Haymarket 64B

landscapes

24 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Many thanks for the great pictures Ray, much appreciated. Plenty of pacifics on shed then!

My planned or rather re installed layout is of Basingstoke 70D. For me the sheds were always the most interesting part of the railway.

Your "Great Northern" looks very good. I have built a fair number of PDK kits so the Crownline A1/1 should be fairly strait forward as you suggest.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Thanks , Richard , one can never have too many pacific's on shed !!

If David doesn't mind I would love to see your progress on both 60523 & 60113 .I always enjoy seeing other peoples work whether they are beginners or experts . I never got to the Southern in steam days but Basingstoke shed sounds a very interesting layout ( I was always a shed basher rather than a linesider )

Cheers ,

Ray .

• Agree 1

Hi Richard & Ray

Please forgive me I am not keeping up with my own thread, no objections what so ever, please feel free to put photos of your pacific's on the thread any time.

Its great and inspirational to see other members work, you have both produced fine models well beyond my modelling capabilities.

I am just working on some new replacement smokebox doors for some of my pacific's using Graeme Kings resin doors, they are excellent in both value and quality.

I have just received in the post today some smokebox door shed plates for them from Fox Transferes and I must say I am a little disappointed with them, they seem to be a little undersized in scale compared with the ones I have previously used.

And to make matters worse I dropped one on the floor and spent about 20 minutes looking without any luck, it was 52B Heaton for my A2/3 60511 Airborne.

Also I have been taking some photos of my Hornby RTR A4 60009 Union of South Africa on the layout, I renamed and numbered it some time ago from 60031 Golden Plover I will put some photos on later.

Please keep your photos coming I am sure members are probably getting bored just seeing my models and would welcome the change.  

Regards

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

David,

Occupational hazard loosing bits to the great black hole of the floor!

Just checked, I only have ER and ScR shed plates, sorry!

Kind regards,

Richard

2 hours ago, 30368 said:

Many thanks for the great pictures Ray, much appreciated. Plenty of pacifics on shed then!

My planned or rather re installed layout is of Basingstoke 70D. For me the sheds were always the most interesting part of the railway.

Your "Great Northern" looks very good. I have built a fair number of PDK kits so the Crownline A1/1 should be fairly strait forward as you suggest.

Kind regards,

Richard B

I have built the PDK version of the A1/1, sorry its not a nice kit , well I didnt find it so. So you are awrae of the following problem areas. I believe PDK and Crownline are virtually identical kits

Resin Boiler not good.

Chassis if it is a fold up version. The PDK chassis  when folded up offered minmal side play on the drivers, I had to file the bushes almost flat against the frames, for any movement at all . As a result it wouldnt go around anyjting other than slight curves. It might be better to cut the chassis  into seperate frames and solder etched spacers instead into the chassis.

Cab had the rivet set up for a A2/3 on the sides.

Tender poor design, and very hard to solder the sides on without making dents/ripples in the sides due to the large holes in the inner rear support frame.

Poor detail valve gear and castings.

After all that it did work and was quickly sold on .

Luckily  I then built a two (different LNER liveries) A1/1's using Hornby A3's and Graeme King's excellent resin and etched parts. There are photos on my thread of all three models.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

I found the D15 and H15 (two) kits fairly straitforward to build although they all have brass rolled boilers.

I take your point about the chassis and will adapt as suggested if that is needed. Regarding the cab sides, I really have not looked at the etches yet but if so, the DJH A2/3 kit does have an A1 (Peppercorn I guess) cab etch which I'm sure I could adapt.

The tender construction soulds a bit like the large Urie bogie tender fitted to most of the H15 and yes it can be a bit fiddly. Again I havn't looked at the valvegear but the H15 valve gear was a bit simplistic but very robust and easy to build. I do appreciate your comments and tips, many thanks.

I like the idea of converting an A3 into an A1/1, didn't someone do that back in the 1940s?

