DCC Auto Reverse Loop within a dog bone layout

Keithg

Can anyone please resolve my problem with a DCC auto reverse loop function on an outside dog bone garden track layout using PECO points & track?

I have an 0 guage layout in the form of a dog bone. There are two separate point (switch) crossovers which allow a train to pass another train and either way round to curve loops at ends of layout. One line being the MAIN track, the other being a DCC Reverse loop. Once the train crosses into the reverse loop section a short should occur whereby the DIGITRAX AR1 changes the polarity or should !!

When working correctly a click can be heard and the train enters the RL Section without any delay and leaves ok. However recently I have found that PECO points do not always allow train a smooth passage therefore I have now removed ALL Peco wiring around frog and replaced with a single direct wire from the to frog, all stock rails have been bonded to switch rail plus a bond around switch rail “joiner” built within the point by Peco.

Now for the detail. Each cross over has Insulated Rail Joiners (IRJ’s) on all rails around frog there being four on each point. The frog’s polarity is changed by a Dual Frog Juicer produced by Tam Valley Depot, with power feed to the unit from the DCC Bus installed around the layout, but insulated where appropriate. It is assume all power comes from the toe end of point. As the AR1 feeds the RL Section and applies a polarity change to the rail, I wonder if there is a conflict between Frog Jucier and the Automatic Reversing Controller, because I do not always get a smooth ride over the “linking” part of the crossover.

I am hoping that someone can resolve and direct me to a simple drawing that shows exactly how my trains can run smoothly over my garden railway which ever way they are direct.

Regards

Keith

I'm a bit confused by the description too but if you have one "reverser" unit on the frog and another "reverser" unit straight after the point, they could be arguing with each other; secondly do you have insulated fishplates in everywhere you should have them?

Hello,

Many thanks for your replies. I will try and post a picture of this part of my layout with a better description of the problem. I do agree that a conflict is going on between the two units and have " back to the drawing board" on this aspect!

Thanks for your kindness, will be back.

Regards

Keith

Archived