Haymarket 64B

landscapes

4 hours ago, 31A said:

Thank you, Tony.  I suppose if you just put the crank in the right position and tightened the nut up, it would clamp it on top of the end of the crankpin, albeit on top of the shouldered part which has the 'flats' on it.  I don't think I'd want to risk soldering, as I think the wheel centres are plastic?

' I don't think I'd want to risk soldering, as I think the wheel centres are plastic?'

But then you're not a loony - like me!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Round of applause 1

If it helps re the crank...

You don't need to adjust it anything like 90 degrees; only approx 20-25 degrees.

With rods dead bottom centre, that crank will lean back at approx 11 o'clock position; it should lean forward (ie towards the cylinders) at approx 1 o'clock position hence it needs to be rotated approx 20-25 degrees clockwise (and a similar amount anti-clockwise for the crank on the other side if that one's also wrong. Sometimes it's just one of them that's out).

The way I do it is to remove the small hexagonal headed screw then put a pair of pliers across the flats. Holding firmly but carefully, attempt to rotate the crank pin by the desired amount - it should 'give', as it appears just to be a push fit into the wheel. Then simply re-affix the crank.

The alternative is to file away the flats slightly (ie at 20degs to their current orientation). When you then refit the crank, you'll then have quite a bit of slop - as you referred to - and can then fine-tune the exact lean of the crank. 

Of course,  if it's not offending your eye - and it sounds like it isn't(!) - then probably best left alone! Personally, I'm rather fond of Walschaerts valve gear and my eye is instantly drawn to such things. I should get out more ...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good morning

A happy Easter to all members.

Todays photo although I have never actually visited Haymarket I hope would be a typical view to railway enthusiast's when visiting Haymarket MPD in the late 1950's.

A line of mostly clean LNER Pacific locomotives awaiting their next turn.

Regards

David

60529_IMG_4176B.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi

Today a trio of Thompson pacific's, A2/2 60501 is one of the new  Hornby models where as A2/1 60510 is a PDK kit built model.

I am really pleased as the shade of Brunswick Green on both models with weathering is now identical, I hope this shows up on the enclosed photo.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_4186B.jpg

• Like 14

I think you've got those colours down to a tee, David, and wonder which if any of your Haymarket engines were given the royal treatment... some of the prototype photos show very clean A1s and A4s from the 50s, perhaps rather fewer A3s and hardly ever a clean A2?

Of course cameras used to come out for clean engines on sunny days, usually by the looks of it for named trains. 

Edited by robmcg
wrong name, so embarrassed
  • Thanks 1

Hi

A close up look of Hornby A2/2 60501 Cock O The North about to leave Haymarket MPD and head home.

With the Weathering and replacement orange boiler bands and linings I am happy the livery finally resembles and blends in with my other Thompson Pacific's. 

Regards

David

60501_IMG_4214B_edited-1.jpg

• Like 12

Hi

Today's photo shows a Hornby Clan Class 72005 Clan Macgregor sitting on Haymarket's turntable.

Members of the clan class were shedded at Haymarket at various times during the late 1950's but from what I read they weren't very popular with drivers and shed staff so they didn't stay very long.

This particular model I weathered a few months ago and for some reason I could not get it to work, but further investigation and some work on the wheels with Cellulose Thinners and Cotton Buds its now running very well.

This model was only lightly weathered as Haymarket looked after it's locomotives, even the unpopular Clan Class,

Next week I'm expecting three model locomotives back all have been away having repair works done on them, A3 60043, A1 60161 & A2/3 60511.

Regards

David

72005_IMG_4233B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Text
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi

Todays photos are two home based locomotives and one tyneside visitor.

All three locomotives have just been returned to me having had repairs and alterations carried out by Gareth at Replica Railways.

I normally try to carry out as much work as I can on my own but in this case I needed some expert advice and someone with the skills to carry out the works to a high standard.

