Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Hi Guys

I recently purchased a Hornby A3 60077 "The White Knight" from EBay.

I have removed the German style smoke deflectors and carried out a few minor alterations as I want to convert it to 60101 Cicero for this project.

The donor locomotive has the correct tender and boiler that Cicero had as she was in the 1958 period, but I have only just realised that the reverser is a North British type and I require a Doncaster reverser which was straight with no kink in it.

Would any one have a spare Doncaster type and would be willing to swap, or know where I could purchase one.

Regards

David

Brassmaster do a A!/A3 detail etch reversers thereon.

Hi All

This is the latest acquisition to Haymarket 64B.

It started out as A3 60077 The White Knight but after removing the German style smoke deflectors, fitted new brass etched works plates, shed plate and name plates plus Fox Transfers to the cab side it is now 60101 Cicero a long time Haymarket A3.

I am just waiting for some new handrail wire and hand rail knobs ordered on EBay to extend the existing handrails around to the smoke box front, also thanks to micklner I can order from Brassmaster a new replacement reverser.

The loco and tender have also had one coat of Johnson's Klear a second will be added tomorrow.

all I need to do now is complete the shed building so Cicero and her stable mates have a home.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-38323200-1366215386_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

looking great Dave, I hope you are going to weather it a little, I know Haymarket was renowned for it's cleaning crew, but I thought it was mostly the A4's and such which got the royal treatment  Haven't seen many pics of the Cicero in 58 so I'm not quite sure how well cleaned it was.

Edited by auxie22

looking great Dave, I hope you are going to weather it a little, I know Haymarket was renowned for it's cleaning crew, but I thought it was mostly the A4's and such which got the royal treatment Haven't seen many pics of the Cicero in 58 so I'm not quite sure how well cleaned it was.

Hi Thank you, yes I do intend to weather all my Haymarket pacific locomotives but most of them will only have a dusting across the top of the boiler plus the usual weathering to the wheels, motion and tender under frames.

I start by giving all the Pacific's two coats of Johnsons Klear to give them the type of finish that Haymarket was known for in the mid to late fifties.

Although I have an Air Brush and compressor I do not have anywhere to spray at the present time so the various stages of weathering will be done at a later date but I do want to give the impression of well kept top link pacific locomotives heading the well known named expresses.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1

. . . . . I do intend to weather all my Haymarket pacific locomotives  . . . . .  I  want to give the impression of well kept top link pacific locomotives heading the well known named expresses.

Regards

David

OOOoohh! David !!! ~ I do hope we're going to see plenty pics of all your 64B locos in and around the shed :yes:

. . . and I now have to become Mr Nosey and ask you which Haymarket Pacifics (and other locos) you intend to have ???

Your shed is looking great!

I wish I could go back to my Haymarket days of 1958 with my 2013 camera :sungum:

"Cicero" looks great --- and brings back many memories to me.  I recently got 60048 'Doncaster' off ebay and had it re-done as 60089 'Felstead' as it had a GNR tender and there was only a handful of Haymarket A3s with that tender. I've had several of my locos re-done with 64B identites, but I didn't do the work myself  . . . there's no way I could carry out such delicate work.  I'm hugely impressed by your craftsmanship!

Edited by Holyrood 60152

OOOoohh! David !!! ~ I do hope we're going to see plenty pics of all your 64B locos in and around the shed :yes:

. . . and I now have to become Mr Nosey and ask you which Haymarket Pacifics (and other locos) you intend to have ???

Your shed is looking great!

I wish I could go back to my Haymarket days of 1958 with my 2013 camera :sungum:

"Cicero" looks great --- and brings back many memories to me. I recently got 60048 'Doncaster' off ebay and had it re-done as 60089 'Felstead' as it had a GNR tender and there was only a handful of Haymarket A3s with that tender. I've had several of my locos re-done with 64B identites, but I didn't do the work myself . . . there's no way I could carry out such delicate work. I'm hugely impressed by your craftsmanship!

Hi Jim

Good to hear from you again.

Locos I have so far for Haymarket are as follows.

