Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Hi

Today we see Gresley A3 No 60101 Cicero waiting to leave Haymarket MPD.

I do like the look of the A3's especially with double chimney and without the german style smoke deflectors.

This is a Hornby RTR model renamed, renumber and detailed.

Regards

David

60101_IMG_7240B.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

David,

Thanks for the details of your/Tim Shackleton's excellent underframe weathering mix. I will give it a try on the black V2 that I am completing.

Kind regards,

Richard B

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

David,

Thanks for the details of your/Tim Shackleton's excellent underframe weathering mix. I will give it a try on the black V2 that I am completing.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

Your welcome, just make sure you are able to power the wheels either by a battery or a rolling road so you get an even finish to the wheel area behind the rods.

Also run the locomotive as soon as possible, I have had a few instances where I left the model after weathering and the coupling rods got stuck and needed a good clean before They finally moved.

Perhaps you could share some photos when your V2 is completed.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

Hi

Now for some of the smaller locomotives, a J72 No 69014 a St Margaret's MPD based locomotive shunts a single coal wagon below the enormous Coaling tower at Haymarket.

I believe this is an early Bachmann model.

Every structure seen in this photo has been scratch built from archive photos with the exception of the coal tower, this was a Bachmann coal tower which has been considerably altered and detailed.

Regards

David

69014_IMG_7308B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional information
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

I make no apologies for posting yet more photos of Bachmann's D11/2's.

In my opinion these are superb models and as a railway modeller that does not have the skills to build kit locomotives I welcome these especially as they were regularly seen at Haymarket, and 64B had about half a dozen on its book's.

Both models have been weathered and detailed, I was when funds are more available thinking of purchasing a few more D11/2's with the intention of renumbering and renaming them but looking on Ebay their prices have gone up around 50% more than when I purchased these two.

All I want now is a RTR K4 Class Model.

Regards

David

62682_IMG_7281B.jpg

62690_IMG_7293B.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, landscapes said:

In my opinion these are superb models and as a railway modeller that does not have the skills to build kit locomotives I welcome these especially as they were regularly seen at Haymarket, and 64B had about half a dozen on its book's.

Both models have been weathered and detailed, I was when funds are more available thinking of purchasing a few more D11/2's with the intention of renumbering and renaming them but looking on Ebay their prices have gone up around 50% more than when I purchased these two.

Regards

David

62682_IMG_7281B.jpg

62690_IMG_7293B.jpg

The problem could be that by the late 50s nearly all of the Scottish Directors were in store. However, there were lines of them at various places, Longniddry being one, so for you it wouldn't be such a problem after all.  The chimneys would have to be covered though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, great northern said:

The problem could be that by the late 50s nearly all of the Scottish Directors were in store. However, there were lines of them at various places, Longniddry being one, so for you it wouldn't be such a problem after all.  The chimneys would have to be covered though.

Hi Gilbert

According to the late Harry Knox’s book “Steam days at Haymarket” around 1957 there were still 6 members of the class on Haymarket’s books.

in all fairness that’s about one year earlier than my layout time but close enough,  I don’t have the withdrawal dates for those locomotives, I will have to find out if any survived in 1958/59. 

But you  are spot on there were lines of the class stored away for disposal in 1959 Bo’ness was one location and Polmont MPD 64E was another.

What a shame a member of the class was not preserved.

Regards

David

• Like 1

20 hours ago, landscapes said:

Regards

David

62682_IMG_7281B.jpg

62690_IMG_7293B.jpg

Good morning David,

Lovely models and lovely pictures. 

I only ever saw the English 'Directors', but the Scottish ones are certainly impressive.

If you feel up to it, there are several variations you might contemplate..........

2112635171_D1162683-5HaymarketShed31_07_55.jpg.d54919336e9e9dd0c06adb74bb098518.jpg

If ever things like handrails and smokebox door darts altered the 'face' of a loco, here's an example (Haymarket, 1955). Please (all) observe copyright restrictions on this image. 