A2/3 60511 Airborne is a Bachmann/G King conversion which needed the smoke deflectors being removed and replacement deflector support brackets fitted.

Regards

David

60511_IMG_4247B.jpg

• Like 9

The next model is an early Bachmann A1which started out as 60158 Aberdonian, which I renamed and numbered to Haymarket's 60161 North British.

This model has chassis problems, the whole chassis had play on it and the locomotive body sat on the chassis at an angle, extensive work was done to rectify the problem.

The locomotives body is now square and stable on the chassis and it now runs beautifully,

60161_IMG_4274B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 10

The third and final photo is of Hornby A3 60043 Brown Jack.

It came with the German style Smoke Deflectors and smoke box number plated below the smoke box handrail.

This is fine for the early sixties but not for 1958/9, I removed the smoke deflectors and a new smokebox door was fitted with the front Number in the correct position using one of Graeme King's resin doors and an etched brass smokebox handle.

Also the boiler handrails were extended to run around onto the smokebox door face.

Regards

David

60043_IMG_4261B.jpg

• Like 17

Hi

A2/3 60511 Airborne and a dirty K1 await access to the turntable, while two A4's leave for Waverley Station.

The building  in the foreground was the general offices building which had a panoramic view of the main shed building,  MPD access road and turntable area, this was were the Shed Master was located, from what I have heard this building was to be avoided by trainspotters in steam days.

Regards

David 

60511_IMG_4297B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Spelling
  • Like 19

• 2 weeks later...

David, a question if I may from a novice at renumbering and ultimately weathering my loco’s. 

I have just renamed/numbered my new Hornby A2/3 Sun Castle to 60511 Airborne, with Heaton shed plate. When you give a coat of ‘Clear’ do you use just one coat or as many as required to get the shine you want? Would you then weather after or before ‘Clear ‘ application?

On 29/04/2021 at 15:56, Toftwood said:

David, a question if I may from a novice at renumbering and ultimately weathering my loco’s. 

I have just renamed/numbered my new Hornby A2/3 Sun Castle to 60511 Airborne, with Heaton shed plate. When you give a coat of ‘Clear’ do you use just one coat or as many as required to get the shine you want? Would you then weather after or before ‘Clear ‘ application?

Hi Toftwood

sorry for the late reply.

I apply two coats of Klear applied with 1/2 inch flat sable brush.

when applying Klear to the tender side I alway lay the tender flat on its side as Klear is self levelling.

I prefers to use a brush as appose to an Air Brush which I think gives a to even finish.

the brush sometimes gives a streaky finish which looks like that oily rag look.

Some people apply three coats but I personally think two is plenty.

let the first coat dry thoroughly before you apply the second.

if you make a mistake or are not happy with your result it can be removed easily with diluted ammonia just brush it on and it melts the Klear to a running jelly consistency and rinse with clean water and start again.

Don't put to much Klear on your brush and don’t keep brushing over it once applied 

Hope that helps and makes sense, good luck.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi

It’s Been a while since my last update.

Now on the final leg of wiring the entire layout, all track work has now been stuck down, holes drilled for point motor installation.

And under Covid rules  Gareth of Replica Railways is now in a position to help out with soldering all droppers to the bus bars.

First baseboard completed today, three more to go for phase 1 of the layout.

Sorry no photos as all buildings have now been removed from the baseboards to allow access.

Regards

David

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Toftwood

sorry for the late reply.

I apply two coats of Klear applied with 1/2 inch flat sable brush.

when applying Klear to the tender side I alway lay the tender flat on its side as Klear is self levelling.

I prefers to use a brush as appose to an Air Brush which I think gives a to even finish.

the brush sometimes gives a streaky finish which looks like that oily rag look.

Some people apply three coats but I personally think two is plenty.

let the first coat dry thoroughly before you apply the second.

if you make a mistake or are not happy with your result it can be removed easily with diluted ammonia just brush it on and it melts the Klear to a running jelly consistency and rinse with clean water and start again.