A1

60161 North British

A2

60533 Happy Knight (Visiting Loco)

60537 Bachelors Button

A3

60035 Windsor Lad

60043 Brown Jack

60093 Coranach (Visiting Loco)

60097 Humorist

60098 Spoin Kop

60101 Cicero

A4

60004 William Whitelaw

60011 Empire of India

60012 Commonwealth of Australia

60023 Golden Eagle ( Visiting Loco)

60027 Merlin

D11

62690 The Lady of the Lake

Clan Class

72005 Clan Macgregor

J83

Caley Pug

Plus the Blue Prototype Deltic, just love the model and it did go to Edinburgh on a trial.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 3

Hi Jim

Yes I have an A2/2 60506 Wolf of Badenoch being made by PDK Models not sure when it will arrive though, the loco was based at Haymarket but not in the time I am modelling but the class did visit the depot during the late fifties and very early sixties

I also intend some time in the future to obtain some of the smaller locomotives based at 64B as I have enough Pacific Locomotives for the present time.

I also forgot that I have an old Replica Railways B1 which I have converted to No 61244 Strang Steel, plus a Pug No 51232 not a Haymarket loco but just had to buy one after seeing the Pug on Chris Nevard's brilliant Brewhouse Quay layout.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Good morning All

One problem I have had with Haymarket is the Coping Stones that will sit on-top of the gable walls to each of the transverse roof sections, my dilemma was how to make these and what material to use, I tried 1.5 mm thick white card and it just did not look right.

Than last week end I went to the Trainswest Model Railway Exhibition at Melksham, there I met a gentleman Dave Hewitt who owns Unit Models based in Keighley West York's.

Talking to Dave on his stand about my Coping Stone problem and looking at some of his special made resin products he kindly offered to make me a resin coping stone strip to see if it meets my requirements.

This arrived in yesterday's post, I enclose a photo showing the South West corner of the shed building with the new stone coping temporarily fixed into position with a quick coat of grey paint.

I think it looks very good, and I am especially please with the scribed lines he has included signifying the joints between each stone.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-88250000-1366532111_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread and all I can say is WOW!

I started a freelance shed a while ago which has relocated as we moved house, but seeing the quality of your work makes me ashamed!

One thing I am pleased with is the Heljan turntable I bought -I've not tried to anglicise it (yet!) but it is very accurate

I'm trying to capture the spirit of an LNER Scottish Top Shed, so am thinking of calling it 'Waverley Shed'

Please keep the pics rolling they are seriously inspirational. Silver links video has got me thinking seriously about DCC & sound

Who said this is a cheap hobby!

I started a freelance shed a while ago which has relocated as we moved house, but seeing the quality of your work makes me ashamed!

One thing I am pleased with is the Heljan turntable I bought -I've not tried to anglicise it (yet!) but it is very accurate

I'm trying to capture the spirit of an LNER Scottish Top Shed, so am thinking of calling it 'Waverley Shed'

Please keep the pics rolling they are seriously inspirational. Silver links video has got me thinking seriously about DCC & sound

Hi

Many thanks for your kind words of encouragement, it has been quite a while since my last update. And I don't want to bore fellow members with the same photos over again so I am waiting until I can show some good progress on the shed building.

That's does not say I have not been making progress, I have been working on the 12 roof sections and they are all now painted and completed, just have to construct the roof light windows now all 60 of them.

Replica Railways are looking at the internal lighting for me and these have to be installed before the roof sections can be fixed onto the main building structure.

I hope to post some step by step photos on how the roof sections were constructed which may help others who wish to make up their own roof finishes which Inmay say are a lot cheaper than buying ready made products and look very good as well, an idea I got from fellow member Sandsides on his Bacup layout.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Hi

Sorry forgot to ask you in my reply do you have any photos of your layout, would be nice to see them if you have.

Also I fully agree with you re Ian's Haymarket Cross turntable, his layout is truly inspirational as is Eric's Longdrem and Pinkhill layout which is well worth looking at if you have not seen it yet, the photos published of both layouts are just stunning.

Regards

David

Hi David - still at just off baseboard stage I'm afraid!

I started the layout at our last house where I had to fit it in beside my desk in a 10' x 20" space, tapering down to 12" so I could get alongside my desk.

