Haymarket 64B

landscapes

1 minute ago, landscapes said:

Hi Pete

Sorry to hear you had so many problems it seems you pay your money in good faith and take a chance on what standard of quality you get.

over all apart from the bloody green I am very happy with the model.

there is a very slight backward slant on the cab be hardly noticeable and no gaps that I can see anywhere.

The water scoop is the wrong way round but not sure if it can be repositioned and once on the track I can see it anyway,

also the smokebox door top lamp bracket missing, but I can replace that with. Staple.

Hope you get a better model second time around.

Regards

David

5847D603-6FDB-4708-9CAF-C898E4FDD652.jpeg.b52933e895d6124886404b602be0a210.jpeg

E6147DC1-7D6C-4AD8-91AE-C28C536D087B.jpeg.5231970f7a309e2bda943cda72db1601.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/02/2021 at 18:52, landscapes said:

under the Horny sub heading 

I know the A2/2 is good, but it's not that good!

Joking aside I think it's a brilliant model, apart from the 'out of the box' colour match and cab cap issue. I'll be very interested to how you weather her, I'm about to send mine off to be weathered.

As for the cab issue, since my model shop of choice is out of stock, I've emailed Hornby. If they can't do anything then I'll just leave it/weather to hide it. It wasn't uncommon for the cabs of eastern locos to droop slightly so it's not entirely incorrect, just annoying!

Hi

I have had a chance to do some more work on Hornby A2/2 60501 Cock O the North.

I have completely weathered the chassis under frames and motion, add real coal, Fox etched nameplates and smokebox number.

I have also fitted 3 link screw couplings and Fox etched works plates, I am going to have another go at fitting a flanged pony truck wheel by reducing the axel thickness.

I have also had a go at weathering the green livery, there is a slight improvement but more is needed to tone and darken the loco boiler and tender sides.

Photos enclosed.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3678B.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

That's an improvement already, David!

Could I ask how you attached the Fox nameplates, as I have a set on order for Thane of Fife?  Unusually on these engines, they seem to have been bracketed off the smokebox in some way, to keep them vertical.

18 minutes ago, 31A said:

That's an improvement already, David!

Could I ask how you attached the Fox nameplates, as I have a set on order for Thane of Fife?  Unusually on these engines, they seem to have been bracketed off the smokebox in some way, to keep them vertical.

Hi Thank you.

I stuck the new Fox nameplates over the plastic ones, as it could  be a possible risk to remove the existing ones I have damaged a plastic locomotive body in the past trying to remove the existing nameplates.

I also painted out the existing nameplates in Matt black beforehand.

On 60501 the Fox nameplates are just slightly larger than the plastic one which helps and they do look Ok.

Regards

David

On 31/01/2021 at 10:58, landscapes said:

I wonder if any Scottish RMWeb members could please help me and possibly confirm if they have any knowledge of this A4 being seen at Haymarket MPD during the 1958/1959 period.

A bit later than your dates, and would it have worked through to Edinburgh?

https://www.transporttreasury.com/p634370857/hd722b407

There are also pictures of it on the down Scotch Goods at Grantham. Same question though - did the engine on that work through?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Thank you.

I stuck the new Fox nameplates over the plastic ones, as it could  be a possible risk to remove the existing ones I have damaged a plastic locomotive body in the past trying to remove the existing nameplates.

I also painted out the existing nameplates in Matt black beforehand.

On 60501 the Fox nameplates are just slightly larger than the plastic one which helps and they do look Ok.

Regards

David

Thank you, that sounds easy enough (as long as the new plates aren't smaller)!  I've ordered red ones as I've got a picture of 60505 with them, and will be something a bit different for me.

16 minutes ago, 31A said:

Thank you, that sounds easy enough (as long as the new plates aren't smaller)!  I've ordered red ones as I've got a picture of 60505 with them, and will be something a bit different for me.

Hi

No reason why 60505’s nameplates will be the same as 60501 slightly larger than the factory fitted ones.

Certainly the width of the nameplate will be larger.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:

A bit later than your dates, and would it have worked through to Edinburgh?

https://www.transporttreasury.com/p634370857/hd722b407

There are also pictures of it on the down Scotch Goods at Grantham. Same question though - did the engine on that work through?

Both trains were KX lodging turns and the locos came off at Newcastle.

• Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, landscapes said:

60501_IMG_3691B.jpg

That's a remarkable transformation David, 

My congratulations.

When I receive my 60501, I'll be changing it to 60502 (with the straight vacuum ejector pipe; 60501's should be joggled at the front end). 

How nice to have the correct pattern LNER bogie wheels as well (compare those on 60501 with the 'lumps' on the B1 behind). Weathering the chassis has brought it to life. 

Regarding the nameplates, I'll have to shorten the backing plates to accommodate EARL MARISCHAL.

