Haymarket 64B

landscapes

45 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

A couple of high level photos taken at different view points showing Hornby B1 61243 Sir Harold Mitchell now moved and standing on No 2 Road of the shed awaiting it's next duties.

Regards

David

IMG_2199B_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2208B_edited-1.jpg

Beautiful work as always David, I'm really enjoying following your thread and it's providing me with lots of inspiration for my layout, which takes inspiration from both Haymarket and Doncaster shed! 

Keep up the good work,

Dylan.

Edited by Dylan Sanderson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Beautiful work as always David, I'm really enjoying following your thread and it's providing me with lots of inspiration for may layout which takes inspiration from both Haymarket and Doncaster shed! 

Keep up the good work,

Dylan.

Hi Dylan

Thank you, can I take it from your reply that you are creating a fictional MPD layout?

If so a good choice in my opinion as you are free to do what you want, there is a lot of work involved in trying to recreate an actual location especially if it disappeared 50 or more years ago.

Thats why Haymarket is just an attempt to recreate an image of what the MPD might have looked like in the 1950's, say unlike Tony Wright's Little Bytham layout which is astonishingly accurate to the prototype.

Good Luck with your project and we are lucky that there are plenty of good members on this website willing to help with advice.

Regards

David

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Dylan

Thank you, can I take it from your reply that you are creating a fictional MPD layout?

If so a good choice in my opinion as you are free to do what you want, there is a lot of work involved in trying to recreate an actual location especially if it disappeared 50 or more years ago.

Thats why Haymarket is just an attempt to recreate an image of what the MPD might have looked like in the 1950's, say unlike Tony Wright's Little Bytham layout which is astonishingly accurate to the prototype.

Good Luck with your project and we are lucky that there are plenty of good members on this website willing to help with advice.

Regards

David

Aye, very much fictional! I'm limited to 12x1ft, so I'm just going for a simple 4 road MPD with a bit of point work and the odd siding. I own a fair few BR(E) locos, so an MPD was the obvious choice. The track plan takes inspiration from Doncaster, and the buildings from Haymarket. The MPD will also have a similar use to Doncaster, so will feature lots of visiting locos (just an excuse so I don't have to rename everything to locos from one shed in particular!) Hopefully once I get some good photographic progress, I'll start my own thread to document my progress.

Dylan.

6 minutes ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Aye, very much fictional! I'm limited to 12x1ft, so I'm just going for a simple 4 road MPD with a bit of point work and the odd siding. I own a fair few BR(E) locos, so an MPD was the obvious choice. The track plan takes inspiration from Doncaster, and the buildings from Haymarket. The MPD will also have a similar use to Doncaster, so will feature lots of visiting locos (just an excuse so I don't have to rename everything to locos from one shed in particular!) Hopefully once I get some good photographic progress, I'll start my own thread to document my progress.

Dylan.

Hi Dylan

I hope you don’t mind me saying that a layout of just 12 inches Wide if I am correct in reading your last reply may prove a little difficult to have a four road MPD with space around it, but obviously I have not seen what design you have in mind.

Haymarket is eight roads wide and the overall dimensions of the shed building is 510mm wide.

The experience and knowledge I have acquired in building Haymarket I will be happy to help advise on suppliers if you get stuck on any materials You may need.

i will certainly look forward to see your thread once you start it.

Regards

David

Hi Dylan 'Waverley SHed' started out at 24" = its grown a bit since, but it was fun when it first got build . It even had a turntable!

That was its first iterationIMG_0485.jpg.c301a3a177ec6575a6f9a0cb5e838cd2.jpg

Then we added some scenic bits

IMG_0632.jpg.21e5e46f77a42ad861fe52ae910c704c.jpg

Then i  expanded sideways after moving to my last loft, adding some carriage sidings ad an embankment ruling up the back - I have a movie of this  scene somewhere ion m own thread.

