Haymarket 64B

landscapes

9 hours ago, micklner said:

Tony

I dont need to be careful about anything ,the PDK version I built was poor in the extreme from the beginning of the build . I was refering to the PDK version I built, I hadnt even looked at your Crownline version shown on here. It was designed by P Hill ,so it has links to the Crownline version, no idea how close they both are.

Nothing was stated is relating to anyones else's models . Dont suppose before you type in bold please, a totally unecessary reaction.

PDK

The main problem was the over width one piece chassis etch , when folded up and soldered together ,following the instructions the built in spacers were far too wide , as a result the bearings had to be filed to nothing before any side play existed at all. Hence it would not go around any curves. The only solution would have been a totally rebuilt chassis. The valve gear was poorly designed and etched, the cab had rivets as found on a A2/3 layout. Resin Boiler poorly made. Poor quality whitemetal castings as well. Luckily Graemes version then arrived ,and it was sold and its not missed.

Relating to the comments on my Hornby based builds.

Both Locos  are based on the same NRM Flying Scotsman bodies and chassis . The washout plugs are correct, dome postions are identical on both ,as made by Hornby , as are the Bogies postions , perhaps the camera angle is creating your percieved problems . 4470 is in GER Royal Blue . The LNER on Tender of the Apple Green version is out by 2mm in width or less. The slidebar is up by perhaps 1mm or less, limitations of having to reuse parts of the Hornby valvegear.

Compared to the PDK version I see nothing better (see below). The Tender was also poorly designed, with large cut out areas in the internal support frame for the sides, as a result it was impossible to avoid large curves/sagging along the body due to the thin Brass etches supplied when soldered.

A better rendition of the Hornby Blue GN version in the first photo below.

The PDK version on the left below in the second picture below, yes it is also Blue , the colour doesnt show well under artificial light . That also has a slight lift on that slidebar as well.

When compared to the Hornby version it looks too low,as does the Loco, it simply doesnt have the prescence of the Hornby version.

post-7186-0-47762500-1367867013.jpgpost-7186-0-03370600-1367867026.jpg

Good morning Mick,

My use of bold was to emphasise a quote (something I always do), but inverted commas are probably the only necessity.

Anyway, I'm not cluttering up David's excellent thread with further comments.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

It looks as if our models of Mr Thompson's A1/1 are just as controversial as the prototype!

I think it is good that we have (or had, I can't recall if PDK still make the A1/1 kit) two routes to reproducing a 4mm version of this prototype. My experience with the Crownline model does not echo Mick's comments except in regard to the resin boiler. I have not used G King's components to modify a Hornby A3 so can't comment.

Whats more important is that we encourage each other and in particular, modeller's thinking about building their first loco kit with positive constructive advice. In my view, all kits have their limitations and difficulties that we have to overcome to make our best shot at a model of our chosen prototype.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, 30368 said:

It looks as if our models of Mr Thompson's A1/1 are just as controversial as the prototype!

I think it is good that we have (or had, I can't recall if PDK still make the A1/1 kit) two routes to reproducing a 4mm version of this prototype. My experience with the Crownline model does not echo Mick's comments except in regard to the resin boiler. I have not used G King's components to modify a Hornby A3 so can't comment.

Whats more important is that we encourage each other and in particular, modeller's thinking about building their first loco kit with positive constructive advice. In my view, all kits have their limitations and difficulties that we have to overcome to make our best shot at a model of our chosen prototype.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard 

well said, I do like all of Thompson’s Pacific’s, my only regrets are I never saw the real locomotive and I cannot justify a model version as I doubt if it ever got to Haymarket MPD in the lat 1950’s.

A similar situation with the Hornby W1 69700.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Mick,

My use of bold was to emphasise a quote (something I always do), but inverted commas are probably the only necessity.

Anyway, I'm not cluttering up David's excellent thread with further comments.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

I am not that familiar with the details on Thompson’s A1/1 Pacific but what I do know is that both  Mick and your good self are both excellent model makers and I now add Richard to that list as well.

The proof is all those photos just recently put on this thread showing all those superb models and not a single RTR between you all.

I would love to have yo skills You all have to build any of those kits but soldering up trackwork is about my limitations.

Regards

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, 30368 said:

Kind regards,

Richard B

Just to make it clear, the kit I built was the PDK version , at the time of PDK releasing this A1/1 it was stated a redesign by them .

I have never seen a Crownline version, so I will not comment on its quality good or bad or in between !!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, micklner said:

Just to make it clear, the kit I built was the PDK version , at the time of PDK releasing this A1/1 it was stated a redesign by them .

I have never seen a Crownline version, so I will not comment on its quality good or bad or in between !!!

Hi

A quick update.

Some good progress was made this evening, Gareth of Replica Railways kindly visit my house and helped with the turnout point wiring and managed to wire up seven points that is half of all the points on the layout in Phase One if Haymarket 64B.

hopefully the other seven will be completed next week along with other pieces of trackwork.

Every individual section of track is to be Individually  wired and there are 72 pieces in total for the first phase. 

There are also building and yard LED lights to wired plus point motors. 

Regards 

David

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening

My latest update, 60% of all track-work including all the turnout points are all wired up with dropper wires now hanging below the baseboards waiting to be soldered to the BusBars.