We moved last August and I've now got one wall of the spare room so have just got a project off the ground to widen the baseboards  by adding scenery  at both back and front and making it a straight line, as well as widening out to 11'6"

Ive shortened it by 1' at the West end f the board and am trying to build a traverser using some form ( TBC) of boxes for the locos to be able to run into when apparently moving off the yard to station duties.

The idea then is that I can open the traverser drawer, lift out the box and swap it for another thereby sending a fresh loco back into the depot to be fed watered  and turned.

The layout is not  very prototypical, so I'm giving some thought to a bit of redesign to make it more realistic - as with all Model projects it's about 10% doing, 90% thinking!

I've only got one pic of the layout in its original condition - I can't see an 'upload' button here so I've popped it onto my website  at http://www.marketingdoctors.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Loco-shed.jpg

ATB

Peter

Hi David - still at just off baseboard stage I'm afraid!

I started the layout at our last house where I had to fit it in beside my desk in a 10' x 20" space, tapering down to 12" so I could get alongside my desk.

We moved last August and I've now got one wall of the spare room so have just got a project off the ground to widen the baseboards  by adding scenery  at both back and front and making it a straight line, as well as widening out to 11'6"

Ive shortened it by 1' at the West end f the board and am trying to build a traverser using some form ( TBC) of boxes for the locos to be able to run into when apparently moving off the yard to station duties.

The idea then is that I can open the traverser drawer, lift out the box and swap it for another thereby sending a fresh loco back into the depot to be fed watered  and turned.

The layout is not  very prototypical, so I'm giving some thought to a bit of redesign to make it more realistic - as with all Model projects it's about 10% doing, 90% thinking!

I've only got one pic of the layout in its original condition - I can't see an 'upload' button here so I've popped it onto my website  at http://www.marketingdoctors.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Loco-shed.jpg

ATB

Peter

Hi Peter

Nothing wrong with taking your time to think through the layout instead of just charging ahead, that way you avoid costly mistakes.

I have been working on my Haymarket shed building for over a year now, but I enjoy working that way as the project does not take over.

Main reason also is I am in a similar position to you, we are thinking a out moving house so I don't want to go to far with the layout just in case we do move, also I currently have my Son and Daughter-in-Law living with us until September when their new house will be ready so most of my modelling areas are taken over with their household goods and furniture.

Very nice photo you sent through of your previous layout.

I hope you will consider starting a thread on RM Web progressing your layout when you get underway with it.

Regards

David

Excellent A4 line up David - well impressed and coming on good - shed  copings look the business - good on Unit to do them for you  - always find them helpful and they have some good diverse bits.

From Preston a few weeks back - poor quality blackberry images.

post-7252-0-17470500-1370973729_thumb.jpg

post-7252-0-76440500-1370973741.jpg

post-7252-0-46704900-1370973752.jpg

Last saw her in bits at HA in 1978? on a school trip!

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1

Excellent A4 line up David - well impressed and coming on good - shed copings look the business - good on Unit to do them for you - always find them helpful and they have some good diverse bits.

From Preston a few weeks back - poor quality blackberry images.

attachicon.gifIMG-20130513-00825.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20130513-00824.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20130513-00826.jpg

Last saw her in bits at HA in 1978? on a school trip!

Ian

Hi Ian

Unit were very helpful indeed.

Thanks for the photos of number 9, she is on my list of A4's still to get for Haymarket 64B, you just cannot beat the front of a Gresley A4.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Hi Jim

Good to hear from you again.

Locos I have so far for Haymarket are as follows.

A1

60161 North British

A2

60533 Happy Knight (Visiting Loco)

60537 Bachelors Button

A3

60035 Windsor Lad

60043 Brown Jack

60093 Coranach (Visiting Loco)

60097 Humorist

60098 Spoin Kop

60101 Cicero

A4

60004 William Whitelaw

60011 Empire of India

60012 Commonwealth of Australia

60023 Golden Eagle ( Visiting Loco)

60027 Merlin

D11

62690 The Lady of the Lake

Clan Class

72005 Clan Macgregor

J83

Caley Pug

Plus the Blue Prototype Deltic, just love the model and it did go to Edinburgh on a trial.

Regards

David

Your A2 could be come any number of scotish A2's David

Your A2 could be come any number of scotish A2's David

Hi David

To be honest I have already put etched brass nameplates for Happy Knight on it so it will have to stay as a visiting locomotive as I do not want to try to remove them, but I doubt if 60533 ever got to Edinburgh?