One point I've never been exactly sure of................... On all the eight-wheeled tenders with beading I've built, I've always painted the area above the beading at the top black (Ian Rathbone does the same). 

It's a pity there have been QC issues with Hornby's A2/2s. If right, I think they're outstanding models (but then I would say that, wouldn't I?).

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

That's a remarkable transformation David, 

My congratulations.

When I receive my 60501, I'll be changing it to 60502 (with the straight vacuum ejector pipe; 60501's should be joggled at the front end). 

How nice to have the correct pattern LNER bogie wheels as well (compare those on 60501 with the 'lumps' on the B1 behind). Weathering the chassis has brought it to life. 

Regarding the nameplates, I'll have to shorten the backing plates to accommodate EARL MARISCHAL.

One point I've never been exactly sure of................... On all the eight-wheeled tenders with beading I've built, I've always painted the area above the beading at the top black (Ian Rathbone does the same). 

It's a pity there have been QC issues with Hornby's A2/2s. If right, I think they're outstanding models (but then I would say that, wouldn't I?).

Regards,

Tony. 

Good Morning Tony

Thank you for your kind compliments.

I agree with you on the tender top colour I did paint out the green on the cab roof edges and also on the very top of the tender sides but from what you are saying I probably did not come down far enough on the tender side panels.

I know there is nothing I can do regarding the vacuum ejector pipe, it’s a shame 60501 had to be different from the rest of the class.

Dare I say it but the front bogie wheels area as they came with the model that improvement has got to be credited to your good self, I know how you feel about front bogie wheels on RTR so Hornby must have taken that on board along with many other things.

And it’s thanks to your input that I finally have a RTR A2/2 from Hornby as I doubt without your influence the models would never have come about.

I am happy with the weathering on the chassis but that green is a different story.

I did try dry brushing the boiler and tender sides after seeing the work you did on your Graeme King / Bachman conversion  A2/3 Sun Stream which looks superb but quite honestly I made a bit of a dogs breakfast on it so I removed it all with white spirits. 

Possibly because I give boiler and tender sides a coat of Johnson’s Klear to see if that improved the look of the green livery but it didn’t.

I may now consider Airbrushing the green livery with a mist coat of some type of black/ brownish mixture as most photos I have of A2/2’s show them in a pretty grimy state.

Regards

David

11 hours ago, landscapes said:

Good Morning Tony

Thank you for your kind compliments.

I agree with you on the tender top colour I did paint out the green on the cab roof edges and also on the very top of the tender sides but from what you are saying I probably did not come down far enough on the tender side panels.

I know there is nothing I can do regarding the vacuum ejector pipe, it’s a shame 60501 had to be different from the rest of the class.

Dare I say it but the front bogie wheels area as they came with the model that improvement has got to be credited to your good self, I know how you feel about front bogie wheels on RTR so Hornby must have taken that on board along with many other things.

And it’s thanks to your input that I finally have a RTR A2/2 from Hornby as I doubt without your influence the models would never have come about.

I am happy with the weathering on the chassis but that green is a different story.

I did try dry brushing the boiler and tender sides after seeing the work you did on your Graeme King / Bachman conversion  A2/3 Sun Stream which looks superb but quite honestly I made a bit of a dogs breakfast on it so I removed it all with white spirits. 

Possibly because I give boiler and tender sides a coat of Johnson’s Klear to see if that improved the look of the green livery but it didn’t.

I may now consider Airbrushing the green livery with a mist coat of some type of black/ brownish mixture as most photos I have of A2/2’s show them in a pretty grimy state.

Regards

David

Good evening David,

Many thanks, but you probably give me too much credit.

All I said to Hornby's designer was that 'Your LNER Pacific bogie wheels are cr@p!'. Not so now, at least not on the A2/2s and A2/3s. No need to change them now.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Another photo of Hornby A2/2 60501Cock O the North in a busy period at Haymarket MPD.

I must be honest I have very slightly darken the green livery to 60501 which at least improves the photo.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3721B.jpg

Brilliant photo David and I think the green is just about right.  We easily become obsessive about colours and I subscribe to the school of thought which accommodates the huge variation on colours on real railways in the steam age, the effects of light, shade, weather, season, rain, ash, smoke, dust, and fading.   

What I try to aim for in my editing is an overall pleasing effect, and with in mind messed around with your 60501 turntable shot, as shown in the Hornby A2 thread,  and with your generous invitation repeat here.

60501_IMG_portrait12_4a_r1820.jpg.29b43672be57e221687a8f2f60b26c25.jpg

I wonder how practical it would be to make an A2/1  60507, 9, 10, from one of these outstanding new Hornby A2/2s?

In any event, please note my picture is edited, though nothing has been done to the model except tone and so on.

