Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Good Evening All

It has been some time since my last update on my Haymarket shed building, and to tell the truth not a lot has happened since.

I am now waiting for the internal and external lights to be fitted and wired up and until this work has been completed I cannot go any further.

All roof panels are painted and completed including glazed roof lights, I also have all the resin coping stones which were made by Dave Hewitt of Unit Models who is also producing the 50 roof smoke vents required when the roof in fitted.

I have therefore decided to start planning the next building, this will be the general offices which housed the shed master and his clerical staff, I am also including the kit store which was next to the general offices and this housed the locomotive headboards and lamps.

These buildings were located adjacent to the turntable and next to the signal and points that gave locomotives leaving the MPD access to the Up North Main Line and passage to Waverley Station.

I enclose a photo indicating the building and it's position within the East shed yard, it's the red brick building that Peppercorn A2 60537 Bachelors Button is just about to back past as it leaves the MPD.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-79116000-1384887097_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning all

I am working on a project in conjunction with Haymarket and need some information regarding the Thompson class A2/3 Pacific locomotives.

I know at some time in the 1950's they lowered the smoke box number plate from above the smoke box handrail down to below the handrail located on the top smoke box top hinge strap.

My question is does anyone know if they applied the late totem to the tender before the number plate alterations took place, IE locos running with late tender crest but with smoke box number plate above the smoke box handrail.

Also has anyone any evidence of this by way of photographs for the following locomotives.

60511 Airborne,

60512 Steady Aim,

60515 Sun Stream,

60518 Tehran,

60519 Honeyway,

60521 Watling Street

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

The quick answer is no. More likely that the the number plate was lowered before altering the crest. Only exception were some A2/2's, but then the handrail was placed higher-it a minefield. If your considering an a2 - a2/3 conversion it is possible to remove the smoke box number plate

Hi David

The problem is the smoke box number plate transfer on the Bachmann A2 is applied to a raised rectangular section, and when a 247 Developements smoke box number etch is applied to the hinge strap it means trying to remove the plastic section and I am trying to avoid this if possible.

Also the front handrail and knobs would also have to be removed as well to save any possible damage.

Regards

David

Hi David

The problem is the smoke box number plate transfer on the Bachmann A2 is applied to a raised rectangular section, and when a 247 Developements smoke box number etch is applied to the hinge strap it means trying to remove the plastic section and I am trying to avoid this if possible.

Also the front handrail and knobs would also have to be removed as well to save any possible damage.

Regards

David

Thats correct and that's what I did

Hi David

Very much the same to you. Glad to see you're back 'on the tools. 

If anyone's interested, I've just posted a discussion around Hacking The Hornby P2 into a 'what might have been' http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79857-its-not-even-out-yet-but-what-else-could-we-do-with-hornbys-p2/

Hope you all have great Christmas - Maybe we'll all get the odd day to 'play trains!'

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon all

Quite a bit going on in the background but nothing to really show at the moment, but Haymarket 64B is progressing all be it slowly just now.

So I thought I would post a photo of my Thompson A2/1 60509 Waverley which was made up for me last July by PDK.

I have no complaints about the quality of the model and it runs very well but there were a few issues that I was not happy with so I have carried out a few minor alterations to bring the model up to what I wanted.

Alterations aged as follows,

Motion and rods painted.

The slashers over the pair of front bogie wheels were not deep enought, this seems to be the same with both PDK and DJH models of Thompson Pacific's so these were replaced with deeper ones that actually cover the wheel depth.

When the model arrived both pair of cab windows were glazed and with the window surround frames painted out to look like a wood frame, this is not how I see then on photos so I removed the glazing, painted the surrounds in Railmatch green to blend in with the green cab paintwork and glazed only the front windows.

There was also a 2mm gap between the running plate and underside of the boiler, this was to allow the motor to be fitted but it did not look good, the only way to fill this was to insert a small piece of this plastic on either side painted again in Railmatch green, it's not ideal but with some weathering it will not notice and certainly looks better than a gaping gap.

New 3 Link screw couplings and real coal, set of long coal irons to the tender, drilled lamps and a 247 Developments Night Scotsman Headboard,

All that is required now is a crew.

Hope you like the photo.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-37131300-1390408139_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 9

Boiler gap would look better Black as the lining doesnt follow down to the footplate. IMHO

Hi

I fully agree Mick, I was originally going to paint it black but I thought it may look a bit too obvious so I decided to paint it green to match the boiler then weather the whole area to blend it in

But thanks for the positive input.

Regards

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all

I been thinking hard and long about purchasing a MetalSmiths 70 foot 4mm scale turntable for Haymarket, but not getting much change from £400.00 for the finished article and with so many other items either in the go or still to purchase including two A2/3 Bachmann conversions using Graeme Kings resin parts.

So I have decided to adapt my old Peco turntable that I purchased and built about three years ago, I know it's not the same make or design as the 70 foot turntable which was installed in Haymarket in the 1930's but it will be a lot cheaper and allow more progress on the layout.

So far I have removed the over scale plastic handrails and these will be rebuilt using 0.7mm brass stanchions with a 1.5mm single top ball and 0.6mm brass wire for the handrails themselves.

These will be fitted to the turntable by drilling 0.8 mm holes at appropriate centres either side of the turntable platform.

I have also made up a small platform to house the Vacuum operated tractor which will be constructed out of Plasticard.

