Haymarket 64B

landscapes

34 minutes ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Some superb models of Thompson pacifics from everyone . Love to see other people's work & thankyou to David for allowing us to hijack his thread . I'll put some more of mine up in a little while if people still want to see them .

Regards ,

Ray .

Hi Ray

I totally agree with you alway great to see other members model and  please feel free to post any of your locomotives photos.

There have been some really marvellous models shown so fast.

Having started up the Thompson A2 Class Pacific Photos interest  I am now just about to post some Peppercorn A2 photos.

Look forward you seeing your photos in due course.

Regards

David

6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening David,

I don't want my 'role' in the development of Hornby's forthcoming Thompson Pacifics to be over-stated. 

I have assisted Horny's principal designer in the development of these models; he spent a couple of days here and we went through many, many photographs, documents, drawings and details. I also built an A2/3 model (from a DJH kit) for the team to look at and examine; I'm told that having an actual thing to handle is very important, even though CAD 'models' can be seen in every dimension on the computer screen.

Such is the diligence in Hornby's research, they should all be fine models.

I've posted pictures of my Thompson Pacifics on Wright Writes in answer to your request.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony 

Thank you I have already had a quick sneak preview of the photos you have posted on your Little Bytham thread and very nice they look as well.

I am still sure that the forthcoming Thompson Pacific’s from Hornby will be all the better because of your input and knowledge of the locomotives.

Regards

David

25 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony 

Thank you I have already had a quick sneak preview of the photos you have posted on your Little Bytham thread and very nice they look as well.

I am still sure that the forthcoming Thompson Pacific’s from Hornby will be all the better because of your input and knowledge of the locomotives.

Regards

David

Thanks David,

Actually, my thread is not really just about Little Bytham (though it features, of course). It's much more general than that.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi

After all the discussions regarding Thompson's Pacific's, I thought I would post a few photos of a Peppercorn Design A2 60537 Bachelor's Button.

The loco is complete with The Flying Scotsman Headboard so the Haymarket cleaners have been hard a work.

Personally I think the locos boiler looks far to clean and need some weathering in the very near future.

Regards

David

60537_IMG_2309BB.jpg

60537_IMG_2300BB.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Photo
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

Good morning.

I am sure that Hornby will have benefited from your contribution to these models, your knowledge of the subject is catholic. I hope the take note since I have one of each (including W1) on order.

Kind regards,

Richard B

56 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Tony,

Good morning.

I am sure that Hornby will have benefited from your contribution to these models, your knowledge of the subject is catholic. I hope the take note since I have one of each (including W1) on order.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Good Morning Richard 

Should this message have gone on Tony’s Little Bytham thread?

Like you I have placed an order for A2/3 60523 Sun Castle which I will change the identity possibly to 60519 Honeyway which was the only A2/3 to be shedded at Haymarket, but it will need to be fitted with a rink double chimney.

I have also ordered A2/2 60501, and very pleased as I have just found a B&W photo of the exact locomotive standing on Haymarket MPD.

There is no date but the tender has the early totem on it and there is no AWS fitted so I would assume it’s between around 1950 and 1958 or even a little bit later.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

12 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Good morning David,

Oh dear! I guess so!

My order is for "Steady Aim" 60512. I have also ordered 60501.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard 

That was my original choice as well but I am trying to keep true to 1958/59 if possible and the A2/2 with the late totem never got to Haymarket but 60501 did.

The A2/3 is not a problem changing identity but the A2/2’s were a little bit more complicated so artistic license may be required. 

Are you modelling around  the mid fifties or just what ever period you fancy to suit your locomotives?

I am going to try some new photographic angles around the turntable later today if possible.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Additional information
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

My modelling is designed to:

1. Keep me occupied and engaged for as long as I can hold a soldering iron steady, after that I shall start painting abstract pictures! We all need projects to do!

2. Rather like you with Haymarket, I am building an example or two of every locomotive that was allocated (or, at a push, visited 70D) to Basingstoke (70A) in BR times. This allows SR and WR with some interlopers from LM and ER.

3. Therefore what I build covers the whole BR period and when the shed is re-built and track restored, allow me to create whatever period I chose.

4. I have no justification for building LNER/ER Pacifics or the ex GCR B9 that is on the to do list. Only the pleasure of building them.

We railway modellers are a tiny bit obsessive that is not to say slightly insane.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Like 3

12 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi

After all the discussions regarding Thompson's Pacific's, I thought I would post a few photos of a Peppercorn Design A2 60537 Bachelor's Button.