Assuming its the same guy, I am buying some GCR parts for my Judith/Michael Edge LNER B9 etches from Graeme useful to know that he is also the source of those parts too. I will check out your thread.

It sounds like you build loco's commercially, sorry if I have got that wrong, I just build mine for pleasure and to add to my collection. I couldn't build them for money and that is not a criticism of doing so just my angle.

Keep up the good work,

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368

14 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi Mick,

I found the D15 and H15 (two) kits fairly straitforward to build although they all have brass rolled boilers.

I take your point about the chassis and will adapt as suggested if that is needed. Regarding the cab sides, I really have not looked at the etches yet but if so, the DJH A2/3 kit does have an A1 (Peppercorn I guess) cab etch which I'm sure I could adapt.

The tender construction soulds a bit like the large Urie bogie tender fitted to most of the H15 and yes it can be a bit fiddly. Again I havn't looked at the valvegear but the H15 valve gear was a bit simplistic but very robust and easy to build. I do appreciate your comments and tips, many thanks.

I like the idea of converting an A3 into an A1/1, didn't someone do that back in the 1940s?

Assuming its the same guy, I am buying some GCR parts for my Judith/Michael Edge LNER B9 etches from Graeme useful to know that he is also the source of those parts too. I will check out your thread.

It sounds like you build loco's commercially, sorry if I have got that wrong, I just build mine for pleasure and to add to my collection. I couldn't build them for money and that is not a criticism of doing so just my angle.

Keep up the good work,

Kind regards,

Richard B

No I build for myself , I have done occasional models for others in the past. 

I havent seen the Crownline kit, but I would be surprised if there is much different. If it has P. Hill on the etches they will be similar at least. I have'nt done any Crownline kits and I am in no rush to do anything else PDK !!. The A1/1 Cab was simply far too many rivets and in the wrong places.

One of my A1/1s which goes around corners !!

post-7186-0-52466700-1449594816_thumb.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

Really great work. I see you have fitted the speed recorder too. So this is a Hornby A3 with GK "front end". It look really good. Pleased that it goes around corners!

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS Dave - sorry we seem briefly to have taken over!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi Mick,

Really great work. I see you have fitted the speed recorder too. So this is a Hornby A3 with GK "front end". It look really good. Pleased that it goes around corners!

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS Dave - sorry we seem briefly to have taken over!

Hi Richard

no problem, it’s always nice to see Mick’s work.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Good Morning

A few photos of A4 60009 Union of South Africa around the Shed, in the last photo I have tried to recreate what I regard as the iconic photo of a pacific posing on the Haymarket turntable as seen in so many photos of the MPD.

As I said before this is a standard Hornby RTR A4 previously 60031 Golden Plover which I already had.

I was not prepared to pay the silly amount required for the Hornby 60009 which was issued as part of the commonwealth collection, for some reason 60009 was always far more expensive on Ebay than the other four locomotives and was not available in the retail shops by the time I was looking for one. 

Regards

David

60009_IMG_1993BB.jpg

60009_IMG_2065BB.jpg

60009_IMG_2078BB.jpg

• Like 12

Hi

Today I though I would try photoshopping a smoke effect on I photo I took last night which I am quite happy with the overall effect.

I have re-arranged the LED lighting in the model layout room to give me a bit more light to the front of the layout which I am hoping will improve my photography images.

Regards

David 

IMG_2084S.jpg

• Like 14

On 07/08/2020 at 18:44, micklner said:

I have built the PDK version of the A1/1, sorry its not a nice kit , well I didnt find it so. So you are awrae of the following problem areas. I believe PDK and Crownline are virtually identical kits

Resin Boiler not good.

Chassis if it is a fold up version. The PDK chassis  when folded up offered minmal side play on the drivers, I had to file the bushes almost flat against the frames, for any movement at all . As a result it wouldnt go around anyjting other than slight curves. It might be better to cut the chassis  into seperate frames and solder etched spacers instead into the chassis.

