Haymarket 64B

landscapes

4 hours ago, 30368 said:

David,

You are not too far from me then! I hope the link takes you to the thread. Not much to see as yet. I have two friends from the Bentley Model Railway Group (Calne) who have designed the track layout losely on Basingstoke and they will lay the track, wire it all up etc leaving me to build the shed etc...

I have built a J36 for the club and I am currently building a K2/2 for our club layout Kannotburn. You can see the layout at the Calne show on 18/19th January next. If you can make it, you will not be dissapointed!

Buy the way, I like your A2/1 and A2/2 I have a Thompson A2 to build at some time. Remember them at Haymarket, Peterborough and Kings Cross - big ugly brutes but I rather liked them.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

Thank you for the link to your model layout of Basingstoke MPD it works fine, I will watch with great interest to see your progress with the layout.

I live in Swindon Wiltshire and will do my best to get to the Calne show if I can.

Thank you for the kind comments regarding the Thompson Pacific's I totally agree with you I do like them as well.

The A2/1is a PDK model which they built for me some years ago and the two other Pacific's are actually A2/3's and not A2/2's, both very similar but the A2/3's had the large smoke deflectors where as the A2/2's had the small wing type either fitted side of the chimney, and both are Bachmann A2 Conversions using Graeme King's resin and etched parts, both built for me by a friend who owns and runs Replica Railways.

I would be most interested to see any photos you may have of your K2/2 model when its completed they are one of my favourite class of locomotives on the Scottish Region although I am not sure if they ever visited Haymarket MPD.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Holyrood 60152 said:

Hi David,

A very realistic and atmospheric picture that is!

From the angle of the light streaking across, it looks like 64B would have looked around mid-afternoon on a sunny mid-winter's day!

Hi Holyrood

Thank you for your comments by coincidence that was just about the time I took the photo only the sun was shining through my window in Swindon.

How I wish it had been at Haymarket MPD in the late 1950’s

Merry Christmas to you.

Regards

David

22 hours ago, landscapes said:

I would be most interested to see any photos you may have of your K2/2 model when its completed they are one of my favourite class of locomotives on the Scottish Region although I am not sure if they ever visited Haymarket MPD.

This site http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2014/03/haymarket-edinburgh-1960-1963.html shows an Eastfield one on shed at Haymarket in 1949.

Given that St. Margaret's, Eastfield, Parkhead, Dunfermline and Thornton Junction all had engines of this class, I think you can assume the odd one would turn up at Haymarket.

1 hour ago, pH said:

This site http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2014/03/haymarket-edinburgh-1960-1963.html shows an Eastfield one on shed at Haymarket in 1949.

Given that St. Margaret's, Eastfield, Parkhead, Dunfermline and Thornton Junction all had engines of this class, I think you can assume the odd one would turn up at Haymarket.

Hi 

Many thanks for the information you sent it will be very helpful for future reference regarding locomotives that visited Haymarket MPD.

Also I agree with you the K2/2’s must have visited Haymarket at one time or another, just now waiting for a RTR version to be produced hopefully one day. 

Regards

David 

Edited by landscapes
Additional correspondence
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2020 at 19:48, Toftwood said:

You will be pleased with the latest news from Hornby I should imagine??? :rolleyes:

Pete

Hi Pete

Yes very much so, but with mixed feelings as well.

I am modelling Haymarket around the 1958/1959 period which in theory removes the possibility of the A2/2, as they all were moved south in the late 1940's but I must admit I do like the class so I will get one when they become available and have to use a bit of artistic licence.

Unless I can obtain photographic proof showing a class member at Haymarket during the period I am modelling.

With regards to the new A2/3 Hornby are going to produce, I wish they had brought them out about four years earlier then it would have saved me a lot of money not having to purchase two Bachmann/Graeme King A2/3 conversions, having said that the class were regular visitors to Haymarket and 60519 Honeyway was the only A2/3 to be shedded there.

So one of those will also be on my list of locos to purchase, I starting to save for them now.

Thanks for your comments and interest.

Regards

David 

• Agree 1

On 11/01/2020 at 00:10, davidw said:

Between the V2, A2/2, A2/3 and new O2 derivatives itd going to be expensive. Loving the shed photos

Hi David

I totally agree, for Hornby to bring out three long awaited Thompson Pacific’s all around the same time is going to stretch the purse strings to say the least.

Im starting to save already, my trouble is although I would like over a period of time to purchase an example of all three only the A2/3 and possibly the A2/2 would be correct for Haymarket around the 1958/1959 period 

I have many photos of the A2/2’s at Haymarket but in the late 1940’s early 1950’s.

And probably no chance at all with the W1.

And that doesn’t even take into account the new V2 either.

It’s a very expensive hobby indeed. 

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Add information
  • Like 1

On 11/01/2020 at 07:16, bigwordsmith said:

The annoying thing is I have several MIB V2s, V3/4 Nd other newly retooled locos, which will no doubt have to be upgraded!

Hi Peter

like me get your cheque book ready for the end of this year.

Regards

David

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2020 at 08:28, landscapes said:

Hi David

I totally agree, for Hornby to bring out three long awaited Thompson Pacific’s all around the same time is going to stretch the purse strings to say the least.

Im starting to save already, my trouble is although I would like over a period of time to purchase an example of all three only the A2/3 and possibly the A2/2 would be correct for Haymarket around the 1958/1959 period 

I have many photos of the A2/2’s at Haymarket but in the late 1940’s early 1950’s.