Don't put to much Klear on your brush and don’t keep brushing over it once applied 

Hope that helps and makes sense, good luck.

Regards

David

Thanks for that David. Very kind of you.

Peter.

• Thanks 1

Good Afternoon 

still continuing with the layout wiring, two baseboards fully completed apart from point motor fitting.

I enclose two photos, first one is a baseboard with dropper wires still to be soldered and the second shows the completed board, this one includes the turntable.

Regards

David

7CD7D700-197B-4E7E-85D9-3B8D37142703.jpeg

87BEE62E-E5F0-423B-9B12-41A304D4E352.jpeg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

As Haymarket is in a dismantled state while the wiring and point motor installation takes place I decided to photograph my two latest weathering projects on a photo plank I constructed many years ago.

All photos enclosed have had a background or sky photoshopped onto them apart from that the rest is all normal railway modelling.

Regards

David

60501_IMG_4314B.jpg

60501_IMG_4336B.jpg

62024_IMG_4363B.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Hi

Still recovering from a Nasal Surgery operation two weeks ago, so no further progress on Haymarket's wiring and point motor installation.

I have been carrying out some locomotive weathering, enclosed is the latest loco to be weathered this is Hornby A3 60093 Coronach.

Again photo taken on my photo-plank, with photoshopped background.

Regards

David

60093_IMG_4984B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
spelling
  • Like 12

Hi

Another one of Haymarket's A3 Pacific's, which I have just completed the weathering and minor modifications.

This was to represent a loco which has just been cleaned by Haymarket's cleaners ready for top link work.

This is a Hornby A3 which I renamed and renumbered to represent Haymarket's 60100 Spearmint, like all my locomotives a crew has been fitted together with lamps and real coal to the tender, I cannot remember the identity of the donor loco?

After weathering was completed I dry brushed all the wheels and motion with Humbrol Metalcote 27004 Gunmetal.

Regards

David

60100_IMG_5320B.jpg

• Like 14

Hi

Pleased to say I am back on course next week to carry on with Haymarket's electrical wiring and point motor installation.

In the mean time I have been experimenting with photo plank photography, using different model locomotives and photographic angles.

Its quite amazing what illusions you can achieve with a 500mm x 1200mm length of foam landscaped with static grass and foliage, plus a  photoshopped backdrop blended in.

Regards

David 

60510_IMG_5691B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional information
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Pleased to say I am back on course next week to carry on with Haymarket's electrical wiring and point motor installation.

In the mean time I have been experimenting with photo plank photography, using different model locomotives and photographic angles.

Its quite amazing what illusions you can achieve with a 500mm x 1200mm length of foam landscaped with static grass and foliage, plus a  photoshopped backdrop blended in.

Regards

David 

60510_IMG_5691B.jpg

Glad to hear you are recovered , David ,& back at work on the wiring . Your photo plank shots are incredibly realistic , keep them coming!

Best Wishes ,

Ray .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Glad to hear you are recovered , David ,& back at work on the wiring . Your photo plank shots are incredibly realistic , keep them coming!

Best Wishes ,

Ray .

Thank You Ray

Thats very kind of you, its been a very testing three months with nasal breathing problems which eventually lead to surgery.

Thankfully thats all behind me now and I'm very grateful to be back into model railways.

The photo below like all other photo plank images are all pure railway modelling with just the exception of a photoshopped backdrop which is blended into the embankment foliage from the top of the tunnel mouth upwards. 

Regards

David

72005IMG_5153B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 11

Hi

Back to wiring and point motor installation from tomorrow morning, but for now staying with photographing locos on the Photo Plank I thought I would try a completely new view.

This was achieved by turning the photo plank around 180 degrees and photographing from the opposite side.

I was quite pleasantly surprised at the results, this view is looking down to the tunnel mouth from the signal box roof.

Regards

David

60101_IMG_5826B.jpg

• Like 14