Cab had the rivet set up for a A2/3 on the sides.

Tender poor design, and very hard to solder the sides on without making dents/ripples in the sides due to the large holes in the inner rear support frame.

Poor detail valve gear and castings.

After all that it did work and was quickly sold on .

Luckily  I then built a two (different LNER liveries) A1/1's using Hornby A3's and Graeme King's excellent resin and etched parts. There are photos on my thread of all three models.

My model of 60113 was an original Crownline kit .I found no difficulty with the tender , though that may be more luck than judgement ! It appears that the resin boilers vary a great deal , my own wasn't bad , though I prefer white metal as in DJH kits .

The frames are a little wider than some but mine happily traverses medium radius points & some fairly sharp curves without problem .

Regarding the cab , the rivet detail on mine was correct for 60113 , however, it is slightly too short in height , a problem common to all Crownline LNER pacific kits .

The valve gear is simplified but it is easy to erect .

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed building the kit ( many years ago ) It is not perfect but I feel captures the look of the original .

Having said that I do like the look of your Graeme King conversions & it shows we all see things slightly differently .

Cheers ,

Ray .

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Ray Flintoft said:

My model of 60113 was an original Crownline kit .I found no difficulty with the tender , though that may be more luck than judgement ! It appears that the resin boilers vary a great deal , my own wasn't bad , though I prefer white metal as in DJH kits .

The frames are a little wider than some but mine happily traverses medium radius points & some fairly sharp curves without problem .

Regarding the cab , the rivet detail on mine was correct for 60113 , however, it is slightly too short in height , a problem common to all Crownline LNER pacific kits .

The valve gear is simplified but it is easy to erect .

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed building the kit ( many years ago ) It is not perfect but I feel captures the look of the original .

Having said that I do like the look of your Graeme King conversions & it shows we all see things slightly differently .

Cheers ,

Ray .

The A1/1 I built was at the time a new re-release , reading your description, the etches on mine were a step backwards in quality .

On 10/08/2020 at 19:16, micklner said:

The A1/1 I built was at the time a new re-release , reading your description, the etches on mine were a step backwards in quality .

You may well be right , Mick , I haven't seen the PDK version . Perhaps in attempting to correct the height of the cab sides they have used a generic Thompson cab side , which as you say is incorrect for Great Northern .

I built my model when it was a new releases from Crownline  & there was no alternative . If I was to build a model of Great Northern now , I would probably follow the same route as you have , as it does look slightly superior to the Crownline kit .

Cheers ,

Ray .

Good Morning

My latest little project on Haymarket is RTR Hornby B1 61243 Sir Harold Mitchell a Scottish based member of the class, I have had this model since it was first introduced and finally got around to detailing and weathering it.

All thats required now is a crew and fire irons to be fitted.

This close up photo also shows my amendments to the standard Peco 00 scale turntable.

Regards

David

IMG_2185B_edited-1.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Information
  • Like 14

On 15/08/2020 at 08:57, landscapes said:

Good Morning

My latest little project on Haymarket is RTR Hornby B1 61243 Sir Harold Mitchell a Scottish based member of the class, I have had this model since it was first introduced and finally got around to detailing and weathering it.

This close up photo also shows my amendments to the standard Peco 00 scale turntable.

Regards

David

IMG_2185B_edited-1.jpg

That's a gorgeous B1 David, have you added extra plumbing to the right hand side of the Boiler? Really looks the part!

- Dylan

3 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

That's a gorgeous B1 David, have you added extra plumbing to the right hand side of the Boiler? Really looks the part!

- Dylan

Hi Dylan

Thank you for your kind comment.

Yes on some of the B1’s they had an additional pipe running the full

length if the boiler on as you say the right hand side.

The Hornby model doses try to replicate it with a thin plastic line, I should have tried to remove it but was concerned I might ruin the model.

Also my pipe is straight on many of the real locomotives the pipe was far from straight.

