Haymarket 64B

landscapes

18 minutes ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Hi David ,

The kinked ejector pipe ( the steam pipe along the boiler you mention ) was already fitted to no. 60501 by 1950 so Hornby should really get this right . Another variation is that 60501 had no backing plates to the sandbox filler's during the 1950's unlike the others . I've set my layout in the period 1957-1968 to allow me to model engine's as I remember them best & give some latitude ( Jubilee's with yellow cab side stripes alongside A.2/2's for example) 

Anyway , some more "Big Thommo's" to look at  .

Best Wishes ,

Ray .  

P1010158a.jpg

P1010361a.jpg

SAM_0182a.jpg

Hi Ray

Some very nice Thompson Pacific’s, do you have your own thread on RMWeb?

If you do please tell me where it is, if not please feel free to post more photos of your layout and locomotives  here anytime.

Thanks for posting them, always nice to see other members models.

Regards

David

Hi

Now back to Haymarket and its locomotives.

Today's photos show two visiting Pacific locomotives standing in the Easy Yard awaiting passage to Waverley Station to return home.

Regards

David

60028_IMG_2479BB.jpg

60028_IMG_2490BB.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Photo
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Just getting away from Haymarket for a moment, on Sunday just gone My Wife and I had a rare day out during these unsettled times and had lunch at a railway related location.

Any guesses where?

Regards

David

IMG_6466.jpg

IMG_6479.jpg

IMG_6481.jpg

Looks like Bath Green Park

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Bell said:

It is a beautiful structure. I remember a few years ago they parked a SDJR 2-8-0 under the roof.

If you took a picture from a low angle you could almost turn the clock back!

Hi David

Yes it is a very impressive building and so much still intact.

there is even the two wooden platforms in situ but not sure if they are the original floor boards 

Regards

David

Hi

As Ray kindly posted some photo of his exquisite Thompson Pacific's a few days ago I thought I would rekindle the Thompson theme.

Two Thompson Pacific's side by side on shed, one a home based locomotive and a visitor from the North East.

Regards

David

60510_IMG_2506B.jpg

• Like 9

On 31/08/2020 at 17:25, landscapes said:

Hi Ray

Some very nice Thompson Pacific’s, do you have your own thread on RMWeb?

If you do please tell me where it is, if not please feel free to post more photos of your layout and locomotives  here anytime.

Thanks for posting them, always nice to see other members models.

Regards

David

No , I don't have my own thread , David . The layout has been complete for several years & is in need of some remedial work , Also I don't feel I have enough time to spend on the web ( so many engines to build & so little time to do it in!!) I feel I am very much an average modeller & appreciate your kind comments & generous offer . I will continue to post the odd picture where it fits in with a topic being discussed but don't wish to take over your thread & look forward to work restarting soon on your rendition of 64B .

Best Wishes ,

Ray .

• Friendly/supportive 1

Good Evening

My latest offering was a controversial class of locomotives as far as Haymarket MPD was concerned.

The BR Clan Class, four locomotives were temporarily transferred there in 1958 and again in 1959 and by 1960 they were all all gone.

According to Harry Knox's first book on the depot they were disliked by the Haymarket crews.

This is No 72005 Clan Macgregor one of four of the class to be transferred, I have just finished weathering this model, it has had an LMS lamp fitted and real coal added to the tender plus a new three link screw coupling apart from that its all Hornby.

It wasn't easy finding a prototype colour photo of a class member in a reasonably clean state.

Regards

David

72005_IMG_2540B.jpg

• Like 13

I seem to recall that the East coast sheds and crews hated them, but the West Coast mob, e.g. Carlisle thought they were brilliant!

But then if you're used to the vagaries of firing Stonier designs versus the free steamers of Gresley and Peppercirn you would say that wouldn't you! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, David Bell said:

I must say I look forward to your posts. It is like having a shedbash in your living room! Keep up the good work.

Cheers

David

Hi David

Thank you for your kind comments, the layout is actually in a spare bedroom.

Thats the main reason I have only so far constructed 4 of the 9 baseboards.

The whole layout has been plotted in Templot but I need a house move to complete the entire layout which in feet measures 19’-0” x 4’-0”, and that’s no joke we are proposing to move home within the next three to four years and part of our requirements is a model railway room.

Thanks again for your reply , more photos to follow soon.

Regards

David 

• Like 2

Hello David ,

I see you have been asking on Tony's thread about the Thompson class K.1/1 . Most of the differences are quite  minor such as the position of the lubricators & the sandbox fillers on the footplate . More awkward would be the curved front footplate & the different slide bar arrangement . The real stumbling block to using the Hornby model would be the tender as the 3,500 gall tender fitted to no. 61997 is noticeably smaller than the 4,200 gall tender . I'm not sure how you would get round this !