For a further variation, take a look at the lower picture on page 75 of LNER In Transition, by Michael Blakemore, Pendragon, 2004. This shows LUCKIE MUCLENACKIT with one round and one oval buffer at the front!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning David,

Lovely models and lovely pictures. 

I only ever saw the English 'Directors', but the Scottish ones are certainly impressive.

If you feel up to it, there are several variations you might contemplate..........

2112635171_D1162683-5HaymarketShed31_07_55.jpg.d54919336e9e9dd0c06adb74bb098518.jpg

If ever things like handrails and smokebox door darts altered the 'face' of a loco, here's an example (Haymarket, 1955). Please (all) observe copyright restrictions on this image. 

For a further variation, take a look at the lower picture on page 75 of LNER In Transition, by Michael Blakemore, Pendragon, 2004. This shows LUCKIE MUCLENACKIT with one round and one oval buffer at the front!

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

Thank you for those kind comments.

I know on occasions you have commented on my lack of wiggly pipework on my Pacific locomotives in a very kind and constructive way and try as I have I just cannot seem to make them up but smokebox darts I can do and have replaced them in the past in brass.

I will have a look at the photo you have recommended as an example, and thank you for posting that superb photo of the two D11/2's and at Haymarket MPD as well. 

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sulzer27jd said:

Beautiful work as always David. I must say though, the photos are so much better without the mountain backscene. It just stands out as wrong when I see it and detracts from your fabulous work.

John

Hi John

Thank you, and I agree with your comments but I am looking for ideas for a backdrop and the mountain photo which incidentally I took in Scotland was just one example.

I have quite a long run of fencing to the back of the layout and to blend in a sky background that low just doesn't look right and thats the reason for the mountains at the moment.

I am looking into an Edinburgh skyline but its difficult to find any decent photos or information for what it looked like in the 1958/59 period, that would be my ideal backdrop.

The last two photos I posted work well with the Shed wall, Water Tower and Coal Tower in the background and thats OK for photos in that part of the layout.

Its looking across the main shed and East Yard where I have the problem.

Regards

David

Hi

This is another new photographic angle I am trying out, looking from the office/stores building back towards the main shed building.

Here we see A4 60012 about to leave for Waverley Station complete with the Elizabethan Headboard.

Regards

David

60012_IMG_7370B.jpg

• Like 15

On 27/10/2021 at 21:18, 30368 said:

David,

Kind regards,

Richard B

I use a similar mix on my loco underframes , Richard , often mixing it on the loco. to provide variation . I also use Humbrol  dark rust weathering powder ( sparingly) on areas such as cylinder fronts , brake blocks & ashpans etc. 

The 27004 metallic , when dry , can be polished with a cotton bud to produce a nice sheen . All this has been used on my latest engine ,A2/3 no. 60514 modified from the Hornby " Steady Aim" model . As I wanted a clean  engine she received a complete repaint which transformed the Hornby finish .

Cheers ,

Ray .

P1010595a.jpg

P1010604a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

56 minutes ago, Ray Flintoft said:

I use a similar mix on my loco underframes , Richard , often mixing it on the loco. to provide variation . I also use Humbrol  dark rust weathering powder ( sparingly) on areas such as cylinder fronts , brake blocks & ashpans etc. 

The 27004 metallic , when dry , can be polished with a cotton bud to produce a nice sheen . All this has been used on my latest engine ,A2/3 no. 60514 modified from the Hornby " Steady Aim" model . As I wanted a clean  engine she received a complete repaint which transformed the Hornby finish .

Cheers ,

Ray .

P1010595a.jpg

P1010604a.jpg

Hi Ray

Thank you for posting your photos, you have done a fabulous weathering job on 60514.

I have purchased one of the new Hornby A2/2's No 60501 but I haven't actually seen one of the new A2/3's and the repainting of your model certainly improve its appearance considerably.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
more information
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ray Flintoft said:

I use a similar mix on my loco underframes , Richard ,

Thanks very much Ray and David.

