Haymarket 64B

landscapes

41 minutes ago, David Bell said:

Very atmospheric David,

Under a typical Edinburgh sky perhaps!

Cheers

David

Hi David

There is no intention to give the impression that the weather in Edinburgh is always cloudy, I just like that grey stormy backdrop.

I do have some blue Sunny sky photos I sometimes use as an alternative backing but that don’t look so effective in my opinion.

Many thanks for your kind comment.

Regards

David

Good Evening

The last of this weekends weathering projects, this is Hornby A4 60010 Dominion of Canada this was a Kings Cross A4 for quite a period of it's life and incidentally the very first steam locomotive I ever cabbed, standing at the buffer stops at Kings Cross Station in early 1963 just after it had arrived with an express from the North.

I wonder if any Scottish RMWeb members could please help me and possibly confirm if they have any knowledge of this A4 being seen at Haymarket MPD during the 1958/1959 period.

I believe it pulled the Elizabethan at least once in the early 1950's but cannot see any evidence of it in the Edinburgh area in the late 1950's.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

David

60010_IMG_3374B.jpg

• Like 11

Hi

Another variation of the last photo taken from a high level point of view, the sort of view one might have got from the top of the coaling tower.

I must admit these high level shots are some of my favourites ever since seeing some superb photos taken at a similar angle in Peter Townend's book "Top Shed"

Regards

David

67610_IMG_3434B.jpg

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Jonhayes said:

Stunning.  Thanks for sharing as this has really inspired me to finally take the plunge and build a layout, rather than just collecting Loco’s.

Jon

Hi Jon

Thank you for your kind comments and good luck with your future layout.

Regards 

David

Hi

This evening we see a D11/2 class locomotive 62682 ready to leave Haymarket MPD.

There has been a lot of discussion on RMWeb just lately relating to the forthcoming Hornby Thompson Pacific's.

I have A2/2 60501 on order and looking forward to photographing on Haymarket which it did visit many times in the fifties.

Regards

David

62682_IMG_3500B.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

Trackwork in front of the D11/2 looks totally convincing and 62682 looks good too.

Pleased to see that you are now all up and running again after the recent downtime due to trackwork (?). As always, keep up the good work - brings back such good memories of Haymarket Shed.

Kind regards,

Richard B

53 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

Trackwork in front of the D11/2 looks totally convincing and 62682 looks good too.

Pleased to see that you are now all up and running again after the recent downtime due to trackwork (?). As always, keep up the good work - brings back such good memories of Haymarket Shed.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

Many thanks for your king comments.

Regards

David

Hi David,

I think the cleaners at Haymarket in what I assume is a late 50s early 60s representation are a bit keener than the ones i'm modelling at Dundee and Ferryhill.  Think I'm a little later 62-64 and many of the shots of A2s and A4s up there carry the 'lazy line' as I call it.  The tops of the boiler barrels seemed rarely to get a good clean.  I imagine for two reasons,  the foreman couldn't see it and it was difficult reaching over with cotton waste for a less than rewarding result.  Having just weathered 60528 today i thought i'd share it.  Claggy.

20210206_180340.jpg

Edited by Clagmeister
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

Hi Richard,

I think the cleaners at Haymarket in what I assume is a late 50s early 60s representation are a bit keener than the ones i'm modelling at Dundee and Ferryhill.  Think I'm a little later 62-64 and many of the shots of A2s and A4s up there carry the 'lazy line' as I call it.  The tops of the boiler barrels seemed rarely to get a good clean.  I imagine for two reasons,  the foreman couldn't see it and it was difficult reaching over with cotton waste for a less than rewarding result.  Having just weathered 60528 today i thought i'd share it.  Claggy.

20210206_180340.jpg

Hi Glaggy

You have done a brilliant job, looks very realistic.

Thanks for posting it.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Hi

Talking of weathering and Claggy posting his superb photo.

Following on from the last photo I posted D11/2 62682 has been taken back into Haymarket MPD for a spot of cleaning before it leaves.