Screenshot_2020-08-19_at_16_01_40.png.20a87eb6e40ad02fae178d0109eb853e.png

Now it's all back in bits as a further move means a rethink of the whole design, but the core remains, albeit with longer roads and a wider base. SO you see, just because your shed will only be 12" wide now - who knows where it will grow in the future!

IMG_3373.jpeg.ffa7e0a3c19eacc71a48f63a09e64eb6.jpeg

• Like 7

19 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Dylan

I hope you don’t mind me saying that a layout of just 12 inches Wide if I am correct in reading your last reply may prove a little difficult to have a four road MPD with space around it, but obviously I have not seen what design you have in mind.

Haymarket is eight roads wide and the overall dimensions of the shed building is 510mm wide.

The experience and knowledge I have acquired in building Haymarket I will be happy to help advise on suppliers if you get stuck on any materials You may need.

i will certainly look forward to see your thread once you start it.

Regards

David

It certainly is a tight fit!

I don't have much to show but hopefully this will show what I intend to achieve. This is one of my 6ft boards, on the other I'll have two pairs of points so locos can change roads and maybe a thunderbird siding for an A1 or an A3. The shed will be 2ft long and will hide a cassette loading system. Between the shed and point work I'll have some Ash Pits. The two centre lines are the main running lines connecting the shed to the Doncaster station. The left hand and right hand tracks will be sidings that end somewhere on the other 6ft board.

Thank you for the offer of helping with building advice! I'm a product developer for Scale Model Scenery so I'll be designing my own range of products for the layout. 

Ta muchly!

Dylan.

IMG_5735.jpeg

IMG_5734.jpeg

IMG_5885.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

It certainly is a tight fit!

I don't have much to show but hopefully this will show what I intend to achieve. This is one of my 6ft boards, on the other I'll have two pairs of points so locos can change roads and maybe a thunderbird siding for an A1 or an A3. The shed will be 2ft long and will hide a cassette loading system. Between the shed and point work I'll have some Ash Pits. The two centre lines are the main running lines connecting the shed to the Doncaster station. The left hand and right hand tracks will be sidings that end somewhere on the other 6ft board.

Thank you for the offer of helping with building advice! I'm a product developer for Scale Model Scenery so I'll be designing my own range of products for the layout. 

Ta muchly!

Dylan.

IMG_5735.jpeg

IMG_5734.jpeg

IMG_5885.jpeg

Hi Dylan

looking at your baseboards you should have the space to Fit your engine shed as you have no track work running to the sides of the building.

Good luck with your project, and hopefully look forward to seeing photos of your progress once you start your thread.

Regards

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of engine sheds full of the LNER's finest is making me think again! Perhaps I should be more ambitious than 70D?

I have now finished 60523 "Sun Castle" so if I may David, some pictures. Not up to your superb images but perhaps we will arrange that visit to North Wiltshire and re-create the unlikely visit of 60523 on Haymarket?

1871486619_001(2).JPG.62201e9adad1d69b519dd5b8dda4c4f4.JPG

1084159562_003(2).JPG.95134c779f2ffb7401dba1bfb6de1dad.JPG

180355272_007(2).JPG.af37aa679d7b381af2449fd2f0381064.JPG

19950557_008(2).JPG.7e5497282c34744b7243459b33589e72.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, 30368 said:

All this talk of engine sheds full of the LNER's finest is making me think again! Perhaps I should be more ambitious than 70D?

I have now finished 60523 "Sun Castle" so if I may David, some pictures. Not up to your superb images but perhaps we will arrange that visit to North Wiltshire and re-create the unlikely visit of 60523 on Haymarket?

Kind regards,

Richard B

Very nice work , Richard . Here's an even dirtier York A.2/3 from the DJH kit . Lovely to see more of the under-rated Thompson pacifics in model form .

Regards ,

Ray . 

P1010373a.jpg

P1010375a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, 30368 said:

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard 

I was wondering where you had got to, now I know completing Sun Castle.

Take a big pat on the back that model looks stunning, you have done a fabulous job on it.

