Haymarket 64B

landscapes

On 17/05/2020 at 08:14, landscapes said:

As I have said I will try to build up and overall picture for the backstop from what photos I have and them see if I can then speak to one of the companies who produce backboards.

Hi David,

I'll be interested to hear your experiences with companies who produce backscenes from your own photos when you get round to it, as it's something I'd like to do with my layout. My backscenes (which I put together from my photos using good old-fashioned cut and paste - as in paper and scissors - techniques) are looking a bit tired now and I'd really like to replace them with some good quality photo-quality ones.

I'm enjoying watching your progress with 64B!

Cheers

Dave

Hi

Thank you both to Craig and Dave for your kind comments.

Sorry I did not reply earlier as  we were waiting for the arrival of our new Grandson who was born thIs afternoon, another New generation for railway modelling I hope.

Criag thank you for the photo that will be helpful in building up an overall picture for the backdrop.

incidentally the back drop I photoshop  in some of the photos is Overlooking Corfe  Castle in Dorset, a far cry from Edinburgh but as I have said before I am just trying to get ideas at the moment.

Eric Kidd (Longdrem and Pinkhill Layout) has also been very kind and helpful to me  with information regarding the surrounding area’s.

Dave the backdrop is a long way off but as and when I start looking at Its manufacture I will keep you informed if I find a good Company that can produce a good quality backdrop.

Regards

David

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good Afternoon

Todays two photos show three different Class of locomotives all carrying Headboards.

RTR Bachmann A2 60537 Bachelors Button carrying The Flying Scotsman Headboard and in the second photo I tried to get a low level view of PDK A2/1 60510 Robert The Bruce carrying The Waverley Headboard, I'm not sure if Haymarket ever provided this headboard with a Red Background?

And lurking in the background is RTR renamed Hornby A4 60028 Walter K Whigham with the Queen of Scots Headboard.

Regards

David

60537_IMG_1102B.jpg

60510_IMG_1107B.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

in the second photo I tried to get a low level view of PDK A2/1 60510 Robert The Bruce carrying The Waverley Headboard, I'm not sure if Haymarket ever provided this headboard with a Red Background?

David,

Only light blue.

Eric

13 minutes ago, 60027Merlin said:

in the second photo I tried to get a low level view of PDK A2/1 60510 Robert The Bruce carrying The Waverley Headboard, I'm not sure if Haymarket ever provided this headboard with a Red Background?

David,

Only light blue.

Eric

Hi Eric

thank you for the information and reply, I know if someone was going to Put me right it would probably be you with your knowledge of the depot and passenger services to and from Edinburgh.

I do have a  few light blue headboards my only issue is you cannot read the letters on them where as the dark blue ones stand out clearly.

The headboard is not glued on so I can change it

Thanks again.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Good Afternoon

Todays photos concentrate on two of Haymarket's long standing Pacific's.

A3 60101 Cicero and A4 60012 Commonwealth of Australia, both loco's are Hornby RTR.

60012 has been fitted with a replacement white metal double chimney and 60101 has had an identity change as it started out as 60077 The White Knight, both locos have been weathered but not to much to represent the condition that Haymarket kept it's top link Pacific's.

A3 60101 Cicero from what I have read was a very rare locomotive down south from a trainspotters point of view, apparently it very rarely ventured south of Newcastle, and this time I do have the correct Waverley Headboard with a light Blue background found in my odds and ends box.

A4 60012 was I believe the very last steam locomotive to leave Haymarket back in September 1963 transferred to Dalry Road.

Regards

David

60101_IMG_1134B_edited-1.jpg

60012_IMG_1147B_edited-1.jpg

60101_IMG_1158B_edited-1.jpg

• Like 16

Hi

Todays photo shows Bachman A2 60529 Pearl Diver running down the road on the South side of the main running shed, the brickwork to the shed walls was very detailed mine needs a goos weathering, all in good time.

This road led from the Turntable to the Coaling Tower, Water Tank and onto the ash pits.

Locomotives entering the MPD from Waverley usually stopped at the stores to remove lamps and headboards, then proceeded to the Turntable to be turned if required for their next duty.

I also believe that the driver and fireman would also leave the engine at this point and shed staff would take over.

Then is was a visit to replenish the locomotive with water and coal, then to the Ash Pits and back on shed.

I think I have got that in the right order.

Only this time someone forgot to remove the lamps.

Regards

David

60529_IMG_1170B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
additional information
  • Like 16

Hi 

Tonights photos stay with movements from the turntable down to the coaling tower, water tank and ash pits.

This time we see two of Nigel Gresley's finest, A4's, 60011 Empire of India a resident Haymarket loco and visiting A4 60017 Silver Fox.

Both standard Hornby RTR Locomotives with 60017 Silver Fox has had a name and number change but I cannot remember the donor locomotives identity.

Regards

David

60017_IMG_1194BB_edited-1.jpg

60017_IMG_1174B_edited-1.jpg

60011_IMG_1195BB_edited-1.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi 

Tonights photos stay with movements from the turntable down to the coaling tower, water tank and ash pits.

