Haymarket 64B

landscapes

On 25/02/2021 at 02:54, LNER4479 said:

Thither no longer ... here we go (except he might be enjoying his beauty sleep at the moment?):

DSC00894.JPG.10fc95760f19cf624c6c6eb4ec9cace0.JPG

The coaches are a bit of a rag bag (I don't - yet - have a coherent set of ex-LMS stock in blood n custard) and there's some MkIs towards the back to make up the numbers ... but otherwise as close as I can get it to the Treacy 1951 picture from this spot.

I'll PM you a version of the prototype picture; I think I would get my knuckles wrapped for posting it directly on here.

Feel free to 'do your worst' to add further realism and life to the picture; I look forward to seeing it.

And hope David doesn't mind this WCML intrusion on his otherwise excellent thread?

I hope this pastiche of sky and scene proportions, model A1 and carriages from LNER4479, and an ad lib foreground  does not break too many laws of ethics. The background is painted by me to look like the Treacy photo, sort of.

60161_A1_test3_shop_5abcdef_r2020.jpg.b81d3abd987ea03a65bcd5a013387c69.jpg

Well, it was a 66A engine for about three weeks of its life, otherwise pure 64B :)

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well, that is indeed a most remarkable transformation!

I hope it doesn't cause offence. It's a lovely juxtaposition of model and real location - obviously satisfying to me, particularly because the angle / orientation of the model fits so well into the overall scene.

Thanks, Rob

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, that is indeed a most remarkable transformation!

I hope it doesn't cause offence. It's a lovely juxtaposition of model and real location - obviously satisfying to me, particularly because the angle / orientation of the model fits so well into the overall scene.

Thanks, Rob

Great, the photo you took was so close to perfect in angle and orientation it was relatively easy.

I did do a version with a full 16 or 17 carriage train, the first five carriages being yours, 

60161_A1_test3_shop_15abc_r2020.jpg.025a38ee4495b5aec8657cd69a432b32.jpg

I think I'll try something with one of my Duchesses  but  this is a wee bit away from Haymarket so I had better have a nice cuppa instead! 

Thanks ever so much for the opportunity to mess around with this lovely model and scene.

Sorry about my typos, I have cataracts which make reading print trickier than it once was.

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, robmcg said:

I think I'll try something with one of my Duchesses  but  this is a wee bit away from Haymarket so I had better have a nice cuppa instead! 

Well I'll happily do another one with a Duchess in - that's no hardship! Perhaps best by PM though - we should return to 64B on this thread!

56 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Well I'll happily do another one with a Duchess in - that's no hardship! Perhaps best by PM though - we should return to 64B on this thread!

I'll probably photograph the Treacy pic and use it as template for my model, I have a couple of dozen engines to choose from, but as you say, back to 64B.

• Like 1

Hi David ,

I always enjoy your pictures of Haymarket & look forward to seeing more progress as we come out of the pandemic .

You may remember I said I would post some photos of no. 60530"Sayajirao" when I had completed her . Well , after a short wait for a brass chimney from Markits , here she is .

Incidentally if Rob is interested he is welcome to perform his magic on any of my photos that I put on here or "Wright writes" . I think what he does is brilliant & can't understand why anyone would complain about it .

Best Wishes ,

Ray .

P1010508a.jpg

P1010509a.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Hi David ,

I always enjoy your pictures of Haymarket & look forward to seeing more progress as we come out of the pandemic .

You may remember I said I would post some photos of no. 60530"Sayajirao" when I had completed her . Well , after a short wait for a brass chimney from Markits , here she is .

Incidentally if Rob is interested he is welcome to perform his magic on any of my photos that I put on here or "Wright writes" . I think what he does is brilliant & can't understand why anyone would complain about it .

Best Wishes ,

Ray .

P1010508a.jpg

P1010509a.jpg

Hi Ray

Thanks for your kind comments, that's a lovely looking model thanks for posting it.

Regards

David

On 12/02/2021 at 18:52, landscapes said:

Hi

For todays photo I suggest sun glasses.

My new Hornby A2/2 60501 Cock O The North arrived today.

Runs beautifully, lots of good detail and a very nice looking model from a design point of view.