Cheers  

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Actually I received a Peppercorn A2 60532 'Irish Elegance' by Bachmann today and it has a very dark green boiler by comparison so no doubt I shall offer the comparison in the Hornby thread when I have received my CotN and ToF.   I recall doing the same with Hall class engines...

But as I wrote earlier I think the prototypes varied greatly.

Just realised that your CotN still has the top lamp bracket away with the fitter. :)

7 hours ago, robmcg said:

Actually I received a Peppercorn A2 60532 'Irish Elegance' by Bachmann today and it has a very dark green boiler by comparison so no doubt I shall offer the comparison in the Hornby thread when I have received my CotN and ToF.   I recall doing the same with Hall class engines...

But as I wrote earlier I think the prototypes varied greatly.

Just realised that your CotN still has the top lamp bracket away with the fitter. :)

Hi Rob

You  have good eyesight, I was going to replace it with a cut down staple yesterday  but for some unknown reason the 0.8 mm drill bit just keeps turning in my pin vice so I have ordered a replacement pin vice on eBay.

Once that arrive I will fit a replacement top lamp iron.

Incidentally I am not nit pick but No 60532 is Blue Peter, looking forward to seeing your photos once your new model locomotives arrive.

Regards

David

10 hours ago, robmcg said:

Brilliant photo David and I think the green is just about right.  We easily become obsessive about colours and I subscribe to the school of thought which accommodates the huge variation on colours on real railways in the steam age, the effects of light, shade, weather, season, rain, ash, smoke, dust, and fading.   

What I try to aim for in my editing is an overall pleasing effect, and with in mind messed around with your 60501 turntable shot, as shown in the Hornby A2 thread,  and with your generous invitation repeat here.

60501_IMG_portrait12_4a_r1820.jpg.29b43672be57e221687a8f2f60b26c25.jpg

I wonder how practical it would be to make an A2/1  60507, 9, 10, from one of these outstanding new Hornby A2/2s?

In any event, please note my picture is edited, though nothing has been done to the model except tone and so on.

Cheers  

Good morning Rob, 

'I wonder how practical it would be to make an A2/1  60507, 9, 10, from one of these outstanding new Hornby A2/2s?'

Not practical at all from Hornby's point of view. The four 'orphans of the storm' were discussed when Hornby's (then) designer and I went through the Thompson Pacific options. 

The chassis, up to below the front of the firebox is fine, but, above, they're separate animals. The boiler is different (it's from a V2) and the firebox (also from a V2 is smaller). Not only that, the cab (V2 again) is not the same - it's fully 'V'-fronted. The tender from 60505 would only suit 60507 (if a strip were fixed to the soleplate). 

Thinking about it, and dependent on how 'brave' one (the generic 'one') might be, one might attempt a meld between Hornby's forthcoming A2/3 and Bachmann's forthcoming V2. Using the chassis from the A2/3 (though not the Catazzi truck) and the front end (however, though they look similar, the smoke deflectors on an A2/1 and A2/3 are not the same), and the boiler/firebox/cab/Cartazzi truck from the V2, then it might be done. Expensive, though. The A2/3 tender would suit 60508/9/10. 

Best leave the A2/1s to kits, I think.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Another photo of Hornby A2/2 60501Cock O the North in a busy period at Haymarket MPD.

I must be honest I have very slightly darken the green livery to 60501 which at least improves the photo.

Hello David,

Although I'm not myself in the initial wave of people buying the new model, I'm following the livery debate with interest, as it's not the only model where Hornby have produced a rather 'pasty', insipid finish. That photo is particularly interesting, as you can see the direct contrast with the A4 in the background, for which the green does look a little better.

One 'tip' I've only just become aware of myself is to mix in a little bit of the intended colour into the varnish so as to deliberately give the varnish a feint tinge. It's not something I'd ever considered before but might be worth trying on the back of the tender just to see if it has the potential to make a difference? I'm about to try this on a Hornby 'Duchess' for my Dad.

Loving the recent photos of Haymarket now that some of the ground cover work is under way (I keep looking and 'like'-ing) and I'm sure it will only get better the more you do.

Graham

16 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Hello David,

Although I'm not myself in the initial wave of people buying the new model, I'm following the livery debate with interest, as it's not the only model where Hornby have produced a rather 'pasty', insipid finish. That photo is particularly interesting, as you can see the direct contrast with the A4 in the background, for which the green does look a little better.

One 'tip' I've only just become aware of myself is to mix in a little bit of the intended colour into the varnish so as to deliberately give the varnish a feint tinge. It's not something I'd ever considered before but might be worth trying on the back of the tender just to see if it has the potential to make a difference? I'm about to try this on a Hornby 'Duchess' for my Dad.

Loving the recent photos of Haymarket now that some of the ground cover work is under way (I keep looking and 'like'-ing) and I'm sure it will only get better the more you do.