The loco is complete with The Flying Scotsman Headboard so the Haymarket cleaners have been hard a work.

Personally I think the locos boiler looks far to clean and need some weathering in the very near future.

Regards

David

60537_IMG_2309BB.jpg

60537_IMG_2300BB.jpg

It looks very natural David,

However, I'm sure you'll find that when 60537 received the second BR tender device (especially with the correct-facing lion on this side) that its front numberplate would have been fixed to the top hingestrap. This was done from 1954/'55 onward on the Thompson and Peppercorn Pacifics.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

My modelling is designed to:

1. Keep me occupied and engaged for as long as I can hold a soldering iron steady, after that I shall start painting abstract pictures! We all need projects to do!

2. Rather like you with Haymarket, I am building an example or two of every locomotive that was allocated (or, at a push, visited 70D) to Basingstoke (70A) in BR times. This allows SR and WR with some interlopers from LM and ER.

3. Therefore what I build covers the whole BR period and when the shed is re-built and track restored, allow me to create whatever period I chose.

4. I have no justification for building LNER/ER Pacifics or the ex GCR B9 that is on the to do list. Only the pleasure of building them.

We railway modellers are a tiny bit obsessive that is not to say slightly insane.

Kind regards,

Richard

That’s a thought just imagine a gleaming A2/3 sitting on Basingstoke MPD what a sight that would have been.

There were a few specials hauled by LNER Pacific’s in the 1960’s that went past Basingstoke and I believe Flying Scotsman as 4472 did visit the depot.

I never go to go round Basingstoke in my trainspotting days but went past it many times during the 1960’s going to Eastleigh MPD.

Great day’s weren’t they.

Regards.

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi

Yesterday I tried looking at different angles around the turntable area and this was the first result.

I also enclose another view of A2 60537 Bachelor's Button, I think this side on view shows up the best of Mr Peppercorns design of his interpretation of the A2 Class.

Regards

David

60537_IMG_2322B_edited-1.jpg

60537_IMG_2320B_edited-1.jpg

• Like 9

On 25/08/2020 at 07:19, landscapes said:

Good Morning Richard 

Should this message have gone on Tony’s Little Bytham thread?

Like you I have placed an order for A2/3 60523 Sun Castle which I will change the identity possibly to 60519 Honeyway which was the only A2/3 to be shedded at Haymarket, but it will need to be fitted with a rink double chimney.

I have also ordered A2/2 60501, and very pleased as I have just found a B&W photo of the exact locomotive standing on Haymarket MPD.

There is no date but the tender has the early totem on it and there is no AWS fitted so I would assume it’s between around 1950 and 1958 or even a little bit later.

Regards

David

Hi David ,

Hope this helps . No. 60501 received the later B.R. emblem & A.W.S at a general repair out from Doncaster 23/10/58 . However she already had the lipped chimney , lowered lamp iron & front number plate before this date . Other things to note are the boiler handrails cut short on the smokebox & the shape of the ejector pipe ( the devil is definitely in the detail with class A.2/2 )

There is a good photo in T.I NO. 46.The Thompson Pacifics taken 01/8/58 which shows these details well . Only a week later ( aged 6 ) I was hauled by this engine from York to Newcastle with my family . Luckily my father took an interest & noted engines we were hauled by in his diary where possible !

Regards ,

Ray .

• Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

David if you're looking for stock, send me your email and I'll send you mystic list - I have over 150 locos, including lots of 'A's and need to thin out - many have only been round the circuit once so aren't even run in!

ATB

peter

Hi Peter

Thank you for your kind offer but I have three locomotives on Order that I will need to pay for, an A2/2, A2/3 and the Bachmann Caledonian model due out later this year.

I have also got quite a bit of expenditure on wiring and point motors for the layout so funds will restricted for the time being.

You should make quite a good profit putting them on EBay the prices even for secondhand Pacific’s is very high at the moment.

But thank you for asking.

Regards

David

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Hi David ,

Hope this helps . No. 60501 received the later B.R. emblem & A.W.S at a general repair out from Doncaster 23/10/58 . However she already had the lipped chimney , lowered lamp iron & front number plate before this date . Other things to note are the boiler handrails cut short on the smokebox & the shape of the ejector pipe ( the devil is definitely in the detail with class A.2/2 )

There is a good photo in T.I NO. 46.The Thompson Pacifics taken 01/8/58 which shows these details well . Only a week later ( aged 6 ) I was hauled by this engine from York to Newcastle with my family . Luckily my father took an interest & noted engines we were hauled by in his diary where possible !

