Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Good Evening

My latest update since 25th November.

Quite a bit of progress has been achieved to date.

All track-work is now wired up and I am waiting to solder droppers to busbars,

All track-work has been weathered, with a first coat I may add additional as required,

60% of all track-work has now been stuck down to the baseboards, and levels checked over baseboard joints,

All inspection pits have now been formed and I am now working on the second layer of 1.5mm thick cork to the main shed floor and east yard to bring the floor level up to the rail top level.

The inspection pit work was a very tidiest task having to cut out about 700 sleepers that span the inspection pit area's and then re glue each sleeper to reinforce rail and chair joints.

Also main shed building has also been weathered along with other smaller buildings.

Photo of East Yard work to date enclosed, I think it will look a lot better when locomotives are standing outside the shed building.

Also one water crane has been positioned for reference purposes only.

Regards

David 

IMG_2721.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Information
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

9 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

All looking really good David, an inspiration to us all.

in seasonal more, may I reciprocate by your seasonal greetings?

ATC&NYB

peter

Hi Peter

Thank you Merry Christmas to you and stay safe 

Regards 

David

Hi

I'm at a bit of a standstill just at the moment with the layout due to a few reasons beyond my control but it's only temporary, so I thought I would try a bit more model railway photography.

Hornby A4 60011 Empire of India a Haymarket A4 that was used regularly on the Elizabethan and other top link turns rumbles on the turntable.

This was a member of the A4 class I never got to see in my trainspotting days

I think that the additional weathering all round gives a bit more atmosphere to the layout and improves the photos as well.

Regards

David

60011_IMG_2812B.jpg

• Like 13

great picture, great colours particularly with the track and building weathering.

60011 is an interesting one as I think I've seen her with black, red and blue plates all whilst in late crest BR green. I did an N gauge version of the loco and opted for the blue plates. I say think as pictures from that era I guess can be difficult to interpret.

Edited by millerhillboy

1 hour ago, millerhillboy said:

great picture, great colours particularly with the track and building weathering.

60011 is an interesting one as I think I've seen her with black, red and blue plates all whilst in late crest BR green. I did an N gauge version of the loco and opted for the blue plates. I say think as pictures from that era I guess can be difficult to interpret.

Hi millerhillboy

Thank you for your kind comments.

Most of the colour photos I have of 60011 are with black background nameplates, but I do have one colour photo of her in almost the same location as my photo above fitted with Red nameplate background, I have no dates for the photos but in all the photos she has AWS fitted a double chimney and late crest on the tender so maybe 1958-1961.

I have seen a colour photo of 60011 at Leeds Holbeck MPD taken in 1962 with the light blue background.

Regards

David

4 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

David I love your fishplates - I have to admit I've forgotten which track you are using, but low down and close up it's damned impressive!

May I take this chance to wish you all the very best for Christmas and the New Year 

Thank you Peter, the same best wishes to You and your family as well.

The Fishplates are from BrassMasters, very good but a nightmare to find when you drop one on the carpet.

The trackwork I used throughout the layout was mainly C&L Finescale which I built myself and Norman Saunders built the point work for me but some of the unseen tracks in the main shed are the Peco Finescale bullhead trackwork all code 75.

Regards

David

Hi

its with great sadness I have just been informed that Norman Saunders of “Just Tracks” sadly passed away last Friday.

This information is for anyone else who knew him, I have also put a mention on Tony Wright’s Little Bytham tread as Tony has such vast following in the model railways world.

My sincere condolences go out to all his family.

Regards

David

• Friendly/supportive 2

30 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

its with great sadness I have just been informed that Norman Saunders of “Just Tracks” sadly passed away last Friday.

This information is for anyone else who knew him, I have also put a mention on Tony Wright’s Little Bytham tread as Tony has such vast following in the model railways world.

My sincere condolences go out to all his family.

Regards

David

Thanks David,

Though the news is very sad. I've responded to your post on Wright writes.

May I also add my most-sincere condolences to Norman's family as well, please?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

Hi

The main shed interior for Haymarket is now completed, with all trackwork laid and inspection pits now fully formed also the interior lighting is all up and working.

I have issued many photos of the main shed exterior so I thought I would now take the oppertunity to show the interior, photo enclosed.