I love the weathering you have done as well.

looking forward to seeing your next kit build project, please keep us updated on your progress.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Additional Information
  • Agree 1

Good afternoon

After seeing Richards superb kit built A2/3 60523 Sun Castle, I am just getting away from Thompson's Pacific's for a short period as I cant get enough of them, although two are photo bombing my J36.

Anyone wishing to show their Thompson Pacific's to other members please feel free to put them on this thread.

Anyway here we have a Hornby J36 65311 Haig resting on the turntable, that is one of the reasons I chose Haymarket a large Scottish MPD where many smaller class locomotives mingling with the larger pacific's, many of which with me coming from London I would never see.

Regards

David

65311_IMG_2239B.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Anyone wishing to show their Thompson Pacific's to other members please feel free to put them on this thread.

As suggested David here are two of Haymarket's own out on the road!

Eric

1046424331_A2.360519Honeyway.JPG.f857b1481ddac97de41d61344c55ace8.JPG

968217433_A2.160507HighlandChieftan.JPG.c8e3f04608b337000b0a46795b8e55b9.JPG

Edited by 60027Merlin
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks David for letting all of us Thompson Pacific fans take over your thread. Such a lot of skill out there, the Hornby examples better be good which I'm sure they will be. However, as many have said, the enjoyment and satisfaction of building your own loco is timeless.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Thanks David for letting all of us Thompson Pacific fans take over your thread. Such a lot of skill out there, the Hornby examples better be good which I'm sure they will be. However, as many have said, the enjoyment and satisfaction of building your own loco is timeless.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard 

I totally agree with you I am also throughly enjoying seeing other members work as well.

Surely the whole point about these threads are for members to share their work and thoughts.

Regarding the coming Hornby’ Thompson Pacific’s early next year, Tony Wright I believe has been advising Hornby’ regarding their design and build and looking at the latest examples on Hornby’s website I am sure they will be very good indeed.

Regards

David

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Regarding the coming Hornby’ Thompson Pacific’s early next year, Tony Wright I believe has been advising Hornby’ regarding their design and build and looking at the latest examples on Hornby’s website I am sure they will be very good indeed.

In which case they will be first class. Tony is so very knowledgeable regarding the products of Doncaster and Darlington and this will be reflected in the Hornby models. I understand that Tony has also built a few models of same!!!

Kind regards,

Richard B

16 minutes ago, 30368 said:

In which case they will be first class. Tony is so very knowledgeable regarding the products of Doncaster and Darlington and this will be reflected in the Hornby models. I understand that Tony has also built a few models of same!!!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard 

I think it’s more than a few, have you seen Tony’s Little Bytham thread?

well worth looking at.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, 30368 said:

I understand that Tony has also built a few models of same!!!

Sorry David, I was being ironic!

Kind regards,

Richard

• Like 1

3 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Mick

Is the livery on 506 Apple Green, although I model in Brunswick Green I do think the A2/2’s look stunning in that colour.

Regards

David

Yes Precision LNER Doncaster Green .

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some superb models of Thompson pacifics from everyone . Love to see other people's work & thankyou to David for allowing us to hijack his thread . I'll put some more of mine up in a little while if people still want to see them .

Regards ,

Ray .

On 22/08/2020 at 08:08, landscapes said:

Hi Richard 

I totally agree with you I am also throughly enjoying seeing other members work as well.

Surely the whole point about these threads are for members to share their work and thoughts.

Regards

David

Good evening David,

I don't want my 'role' in the development of Hornby's forthcoming Thompson Pacifics to be over-stated. 

I have assisted Horny's principal designer in the development of these models; he spent a couple of days here and we went through many, many photographs, documents, drawings and details. I also built an A2/3 model (from a DJH kit) for the team to look at and examine; I'm told that having an actual thing to handle is very important, even though CAD 'models' can be seen in every dimension on the computer screen.

Such is the diligence in Hornby's research, they should all be fine models.

I've posted pictures of my Thompson Pacifics on Wright Writes in answer to your request.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1