This time we see two of Nigel Gresley's finest, A4's, 60011 Empire of India a resident Haymarket loco and visiting A4 60017 Silver Fox.

Both standard Hornby RTR Locomotives with 60017 Silver Fox has had a name and number change but I cannot remember the donor locomotives identity.

Regards

David

60017_IMG_1194BB_edited-1.jpg

60017_IMG_1174B_edited-1.jpg

60011_IMG_1195BB_edited-1.jpg

Wow, amazing. It's great seeing modelling like this makes you feel like you are there!!

I have question, what sort of duties would these engines do, for example I have an A3 ( 2500) Windsor Lad which was a Haymarket engine, I was wondering if anyone could guide me to the sort of duties and Non-corridor A3 would have been upto in the 1930's. I assume she'd of carried out expresses and worked out of Scotland into England on short(ish) out and back trips. 

Thank you in advance

Tom

37 minutes ago, Norton Wood said:

Wow, amazing. It's great seeing modelling like this makes you feel like you are there!!

I have question, what sort of duties would these engines do, for example I have an A3 ( 2500) Windsor Lad which was a Haymarket engine, I was wondering if anyone could guide me to the sort of duties and Non-corridor A3 would have been upto in the 1930's. I assume she'd of carried out expresses and worked out of Scotland into England on short(ish) out and back trips. 

Thank you in advance

Tom

Hi Tom

Thank you for your kind comments,

Haymarket Pacific locomotives We’re used on many duties.

The ones I know of from Edinburgh to locations like Carlisle on the Waverley rout and expresses south usually as far as Newcastle.

Then there we’re expresses further North to locations such as Glasgow, Perth and Aberdeen , these all could have been worked by a Pacific locomotive With a non corridor tender.

Obviously Pacific’s with corridor tenders were used for the non stop Anglo Scottish expresses such as the Elizabethan.

Although I have studied Haymarket MPD in great depth to enable me to build the layout my trainspotting days in the early sixties we’re in London we’re I grew up so I am not that familiar with the train workings to and from Edinburgh.

There are a quite a few members on RMWed who often comment on my own Haymarket Thread who have a much better knowledge of the workings of Haymarket locomotives than me.

maybe if any read this they may be able to help and provide more information For you.

Regards

David

• Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tom

Thank you for your kind comments,

Haymarket Pacific locomotives We’re used on many duties.

The ones I know of from Edinburgh to locations like Carlisle on the Waverley rout and expresses south usually as far as Newcastle.

Then there we’re expresses further North to locations such as Glasgow, Perth and Aberdeen , these all could have been worked by a Pacific locomotive With a non corridor tender.

Obviously Pacific’s with corridor tenders were used for the non stop Anglo Scottish expresses such as the Elizabethan.

Although I have studied Haymarket MPD in great depth to enable me to build the layout my trainspotting days in the early sixties we’re in London we’re I grew up so I am not that familiar with the train workings to and from Edinburgh.

There are a quite a few members on RMWed who often comment on my own Haymarket Thread who have a much better knowledge of the workings of Haymarket locomotives than me.

maybe if any read this they may be able to help and provide more information For you.

Regards

David

Thank you, alright I look forward to seeing what those who know far better than me have to say. I've planned to get the Hattons A3 & A4. Both planned as Haymarket engines (Windsor Lad & Golden Plover) set in the late 30's. The A4 would have done anything, as she was fitted with a streamlined corridor tender and the A3 with the High-sided Non-corridor tender. 

43 minutes ago, Norton Wood said:

Thank you, alright I look forward to seeing what those who know far better than me have to say. I've planned to get the Hattons A3 & A4. Both planned as Haymarket engines (Windsor Lad & Golden Plover) set in the late 30's. The A4 would have done anything, as she was fitted with a streamlined corridor tender and the A3 with the High-sided Non-corridor tender. 

Hi Tom

Lets hope someone can provide more information but in the mean time I will have a look through my books to see if I can find out anything more for you.

Regards

David

Good Evening

One new photo this afternoon. A4 60012 Commonwealth of Australia posing by the MPD South wall with the Elizabethan Haedboard while visiting B1 61025 Pallah is lurking in the background on shed.

Both locomotives are Standard Hornby RTR, 61025 had had an identity change from 61032 Stembok.

Regards

David

60012_IMG_1216B.jpg

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Norton Wood said:

Thank you in advance

Tom

I don't think there'll ever be a definitive list of workings for any particular shed but I've scanned the RCTS volume on the A3s and A4s and the best I can come up with for A4s is 'besides working to Newcastle (and King's Cross on the summer non-stop "Flying Scotsman"), the A4's (sic) worked daily to Glasgow and Dundee. In later years they also appeared on the Perth road'

Haymarket A4s were also used on the Coronation.

For A3s, there's a bit more detail as it mentions the 11am Glasgow-Edinburgh, 8-30am Corstorphine-Waverley before working the Up Thames-Forth express. Running in turns were the 5-23pm stopper to Larbert. Some 1920s working which may well have carried on into the late '30s were the 1-15pm, 1-50pm, 7-45pm and 11-5pm workings from Waverley and the corresponding return runs from Newcastle (I don't know which workings these were) and there was also the 7-35am to Glasgow (and, I presume, the corresponding return working).