This may be the reason why Gresley A3 60101 Cicero was so rare south it seems to spend a lot of time in the shed building.

Regards

David

60101_IMG_2854B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional text
  • Like 12

14 minutes ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Brilliant work as always David, may I ask where did you get those lights please? They look spot on for my shed layout!

Ta muchly,

Dylan.

Hi Dylan

Thank you.

The lighting is the only part of the shed building I did not make.

Gareth of Replica Railways made and installed them for me, but I will contact him for you and find out where he got them from.

I know they were very small LED lights and he manufactured the light lamp shades from thin brass sheeting working from a prototype shed interior photo I supplied.

Regards

David

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi

My last photo tonight may be a glimpse of what might be expected from Hornby next year when their eagerly awaited A2/3 goes on general sale.

This one is a Graeme King/Bachmann conversion.

Regards

David

60521_IMG_2881B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Spelling
  • Like 12

Hi

Todays photo is a typical Haymarket line up of Pacific Locomotives outside the eastern end of the main shed building a common sight in the late 1950's.

There is still lots of weathering to do to the yard area's such as ash, cinders and coal to be spread around the yard floor but I do think the weathered rails improve the photography considerably.

Regards

David

60521_IMG_2889B.jpg

• Like 13

Hi David ,

Just a quick message to wish you & your other followers a Happy Christmas& hopefully a much better new year .The layout is coming on nicely now & I look forward to seeing more progress as time passes .

Having refurbished two old Hornby engines (shown on "Wright Writes " recently ) I am now building a DJH kit for an engine more suited to your layout than mine in the shape of Peppercorn A.2 no. 60530 "Sayajirao". When complete I'll pop a photo on here for you to see . .

Best Wishes ,

Ray .

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Hi David ,

Just a quick message to wish you & your other followers a Happy Christmas& hopefully a much better new year .The layout is coming on nicely now & I look forward to seeing more progress as time passes .

Having refurbished two old Hornby engines (shown on "Wright Writes " recently ) I am now building a DJH kit for an engine more suited to your layout than mine in the shape of Peppercorn A.2 no. 60530 "Sayajirao". When complete I'll pop a photo on here for you to see . .

Best Wishes ,

Ray .

Hi Ray

Thank you and a very Merry Christmas and a Healthy and Safe 2021 to you as well.

I am now just waiting for the opportunity for Gareth to visit and help me with the point motor installation, hopefully when things get back to some normality next year we can start work so progress in on hold temporarily for the time being

In the mean time I am trying out different photo views on the layout, I am pleased with the improvements so far with the additional weathering to buildings and track work I think my photos have improved a little.

I will be posting some more photos later today with new views showing the smaller buildings.

I did see your photos on Tony’s thread, excellent models, please feel free to post any of your photos any time on Haymarket 64B.

Thanks again and stay safe.

Regards

David 

• Agree 1

Hi

Two new photos today.

The first photo shows D11/2 Class No 62690 sitting on Haymarket's turntable and the second photo in a new view I have not taken before looking from the points that lead from the MPD out onto the main running lines.

This is the first view a locomotive driver would have on entering Haymarket MPD from the main running lines before going onto the turntable then to the Ash Pits and re coaling.

Regards

David

62690_IMG_2910B_edited-1.jpg

Shed View_IMG_2919_edited-1.jpg

• Like 10

On 21/12/2020 at 17:00, landscapes said:

Hi Ray

Thank you and a very Merry Christmas and a Healthy and Safe 2021 to you as well.

I am now just waiting for the opportunity for Gareth to visit and help me with the point motor installation, hopefully when things get back to some normality next year we can start work so progress in on hold temporarily for the time being

In the mean time I am trying out different photo views on the layout, I am pleased with the improvements so far with the additional weathering to buildings and track work I think my photos have improved a little.

I will be posting some more photos later today with new views showing the smaller buildings.

I did see your photos on Tony’s thread, excellent models, please feel free to post any of your photos any time on Haymarket 64B.

Thanks again and stay safe.

Regards

David 

Thankyou , David , I think the weathering of the buildings is excellent & once you have done the ballasting & added general clutter , fire irons , shovels , piles of ashes etc . your layout will be hard to distinguish from the real thing .

Ray .

• Thanks 1