 show real progress. Great stuff. You're not thinking of changing the period of the layout (intimated on KL/Lounge), are you?

Cheers Jeff

It's surprising how a few small changes can make a difference and almost complete the picture.

No, there is no period change as all my stock has been chosen for this period, it was a time of great change for the design and livery of most things on the GWR and I want too capture as much of that as I can in the years to come.

I'll have to go and check what I said now! 

Jim

Chris - I'll check on the coaches but I know it will be similar to one in Jim Russels book Vol1, it has 'Hemyock' on the sole bar but that particular one may be a bit too early.

• RMweb Premium

Pictures are very illuminating, Jim.  Thanks for posting.

With lots to think about, I'm gleaning as much as I can before I start.  For instance, that ladder of yours.  I'll be needing one for the water softening tower so it's good see that it can be done.  I'll have a go at that first before I tackle something like the footbridge.  :scratchhead:

I had a go at painting the wood planks on a Wills barrow and trolley this afternoon and spent ages putting paint on then rubbing it off.  Then when I thought I had it, it dried much darker than I expected, so had another go by which time I was in artificial light.  See what daylight brings....

Polly

• RMweb Gold

Chris - I'll check on the coaches but I know it will be similar to one in Jim Russels book Vol1, it has 'Hemyock' on the sole bar but that particular one may be a bit too early.

Jim,

Found it, thanks.  Yes 1854 does seem a bit early to have survived until 1905(?).  I suppose it depends on how important they thought the line was to replace the stock with 4 wheelers being displaced from elsewhere.  You could probably get away with one.

What is interesting is that they are almost the same design as Talyllyn Railway carriages built at the same time.

• RMweb Gold

Jim, you may be interested in these coaches that I bought secondhand a long time ago:

blogentry-738-018315500%201286651569_thu

This one is the third in Russell page 11 which has Culm Valley on the solebars. I sold them recently (with a bleeding heart!) to generate some funds.

There are more photos here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/75/entry-4887-hand-me-down-coaches/

- and a little story here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/75/entry-5696-undecided-sky-1867/

• Like 4

Jim,

Found it, thanks.  Yes 1854 does seem a bit early to have survived until 1905(?).  I suppose it depends on how important they thought the line was to replace the stock with 4 wheelers being displaced from elsewhere.  You could probably get away with one.

What is interesting is that they are almost the same design as Talyllyn Railway carriages built at the same time.

Hi Chris

I got a bit tied up with other things for a while so didn't have time to spend looking them up, but Yes you have found the one with Culm Valley not Hemyock on the solebar. According to one book I have it came from the Monmouth Railway and canal company to the GWR in 1875 and appeared on the line on opening in 1876, apparently it was built in Liverpool in 1848 so maybe the same carriage builders supplied other Welsh companies. It just goes to show that the coach was already 28 years old when sent to Hemyock so it would appear there wasn't much importance in supplying state of the art stock!

There was certainly some three compartment stock still running on the line just before the turn of the century, it would appear that in the early 1900s some four compartment stock was found and used, I can see there was a composite and what appears to be a three compartment brake third used so I may see what I can find and base them on those in fig10,p14 and fig17, p17 in JHs book. At least they have no tumblehome and and square panelling which should simplify things. 

Plenty of interesting research to do before I get the plastic and knife out.

Jim 

• Like 1

Jim, you may be interested in these coaches that I bought secondhand a long time ago:

blogentry-738-018315500%201286651569_thu

This one is the third in Russell page 11 which has Culm Valley on the solebars. I sold them recently (with a bleeding heart!) to generate some funds.

There are more photos here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/75/entry-4887-hand-me-down-coaches/

- and a little story here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/75/entry-5696-undecided-sky-1867/

Hi Mikkel

I'm envious of the fact that you had one once, I would love to have had that model and I can understand why you were loath to part with it, having seen some of the models you have sold and are selling I would have found it extremely difficult to part with any of them, if I had the money they would be all residing in my house.

I remember now going through your blogs when I first joined and being inspired by your models and thinking that is how I want mine to look, I have a lot of work ahead of me but will get there in the end with plenty of time and patience . I feel I want to have a go at coach building now but I must resist and and concentrate on the buildings first.

Thanks for posting the images and links.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wish I had at least kept the measurements which would have been handy for projects like yours.

The main reason I am selling some of my stock is simply that funds are tight at the moment (like so many others we have been hit by the financial crisis). When selecting what to sell I have discovered that (when forced to choose) I would rather keep the commonplace stock that I have built myself, than the unusual stock that I have obtained secondhand.

Anyway, it will be fascinating to follow your building of these coaches when you get to that point. With your skills I know we all have something to look forward to.

I wish I had at least kept the measurements which would have been handy for projects like yours.

The main reason I am selling some of my stock is simply that funds are tight at the moment (like so many others we have been hit by the financial crisis). When selecting what to sell I have discovered that (when forced to choose) I would rather keep the commonplace stock that I have built myself, than the unusual stock that I have obtained secondhand.

I think we all know the feeling well Mikkel, I sold off a lot of kits and stock that I had for years, but I think it was for the best as I am now more focused on a particular period.

As for the sizes of the coach you had once, it was recorded as being 13ft long, so I can work out the height and wheel size - they are smaller than later ones - as for the width I would have to make a guess, no more than 8ft though. I thought that with the length being so short the compartments would be to narrow at a little over 4ft each but I noticed that some Holden stock was only 4' 93/so an early coach like this with basic bench seats probably would be narrow.

Whatever the size is I don't believe too many people would say it was wrong. It is certainly a tempting little project and a challenge that I do not believe I can resist, I wonder where we find the extra time needed to achieve all our ambitions in this hobby?

Jim