Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Hi David,

Your entire 'build log' is populated with so many fabulous photos and they keep taking me back there every time I visit here!  

There is one recent photo that is so real that I feel I'm actually standing right there!   It's this one >>>

Haymarket.jpg.d9feccb38d3d98b2aaf1dace89d839b5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Holyrood 60152 said:

Hi David,

Your entire 'build log' is populated with so many fabulous photos and they keep taking me back there every time I visit here!  

There is one recent photo that is so real that I feel I'm actually standing right there!   It's this one >>>

Haymarket.jpg.d9feccb38d3d98b2aaf1dace89d839b5.jpg

Hi Holyrood60152

Thank you for your kind comments, at the moment due to Covid19 I cannot progress with the track-work wiring, so I am playing with the camera just to try out different views and angles around the shed and yard area's.

Its very frustrating and I know I should have a go at the wiring myself but all the turnout points need to be wired and positioned in place before the remaining tracks go down.

All the point-work was hand built for me and I do not want to risk spoiling any of them, Norman Saunders of Just Tracks is going to help once we get back to some type of normality. 

Also the photos hopefully will look far more realistic once all the cinders and ash go down around the tracks, but wiring first.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 4

Good Morning

With todays photo I have tried to get a close up of locomotives on shed with Haymarket's A3 60098 Spion Kop being prepared for duty.

Just have to be very careful with close up photos as the camera can be cruel at times.

Regards

David

60098_IMG_1564B.jpg

• Like 10

Hi

Photo today is another aerial view over the East end and Yard of the MPD.

I have tried to crop the photo a little more to show more locomotive detail and avoid trying to put in a back scene.

Regards

David

60098_IMG_1605B.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

As always lovely evocative pictures. I agree that close ups are tricky, the light plays such cruel tricks in 4mm scale, I prove this every time I take a picture of my loco builds!

I am building a DJH A2/3 at the moment (60523 Sun Castle) which was an ER loco and, I think, did not visit Haymarket very often in the 1950s and early 60s. When its finished perhaps it could visit Haymarked for a portrait?

Kind regards,

Richard B

46 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

As always lovely evocative pictures. I agree that close ups are tricky, the light plays such cruel tricks in 4mm scale, I prove this every time I take a picture of my loco builds!

I am building a DJH A2/3 at the moment (60523 Sun Castle) which was an ER loco and, I think, did not visit Haymarket very often in the 1950s and early 60s. When its finished perhaps it could visit Haymarked for a portrait?

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

Your always welcome for a portrait of your locomotives, I am no expert but I doubt very much if A2/3 60523 Sun Castle ever got to visit Haymarket.

But maybe some of our RMWeb colleagues from Scotland may know better.

I would be very interested to see photos of 60523 Sun Castle when its completed.

Just a point of interest, why don't you choose an alternative member of the class as 60523 Sun Castle is one of Hornby's options when they are available later this year or more realistic early next year and I imagine they will be a lot cheaper than building your own A2/3 although there is no comparison with RTR and building your own model, a skill that is beyond my capabilities.

I only ever managed to see three of Thompson's A2/3's in my trainspotting days those being 60500, 60520 and 60523.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

Firstly, thanks very much for the offer, very kind. I agree, its unlikely that 60523 ever made it up to Haymarket but you never know.

I bought the DJH kit four years ago intending to build it for my (now) late brother since we both saw this loco many times. I have only just got around to building the kit and since I purchased the nameplates too I shall build it as 60523! I have 60501, 60512 and 60700 on pre-order, yes I know madness for an SR modeller! I also have a Crownline kit for A1/1 "Great Northern" to build at some time.

I didn't see many more A2/3s than you managed 60500,12,13,14,20 and 23. The Peppercorn A2's were very rare down south and we only managed 60532 and 33 both caught at Doncaster if I recall.

Kind regards,

Richard

37 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

Firstly, thanks very much for the offer, very kind. I agree, its unlikely that 60523 ever made it up to Haymarket but you never know.

I bought the DJH kit four years ago intending to build it for my (now) late brother since we both saw this loco many times. I have only just got around to building the kit and since I purchased the nameplates too I shall build it as 60523! I have 60501, 60512 and 60700 on pre-order, yes I know madness for an SR modeller! I also have a Crownline kit for A1/1 "Great Northern" to build at some time.

I didn't see many more A2/3s than you managed 60500,12,13,14,20 and 23. The Peppercorn A2's were very rare down south and we only managed 60532 and 33 both caught at Doncaster if I recall.

Kind regards,

Richard

Hi Richard

It sound like you have plenty to do by way of building your kits of 60523 and 60113.

To be quite honest I would buy any Thompson Pacific if I could but they would have to be RTR as I have said locomotive kit building is a step to far for me.