To find which trains a shed's locos were allocated to, the best thing I've found to do is to find a picture of an engine based at your choice of shed and work out what the train is behind it, although this requires you to have access to Carriage Working Notes and knowledge of carriage types.

Hope this helps,

Jamie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieR4489 said:

I don't think there'll ever be a definitive list of workings for any particular shed but I've scanned the RCTS volume on the A3s and A4s and the best I can come up with for A4s is 'besides working to Newcastle (and King's Cross on the summer non-stop "Flying Scotsman"), the A4's (sic) worked daily to Glasgow and Dundee. In later years they also appeared on the Perth road'

For A3s, there's a bit more detail as it mentions the 11am Glasgow-Edinburgh, 8-30am Corstorphine-Waverley before working the Up Thames-Forth express. Running in turns were the 5-23pm stopper to Larbert. Some 1920s working which may well have carried on into the late '30s were the 1-15pm, 1-50pm, 7-45pm and 11-5pm workings from Waverley and the corresponding return runs from Newcastle (I don't know which workings these were) and there was also the 7-35am to Glasgow (and, I presume, the corresponding return working).

To find which trains a shed's locos were allocated to, the best thing I've found to do is to find a picture of an engine based at your choice of shed and work out what the train is behind it, although this requires you to have access to Carriage Working Notes and knowledge of carriage types.

Hope this helps,

Jamie

Hi Jamie, 

Thanks, very helpful. I have a photo of A3 2500 Windsor Lad on a Edinburgh-Aberdeen Express seen here at Princes St Gardens, I've been on the LNER Encyclopedia Forum's and a few authors to get the closest coach formation to match the photo .  The last two have been more logical in there choice, as you cannot tell what they are. I ask about the A4 because I'm trying to justify getting an 0 Gauge A4 to go with the Set I am building for the A3 ( Below).  

Formation below: 

No.1 – BTK – 4 Compartment Brake -

No.2 – TK – Dia 155 -

No.3 – RC – Dia 187 - 

No.4 – CK –  1st 3rd - 

No.5 – TK –  Dia 155 

No.6 – BTK (3) Compartment Brake - 

No.3 2500 Windsor Lad.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JamieR4489 said:

Hope this helps,

Jamie

Hi Jamie

Thank you for taking the time to investigate and put the information on this thread.

I am sure it will be very helpful to Tom when he next logs on.

Regards

David

Hi 

This evening photos show Hornby A4 60011 Empire of India which I have just completed with a light weathering, and two views on shed of Hornby B1 61025 Pallah which has been renamed and renumbered and weatheredspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png.

Regards

David

60011_IMG_1244B_edited-1.jpg

61025_IMG_1270B_edited-1.jpg

61025_IMG_1272B_edited-1.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Photo
  • Like 13

Hi

Todays photo is a rare view of the West end of Haymarket MPD, with two class D11/2 and an Peppercorn A2 on show.

The photo opportunities are limited at the West end of the layout at the present time due to limited space as the edge of Baseboard four is only approx 250mm from the west face of the shed building.

As I have not photographed this elevation for some time you may notice a bulge in the shed roof, this has now been repaired.

All three locomotive are Bachmann RTR models.

Regards

David

62682_IMG_1291B.jpg

• Like 13

Hi

Following on from my last photo when I found a problem with a bow in the end roof section I then found that the gutter and fascia board to the West Elevation which are all made from brass sections had also come loose.

The only way to repair it properly was to remove both the gutter and fascia rub them both down and repaint, this has now been completed and its all ready for glueing back in position.

I also took the opportunity to take an interior photo of the main shed building, the shed floor is far from completed as there are inspection pits running the whole length of the shed railway on all roads and sleepers will be removed once the shed track-work is fixed into position, also the shed floor is to be treated and weathered.

Also a second layer of 1.5mm thick cork will be laid between each road to bring the entire shed floor up level with the top of the rails

But this will give an indication of what the 64B's interior will finally look like.

Regards

David

Shed_Interior_IMG_1296B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Information
  • Like 11

7 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Really impressive David - very atmospheric!

Peter

Hi Peter

Thank you I must admit I was quite pleasantly surprised with the result, it was just a spur of the moment photo wondering what it would look like.

It's given me the incentive to complete the shed floor as soon as I can, hopefully once this lockdown comes to an

end.

Also I forgot to mention that all the MPD interior lamps all have minute LED lights fitted and they all work as well.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Additional Information

hi

Todays photo shows one of my favourite locomotives, D11/2 class 62690 backing past the shed building down to the Ash Pits.

Repairs to shed all now completed, better than before.

Regards

David

62690_IMG_1311B.jpg

• Like 13

Hi

Photos today show the MPD store building located where the shed meets the main lines to and from Waverley Station, this is where the Headboards and Lamps are put on and removed from locomotives leaving and arriving at the MPD.

Also second photo shows two of Hornby's latest B1's and a Bachmann D11/2, all the Pacific's have left the shed to carry out their duties.

Regards

David

61243_IMG_1317B.jpg

Shed_View_IMG_1344B_edited-1.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Photo
  • Like 7