I have also weathered some of the track-work using a combination of Railmatch weathering sprays, Sleeper Grime and Roof Dirt very impressed with the outcome.

My next task is to complete and lay the remaining tracks, solder on all wiring then stick all track-work down to the baseboards.

Also the main shed lighting is up and working but the shed trackwork is still to be completed.

Photo enclosed.

Regards

David

IMG_2684.jpg

Edited by landscapes
spelling
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

4 hours ago, landscapes said:

Good Evening

My latest update, 60% of all track-work including all the turnout points are all wired up with dropper wires now hanging below the baseboards waiting to be soldered to the BusBars.

I have also weathered some of the track-work using a combination of Railmatch weathering sprays, Sleeper Grime and Roof Dirt very impressed with the outcome.

My next task is to complete and lay the remaining tracks, solder on all wiring then stick all track-work down to the baseboards.

Also the main shed lighting is up and working but the shed trackwork is still to be completed.

Photo enclosed.

Regards

David

IMG_2684.jpg

Very atmospheric shot there David, sounds like you are getting on well with the wiring now. You must be looking forward to running some trains soon. 

Pete

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, PeteN92 said:

Very atmospheric shot there David, sounds like you are getting on well with the wiring now. You must be looking forward to running some trains soon. 

Pete

Hi Pete 

Thank you still lots to do before any locomotives start running but yes looking forward to that day very much.

Slight setback this evening as the shed lights for some reason have decided to stop working, have to sort that out.

Regards

David

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Welcome back!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard 

Thank you but it was a one off photo just to assess the progress on how the weathering was looking on the shed building and the trackwork.

Hoping to have most of the work to phase one of the layout completed by spring 2021

Regards

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

Looking good David!

Thank you Peter, its a long slog at the moment, soldering, weathering and sticking down track-work to the baseboards.

When thats done there the fitting of point-motors, and soldering all droppers to the busbars.

Then electrical connections to connect each baseboard to one another, LED lighting to the remaining buildings and so on and so on.

What started out building an engine shed has turned into a monster, but an enjoyable one

Regards

David

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Thank you Peter, its a long slog at the moment, soldering, weathering and sticking down track-work to the baseboards.

When thats done there the fitting of point-motors, and soldering all droppers to the busbars.

Then electrical connections to connect each baseboard to one another, LED lighting to the remaining buildings and so on and so on.

What started out building an engine shed has turned into a monster, but an enjoyable one

Regards

David

Glad to hear you are still progressing with the layout , David . I know that trackwork , wiring & ballasting can get a little ! bit boring & never ending but I'm sure that when you get there you'll have every reason to be proud of the final result .And you are still enjoying it at a time when we all need something to take our minds off the ongoing situation .

Best Wishes ,

Ray .

1 hour ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Glad to hear you are still progressing with the layout , David . I know that trackwork , wiring & ballasting can get a little ! bit boring & never ending but I'm sure that when you get there you'll have every reason to be proud of the final result .And you are still enjoying it at a time when we all need something to take our minds off the ongoing situation .

Best Wishes ,

Ray .

Than you Ray

I forgot all about the ballasting, but yes I am thoroughly  enjoying all the work involved.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Spelling

On 22/11/2020 at 17:56, landscapes said:

Good Evening

It's been quite a while since my last update.

Still lots to do on the layout, but nearly all the track work is now wired with droppers in place and 80% of the track work has now had a first coat of weathering so has some of the main building as well, it does look a lot dirty now as an MPD should look.

Next task is to solder all wires to the busbars and fit the point motors.

I have have put a few of the building back on to take a prototype photo just to see how things are looking and I must admit I am quite pleased with the progress so far.

One photo enclosed before I remove the building from the layout.

Regards

David

60098_IMG_2696B.jpg

Very impressive!

Regards,

Tony. 

Funnily enough I suppose I enjoy the whole track laying part more than any other bit. The electrics are a bit of a mind twister, but my father taught me how to wire stuff up and he was I/C S&T for Monty in the post D-Day roll out across Europe.

He taught me that if ever you have an electrical problem the first thing to do is 'check your ends'. Sure enough 95% of problems come down to bad connections!

Edited by bigwordsmith
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

Funnily enough I suppose I enjoy the whole track laying part more than any other bit. The electrics are a bit of a mind twister, but my father taught me how to wire stuff up and he was I/C S&T for Monty in the post D-Day roll out across Europe.

He taught me that if ever you have an electrical problem the first thing to do is 'check your ends'. Sure enough 95% of problems come down to bad connections!

Hi Peter 

I totally agree, I do not have a problem with the track laying or soldering.

but the different electrical circuits and the connections to the main bus bar and eventually a main control

panel is a bit like brain surgery to me.

Thank god Gareth of Replica Railways is on hand to help and advise me.

Regards

David

1 hour ago, millerhillboy said:

That's a superb picture, really is. I can't wait to see how the same view looks once you get some ground in place and clutter. Will look incredible.

Track is weathered beautifully I have to say as well.

Thank you

David

Hi

Only four sections of track-work now to solder and all rails have now been weathered.

I could not resist one last view across the shed yard before I get into levelling and glueing all the track-work to the baseboards.

A Bachmann/Graeme King conversion A2/3 60521 Watling Street.

Regards

David

60521_IMG_2710B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Photography issue
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1