I have also placed an order for 60501 as well, after lots of investigation work as I want to stay true to Haymarket as far as locomotive go.

I am still looking at the possibility of changing it to 60502 as I have a photo of her at Haymarket in 1960 but don't fancy trying to carve off the plastic numberplate above the top hand rail.

I will also be placing an order for one of Hornby's A2/3's as well, my best be will be to get 60523 Sun Castle and change its identity to a Tyneside loco.

Very tempted with the W1 60700 but that would not be in keeping with 64B and its locomotives

Good luck with the kit building and please feel free to post any photos of your work on this thread if you would like to I would be very interested to see them.

Regards

David

Hi 

Today we see A4 60023 Golden Eagle about to depart to Waverley then home to Gateshead.

60023 I believe was a regular visitor to Haymarket, and I would like to say she is in typical Tyneside condition but actually she is quite clean at the moment.

This is a Hornby China made RTR A4, originally it was 60018 Sparrow Hawk which I renamed and numbered.

Regards

Daivd

60023_IMG_1616B.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

David,

Light weathering on Golden Eagle is spot on, really good. It makes the loco look so much more like a working A4 than a model. Just one picture of 60523 under construction. Much more to do and ride height needs adjusting.

240842372_003(2).JPG.1d8d274b362fe18896b8120124ebd993.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, 30368 said:

David,

Light weathering on Golden Eagle is spot on, really good. It makes the loco look so much more like a working A4 than a model. Just one picture of 60523 under construction. Much more to do and ride height needs adjusting.

240842372_003(2).JPG.1d8d274b362fe18896b8120124ebd993.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard 

Thank you, Your A2/3 is looking very good please Feel free to post photos of the progress on your A2/3 any time.

Regards

David

On 30/06/2020 at 15:49, landscapes said:

Hi Richard

Your always welcome for a portrait of your locomotives, I am no expert but I doubt very much if A2/3 60523 Sun Castle ever got to visit Haymarket.

But maybe some of our RMWeb colleagues from Scotland may know better.

Regards

David

Hi David and Richard,

While I can't say for sure if 60523 Sun Castle ever did visit 64B I can say for sure that 'she' was spotted from time to time on the ECML heading to and from Waverley station.  I lived about a 6 minute walk from the ECML 6 miles east of Edinburgh in the late 50s/early 60s.  Over a 3 - 4 year period there wouldn't have been many days when we weren't patiently congregated at the main line!

Almost every weekend would find us at Haymarket (as well as Dalry Road [64C] and [64A] St Margaret's) and it's very possible that Sun Castle may have been there on some of our visits.  I can only assume that if it made trips up to Waverley then it would most likely have carried on to 64B for preparation for its journeys back south.

Knowing what I know now, it would have been smart if we had kept a diary of what we saw and where and when we saw it!  Back then, we were really only interested in recording their numbers "on site" (whether just beside the railway, in a station or at a shed) and underlining our Ian Allan book(s) when we got home.   Now, I wish I could read 'that diary' that I never kept!

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Holyrood 60152 said:

Hi David and Richard,

While I can't say for sure if 60523 Sun Castle ever did visit 64B I can say for sure that 'she' was spotted from time to time on the ECML heading to and from Waverley station.  I lived about a 6 minute walk from the ECML 6 miles east of Edinburgh in the late 50s/early 60s.  Over a 3 - 4 year period there wouldn't have been many days when we weren't patiently congregated at the main line!

Almost every weekend would find us at Haymarket (as well as Dalry Road [64C] and [64A] St Margaret's) and it's very possible that Sun Castle may have been there on some of our visits.  I can only assume that if it made trips up to Waverley then it would most likely have carried on to 64B for preparation for its journeys back south.

Knowing what I know now, it would have been smart if we had kept a diary of what we saw and where and when we saw it!  Back then, we were really only interested in recording their numbers "on site" (whether just beside the railway, in a station or at a shed) and underlining our Ian Allan book(s) when we got home.   Now, I wish I could read 'that diary' that I never kept!

Hi Holyrood60152

Mant thanks for the information your word is good enough for me.

I never thought that 60523 Sun Castle would have ever gone past Newcastle.

That certainly  Opens up the option to buy Hornby’s 60523 and not have to change the identity.

His I wish I could have had an opportunity to visit Haymarket MPD in steam days, unfortunately by the time I started trainspotting Back in 1962 as a nine year old Haymarket was too far away for me and well on the way to becoming a diesel depot.

Coming from London Doncaster was the furthest I ever got north on the ECML in steam days.