To show the differences I enclose a couple of shots of my attempt, using a Nu-Cast loco. with a Dave Alexander tender .

All the best ,

Ray .

P1010456a.jpg

P1010457a.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Hello David ,

I see you have been asking on Tony's thread about the Thompson class K.1/1 . Most of the differences are quite  minor such as the position of the lubricators & the sandbox fillers on the footplate . More awkward would be the curved front footplate & the different slide bar arrangement . The real stumbling block to using the Hornby model would be the tender as the 3,500 gall tender fitted to no. 61997 is noticeably smaller than the 4,200 gall tender . I'm not sure how you would get round this !

To show the differences I enclose a couple of shots of my attempt, using a Nu-Cast loco. with a Dave Alexander tender .

All the best ,

Ray .

P1010456a.jpg

P1010457a.jpg

Hi Ray

Thanks for posting the photos your K1/1 is a stunning looking model.

I did consider trying to adapt a Hornby K1 to a K1/1, Tony was kind enough to point out the main differences.

To be honest the tender would not have been a problem as I could purchase the correct tender in kit form but the curved down would slope at the front of the footplate would be an issue.

So I have put the idea on hold and hope that either a K1/1 or even better a K4 may one day be available RTR.

Regards

David

• Like 2

2 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Ray

Thanks for posting the photos your K1/1 is a stunning looking model.

I did consider trying to adapt a Hornby K1 to a K1/1, Tony was kind enough to point out the main differences.

To be honest the tender would not have been a problem as I could purchase the correct tender in kit form but the curved down would slope at the front of the footplate would be an issue.

So I have put the idea on hold and hope that either a K1/1 or even better a K4 may one day be available RTR.

Regards

David

Good evening David,

'Tony was kind enough to point out the main differences.'

I didn't get all the main differences right, as Andrew (Headstock) quite rightly pointed out. 

'but the curved down would slope at the front of the footplate would be an issue.'

I must admit I haven't done any measuring, but what about a scrap Bachmann B1 body? Glancing at pictures, the angle/depth of the curved drop-down is pretty similar (though, no doubt, the purists will be annoyed). If it's suitable, why not try and meld the two together? The B1 might 'tuck-in' a bit more at the front, but the curve and the steps on it are there. 

If it helps, I have a scrap Bachmann B1 here (just the loco). It's not damaged, but it's got the horrid split chassis. You're welcome to it. Just PM me your address, please (I might have it, but it'll take some finding). I'll send it to you and just make a modest donation to your chosen charity if you're happy, please. 

You mentioned a K4. I know Dave Alexander did one, though I don't know if the kit is now available.

940493841_repairedK403.jpg.006c6920b4c2771e927ce3fef7e4272f.jpg

Here's mine, which I scratch-built in 1983. It featured on my thread of late, and I've not long ago repaired/patch re-painted it after some chums dropped it on the floor, over a decade ago. 

I think they're a very attractive prototype. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening David,

'Tony was kind enough to point out the main differences.'

I didn't get all the main differences right, as Andrew (Headstock) quite rightly pointed out. 

'but the curved down would slope at the front of the footplate would be an issue.'

I must admit I haven't done any measuring, but what about a scrap Bachmann B1 body? Glancing at pictures, the angle/depth of the curved drop-down is pretty similar (though, no doubt, the purists will be annoyed). If it's suitable, why not try and meld the two together? The B1 might 'tuck-in' a bit more at the front, but the curve and the steps on it are there. 

If it helps, I have a scrap Bachmann B1 here (just the loco). It's not damaged, but it's got the horrid split chassis. You're welcome to it. Just PM me your address, please (I might have it, but it'll take some finding). I'll send it to you and just make a modest donation to your chosen charity if you're happy, please. 

You mentioned a K4. I know Dave Alexander did one, though I don't know if the kit is now available.

940493841_repairedK403.jpg.006c6920b4c2771e927ce3fef7e4272f.jpg

Here's mine, which I scratch-built in 1983. It featured on my thread of late, and I've not long ago repaired/patch re-painted it after some chums dropped it on the floor, over a decade ago. 

I think they're a very attractive prototype. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

That is a vey kind offer from yourself.

But your idea has given me something to think about and possibly the solution to still convert my Hornby K1.

I do have an old replica Railway B1 model in my loft I purchased many years ago and it’s been up there for at least six years.

I will find it and measure the boiler dia compared to the K1.

I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Again thank you for your offer and your idea on using the B1 body.

Its about time I found a use for it, this may be the reason I have been looking for.