I have put some comments and this photo on the Trade section under the Horny sub heading so I will say no more apart from the awfal green livery.

Thank god most photo I have of A2/2's they are in a very dirty condition, so lots of weathering required me thinks.

In the back ground I have placed a Bachman A2 and a Hornby A4 fro a colour comparison.

This is straight out of the box plus I added a coat of Johnsons Klear to see if it changed the shade of green in any way but it didn't

Drain cock pipes and front steps have also been added

Any comments more than welcome.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3649B.jpg

Hi

I am still trying to sort out the livery issues to Hornby A2/2 60501 Cock O The North.

The easier option is to weather out the green livery and the strange reddish linings but I want to try to keep it as a fairly clean hard working locomotive, so my next move is to replace all linings and boiler bands using Fox Transfers.

The above photo was taken as straight out of the box on the day it arrived a few weeks ago.

By comparison I enclose a similar photo taken today showing amendments carried out so far which included applying Johnson's Klear and some weathering to both loco and tender.

I have also carried out various other alterations including replacement boiler bands, the cab side and tenders linings will be replaced as soon as I receive the radius corner lining transfers from Fox which were ordered today, once all completed the new linings and boiler bands will be toned down as they are far to bright as present 

I am happy with the alterations so far and think they have gone part of the way to improving the looks of the locomotives livery.

The locomotive in the background is a standard Hornby A3,  I think it's green livery has a bit of a blueish tint to it so maybe the wrong model to use as a comparison, it too has has Johnson's Klear and weathering applied

Please judge the two photos for yourselves, neither have had the colours adapted or altered in any way. 

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3870B.jpg

• Like 10

I look forward to any further progress on the much-discussed Hornby A2/2...   efore we know it we will be dealing with Scottish-based A2/3s,  

here is that cropped pic of your 'work-in-progress 60501....

60501_A2_image101ab_r1820.jpg.602dcc2a7eaabc8374fdcd274f2f1c89.jpg

As you know I'm having fun with the photos of my A2/2.

cheers

• Like 4

Hi

An update on Hornby A2/2 60501 Cock O The North.

I have tried various ways to deal with the green livery but unsuccessful in getting it to a shade thats acceptable to me and the layout it's going on.

I have completely replaced all boiler bands, cab-side and tender linings plus replaced the yellowish cab side numbers as well all using Fox Transfer products.

I have looked at many coloured photos of the S2/2 class in their final few years and in most cases the external condition was in a pretty rundown state.

So I decided to bit the bullet and semi heavy weather the locomotive and tender, in doing that I have rectified the green livery and reddish lining problems.

60501 was a York based A2/2 and the MPD was not known for regularly cleaning it's engines.

Photo enclosed.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3880B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Spelling
  • Like 11

22 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

An update on Hornby A2/2 60501 Cock O The North.

I have tried various ways to deal with the green livery but unsuccessful in getting it to a shade thats acceptable to me and the layout it's going on.

I have completely replaced all boiler bands, cab-side and tender linings plus replaced the yellowish cab side numbers as well all using Fox Transfer products.

I have looked at many coloured photos of the S2/2 class in their final few years and in most cases the external condition was in a pretty rundown state.

So I decided to bit the bullet and semi heavy weather the locomotive and tender, in doing that I have rectified the green livery and reddish lining problems.

60501 was a York based A2/2 and the MPD was not known for regularly cleaning it's engines.

Photo enclosed.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3880B.jpg

Very natural.................

Just how I remember seeing this class - dirty! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Lovely weathering David.   Quite the opposite of my highly polished version in the Hornby section, and I know which would have been more typical!

Cheers

Hi Robbie 

Thank you, It was quite difficult at times with the replacement linings and boiler bands, every time I thought I was finished I found something was out of line or not level.

Anyway all completed now.

Look forward to seeing photos of your A2/3’s when they arrive.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

With all these Thompson engines we shall soon be asking 'where are all the Gresley engines?'   not to mention the others which worked from and around Haymarket!  :)

I hope to see the BR Blue Merchant Navy arriving in shops soon so that should even things up a little.