Regards

David

• Agree 1

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 08:57, landscapes said:

Good Morning

Regards

David

IMG_2185B_edited-1.jpg

Hi David, 

another excellent photo on your layout, would you possibly gives us a guide or more in depth description of how you weather your locos as it looks very realistic?  

cheers

Pete

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

David,

I agree with previous comments but would add that I really like the ScR style lining on the front of the running plate sides.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Good Morning

Regards

David

IMG_2185B_edited-1.jpg

Very nice , David . You're engines always look the part & show how RTR can be made to look realistic . I don't think you need to fit fire irons as the B.1's ( or at least most of them ) had a fire iron tunnel on the tender . One less job to do !!

I wish I had replaced the plastic handrails on my Peco tender  as yours looks so much better .

Regards ,

Ray . 

Just now, Ray Flintoft said:

Very nice , David . You're engines always look the part & show how RTR can be made to look realistic . I don't think you need to fit fire irons as the B.1's ( or at least most of them ) had a fire iron tunnel on the tender . One less job to do !!

I wish I had replaced the plastic handrails on my Peco tender  as yours looks so much better .

Regards ,

Ray . 

Correction , I of course mean my Peco turntable !

44 minutes ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Correction , I of course mean my Peco turntable !

Hi Ray

You make a good point, regarding the fire iron tunnel on a B1, I do like to have fire irons laying around the tenders just to add a bit more detail and realism.

But I have quite a few more locos that require irons so may leave the two B1's I have.

Regards

David

4 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

Hi David, 

another excellent photo on your layout, would you possibly gives us a guide or more in depth description of how you weather your locos as it looks very realistic?  

cheers

Pete

Thank you to both Richard and Pete for your kind comments.

I must be honest weathering is a bit of a hit and miss to me, I do tend to follow the ideas on weathering by Tim Shackleton he does make it look so easy and it not.

I have a few of his books and a DVD as well which I use for reference, I do try to use a prototype coloured photo as well.

But I honestly think you could weather a locomotive blindly and still find a photo that will bare some resemblance to what you have done such is the diverseness of weathering, so different on thousands of locomotives

I only use four colours in various combinations and for me thats enough, I use Humbrol enamel paints.

No 62 Matt Leather,

No 33 Matt Black,

No18 Orange,

No 27004 Gunmetal Metal Cote,

Believe it or not I have four Air Brushes and a compressor and so far I have never used any of them, I like to use various types of brushes including dry brushing as well.

in my opinion wafting an airbrush over a model is too even, with a brush you get texture, it's the same process when I apply Johnson's Klear with a brush you get streak marks to give an uneven finish which I think looks a bit more realistic.

I tend to dry brush a mixture of Matt Black and Gunmetal across the boiler top with more gunmetal to the smokebox area below the chimney, when dry rub that area with your finger or a cotton bud to bring out that hot metallic sheen.

Wheels and motion are the same two colours mixed with Matt Leather varying the colours as I go, I add a little more Matt Leather to the Rods to try to create that oily greasy look, I know some people use red fr this as a base colour

I sometime use white spirits to remove some of the paint again to give that streaky impression left by water running down over the dirt and grime on the boiler and tender sides.

Also to give a slight rust and corrosion to some parts I use Matt Leather mixed with a small amount of Orange dry brushed again.

And sometimes I completely cock the whole thing up take off as much paint as I can with spirits and start again.

I do believe lees is more and keep the weathering to a minimum especially on the Pacific's as Haymarket was well known for it's clean locomotives in the 1950's.

I hope that helps.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good Morning

Regards

David

IMG_2185B_edited-1.jpg

I think that's one of the most-natural model locomotives I've ever seen.

My most sincere compliments.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I think that's one of the most-natural model locomotives I've ever seen.

My most sincere compliments.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony

Coming from you I take that as very high praise indeed, I know from your own comments you also apply dry brush weathering on your own superb models.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1