Best Regards

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi

Following on from yesterday with Tony's very kind offer and idea I ventured into the loft to find my old Replica Railway's B1.

At the same time I found an old photograph album which includes a photo I took some time ago on the Severn Valley Railway of preserved K4 61994 The Great Marquess when it was in BR Black lined livery.

Ironically it was photographed on their turntable at Kidderminster Station and the turntable once belonged to Fort William MPD which made it a little bit more authentic.

My original photo was a Cibachrome print from a Medium Format Slide which in turn I have scanned onto my computer.

Copy below it could have done with some weathering.

Regards

David 

61994-1.jpg

• Like 10

On 16/09/2020 at 22:54, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

That is a vey kind offer from yourself.

But your idea has given me something to think about and possibly the solution to still convert my Hornby K1.

I do have an old replica Railway B1 model in my loft I purchased many years ago and it’s been up there for at least six years.

I will find it and measure the boiler dia compared to the K1.

I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Again thank you for your offer and your idea on using the B1 body.

Its about time I found a use for it, this may be the reason I have been looking for.

Best Regards

David

I wouldn't use the B.1 body myself as it has a much higher running plate & the front lower section is somewhat shorter than the K.1/1( sorry , Tony .)

If you are happy to build the tender yourself then you'll be interested to know that the front curve down on my 61997 was made from thick card curved to shape & glued on , with a sheet of thin brass glued on top to give the sharp edge . High tec. or what ! I've had no problems with this & it is over 20 years old .

What you could do with the B.1 is to transfer the slide bars as a cosmetic fitting  to give the right appearance to the  K.1/1 .

If you do go ahead with this please put photos of the completed model up here as I would love to see it .

Cheers ,

Ray .

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ray Flintoft said:

I wouldn't use the B.1 body myself as it has a much higher running plate & the front lower section is somewhat shorter than the K.1/1( sorry , Tony .)

If you are happy to build the tender yourself then you'll be interested to know that the front curve down on my 61997 was made from thick card curved to shape & glued on , with a sheet of thin brass glued on top to give the sharp edge . High tec. or what ! I've had no problems with this & it is over 20 years old .

What you could do with the B.1 is to transfer the slide bars as a cosmetic fitting  to give the right appearance to the  K.1/1 .

If you do go ahead with this please put photos of the completed model up here as I would love to see it .

Cheers ,

Ray .

Hi Ray

Following Tony's suggestion I did get my old Replica Railways B1 out and compered it with the new Hornby K1.

I must admit I came to the same conclusion that the work involved would be way beyond my skills and there would still be differences from the finished model to an actual K1/1 which again in fairness Tony did mention.

The Horny K1 is a superb model and my fear is I will end up spoiling a perfectly good model locomotive to achieve a model that would not be entirely accurate.

Disappointed, Yes but will re think the project and to be honest I would prefer a K4 to the K1/1.

Thank you for posting the information Ray.

Regards

David

• Like 2

On 18/09/2020 at 18:46, landscapes said:

Hi Ray

Following Tony's suggestion I did get my old Replica Railways B1 out and compered it with the new Hornby K1.

I must admit I came to the same conclusion that the work involved would be way beyond my skills and there would still be differences from the finished model to an actual K1/1 which again in fairness Tony did mention.

The Horny K1 is a superb model and my fear is I will end up spoiling a perfectly good model locomotive to achieve a model that would not be entirely accurate.

Disappointed, Yes but will re think the project and to be honest I would prefer a K4 to the K1/1.

Thank you for posting the information Ray.

Regards

David

I understand completely , David , the Hornby ( is it horny !!!)K.1 is a superb model & I wouldn't like to spoil it either . You could renumber it as a Fort William based engine & have it appear occasionally on 64B in transit to or from Doncaster works .

As Tony says Dave Alexander made a very nice kit of the K.4 ( I have one on my to do list for next year ) which you may find second hand but I wouldn't recommend it for a first kit build .

Regards ,

Ray .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ray Flintoft said:

I understand completely , David , the Hornby ( is it horny !!!)K.1 is a superb model & I wouldn't like to spoil it either . You could renumber it as a Fort William based engine & have it appear occasionally on 64B in transit to or from Doncaster works .

As Tony says Dave Alexander made a very nice kit of the K.4 ( I have one on my to do list for next year ) which you may find second hand but I wouldn't recommend it for a first kit build .

Regards ,

Ray .

Hi Ray 

many thanks, but I know my limitations and kit building is it one of them.

Also I do have the Caley locomotive from Rail of Sheffield on order and an A2/2 with Hattons and I will probably order an A2/3 as well so funds will be needed for them.

Good luck with your K4 kit and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Regards

David