Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Hi manna

thank you I have actually weathered the car slightly but not enough.

many of the photos I have seen of Haymarket MPD do have vehicles in the background especially excuse the pun in front of the bike shed area.

still leave it were it is all day with locomotive movements and it will soon get a layer of soot over it.

David

G'Day Folks

I used to park my car at Rochford station, after a couple of months, it was covered on Copper dust, from the overhead lines, I used to scrub the car with 'Ajax' to get it off ???

manna

• Like 1

Hi

I am looking for help can anyone please advise me.

I have recently removed the German style smoke deflectors from my Hornby A3 60043 Brown Jack, so I need to add additional handrail knobs to the smoke box sides and around onto the area around the smoke box door and extend or replace both handrails as well.

I know Markits supply a good selection of handrail wires and knobs, has anyone ever done this before and do you know what the appropriate handrail wire thickness and handrail knob sizes would be to match the existing Hornby ones on the locomotive

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

7 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

I am looking for help can anyone please advise me.

I have recently removed the German style smoke deflectors from my Hornby A3 60043 Brown Jack, so I need to add additional handrail knobs to the smoke box sides and around onto the area around the smoke box door and extend or replace both handrails as well.

I know Markits supply a good selection of handrail wires and knobs, has anyone ever done this before and do you know what the appropriate handrail wire thickness and handrail knob sizes would be to match the existing Hornby ones on the locomotive

Regards

David

Yes Ive done it. If memory serves, short markits will match.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

A bit more progress, laying the granite setts to the main running shed floor externally, these according to reference photos come up level with the rail tops.

I have also been weathering the four large water cranes to the East shed yard.

Photo enclosed, close up photos can be so cruel they show every little defect in the buildings construction which you do not see when actually looking at the layout under normal conditions.

Regards

David

60511_IMG_0222B.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 06/05/2019 at 22:57, steve fay said:

Looks great to me 

Thank you

There is still lots of work still to do, the granite setts will look a lot better after the track work is properly laid over the inspection pits with the sleepers removed and a good layer of ash and cinders to be laid over the whole area.

As most of the floor level in both yards was level with the sleeper tops.

Regards

David

• Like 2

Hi

i now have a six week break away from model railways, missing it already.

i enclose a few new photos of the main shed entrance and some locomotives lined up outside the main shed building in traditional Haymarket style.

Big powerful Pacific locomotives.

please excuse quality as they were taken with an IPhone 

A7164A2F-C2AC-4397-9D96-515AB0F5582F.jpeg

52099CB7-A564-477F-B7BB-E15FA481F21E.jpeg

95422A02-2375-4D62-8B9D-E70FD685ACAF.jpeg

130E8E08-3613-47D5-8CBF-C528764F467D.jpeg

104D728A-0B31-4683-90C3-8E89EB92B021.jpeg

• Like 17

• 1 month later...

Hi

All the track-work is now in place, and ready to be glued down, weathered and landscaped.

To complete the track-work I have had to changed from C&L Finescale to the new Peco Finescale code75 BH track-work.

The main reason for this is change of ownership with C&L making it difficult to order materials to match those I had purchased about four years ago.

Also there is very little difference in the two types of track, it's about one sleeper less over a standard 60 foot track panel which measures 240mm at 4mm scale.

Still lots of work to be completed but I feel the layout is now taking shape, I enclose an updated panoramic photo indicating the east facing elevation of the main shed and yard area with a variety of Haymarket locomotives plus a Top Shed visitor.

Regards

David

60521_IMG_0014B_copy_2.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi

This started out as Bachmann A2 60533 Happy Knight, which I changed the identity to 60529 Pear Diver a Haymarket based A2 only to find out two months later Bachmann actually produced A2 60529 as a  RTR locomotive.

Regards

David

60529_IMG_0077B.jpg

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, landscapes said:

I changed the identity to 60529 Pear Diver a Haymarket based A2.

60529 was the first A2 I ever saw - at Glasgow Buchanan Street in the summer of 1962. I also saw 60096 there that afternoon. By then, they were both St. Margaret's engines, but still a big surprise to see them there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pH said:

60529 was the first A2 I ever saw - at Glasgow Buchanan Street in the summer of 1962. I also saw 60096 there that afternoon. By then, they were both St. Margaret's engines, but still a big surprise to see them there.

Hi

I only ever saw a total six A2's and A2/3's, the only reason I saw 60532 Blue Peter because it came south to head a special from Waterloo Station to Weymouth.

I would have loved to visit Haymarket in steam days.

Regards

David

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2019 at 12:41, landscapes said:

Hi

I only ever saw a total six A2's and A2/3's, the only reason I saw 60532 Blue Peter because it came south to head a special from Waterloo Station to Weymouth.

I would have loved to visit Haymarket in steam days.

Regards

David

I was a bit luckier than you. I visited Haymarket once while it still had steam locos on its allocation. But it was in the summer of 1963, and it only had 12 steam locos left, though it was still servicing incoming engines from other sheds. I did visit the shed several times after that - well, I did like Deltics!

And I managed to see 12 A2s and A2/3s. Some of them had been Haymarket engines, but by the time I saw those ones they had either been transferred to other sheds or withdrawn. I much preferred the looks of the A2s, compared to the A2/3s.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Toftwood said:

Can I ask where you got the water cranes from? and do they do platform mounted ones as well??