I will in due course buy other Bachmann A2,s which will become a Haymarket locos.

Just had an email from PDK Models to inform me my A2/1 60509 Waverley is almost ready and should arrive sometime next week, can't wait, it started out as A2/2 60506 Wolf of Badenoch then I found out that it was not a Haymarket loco around the 1958 period which I am modelling.

PDK were very good about changing the model.

Still many many items to make and buy and that's even before I start on baseboards, this hobby does not come cheap, but well worth it.

Regards

David

What about a few J36's? Wasn't 65243 "Maude" one of theirs at some time?

Spot on JeffP, they had two J36 class locos allocated to 64B over the 1957/1959 period.

65235 Gough and 65243 Maude, like many locomotives they are on my wish list, I believe Eric has them on his Longdrem layout.

Regards

David

Good Morning all As I have now new photos to publish yet I thought it might be a good idea for anyone who is interested in making their own buildings with slate tiles on their roof a step by step guide to how I made up the roof sections for my Haymarket main shed building. First thing I must say is I got this idea from fellow RMWeb member Sandside on his Bacup layout and thought how good his work looked when I first saw it. Making up roof sections this way is very cheap and looks great in my opinion, but is very very time consuming and tedious but well worth it in the end. one problem I did find is the smaller the roof tile size and the longer you make the strip the harder it is to get them dead straight, but that might just be might be a lack of modelling skills by me. The only change I made to the work produce by Sandside was I purchased slightly thicker paper and made the tile size different to suit my requirements. I first purchased some 260 grams thick paper, 10 sheets from Wilkingson's stores for £1.00, I then produced a a grid on an XL spreadsheet on my laptop as follows, Height 9.00 (12 Pixels) x Width 2.00 (19 Pixels) as photo 01.

I then made a vertical cut dividing each tile along the strip as shown in photo 02

I then cut along the spread sheet into strips of tiles horizontally just over two tiles deep this allows you to stagger each of the strips when glued to card,

photo 03.

Each strip was then glued to the roof sections using 2.0mm thick good quality White card starting from the bottom and working up to the ridge tile, staggering each strip in turn, photo 04.

I found that working on three roof sections at one time then taking a break to come back and check that the tile strips are in a straight line was a great help, as in the early stages I just crashed on to complete one whole roof section only to find in my enthusiasm to get it finished the tile strips were way out of line by the time I got to the top of the roof section, no option then but to discard it and start again, photo 05.

The completed roof sections were then painted using Tamiya Dark Grey No XF-24 Acrylic paint, photo 06.

The last photos shows a close up of the final finish and gaps between the slates, photo 07.

I hope find this is of interest and that it helps anyone thinking of making up their own building, if you find it boring then you will just have to forgive me. One last thing after completing 12 roof sections plus at least 5 discarded sections during the process, plus cutting out over 500 individual strips of roof tiles there were times when the whole project nearly went out of the window.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-75335300-1371122384_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-62338900-1371122402_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-59087200-1371122419_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-47060900-1371122436_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-27300500-1371122453_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-25987600-1371122484_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-83112700-1371122499_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1

Looking forward to seeing your A2/1 - let me know how you get on

Hi David

Will post some photos once it arrives.

To anyone reading my roofing details post 122, sorry the photos are not in the correct order I spent about an hour trying to rearrange them without any luck.

Regards

David

Hi all

Next stage is to build 60 roof lights, 6 to go into each of the ten transverse roof sections, I decided the easiest way was to cut out a template using 2mm thick white card, this ensures that the window will be square and at the same time I can mark out the positions for the mullions.

The windows are made up from 2mm x 1mm plastic glazed using the clear plastic dividers you get in packets of Tesco's Smoked Salmon or Cheese slices which I find easier to work with than clear acetate sheets, these are glued to the window forms using Johnsons Klear applied to the back of the window frame then just put the frame onto the clear plastic sheet then cut out around the plastic frame when dry.

Only problem I have is as I cut out each window opening separately there are slight variations in size, only 0.5mm in most cases so I may have to make a few templates to cover all size variations.

Photo enclosed.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-12681100-1371225387_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1