Thanks again for your input 

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
More information

• RMweb Premium

One can very rarely say never when discussing things such as this, but the odds against 60523 getting as far as Edinburgh have to be very high. But then it would be impossible to prove that it never happened either!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, great northern said:

One can very rarely say never when discussing things such as this, but the odds against 60523 getting as far as Edinburgh have to be very high. But then it would be impossible to prove that it never happened either!

Hi Gilbert

I totally agree with you, but It’s always very helpful  when fellow members like Holyrood60152 can provide confirmation that a particular locomotive was seen at a particular location.

I remember back in very early 1963 seeing both 60001 & 60002 side by side at the buffer stops in Kings Cross Station,

I know what I saw but can find no proof of those two A4’s working into London at the same time so close to the end of steam south of Peterborough and I have made quite a few enquires with no luck.

In fact one person said that 60002 was in Doncaster undergoing repairs around that time and I could not have seen it in London, but I did.

Only possibility is the adverse weather in early 1963 they may have both deputised for diesel failures. 

Regards

David  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

I totally agree with you, but It’s always very helpful  when fellow members like Holyrood60152 can provide confirmation that a particular locomotive was seen at a particular location.

I remember back in very early 1963 seeing both 60001 & 60002 side by side at the buffer stops in Kings Cross Station,

I know what I saw but can find no proof of those two A4’s working into London at the same time so close to the end of steam south of Peterborough and I have made quite a few enquires with no luck.

In fact one person said that 60002 was in Doncaster undergoing repairs around that time and I could not have seen it in London, but I did.

Only possibility is the adverse weather in early 1963 they may have both deputised for diesel failures. 

Regards

David  

No record in Yeadon of 60002 being in works in 1963 David, and It is quite likely that two Gateshead engines would have been seen together in London during that terrible winter. Diesel failures owing to faulty steam heating  boilers were very common.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, great northern said:

No record in Yeadon of 60002 being in works in 1963 David, and It is quite likely that two Gateshead engines would have been seen together in London during that terrible winter. Diesel failures owing to faulty steam heating  boilers were very common.

Thanks Gilbert for the confirmation. 

Regards

David

Good Morning

Today we have Hornby A3 60043 Brown Jack, one of Haymarket's A3's.

This model came with the German Style Smoke Deflectors and overhead warning signs so it has been tucked away for a few years.

This early 1960's period in Brown Jacks history does not fit into my Haymarket MPD layout in 1958/1959, so her she is with deflectors removed and ready for the boiler handrails to be increased in length and run around to the smoke box end and weathered.

The 0.45mm brass wire I needed to complete the minor alterations arrived in the post yesterday from Markits.

Trying to drill out holes the diameter of a needle and fit handrail knobs that disappear into oblivion when they spring out from the tweezers not to mention trying to thread the brass wire very frustrating. 

Regards

David

60043_IMG_1659B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Information
  • Like 7
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Our vacuum cleaner is full of handrail knobs and similar! I When searching for a dropped part I always find that 16BA nut I lost 2 months ago but never what I was looking for. Sods Law I guess!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Our vacuum cleaner is full of handrail knobs and similar! I When searching for a dropped part I always find that 16BA nut I lost 2 months ago but never what I was looking for. Sods Law I guess!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard 

I know exactly what you mean, if I drop any handrail knobs on the carpet I just give up and leave them where they fall.

My eyesight is not what is was and  that’s why it’s a struggle threading the wire through the handrail knobs.

I have just finished the work On 60043 and  just need to dry brush the whole area in Gunmetal 27004.

Photo to follow later.

Regards

David

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

60043 looks very good, it is a loco on shed awaiting its next turn of duty although obviously after the handrail knob has been located and fitted!

As I work on my loco's I have noted that I need the magnifying glasses more often!

A picture of 60523 to show progress. Green stuff on firebox due to soldering iron linger!

2115260906_003(2).JPG.8fe5abfe96826f7185153577a805b8bd.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

60043 looks very good, it is a loco on shed awaiting its next turn of duty although obviously after the handrail knob has been located and fitted!

As I work on my loco's I have noted that I need the magnifying glasses more often!

A picture of 60523 to show progress. Green stuff on firebox due to soldering iron linger!

2115260906_003(2).JPG.8fe5abfe96826f7185153577a805b8bd.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

Wow that is really looking good, I don't know how you manage to build that intricate valve gear I wouldn't know where to start.

I am assuming the green stains are a chemical reaction?

I am sure a bit of cleaning then it will disappear under a fabulous paint finish.

Thank you for posting the photo, look forward to more.

I forgot to say earlier if you need any boiler band transfers I have quite a few certainly enough for you to complete Sun Castle, they are Fox Transfers, I order plenty when I was working on the two Bachmann/ G King A2/3 conversions.

You are welcome to them when you need them.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1