Haymarket 64B

landscapes

10 hours ago, landscapes said:

When you saw it on Haymarket that must have been literally the last few months of Steam at 64B.

Yes, that was my first visit to Haymarket (of several) and the only time I saw steam on shed there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, landscapes said:

And a close up of the loco in the back ground of the previous photo, another Thompson Pacific this time an A2/1, this is a kit built locomotive.

Regards

David

60510_IMG_3836B.jpg

Another lovely portrait,  and immediately I thought of the imminent A2/3 from Hornby, even though as Tony Wright has pointed out the A2/1 was a different animal altogether.

Even though Heaton and some other sheds lacked clean engines, they did appear from time to time in photos, thus I think your 60501 is very near the mark.

I am a great advocate of accommodating the wide variations in condition in prototypes, I have yet to see an A2/2 with priming marks and stains all over the boiler. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, landscapes said:

But as you say artistic license I use it all the time with some of the models I have, but I do try to stick the genuine locomotives and factual dates if Possible when taking photo for the thread.

I belong to quite a few railway groups on Facebook and have album of Haymarket layout photos in the Model Railways Section, where is your page located?

Regards

David

Thanks I will try to be more authentic in future.

My facebook page is public and should come up in a search with the name 'BR Steam Photos' . I also have a page  'US Articulated Steam Locomotives'.

Best, Robbie

• Thanks 1

On 21/02/2021 at 20:48, robmcg said:

About six A1s were allocated to 64B at a quick glance, mostly the higher numbers?

Yes, including the last four 60159-60162, as I'm sure David already knows. Most appropriate that 60161 'North British' was one of them. Don't ever be tempted, in your imaginative photo art, to portray one of these quartet in weathered condition. They were kept in immaculate condition by 64B (at least in the 1950s), with burnished fittings, easily the equal of anything King's Cross turned out.

It was a nice moment, in Sept last year (during all to brief lockdown relaxation), to pass by close by to the modern depot with 60163 in similarly immaculate condition, as if in tribute to her long lost sisters.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Yes, including the last four 60159-60162, as I'm sure David already knows. Most appropriate that 60161 'North British' was one of them. Don't ever be tempted, in your imaginative photo art, to portray one of these quartet in weathered condition. They were kept in immaculate condition by 64B (at least in the 1950s), with burnished fittings, easily the equal of anything King's Cross turned out.

The fifth one was 60152 "Holyrood": there's a well-known pic of this one, in immaculate condition, pulling out of an East end platform at the Waverley - possibly an Eric Treacy image.  I'll check.

Alasdair

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

It was a nice moment, in Sept last year (during all to brief lockdown relaxation), to pass by close by to the modern depot with 60163 in similarly immaculate condition, as if in tribute to her long lost sisters.

Hi

I do actually have A1 60161 North British it’s a Bachman A1 which started out as 60158 Aberdonian.

It’s away at the moment being repaired.

Hopefully to be back on the layout soon.

Regards

David

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Thanks LNER4479, I will remember that, and having read and enjoyed 'Steam Days at Haymarket' have become a regular reader of this excellent thread.

I do have a nice photo of 60161 in BR blue and it is pristine, well nearly so, but not quite with burnished fittings. In fact I think I have several.

1 hour ago, AJCT said:

The fifth one was 60152 "Holyrood": there's a well-known pic of this one, in immaculate condition, pulling out of an East end platform at the Waverley - possibly an Eric Treacy image.  I'll check.

Alasdair

Yes, there's definitely at least one Treacy image at Waverley of one of the 64B quintet in immaculate condition - it could well be 60152. They went to 64B new and stayed there throughout the 1950s.

Sorry to 'butt in' on the whole A2/2 loco-of-the-moment thing. It's the Peppercorn machine for me every time ... but don't stop having fun with the Thommo locos!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, landscapes said:

I do actually have A1 60161 North British it’s a Bachman A1 which started out as 60158 Aberdonian.

3 minutes ago, robmcg said:

I do have a nice photo of 60161 in BR blue and it is pristine, well nearly so, but not quite with burnished fittings.

I have a Bachmann blue 60161 myself. It was one of the three(?) members of the class temporarily allocated to Polmadie for trials over the WCML (1951?). There's a lovely Treacy picture of her climbing Shap with the morning Birmingham-Glasgow working. I might give her a try out over Shap myself ...

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I have a Bachmann blue 60161 myself. It was one of the three(?) members of the class temporarily allocated to Polmadie for trials over the WCML (1951?). There's a lovely Treacy picture of her climbing Shap with the morning Birmingham-Glasgow working. I might give her a try out over Shap myself ...

Three of Haymarket’s A1s had time at Polmadie:

60152 in 1951 and 1952/53

60160 in 1951 and 1951/52

60161 in 1951 and 1951/53

There’s a picture of 60152 leaving Crewe with that morning Birmingham-Glasgow, which was one of their regular WCML duties.

