Haymarket 64B

landscapes

2 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

Looking really good David!

Hi Peter

Thank you for your kind comment, very nice to hear from you it’s had been sometime since we last spoke on RMWeb.

I hope all is well with you and how is your new model railway Layout progressing?

Regards

David

Hi David

all still in boxes I’m afraid! Focus has been on the new house and garden!

I am going to have to slim it down hugely, so I’ll be selling a load of coaches, trucks, track and other un-needed stock. Probably not going to

get much progress this side of Christmas!

Hi Peter

Sorry to hear that you have had to put your project on hold and to scale it down.

I will be in Exactly the same position in about four years time.

With Haymarket The Layout is built on Nine 600mm my wide boards and what is shown on my blog is the middle four boards.

Thats all I have room for at the moment, but they do include all the main buildings and structures required with the exception of about Five Small outbuildings.

The remaining boards are mainly sidings to the West and East of the shed.

thats why I have made sure the boards can all be dismantled for removal at some time in the future.

When we move I am hoping to have the space in a garden for a purpose built outbuilding similar to what Tony Wright has done with Little Bytham, then hopefully I can complete the remainder of the layout.

It’s very nice to hear from you once again.

Regards

David 

• Like 1

I've just moved in the last six months - it's very disruptive. Lost my previous space for a railway. I do now have a space for a railway in the attic. A very large space- finding time to do it is hard as the proverbial "dust settles".

Edited by davidw
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, davidw said:

I've just moved in the last six months - it's very disruptive. Lost my previous space for a railway. I do now have a space for a railway in the attic. A very large space- finding time to do it is hard as the proverbial "dust settles".

Hi David 

I am doing all I can in advance of any future move.

all the baseboards and support framework are individual linked together with metal straps and 8mm thick plywood strips running along the baseboard edges holding them all in place.

With adjustable feet to each upright on the main timber framework.

each baseboard will be individually wired and all linked with a main buss bar.

The whole structure is rock solid and level.

well that’s the theory anyway but they did all come apart and go back together nicely last week, so I am hopeful.

Regards

David

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Information
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Your carpentry is much more impressive than mine David!

Hi Peter

Thank you for the complement, but in the early part of my working career I obtained my City & Guilds In carpentry, who remembers City & Guilds I don’t know if you can still obtain them any more it was nearly fifty years ago.

I should have cut out half housing joints were the cross rails meet the support legs but opted for the easy option of just screwing them together without glue for now as I said they will all have to be dismantled sometime in the future.

Regards

David

Hi

In between modelling and trying to stay cool I am looking for new photographic angles for when the layout is more advanced in the landscaping side of the layout.

I enclose a few more photos, this represents Haymarket in around early 1962 when the Deltic's arrived, not quite sure when the yellow nose panel was introduced but I am sure I have seen photos dating around 1962.

Regards

David

60097_IMG_0230B.jpg

60097_IMG_0255B.jpg

60511_IMG_0271B.jpg

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

In between modelling and trying to stay cool I am looking for new photographic angles for when the layout is more advanced in the landscaping side of the layout.

I enclose a few more photos, this represents Haymarket in around early 1962 when the Deltic's arrived, not quite sure when the yellow nose panel was introduced but I am sure I have seen photos dating around 1962.

Regards

David

60097_IMG_0230B.jpg

60097_IMG_0255B.jpg

60511_IMG_0271B.jpg

That A2/3 looks the business

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

A3 60097 Humorist takes its turn on the turntable, this was a RTR Hornby A3 it's original identity I have long forgotten.

Changed to Haymarket's Humorist using brass etched smoke deflectors made by Jackson Evans which although similar to the Peppercorn A1's were unique to 60097 as was this locomotive to the entire A3 class.

Some refer to this locomotive as a bit of an ugly Duckling but I kind of like it and certainly prefer these smoke deflectors to the German style which were fitted to many of the class in their latter years

Regards

David

60097_IMG_0293B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
additional info
  • Like 11

52 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

A3 60097 Humorist takes its turn on the turntable, this was a RTR Hornby A3 it's original identity I have long forgotten.

Changed to Haymarket's Humorist using brass etched smoke deflectors made by Jackson Evans which although similar to the Peppercorn A1's were unique to 60097 as was this locomotive to the entire A3 class.

