Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Lovely to see the grass foreground, I think it adds to the atmosphere. Great photo and those weathered Hornby models really are excellent.

Did Haymarket have any V2s?  With the new Bachmann model arriving I hope quite soon it would interesting to see something maybe renumbered and weathered?

Cheers   

17 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Lovely to see the grass foreground, I think it adds to the atmosphere. Great photo and those weathered Hornby models really are excellent.

Did Haymarket have any V2s?  With the new Bachmann model arriving I hope quite soon it would interesting to see something maybe renumbered and weathered?

Cheers   

Hi Robbie

Thank you for your kind comments.

I must admit that the static grass colour and texture looks a lot better on the layout, I think it’s the LED lighting in the room that makes it look a lot lighter in colour.

Also there actually was a grass embankment that ran parallel to the motive power depot along its whole length including both East and West yards as well

Without looking I am not sure if Haymarket had any V2’s on its books but I do have plenty of photos showing them on shed including many of the named members of the class as well.

The new Bachmann V2 looks amazing and as much as I would like one but at the moment I still have a lot of expenditure on the layout so it will have to wait, but I do agree a nicely weathered V2 would really look the part sitting on Haymarket’s turntable.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Additional information
  • Thanks 1

And now we have Hornby A4 60027 Merlin which I believe was quite popular with Haymarket crews and used quite often on the Elizabethan.

Merlin is following the Haymarket oneway system for locomotives entering the MPD, having been turned on the turntable she will run down past the water tower to the coaling stage to the ash pits if required.

This line ran down the Southern side of  the main shed building.

Regards

David

60027_IMG_6925B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Spelling
  • Like 16

Lovely photo David, a friend who fired on the ECML in the late-50s early-60s described the A3s as perhaps the only engine which looked fast standing still.

Here is my Hornby 60062... they are great models.  Not sure if it reached Haymarket though, in this pic it can't be Haymarket, the ash on the track wouldn't be tolerated. :)

60062_A3_portrait10_9a_r2080.jpg.d3531c6d5d82865b9b0620335b37618f.jpg

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 9

35 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Further to the above Graham, do you plan to add yard lights to Haymarket? They might  add to the look, and make adding skies in photos trickier!

Hi Robbie

Thank you for your kind comments and yes I will eventually be fitting both yard lights and most of the smaller out buildings will be fitted with LED lights as well.

The main shed building has already been  fitted out with LED lights.

My next project is to landscape the track work and yards to cover the area in a build up of sludge and muck to the top of the sleepers level.

I do like your photo of 60062, I actually saw that A3 in the early 1960’s but unfortunately not the two in my photo.

By the way my name is David not Graham an easy mistake to make.

Thanks for your replies 

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

HI David,

Another series of great images - Haymarket and its occupants looks as realistic as always. As I have mentioned, the appearance of the track in the foreground is so very good.

On another matter, I assume, probably wrongly, that you use something like Humbrol "gloss oil stain" wash on your loco underframes or something that you have mixed? Whatever, it is very effective. Incidently, if you do use those Humbrol stains how the heck do you open them?!! I really struggle with them.

Kind regards,

Richard B

8 hours ago, 30368 said:

HI David,

Another series of great images - Haymarket and its occupants looks as realistic as always. As I have mentioned, the appearance of the track in the foreground is so very good.

On another matter, I assume, probably wrongly, that you use something like Humbrol "gloss oil stain" wash on your loco underframes or something that you have mixed? Whatever, it is very effective. Incidently, if you do use those Humbrol stains how the heck do you open them?!! I really struggle with them.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

Thank you, regards to weathering and especially to the loco and tender under-frames I do the following.

I use the same method as Tim Shackleton explains in his book "Aspects of Modelling volume Weathering Locomotives which I must say is a brilliant reference book to all aspects of loco weathering.

I use a mixture of Humbrol Enamel paints Matt Black No 33, Matt Leather No 62 and Metalcote Gunmetal No27004 mixed together and vary the mix as I go along.

I also use Railmatch spray cans Roof Dirt No 1403 and Frame Dirt No 1402 with just small puff of paint applied from a distance from the model as the PPi is much grater than an Airbrush.

All Humbrol paints are applied by brushes of various sizes, as I said I followed Tim's procedures and they work fine for me.

I do actually have four Airbrushes and a compressor as well but have never used one of them to date, I will get round to using them sometime in the future possibly on the layout itself.

Hope that helps 

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

Hi

This evenings photo is a new high level view I have not used before, its shows a bit more detail of the large water tower and the smaller huts located around the coal stage and water tower.

The locomotive in view is a Bachmann RTR A1 it started off as No 60158 Aberdonian and was the first LNER Pacific model I purchased some fourteen years ago, I changed its identity to Haymarket's A1 No 60161 North British.

This is the only A1 class model I own.

Regards

David

60161_IMG_7076B.jpg

• Like 14

Hi

Tonight's photos is one of my favourite A4's 60028 Walter K Whigham, the very first A4 I ever saw in fact it was the very first LNER Pacific I ever saw.

Standard Hornby RTR A4 renamed and renumbered by myself, on it's way down to Waverley Station to return South.

Regards

David

60028_IMG_7108B.jpg

• Like 14

Another photo of A4 60028 standing next to Haymarket's store and offices building.

This is where the lamps and if applicable the headboard's would would either be removed of fitted.

A grubby K1 drifts past on a freight.