Graham

Hi Graham 

thank you for your tip that sounds like a good idea.

I did give the loco and tender a coat of Johnson’s Klear hoping that would darken the livery, in hindsight I should have done what you said.

Still I can always remove the Klear with ammonia and start again.

Also thank you for your kind comments.

Regards 

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 12/02/2021 at 19:38, Toftwood said:

5847D603-6FDB-4708-9CAF-C898E4FDD652.jpeg.b52933e895d6124886404b602be0a210.jpeg

E6147DC1-7D6C-4AD8-91AE-C28C536D087B.jpeg.5231970f7a309e2bda943cda72db1601.jpeg

Thought I would give an update on the saga of my example. Suffice it to say Hornby became involved after some Facebook chatter. An email was requested which I sent . I received a reply from Head of Brand and as a result the matter is being passed to the customer services to arrange a ‘100% correct’ replacement. 
She did say in the email that they were aware of some with similar faults.

So a good result. I look forward to the A2/3 when it comes out, hopefully soon. 

Pete

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Rob

You  have good eyesight, I was going to replace it with a cut down staple yesterday  but for some unknown reason the 0.8 mm drill bit just keeps turning in my pin vice so I have ordered a replacement pin vice on eBay.

Once that arrive I will fit a replacement top lamp iron.

Incidentally I am not nit pick but No 60532 is Blue Peter, looking forward to seeing your photos once your new model locomotives arrive.

Regards

David

Oops sorry, 60534 'Irish Elegance'?  Don't ever let me set the co-ordinates for a military missile!

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Rob, 

'I wonder how practical it would be to make an A2/1  60507, 9, 10, from one of these outstanding new Hornby A2/2s?'

Not practical at all from Hornby's point of view. The four 'orphans of the storm' were discussed when Hornby's (then) designer and I went through the Thompson Pacific options. 

The chassis, up to below the front of the firebox is fine, but, above, they're separate animals. The boiler is different (it's from a V2) and the firebox (also from a V2 is smaller). Not only that, the cab (V2 again) is not the same - it's fully 'V'-fronted. The tender from 60505 would only suit 60507 (if a strip were fixed to the soleplate). 

Thinking about it, and dependent on how 'brave' one (the generic 'one') might be, one might attempt a meld between Hornby's forthcoming A2/3 and Bachmann's forthcoming V2. Using the chassis from the A2/3 (though not the Catazzi truck) and the front end (however, though they look similar, the smoke deflectors on an A2/1 and A2/3 are not the same), and the boiler/firebox/cab/Cartazzi truck from the V2, then it might be done. Expensive, though. The A2/3 tender would suit 60508/9/10. 

Best leave the A2/1s to kits, I think.

Regards,

Tony.  

It would indeed be best left to the ,kit-makers methinks...

here is 'landscapes' PDK kit A2/1  and a pre-production assessment Hornby A2/3, not very instructive as have not yet found photos at comparable angles.

60510_A2_10_1a_r1820.jpg.930e8cf1955a4987b9c802a9659901d8.jpg

60523_A2_R3835_portrait3_4abc_r1820.jpg.bdc871aa75c34d694948f8c1ae5d071c.jpg

I hope you don't mind re-showing your 60510 David.

Cheers

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, robmcg said:

It would indeed be best left to the ,kit-makers methinks...

here is 'landscapes' kit A2/1  and a pre-production assessment Hornby A2/3, not very instructive as have not yet found photos at comparable angles.

60510_A2_10_1a_r1820.jpg.930e8cf1955a4987b9c802a9659901d8.jpg

60523_A2_R3835_portrait3_4abc_r1820.jpg.bdc871aa75c34d694948f8c1ae5d071c.jpg

I hope you don't mind r-showing your 60510 David.

Cheers

Hi Robbie

Not at all.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

Hi

Tonight's photo is yet again of the new the Hornby A2/2 60501 Cock O The North, this time I have carried out some amendments to bring it into line with my own Haymarket timescale 1958/59.

It is such a shame that after so much effort and research that gone into producing the Thompson A2/2's that so many people are dissatisfied with the build quality, I can only assume I was luck in that the model I have overall is quite good and I am more than happy that I finally own a Thompson A2/2.

The work I have done so far is to remove the early BR tender totems and replaced them with the later style totem, I have also removed the existing rimless double chimney and replaced it with a white metal rimmed one.

I have also added an AWS bang plate below the front buffer beam, although it cannot be seen in the enclosed photo.

The only other alteration I now need to complete is to remove the existing smokebox door and replace it with a new door with the front number plate lowered onto the door's top hinge bracket, but this is proving harder than I thought at the moment the existing smokebox door will not budge.

And I do not want to chance trying to carve off the existing plastic backing to the smokebox number plate.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3792B.jpg

• Like 2