I was trying to get that oily rag polished look and after some enamel weathering, cutting back with T-Cut and three attempts at applying Johnson's Klear I finally achieved what I wanted, not sure it shows up so well in the photo as it was about 700mm from the camera lens

For those who are not aware Klear can be easily removed once dry by brushing on a solution of Ammonia diluted with water.

Photo enclosed below.

Regards

David 

62682_IMG_3530B.jpg

• Like 7

Hi

With the pending A2/2's & A2/3's from Hornby I thought I would give 60521 Watling Street a Tyneside based A2/3 locomotive that was a regular visitor to Haymarket in the 1950's some time on the layout.

This model is a Graeme King/Bachmann conversion, it will be interesting to see how this compares with the new Hornby Model as and when they arrive later this year.

Regards

David

60521_IMG_3560B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
photo change
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

Hi

Todays photo is another locomotive I started to weather about five years ago and finally finished today, although this photo was taken just before I weathered the loco and tender chassis and motion.

This started out as Bachmann A2 60533 Happy Knight so I changed to 60529 Pearl Diver which was a Haymarket based Peppercorn A2.

Regards

David

60529_IMG_3623B.jpg

• Like 9

Hi

For todays photo I suggest sun glasses.

My new Hornby A2/2 60501 Cock O The North arrived today.

Runs beautifully, lots of good detail and a very nice looking model from a design point of view.

I have put some comments and this photo on the Trade section under the Horny sub heading so I will say no more apart from the awfal green livery.

Thank god most photo I have of A2/2's they are in a very dirty condition, so lots of weathering required me thinks.

In the back ground I have placed a Bachman A2 and a Hornby A4 fro a colour comparison.

This is straight out of the box plus I added a coat of Johnsons Klear to see if it changed the shade of green in any way but it didn't

Drain cock pipes and front steps have also been added

Any comments more than welcome.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3649B.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

For todays photo I suggest sun glasses.

My new Hornby A2/2 60501 Cock O The North arrived today.

Runs beautifully, lots of good detail and a very nice looking model from a design point of view.

I have put some comments and this photo on the Trade section under the Horny sub heading so I will say no more apart from the awfal green livery.

Thank god most photo I have of A2/2's they are in a very dirty condition, so lots of weathering required me thinks.

In the back ground I have placed a Bachman A2 and a Hornby A4 fro a colour comparison.

This is straight out of the box plus I added a coat of Johnsons Klear to see if it changed the shade of green in any way but it didn't

Drain cock pipes and front steps have also been added

Any comments more than welcome.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3649B.jpg

I have 60505 Thane of Fife, working from front to back, there is a gap under the left hand front frame above the footplate, obviously the colour, boiler bands are missing the orange bands, the left rear driver seems to have a slight quartering problem in that the rear con rod is not level, possibly excess play on the axle, the cab has a small gap between it and the boiler, a tender handrail is flush with the body and the water scoop underneath is backwards. 
Suffice it to say it’s being returned to the dealer. 
Otherwise it’s impressive, just under a foot long and runs smoothly on a rolling road. Very disappointed obviously no pre delivery inspection. Hope the A2/3 is better.

Pete

1 minute ago, Toftwood said:

I have 60505 Thane of Fife, working from front to back, there is a gap under the left hand front frame above the footplate, obviously the colour, boiler bands are missing the orange bands, the left rear driver seems to have a slight quartering problem in that the rear con rod is not level, possibly excess play on the axle, the cab has a small gap between it and the boiler, a tender handrail is flush with the body and the water scoop underneath is backwards. 
Suffice it to say it’s being returned to the dealer. 
Otherwise it’s impressive, just under a foot long and runs smoothly on a rolling road. Very disappointed obviously no pre delivery inspection. Hope the A2/3 is better.

Pete

Hi Pete

Sorry to hear you had so many problems it seems you pay your money in good faith and take a chance on what standard of quality you get.

over all apart from the bloody green I am very happy with the model.

there is a very slight backward slant on the cab be hardly noticeable and no gaps that I can see anywhere.

The water scoop is the wrong way round but not sure if it can be repositioned and once on the track I can see it anyway,

also the smokebox door top lamp bracket missing, but I can replace that with. Staple.

Hope you get a better model second time around.

Regards

David

• Agree 1