Pete

Hi Pete

i will get back to you regarding the water cranes as soon as I can.

they were purchased some time ago and for the life of me I cannot remember who the supplier was.

Some investigation work is required 

Regards

David

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Pete

i will get back to you regarding the water cranes as soon as I can.

they were purchased some time ago and for the life of me I cannot remember who the supplier was.

Some investigation work is required 

Regards

David

Hi Pete

I have looked back to when I purchased the water columns which was back in June 2017.

I purchased two different types of water column both were made from white metal, they came in a kit form of a few parts which need to be glued together.

They came from Holt Model Railways now I believe known as Mikes Models based in Birmingham.

I have looked on their website and but I can no longer find them, I would suggest giving them a call if you are interested in purchasing any as they may still have some left but do not advertise them.

When made up, painted and weathered they do look superb.

Good luck.

David

On 7 July 2019 at 10:07, landscapes said:

Hi Pete

I have looked back to when I purchased the water columns which was back in June 2017.

I purchased two different types of water column both were made from white metal, they came in a kit form of a few parts which need to be glued together.

They came from Holt Model Railways now I believe known as Mikes Models based in Birmingham.

I have looked on their website and but I can no longer find them, I would suggest giving them a call if you are interested in purchasing any as they may still have some left but do not advertise them.

When made up, painted and weathered they do look superb.

Good luck.

David

Hi David,

Thanks, I did wonder if they were Mikes Models. I will have a look. 

Great layout by the way!

Pete

29 minutes ago, Toftwood said:

Hi David,

Thanks, I did wonder if they were Mikes Models. I will have a look. 

Great layout by the way!

Pete

Hi Pete

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the layout.

it might be a good idea to give them a call as it looks as though they are not showing on their website, but may still have some in stock.

good luck.

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1

Good Evening

I have just completed a bit of a soul destroying task, which has  taken me some time, that is to separate the first four baseboards so I can clearly identify the joint between each board and at the same time cut through the cork underlay as well.

This was completed by dismantling part of the structure timber framework and fixing brackets, but very please that it all went back together perfectly.

I can now see exactly where to cut the trackwork so I do not have any track overlapping another baseboard as the layout will have to be dismantled at some time in the future as a house move is very much on the cards.

These board joints will be less conspicuous once the landscaping works takes place as they will be hidden under a mass of ash and clinker covering the shed yard.

I enclose a couple of photos which in the first photo you can now clearly see the baseboard joint running across in front of the temporary coal buffer stop, an new white metal buffer stop has been ordered from Lanarkshire model supplies which is identical the the originals that were found at Haymarket MPD.

I have also been playing around with photoshop to try to get some ideas for the scenic backboard that will eventually run the whole length of the layout, trying to do this is turning into a bit of a nightmare as I have very little clear photos to show the Murryfield/Edinburgh back drop of the 1950's to Haymasrket MPD so one again artistic licence may be required.

Two photos enclosed taken from different angles using my own version of a photo stacking system to try to get the photos in full sharp focus from front to back, any comments are welcome.

Regards 

David

60511_IMG_0181B.jpg

60012_IMG_0190B.jpg

• Like 10

On 8 July 2019 at 17:40, landscapes said:

Hi Pete

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the layout.

it might be a good idea to give them a call as it looks as though they are not showing on their website, but may still have some in stock.

good luck.

Hi, after a mis-direction (internet search!) phone call to Mikes Models, Birmingham; I was redirected to as you rightly said Holt Model railways who are in Wales. I gave them a call and yes they still do the   'Mikes Models' range of whitemetal kits so I have placed an order for several NER ground mounted and platform mounted water cranes.  So thank you for you're info and help.

Edited by Toftwood
spelling

8 hours ago, Toftwood said:

Hi, after a mis-direction (internet search!) phone call to Mikes Models, Birmingham; I was redirected to as you rightly said Holt Model railways who are in Wales. I gave them a call and yes they still do the   'Mikes Models' range of whitemetal kits so I have placed an order for several NER ground mounted and platform mounted water cranes.  So thank you for you're info and help.

Hi Pete

My pleasure glad you was able to still get them, you will not be disappointed they really are lovely water columns once made up and painted.

I ordered two different types of water columns, the large ones outside the main shed building were as close as I could get but the smaller type were almost identical to the alternative columns that were at at Haymarket MPD.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Additional information

Hi

The enclosed photo shows the second type of water column I have used on my Haymarket layout, again ordered from Holt Model Railways about two years ago.

I have had to slightly alter them to make them look more like the prototype use at the MPD in steam days.

Sorry about the quality it was taken on a iPhone.

Regards

David

IMG_3155.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Information
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi

Good afternoon

Latest photo enclosed of Hornby B1 61025 Pallah which I have renamed passing the main shed, I feel now that the layout is slowly starting to take shape.

Next little job is to apply first layer of scattering material to the embankments in the foreground and the embankments to the shed access road and areas to the back of the layout most of which are hidden in this photo.

After that iI will apply static grass using WWS static grasses of various colours and shades applied  using their own static grass applicator which still has to be purchased, there are some really useful demo videos on their website if anyone is thinking of using static grass on their layout.

Regards

David

61025_IMG_0204B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 12