And probably no chance at all with the W1.

And that doesn’t even take into account the new V2 either.

It’s a very expensive hobby indeed. 

Regards

David

Hi David ,

I have photos of all 3 York A.2/2 's at Haymarket in my collection , taken during the late 1950's . Indeed no.60502 , by then the last survivor , visited Edinburgh as late as June 10th 1961 , only 3 weeks before withdrawal . Looks like you might have to save a bit harder !

Regards ,

Ray .

3 hours ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Hi David ,

I have photos of all 3 York A.2/2 's at Haymarket in my collection , taken during the late 1950's . Indeed no.60502 , by then the last survivor , visited Edinburgh as late as June 10th 1961 , only 3 weeks before withdrawal . Looks like you might have to save a bit harder !

Regards ,

Ray .

Hi Ray

Thank you for the information that confirms with out doubt I can now purchase an A2/2 for the layout.

You will have to forgive my ignorance but I will have to look up which three of the six class members were shedded at York.

Thanks again for the info.

Regards

David 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Ray

Thank you for the information that confirms with out doubt I can now purchase an A2/2 for the layout.

You will have to forgive my ignorance but I will have to look up which three of the six class members were shedded at York.

Thanks again for the info.

Regards

David 

60501/2/3 David. 503 is the one that can't be done from the Hornby model, so you have a choice of two.

1 hour ago, great northern said:

60501/2/3 David. 503 is the one that can't be done from the Hornby model, so you have a choice of two.

Thank you Gilbert

I was going to order 60505 only because it had the late crest on the tender.

But I have changed tended totems before so 60501 is the one I will now order.

I was thinking of pre ordering last weekend but wanted to try to find more information about the class in in connection with Haymarket MPD

Thanks to Ray and yourself I can now order knowing it will be authentic to have 60501 running on my layout.

I have acquired many photos of locomotives at Haymarket for reference purposes but never seen a photo of an A2/2 on shed with either the early or late totem on the tender.

Regards

David

7 hours ago, landscapes said:

Thank you Gilbert

I was going to order 60505 only because it had the late crest on the tender.

But I have changed tended totems before so 60501 is the one I will now order.

I was thinking of pre ordering last weekend but wanted to try to find more information about the class in in connection with Haymarket MPD

Thanks to Ray and yourself I can now order knowing it will be authentic to have 60501 running on my layout.

I have acquired many photos of locomotives at Haymarket for reference purposes but never seen a photo of an A2/2 on shed with either the early or late totem on the tender.

Regards

David

I too was thinking of 60501, but it may also  require a chimney change and repositioning on the smoke box number plate. It's a bit of a mine field.

9 hours ago, davidw said:

I too was thinking of 60501, but it may also  require a chimney change and repositioning on the smoke box number plate. It's a bit of a mine field.

Hi David

Thanks for the warning I will have to consult Yeadon's Register or other books I have before I order, a minefield you are not joking.

I assume that both the A2/2's Hornby are producing have the flat cab's similar to the A2/3's.

Thinking about it I may hold fire ordering until either the completed models are on show or more up to date photos are issued by Hornby, I am not happy with the idea of chopping the models around to much.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
additional Text

51 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi David

Thanks for the warning I will have to consult Yeadon's Register or other books I have before I order, a minefield you are not joking.

I assume that both the A2/2's Hornby are producing have the flat cab's similar to the A2/3's.

Thinking about it I may hold fire ordering until either the completed models are on show or more up to date photos are issued by Hornby, I am not happy with the idea of chopping the models around to much.

Regards

David

The 3d print that Hornby display is clearly the A2/3. There's been much discussion on Wright writes on the Thompsons and I know TW has been consulted. I'd therefore be surprised if there was errors.

23 minutes ago, davidw said:

The 3d print that Hornby display is clearly the A2/3. There's been much discussion on Wright writes on the Thompsons and I know TW has been consulted. I'd therefore be surprised if there was errors.

Hi David

I have seen Tony’s thread and I am certain with Tony advising Hornby there should not be any mistakes what so ever.

What I meant was I would not be happy changing for instance the models dome especially if that means changing boiler band positions or having to reposition the smoke box member plate if it involves carving part of the smoke box door, say if there is a raised area on the door where the original number plate was.

I have been looking at many photos I have of the A2/2’s but as you have pointed out there are so

many variations I’m happy to wait until more details are released by Hornby.

Regards

David

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi David

I have seen Tony’s thread and I am certain with Tony advising Hornby there should not be any mistakes what so ever.

What I meant was I would not be happy changing for instance the models dome especially if that means changing boiler band positions or having to reposition the smoke box member plate if it involves carving part of the smoke box door, say if there is a raised area on the door where the original number plate was.

I have been looking at many photos I have of the A2/2’s but as you have pointed out there are so

many variations I’m happy to wait until more details are released by Hornby.

Regards

David

That is exactly the conclusion that Tim and I have come to David. We shall wait and see.

39 minutes ago, great northern said:

That is exactly the conclusion that Tim and I have come to David. We shall wait and see.

Hi Gilbert

With so many variations to the A2/2’s it would be easy to order the wrong model then find yourself trying to modify it.

hopefully Hornby will provide more details or more advanced samples later in the year which will help us decide.

I still can’t believe Hornby are finally making not one Thompson Pacific but two of the classes plus the W1 in the 60700 form.

Also I like very much the photos you have issued of Tony’s Little Bytham you show some unusual views that I haven’t seen before bringing out the best in some of the surrounding buildings.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1