You can see this apparatus butter in the previous posted photo of A2 60537 Bachelors Button

I enclose a photo showing progress to date.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-43120600-1391942368_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 3

Hi David

For some reason I've not had updates posted to me, so been off your forum for a while, but interesting to see the turntable.

I've got a Heljan one which is extremely accurate and flexible one, but probably needs way too much re-engineering to look right.

'Waverley' looks smart - I probably ought to have one of the same name for the new layout when it gets going!

Earlier in the topic you showed turning a Hornby A3 into Cicero - what paint are you using to paint over the existing umbers? I've got Railmatch and an old pot of Precision which is probably all but solid, and wondered what your experience is on best colour matches for Hornby's 'almost' Brunswick!

Peter

Hi Peter

I don't use any paints when re numbering any Hornby or Bachmann Pacific locomotives.

I only use a good old cocktail stick, sometimes it's better to slightly blunt the point and use it like a chisel.

I know quite a few people use a cocktail stick dipped into T-Cut and gently rub the existing cab side numbers it takes patience but they will come off but be carefull not to disturb the orange send black lining around the cab side numbers.

I now use only a cocktail stick without any T-Cut it does the same job but does not leave a haze where the numbers have been removed.

I then apply a coat of Johnsons Klear to the area before you apply the new cab-side numbers and then apply a second sealing coat of Klear to seal the numbers but leave them for at least 24 hours to dry thoroughly before adding the second coat.

I always use Fox Decals, I believe they are the equivalent of 10 inch high numbers at 4mm scale.

I hope that helps you.

I do use Railmatch Ref 300 BR Loco Green. But for small areas only to be re painted.

Regards

David

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning All

More progress on the Haymarket turntable, the brass stanchions and handrails arrived form Markits after the first order went missing in the postal service.

I must compliment Mark at Markits for a fantastic service in getting replacement parts to me the next day.

I have fitted the new replacement brass handrails which look more to scale than the original Peco plastics ones.

Just need to paint them in a coat of Humbrol gunmetal No 27004 and make up the vacuum housing.

Photo enclosed

Regards

Davidpost-6557-0-61940100-1394189190_thumb.jpgpost-6557-0-61940100-1394189190_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

Hi David,

Nice looking turntable, I was planning to use a Peco turntable for my layout also, Are you going to make a start on the fitting shop off the shed and the offices next to the turntable? I have seen a few pics and they don't look too difficult to scratch build also what will you do with the water tower and coal tower? I'm planning on using the Bachmann Water Tower with a few mods as it looks pretty similar. Not sure if i'll attempt a scratchbuild of the coal tower but there aren't any kits that look much like it. I'm sure if you scratchbuilt the tower it would look amazing. Not sure how far off you are with it all but I hope to see some more updates, your work is excellent.

regards

Jules

Hi Jules

Yes I will be starting the offices very soon, I need to order the windows and doors from York ModelMaking first, there has been very little progress on Haymarket over the past few months for two reasons.

1/. I am still waiting for the shed interior lights to be fitted as Gareth is extremely busy at the moment but we spoke this morning and he is hoping to carry out the work within the next two weeks.

2/ my dear wife has a list of decorating for me that's as long as the ECML it's self.

Once I have finished my latest decorating project I will then have room to start the first four baseboards.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the turntable.

I will scratch build the water tower once the offices are completed but the coaling tower is possibly two difficult to scratch build and Bachmann do a nice coaling tower that I will proberly use that.

I have found it very frustrating at the lack of progress especially after such a good start on the main shed building.

I do have all the remaining shed components to finish the building once the lights are fitted.

One last thing I have just acquired an additional Hornby A4 to join the other locomotive, It will be 60017 Silver Fox a 34A Top Shed A4 but a regular visitor to Haymarket on the Elizabethen.

Hope to have some progress soon.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Evening all

As I finished my decorating early and the sun was out I thought I would take the opportunity to take and post a few photos of locomotives that will be seen at Haymarket once completed.

These also include a newly acquired Hornby A4 which is now 60017 Silver Fox.

Regards

David 

post-6557-0-04026600-1404241176_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-26216500-1404241210_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-24592400-1404241236_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-76426700-1404241254_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Good Evening All

Another new locomotive to join the Haymarket 64B line up.

This was until yesterday Bachmann A2 60533 Happy Knight but I thought I have never seen a photo of Happy Knight at Haymarket MPD and as far as I know it probably never got up to Edinburgh in the late fifties all though I could be wrong.

So I decided to change it's identity and as it was fitted with a double chimney and a multiple valve regulator that left me with five locomotive options but only one of those was allocated to 64B in the late fifties so here we are A2 Class No 60529 Pearl Diver.

I always use Fox transfers for the cab side numbers when changing a loco identity but this time and for the first time I also fitted Fox etched nameplates and I must say although nearly double the cost of 247 Developments nameplates but the quality is exceptional.

All the alteration work was completed and all I had to do was fit the new nameplates to the smoke deflectors so I googled photos of 60529 Pearl Diver just to check that I get the nameplates in the correct position and guess what was the first photo to come up yep Bachmann's new A2 addition No 60529 Pearl Diver available probably around early 2015.

Anyway I enclose a few photos of her completed standing on what will become Haymarkets Turntable.

Regards

David 

post-6557-0-67239800-1406836100_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-32769700-1406836118_thumb.jpg

• Like 5