Some refer to this locomotive as a bit of an ugly Duckling but I kind of like it and certainly prefer these smoke deflectors to the German style which were fitted to many of the class in their latter years

Regards

David

60097_IMG_0293B.jpg

60049 Galtee More?

I read somewhere the hover named 'Humorist' must have done so with an unexpected sense of irony, as it was this poor loco's fate to be the test bed of all kinds of innovations, good and bad through both HNG and Peppercorn's  lives.

That said, I quite like the Peppercorn-style deflectors.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, davidw said:

60049 Galtee More?

Hi David

Yes you a correct I now remember I bought the loco in a Talisman set, still have the coaches.

A3 60049 had the correct tender and boiler for the time I am modelling.

I believe it was fitted with a 107 boiler in the early 1960’s

David

54 minutes ago, davidw said:

Oh talisman set was Sandwich. Do you have spare tender?

Hi David

You are right again, it was 60039 Sandwich and this was the first Humorist conversion I did then realised it had the wrong boiler for the period I was modelling so I changed 60049 Galtee More instead, sorry its a memory thing as you get older.

Also I accidentally damaged the locomotive body of my original Humorist conversion another reason for changing it, also I did a tender swop with Tom Foster as well a few years ago.

As far as I know I do not have a spare tender complete but I do have two tender chassis they both look identical but one is from a Hornby A4 and the other from a Hornby A3 both loco drive models china made.

Photo enclosed.

Regards

David

IMG_3316.jpg

3 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi David

You are right again, it was 60039 Sandwich and this was the first Humorist conversion I did then realised it had the wrong boiler for the period I was modelling so I changed 60049 Galtee More instead, sorry its a memory thing as you get older.

Also I accidentally damaged the locomotive body of my original Humorist conversion another reason for changing it, also I did a tender swop with Tom Foster as well a few years ago.

As far as I know I do not have a spare tender complete but I do have two tender chassis they both look identical but one is from a Hornby A4 and the other from a Hornby A3 both loco drive models china made.

Photo enclosed.

Regards

David

IMG_3316.jpg

I've a few chassis. They do occasionally come on ebay. 

18 hours ago, 26power said:

This might be of interest, maybe something in the background?  If you don't already have a saved ebay search for Haymarket it might be worth considering - new pictures turn up fairly regularly: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362707252151?ul_noapp=true

Hi

Many thanks every photo helps build up a picture of the MPD's surroundings.

Thats a nice photo with details of the West Yard.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good Morning

I enclose a photo showing a little more progress made on Haymarket 64B.

What I am trying to achieve is the view a railway enthusiast might have witnessed walking up the main MPD access road which was off of Russell Road Haymarket.

I appreciate my view is rather cleaner than the real thing but there will be plenty of weathering to be applied later on as the project progresses.

I have no real details or photographs of what this view would have looked like in the late 1950's, I can only go by what information I have plus some OS maps and some old aerial photos I have found.

Having never visit the depot myself.

Regards

David

60009_IMG_0378B.jpg

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Its coming together really well David - keep it up!

Hi Peter

Thank you thats very kind, believe it or not I am really pleased with my attempted fence in the foreground.

Its made up from using cut down wooden coffee stirrers and normal match sticks as posts all painted and weathered with powders.

When I first fitted the fence it just didn't look right more like a garden fence so I just removed the odd plank here and there and bingo I got the look I wanted a neglected old broken fence that trainspotters could look through to get numbers of passing locomotives without trespassing onto the MPD.

Just hope I can be as successful with the rest of the layout.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
spelling mistake

Good Evening

This is a photo of the only member of the A1Class I have, it started of as Bachmann 60158 Aberdonian which I purchased many years ago and changed its identity to No 60161 North British a long time resident of Haymarket MPD.

I keep meaning to purchase some addition members of the class but just haven't got round to it as they only now seem available from Ebay.

Regards

David

60161_IMG_0400B.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, landscapes said:

I keep meaning to purchase some addition members of the class but just haven't got round to it as they only now seem available from Ebay.

Have you tried Hatton's ? https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/Preowned.aspx

Enjoying following your progress with this.  Never got to visit 64B in steam days, though - it was green diesels by the time I first got there.

Alasdair

• Thanks 1