Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Hi David,

Wishing you and all members a happy and safe and BETTER 2021.

. . . and thanks for all the fabulous photos of Haymarket and its locos - - - and as I don't have a time machine, any time I want to go back to the Haymarket I remember I just come here to view your forum thread!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Holyrood 60152 said:

Hi David,

Wishing you and all members a happy and safe and BETTER 2021.

. . . and thanks for all the fabulous photos of Haymarket and its locos - - - and as I don't have a time machine, any time I want to go back to the Haymarket I remember I just come here to view your forum thread!

Hi Holyrood 60152

Thank you, yes Oh for a time machine.

I would love the opportunity to stand on kings Cross Stations platforms  just as I remember them in 1962 just once again.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Good Evening

A very Happy and healthy 2021 to you all.

J72 Class 69014 heads past Haymarket MPD on a short freight, who remembers going past a MPD in steam days on a passing train frantically writing down and trying to remember as many locomotive numbers as possible.

Regards

David

69014_IMG_3028B.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, landscapes said:

Good Evening

A very Happy and healthy 2021 to you all.

J72 Class 69014 heads past Haymarket MPD on a short freight, who remembers going past a MPD in steam days on a passing train frantically writing down and trying to remember as many locomotive numbers as possible.

Regards

David

69014_IMG_3028B.jpg

Yes, I remember that. I also remember cursing the bas***** who had parked a line of coaches right in front of all the lovely locos.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Yes, I remember that. I also remember cursing the bas***** who had parked a line of coaches right in front of all the lovely locos.

Hi Gilbert 

Happy New  Year to you and happy trainspotting memories as well

I remember in early 1964 on a train from Doncaster back to Kings Cross four hours late arriving back at London due to ice on the tracks going past I think it was Retford MPD at a snails pace but because it was dark not getting a single number, just seeing outlines and shadows of locomotives very frustrating.

Still happy days

Regards

David

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening

Hope everyone is safe and well.

Tonight I have two locomotives dead in the sidings at Haymarket, B1 61243 Sir Harold Mitchell and J36 65311 Haig.

Which is quite realistic as I have spent the last few days lubricating all locomotives and running them on a Hornby Running Road which I might add is not a very good product.

I got all locomotives running sweetly apart from the two in the photo plus a Hornby Clan Class 72005 and for some reason I cannot get any of the three to run at all.

Further investigation or additional help will be required.

Regards

David

61243_IMG_3084B.jpg

• Like 18

Hi

This evenings photo would be at a time later than the period at Haymarket I am modelling, this could be early 1962.

I do like the Deltic's and took the opportunity to snap up a bargain on Ebay many years ago.

I have just finished weathering D9003 Meld, with the so called rarest A3 Pacific to be seen south of Newcastle 60101 Cicero.

Regards

David

D9003_IMG_3115B.jpg

• Like 12

Hi todays photo concentrates on Thompson's locomotives which I must say I do like especially his take on the Pacific Locomotives.

This is the Hornby B1 61243 Sir Harold Mitchell, which for some reason is not working at present standing under the huge water tank which supplied the whole MPD with water.

More of Thompsons designs to follow.

Regards

David

61243_IMG_3160B.jpg

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi

I have made a start on the ballasting of the main running lines passing by the MPD.

Please bear in mind on the enclosed photo that the PVA glue solution hasn't had time to dry yet so I haven't had a chance to clean up the rails and sleepers.

The purpose of the photo is to show today's progress and to see what the ballasting looks like from a photographic point of view looking across the main running lines.

Regards

David

60510_IMG_3202B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Text
  • Like 14

51 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

I have made a start on the ballasting of the main running lines passing by the MPD.

Please bear in mind on the enclosed photo that the PVA glue solution hasn't had time to dry yet so I haven't had a chance to clean up the rails and sleepers.

The purpose of the photo is to show today's progress and to see what the ballasting looks like from a photographic point of view looking across the main running lines.

Regards

David

60510_IMG_3202B.jpg

Good evening David,

Very realistic!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, David Bell said:

David,

That ballasting is looking really good.

I succumbed to a Deltic too just last week!

Cheers

David

20210113_131229.jpg

Hi David

A lovely looking model I assume  it’s a Bachman Deltic.

I remember booing then back in 1962/63 seeing them run through Finsbury Park Station or arriving at Kings Cross.

As a young trainspotter I just did not appreciate how good they were, My thoughts were they were pushing the Pacific’s out.

Thank god a good few have been preserved 

Thanks for your reply.

Regards

David

• Like 2

22 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Regards

David

60510_IMG_3202B.jpg

I Just realised looking at this photo that the tender was not sitting correctly on the turntable track, hence the difference in levels between the cab and tender chassis.

The photo above of 60510 under the water tank is how it should be.

Regards

David

Hi

Today's photo is of probably my favourite of the A4 Class, No 60028 Walter K Whigham.

This was the very first A4 I saw and the second LNER Pacific as well as it followed A1 60141 Abbotsford through Finsbury Park station back in September 1962.

Lasting impressions but unfortunately I cannot remember what other locomotives I saw that day on my very first visit to the ECML as a nine year old.

I was fortunate to see this A4 as a few months later it was withdrawn from Kings Cross MPD.

I said in my last post I started the ballasting of the main running lines passing the MPD, but was not happy with the final appearance of the ballast after glueing with a PVA/Water mixture it took away the ballast definition so I managed to remove it all before it had time to set and re ballast the whole area again.

This time brushing on a latex adhesive between the rails and sprinkling the ballast on top, a method the late Norman Saunders recommended to me some time ago.

I do intend to weather the ballasting with acrylic washes once it's all completed and dry.

Regards

David

60028_IMG_3245B.jpg

• Like 13

On 18/01/2021 at 19:42, landscapes said:

Hi David

A lovely looking model I assume  it’s a Bachman Deltic.

I remember booing then back in 1962/63 seeing them run through Finsbury Park Station or arriving at Kings Cross.

As a young trainspotter I just did not appreciate how good they were, My thoughts were they were pushing the Pacific’s out.

Thank god a good few have been preserved 

Thanks for your reply.

Regards

David

Yes a Bachmann model. I got it second hand. It has a TMC plate underneath. Presumably they fitted the nameplates

Cheers

David 

• Thanks 1

Hi

Ballasting now coming along nicely, just over half of the three running lines now completed and partly weathered, still more oily washes to apply later on.

Now time to look at how to produce all the muck and grime that collects between the rails and sleepers in the shed yards, its would be easy to just ballast in coal and ash but I want to try to achieve that built up sludgy oily look that almost covers the sleepers.

Regards

David

60510_IMG_3274B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
spelling
  • Like 11

Hi

Today we see A4 60027 Merlin on Haymarket's turntable, this locomotive I believe was one of Haymarket's favourites and a regular on the Elizabethan.

Although in this photo she is seen carrying "The Talisman Headboard"

I am not sure if I have included any photos of 60027 before as I have just about finished weathering it and I do not like to show model locomotives as straight from the box.

Regards

David

60027_IMG_3287B.jpg

• Like 8