Edited by robmcg
addition

12 minutes ago, robmcg said:

With all these Thompson engines we shall soon be asking 'where are all the Gresley engines?'   not to mention the others which worked from and around Haymarket!  :)

Hi Robbie 

There was quite a variety of Locomotive both visiting and allocated at the depot.

I have quite a few classes including Gresley, Thompson and Peppercorn Pacific’s,

Also J83’s, J 72’s B1’s and D11/2 classes but there are many other classes just not available as RTR.

For a good insight into Haymarket’s Locomotives you should have a look at Eric Kidd’s Longdrem & Pinkhill layout, his thread is also in the Layout Topics section he has just about every class of locomotive you would have seen at Haymarket, a wonderful layout with wonderful locomotives as well.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

Good Evening

Another photo of A2/2 60501 Cock O The North, this time standing on number Three road of Haymarket MPD on a dull day with the shed lights on.

Also a resident Gresley A3 in the background.

I am in two minds whether I have overdone the A2/2's weathering but the layout needed a pacific locomotive in a run down state and with the original strange green livery 60501 fit the bill.

Photo enclosed.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3887B.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, landscapes said:

A good comparison with a visiting York based A2/2 and a Haymarket A4.

Hi David,

Lovely job with 60501 - looks really good and does seem to deal with the livery issue very well. I have not touched mine yet apart from run it on my layout. I'm informed by Hatton's that Strait Deal is on its way. Looking forward to comparing this with my Sun Castle.

Do you really mean a York based A2/2?

Kind regards,

Richard B

11 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

Lovely job with 60501 - looks really good and does seem to deal with the livery issue very well. I have not touched mine yet apart from run it on my layout. I'm informed by Hatton's that Strait Deal is on its way. Looking forward to comparing this with my Sun Castle.

Do you really mean a York based A2/2?

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

Thank you for your kind comment.

Yes A2/2 60501was based at York MPD along with 60502/3 as well during the period I am modelling 1958/9.

All three were seen at Haymarket during the period of 1959/60 so It'd authentic.

I just could not accept Hornby's version of Brunswick Green on the A2/2's  so something radical was needed, I do think if the green livery on the A2/3's is an improvement over the A2/2's then maybe just a couple of coats of Johnson's Klear may be all thats required.

Perhaps you may consider posting some photos of your Thompson Pacific's some time in the future.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Perhaps you may consider posting some photos of your Thompson Pacific's some time in the future.

Will do Mike - I now have the bones of a layout to put them on and a (small 70D) engine shed site so they can line up although my pictures are not up to your standard!

Kind regards,

Richard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi

The same photo as last time but taken at high level.

A good comparison with a visiting York based A2/2 and a Haymarket A4.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_3896B.jpg

That's really rather good. The elevated viewpoint shows off your weathering very well. All traces of the insipid Hornby finish well and truly banished!

The fire irons on the ground are a nice touch. I'm looking forward to seeing this view when you've fully completed the ground treatment - most model depot scenes are far too tidy!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

David,

As requested, my Thompson pacifics lined up in front of where Basingstoke shed will be located. The G5 0-4-4T that I have just completed for The Darlington Model Railway Club gets into some of the pictures - a lttle terrier of a loco!

265554528_016(2).JPG.793b2319fe2fafc8810b1b26b1ffb0b4.JPG

2012273718_018(2).JPG.563f33e655682021aae862b7c809b03c.JPG

828971046_019(2).JPG.0f0337e2efd31b19b066917bc0a6c7c6.JPG

1343967368_020(3).JPG.9c6132382dd98b6d0de6f9db41cae14e.JPG

809885295_002(2).JPG.6ae5990e1e13bd2e1948694c67e647e7.JPG

210966998_021(2).JPG.3501bd0ea4e56ac02215bf5b4b9eafbc.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

That's really rather good. The elevated viewpoint shows off your weathering very well. All traces of the insipid Hornby finish well and truly banished!

The fire irons on the ground are a nice touch. I'm looking forward to seeing this view when you've fully completed the ground treatment - most model depot scenes are far too tidy!

The east end of the Shed was kept tidy as all the locos there were ready for moving out having gone through the watering, coaling, ash disposal etc. at the west end which although messy was still kept in relatively good order. The 64B management were not too keen on untidiness!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1