Regards ,

Ray .

Thanks Ray

I know the A2/2’a are a bit of a minefield when it comes to trying to stick to a specific time such as 1958/59.

But I do have a photo of 60501 undated on Haymarket MPD exactas Hornby’s version.

Rimless chimney, no AWS fitted, Early crest on tender and Smokebox number fitted above the handrail.

So that will have to be sufficient for the layout, it’s as close as I can get without altering the model and possibly falling into making an error.

The only problem I do see is the steam pipe running along the boiler just below the handrail on the left hand side from the drivers view was unique and had a kink in it just above the back end of the nameplate.

60501 was the only member of the class to have this and it’s not shown on Hornby’s prototype model on their website.

But they made change it on the production models.

Thanks for the information.

Regards

David

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi

Glad to see RMWeb back on line.

Todays photo may be a first for me as far as I know, my first Diesel photo on this thread.

I will have to fast forward for this one time to late 1962 or early 1963 and Deltic Class D9003 Meld is passing Haymarket MPD in it's last days of steam.

This and prototype Deltic DP1are the only Diesels I have.

Regards

David

D9003_IMG_2415B.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Shame! Oh woe is me!!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

Can I assume you do not like diesels?

I can remember booing the Deltic's when they came through Finsbury Park Station back in late 1962.

I quite like them now, but not nearly as much as the LNER Pacific's.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Not at all, just a bit of fun.

The Deltic's were special in many ways - highest single unit power output (at the time), two two stoke engines derived from marine engines and they continued the LNER tradition of using race horse names and the sound was something else!

During my railway career I worked on the commisioning of all the HST sets which involved a trial run from Derby C&W to, initially Newcastle, and then Alnmouth so up the ECML from Doncaster. I was proud to be part of that project although I played a minor part in it.

So time moves on and things change that doesn't stop a bit of nostalgia does it David?

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Not at all, just a bit of fun.

The Deltic's were special in many ways - highest single unit power output (at the time), two two stoke engines derived from marine engines and they continued the LNER tradition of using race horse names and the sound was something else!

During my railway career I worked on the commisioning of all the HST sets which involved a trial run from Derby C&W to, initially Newcastle, and then Alnmouth so up the ECML from Doncaster. I was proud to be part of that project although I played a minor part in it.

So time moves on and things change that doesn't stop a bit of nostalgia does it David?

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

You obviously know what you are talking about.

I didn’t take much notice of the Deltic's in my trainspotting days back in the early 1960’s.

I did start photographing them at Kings Cross Station in the late 1979’s but unfortunately lost all the photos and negatives some times ago.

You are spot on about time moving on and nostalgia we will probably be looking back at today’s locomotives with affection in years to come.

But nothing will ever take the place of steam locomotives for me Especially the LNER Pacific’s.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, landscapes said:

You are spot on about time moving on and nostalgia we will probably be looking back at today’s locomotives with affection in years to come.

But nothing will ever take the place of steam locomotives for me Especially the LNER Pacific’s.

David,

You express my sentiment precisely.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1

On 26/08/2020 at 16:32, landscapes said:

Thanks Ray

I know the A2/2’a are a bit of a minefield when it comes to trying to stick to a specific time such as 1958/59.

But I do have a photo of 60501 undated on Haymarket MPD exactas Hornby’s version.

Rimless chimney, no AWS fitted, Early crest on tender and Smokebox number fitted above the handrail.

So that will have to be sufficient for the layout, it’s as close as I can get without altering the model and possibly falling into making an error.

The only problem I do see is the steam pipe running along the boiler just below the handrail on the left hand side from the drivers view was unique and had a kink in it just above the back end of the nameplate.

60501 was the only member of the class to have this and it’s not shown on Hornby’s prototype model on their website.

But they made change it on the production models.

Thanks for the information.

Regards

David

Hi David ,

The kinked ejector pipe ( the steam pipe along the boiler you mention ) was already fitted to no. 60501 by 1950 so Hornby should really get this right . Another variation is that 60501 had no backing plates to the sandbox filler's during the 1950's unlike the others . I've set my layout in the period 1957-1968 to allow me to model engine's as I remember them best & give some latitude ( Jubilee's with yellow cab side stripes alongside A.2/2's for example) 

Anyway , some more "Big Thommo's" to look at  .

Best Wishes ,

Ray .  

P1010158a.jpg

P1010361a.jpg

SAM_0182a.jpg

• Like 3