I will post a picture or two of my V2 when finished so thanks for the invite David.

Kind regards,

Richard

15 hours ago, 30368 said:

Thanks very much Ray and David.

I will post a picture or two of my V2 when finished so thanks for the invite David.

Kind regards,

Richard

Thankyou both David& Richard for your kind comments . My intention with 60514 was to portray a clean engine with rather worn paintwork ; I hope I have succeeded in this . I forgot to mention that I always paint valve gear with Railmatch oily steel to which can be added matt black & rust depending on how dirty you want the engine to appear , This gives that oily shine I remember from steam days .

Many thanks to David for allowing fellow members to post their work on his site & I look forward to seeing Richard's V.2 . A braver man than I to take on the Proscale kit !!

Cheers ,

Ray . 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Thankyou both David& Richard for your kind comments . My intention with 60514 was to portray a clean engine with rather worn paintwork ; I hope I have succeeded in this . I forgot to mention that I always paint valve gear with Railmatch oily steel to which can be added matt black & rust depending on how dirty you want the engine to appear , This gives that oily shine I remember from steam days .

Many thanks to David for allowing fellow members to post their work on his site & I look forward to seeing Richard's V.2 . A braver man than I to take on the Proscale kit !!

Cheers ,

Ray . 

Hi Ray

Thank you and the kind comments are well deserved your A2/3 60514 looks superb you have done a brilliant job on it.

As Tony Wright always says I don’t own this thread so please feel free to post any photos of your locomotives on here, the same goes for Richard as well the more the merrier as far as I am concerned.

I am sure other members who look at this thread would also welcome to see other model locomotives as well as mine all the time.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 27/10/2021 at 19:21, landscapes said:

Hi

Today we see Gresley A3 No 60101 Cicero waiting to leave Haymarket MPD.

I do like the look of the A3's especially with double chimney and without the german style smoke deflectors.

This is a Hornby RTR model renamed, renumber and detailed.

Regards

David

60101_IMG_7240B.jpg

A lovely model, David.

Just one point; as supplied, Hornby provides two sets of guard irons on the bogie (as can be seen). The outer ones represent the frame-mounted ones of earlier times (all gone by later BR days), judged to be superfluous because of the bogie-mounted ones behind. These outer ones are held in place by a screw, which is easily removed, making the effect much more realistic.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi

Today we have V1 67610 standing on the turntable, this is a standard Bachmann RTR V1 class and I was fortunate that this model was actually a Haymarket allocated locomotive.

I am not sure if I have overdone the weathering on this model for the 1958/59 period as Haymarket was know for it's clean locomotives?

Regards

David

67610_IMG_7504B.jpg

• Like 13

I have also spend some considerable time trying to find yard lights that look similar to the ones Haymarket MPD had.

I finally found some made by "Layouts4u" although not the same there are about as close as I can get and at £7.00 for two units I thought that was very reasonable.

Each yard light has two LED's, I have considered detailing them further to try to improve the similarity this would be achieved with brass wire and small plastic sections, but I am not sure it will be worth all the bother and whether I have the skills to do it as I require fourteen yard light in total.

Photos enclosed showing the new yard light and my very rough sketch trying to show the detailing required.

Regards

David

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

I saw in the railway journals this month that A4 60009 Union of South Africa a long term Haymarket A4 and used on the Elizabethan Express many time has now been withdrawn from main line service.

So here is my version of her in better days sitting on Haymarket's iconic turntable, this model is a Hornby RTR A4 which I have renamed and renumbered.

Regards

David 

60009_IMG_7449B.jpg

• Like 10

There was a really good article in one of the historical prototype railway magazines that stated in the 1959 - 61 period that "magnificent" Merlin was used extensively on Elizabethan runs  and  UoSA and Kingfisher in second and third place.