I think sending 60161 to the biggest ex-Caledonian shed, to be used over the ex-Caledonian mainline was (to use a modern term) pure ‘trolling’!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi

Talking about clean A1 Pacific's, I doubt you could get much cleaner than this one.

All be it not a working locomotive in steam days, I took this photo of 60163 Tornado at Didcot Railway Centre back in 2011.

Still a magnificent looking locomotive, and with a Scottish light blue background to her nameplate she would have looked at home on Haymarket MPD back in the 1950's

Regards

David

IMG_7654_edited-1.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Information
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Good grief I have a pic of an A1 in BR blue attacking Beattock from the north, well, sort of, it's passing through Thanketon.  And it's No.60114.     Of course I hoped nobody looking at the pic would recognise Thankerton, so I made a generic one as well....  also I wasn't sure which A1s had stovepipe double chimneys and when they changed to the lipped type.... my 60161 in early BR blue has a lipped type but I have 60114 with stovepipe.

I have a nice 60157 too, in late BR form, was this ever a Haymarket engine?

A quick touch of trickery and 60161 could take centre stage... but it would need Staniers to complete the 1951 WCML scene...   a picture will arise eventually.

Well, it was a Haymarket engine, eventually....  was it not!

edit; even though the link to 64B is tenuous at best could anyone guess what carriages might have been behind 60161 when on the WCML in 1951?  Staniers in LMS livery or crimson-cream BR?

Edited by robmcg
question

The things that Haymarket engines got up to!   Looked better with teak Gresleys, but we must try to keep to the late 50s.

I'm looking forward to Hornby's new A2/3s...  I have 60523 'Sun Castle' pre-ordered, and I doubt I'll be able to resist at least one in apple green, maybe if I'm feeling kindly towards Edward Thompson No.500. After all, he must have had some redeeming features. :)

3 hours ago, robmcg said:

I'm all a-thither, having pictured this rather marvellous event...

My modelmaster shedcode book lists 60161 as 66A Polmadie in 1952 thence 64B, ....

2 hours ago, robmcg said:

Could something like this have happened to what was soon to become a Haymarket stalwart?

Heaven forfend!

A once and future Haymarket stalwart. Here’s 60161’s allocation history:

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=600101048&loco=60161

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, robmcg said:

I'm all a-thither, having pictured this rather marvellous event...

My modelmaster shedcode book lists 60161 as 66A Polmadie in 1952 thence 64B, ....

Thither no longer ... here we go (except he might be enjoying his beauty sleep at the moment?):

DSC00894.JPG.10fc95760f19cf624c6c6eb4ec9cace0.JPG

The coaches are a bit of a rag bag (I don't - yet - have a coherent set of ex-LMS stock in blood n custard) and there's some MkIs towards the back to make up the numbers ... but otherwise as close as I can get it to the Treacy 1951 picture from this spot.

I'll PM you a version of the prototype picture; I think I would get my knuckles wrapped for posting it directly on here.

Feel free to 'do your worst' to add further realism and life to the picture; I look forward to seeing it.

And hope David doesn't mind this WCML intrusion on his otherwise excellent thread?

• Like 3

On 23/02/2021 at 13:41, landscapes said:

Hi

Talking about clean A1 Pacific's, I doubt you could get much cleaner than this one.

All be it not a working locomotive in steam days, I took this photo of 60163 Tornado at Didcot Railway Centre back in 2011.

Snap! Maybe you're in my shot?

IMG_1718.JPG.97fd244d05850db6bdc9646a3e4b8a4a.JPG

She was even cleaner last September

20200912_120356.jpg.a82f21ad3e730aca4f73f0d44e25b790.jpg

20200912_142051.jpg.81a98b23dc2099a9cef96208ec19f30c.jpg

Two hours non-stop Carlisle to Edinburgh, cresting Beattock at 28mph with a 13 coach train. Quite simply the highlight of 2020 in what was otherwise a rotten year. Note the shedcode plate , carried specially for the occasion!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Snap! Maybe you're in my shot?

IMG_1718.JPG.97fd244d05850db6bdc9646a3e4b8a4a.JPG

She was even cleaner last September

20200912_120356.jpg.a82f21ad3e730aca4f73f0d44e25b790.jpg

20200912_142051.jpg.81a98b23dc2099a9cef96208ec19f30c.jpg

Two hours non-stop Carlisle to Edinburgh, cresting Beattock at 28mph with a 13 coach train. Quite simply the highlight of 2020 in what was otherwise a rotten year. Note the shedcode plate , carried specially for the occasion!

Hi Graham 

would you believe it yes I am, in the top photo.

Thats me at the very end of the photographers gallery on the extreme right facing Tornado, wearing a white top and white cap.

Small world.

Great  photos of Tornado by the way.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Carlisle to Edinburgh via Carstairs - given the history of A1s on the WCML, should it not have been a 66A plate? :D

• Like 1