Regards

David

62024_IMG_7122B.jpg

• Like 14

On 12/10/2021 at 22:40, robmcg said:

Cheers   

Hi there - 64B had 14 V2s over time

john

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Hi there - 64B had 14 V2s over time

john

Hi John

Many thanks for the information, I think on my layout due to expense there will be only one although I would love to have all fourteen of them.

Tonights photos concentrate on the only metal kit built locomotive I have, its a PDK A2/1 along with the single A1/1 60113 Great Northern these are the only two classes of LNER Pacific's not available in RTR so far?.

I must admit you can certainly see and feel the quality when handling a metal kit built locomotive its solid construction.

This was built by Paul Hill of PDK some six or more years ago and in that time I have renamed and numbered it from 60509 Waverley to 60510 Robert the Bruce here she is complete with lamps and the Queen of Scots Headboard.

Regards

David

60510_IMG_7194B.jpg

60510_IMG_7211B.jpg

• Like 15

56 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi John

Many thanks for the information, I think on my layout due to expense there will be only one although I would love to have all fourteen of them.

Tonights photos concentrate on the only metal kit built locomotive I have, its a PDK A2/1 along with the single A1/1 60113 Great Northern these are the only two classes of LNER Pacific's not available in RTR so far?.

I must admit you can certainly see and feel the quality when handling a metal kit built locomotive its solid construction.

This was built by Paul Hill of PDK some six or more years ago and in that time I have renamed and numbered it from 60509 Waverley to 60510 Robert the Bruce here she is complete with lamps and the Queen of Scots Headboard.

Regards

David

Hi David, I do hope you find more V2s to inhabit 64B. In my opinion the old split frame and DCC-ready Bachmann models were among the best of the era, 1991-2008 for split frame and until recently a couple of DCC-ready upgrades but still with the older body. New model V2s are imminent, I can't wait!

I was intrigued by your A1/1 in metal and can't reall if you have shown it before, but I created one digitally a while back, using various donors and freehand computer art. I have a lot more respect for Thompson now that I have read more about him, having previously taken the conventional and common view of C J Allen and O S Nock that his design skills were qustionable and he had Great Northern rebuilt into a 6' 8" Thompson engine out of spite. In reality I doubt that it was his choice, it would have been the loco superintendent, and the Gresley 4470 was worn out.

My mind changed towards Thompson's favour when an ECML engineman from the 50s-60s whom I know pointed out that many Gresley engines had very poor ride and it required great skill to get the coal 'through the flap' on some engines, citing the nicknames of several; 'Tango' 'Jazzer' 'Ragtimer' among them, not to mention 'Footballers'. He had respect for both Thompson and Gresley.

But I digress.

Here is 'my' A1/1. I look forward to seeing your metal version. And in due course a V2 or two. 

60113_A1_Image18abcd_lateBR_3abcdefg_r2080.jpg.d17d15342474fca7ed56cd37946d86f2.jpg

4470_A1_portrait1_5abcdefg_r2080a.jpg.7f4a9a2f8f22238c4c2bba094c92b039.jpg

cheers

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Hi David, I do hope you find more V2s to inhabit 64B. In my opinion the old split frame and DCC-ready Bachmann models were among the best of the era, 1991-2008 for split frame and until recently a couple of DCC-ready upgrades but still with the older body. New model V2s are imminent, I can't wait!

I was intrigued by your A1/1 in metal and can't reall if you have shown it before, but I created one digitally a while back, using various donors and freehand computer art. I have a lot more respect for Thompson now that I have read more about him, having previously taken the conventional and common view of C J Allen and O S Nock that his design skills were qustionable and he had Great Northern rebuilt into a 6' 8" Thompson engine out of spite. In reality I doubt that it was his choice, it would have been the loco superintendent, and the Gresley 4470 was worn out.

My mind changed towards Thompson's favour when an ECML engineman from the 50s-60s whom I know pointed out that many Gresley engines had very poor ride and it required great skill to get the coal through thhe firebox door on some engines, citing the nicknames of several; 'Tango' 'Jazzer' 'Ragtimer' among them. He had respect for both Thompson and Gresley.

But I digress.

Here is 'my' A1/1. I look forward to seeing your metal version. And in due course a V2 or two. 

60113_A1_Image18abcd_lateBR_3abcdefg_r2080.jpg.d17d15342474fca7ed56cd37946d86f2.jpg

4470_A1_portrait1_5abcdefg_r2080a.jpg.7f4a9a2f8f22238c4c2bba094c92b039.jpg

cheers

Hi Robbie

Your images look amazing.

Sorry I may have mislead you, I don’t have a A1/1 in metal kit form I just commented that along with the A2/1 which I do have and is in my latest photos they are now the only Pacific’s not available at present in RTR.

Also to the best of my knowledge the A1/1 60113 never got to Haymarket in the period I am modelling ie 1958/59.

Yes I have shown photos of the A2/1 locomotive on many occasions both as 60509 Waverley and now as 60510 Robert the Bruce.

I have always had a fascination with Thompsons Designs and was more than pleased to see Hornby produce the A2/2’s and A2/3’s in RTR form.

Regards

David

3 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Thanks David, yes now when I think about it 60113 nee 4470 was regularly used south of Newcastle or York or somewhere down there.   I half expect it to appear in RTR...  it's large, famous, colourful and would sell. :)

Hi Robbie

60113 was a regular visitor to Kings Cross Station when I was transporting there in late  1962 and first half of 1963 but I never saw it.

I may be wrong but I believe it’s final shed was Doncaster 36A, I am sure other members will confirm if I am wrong.

Regards

David

• Agree 2