Haymarket 64B

landscapes

43 minutes ago, davidw said:

There was a really good article in one of the historical prototype railway magazines that stated in the 1959 - 61 period that "magnificent" Merlin was used extensively on Elizabethan runs  and  UoSA and Kingfisher in second and third place. 

Hi David

Thank you for that information, as I am modelling the 1958/59 period your information works quite well for me.

I do have A4’s 60027 & 60009 in model form but 60024 is still to be obtained some time in the future.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Spelling
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi David

Thank you for that information, as I am modelling the 1958/59 period your information works quite well for me.

I do have A4’s 60027 & 60009 in model form but 60024 is still to be obtained some time in the future.8

Regards

David

You can't model Haymarket and not have 60024 David :wink_mini:

Here's my model on LB

IMG_0175.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi David

I do have A4’s 60027 & 60009 in model form but 60024 is still to be obtained some time in the future.

Regards

David

2 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Here's my model on LB

IMG_0175.jpeg

I used to have 60024 and 60011.  As I model further down south I renamed one to 60010 Dominion of Canada and the other to 60030 Golden fleece. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidw said:

I used to have 60024 and 60011.  As I model further down south I renamed one to 60010 Dominion of Canada and the other to 60030 Golden fleece. 

Hi David

I have the following A4’s 60009, 60010, 60011, 60012, 60017, 60027,  60028 and 60031.

A mixture of home based Haymarket A4’s plus some visiting Kings Cross ones.

I did have 60004 which I renamed and re numbered but then realised it had the wrong tender for 60004 so I renamed and numbered it to 60028.

I also had A4 60023 but that’s now scrapped as part of lower front body came away and cannot be fixed back.

Regards

David

4 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Here's my model on LB

IMG_0175.jpeg

Hi Dylan

A very nice looking A4 and it certainly looks at home on Tony’s superb Little Bytham layout.

Regards

David

• Like 1

1 minute ago, landscapes said:

Hi David

I have the following A4’s 60009, 60010, 60011, 60012, 60017, 60027,  60028 and 60031.

A mixture of home based Haymarket A4’s plus some visiting Kings Cross ones.

I did have 60004 which I renamed and re numbered but then realised it had the wrong tender for 60004 so I renamed and numbered it to 60028.

I also had A4 60023 but that’s now scrapped as part of lower front body came away and cannot be fixed back.

Regards

David

Sorry about  60023 . 

Body issue or chassis?

I've 60001, 60005, 60006, 60009, 60010, 60014, 60015, 60017, 60019, 60021, 60022, 60025, 60026, 60029, 

60030, 60033

plus the W1, probably far more than I need, I'll thin them down in due course and replace with v2s and thompsons.

1 hour ago, davidw said:

Sorry about  60023 . 

Body issue or chassis?

I've 60001, 60005, 60006, 60009, 60010, 60014, 60015, 60017, 60019, 60021, 60022, 60025, 60026, 60029, 

60030, 60033

plus the W1, probably far more than I need, I'll thin them down in due course and replace with v2s and thompsons.

Hi David

You certainly have a fair amount of A4’s nearly half the class.

60023 had a body issue, it was the lower front section that houses the front buffers that came away and will not fit back into position for some reason.

So it’s now spare parts.

I have seen photos of your W1 on Tony’s little Bytham layout and it looks superb 

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Spelling

I am not sure if I have photographed this model before, it's RTR A3 60100 Spearmint another long term Haymarket A3.

I renamed and numbered this loco some time ago, and have no idea the identity of the original model.

And I have just realised the position of the B1's bogie wheels just behind

Regards

David

60100_IMG_7608B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
additional information
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

I am not sure if I have photographed this model before, it's RTR A3 60100 Spearmint another long term Haymarket A3.

I renamed and numbered this loco some time ago, and have no idea the identity of the original model.

And I have just realised the position of the B1's bogie wheels just behind

Regards

David

60100_IMG_7608B.jpg

A well remembered engine for me David. Copped during an illicit visit to the Crimpsall in August 58. The only time we ever got in without a permit. 60100 was in a side alcove as I recall. The main building was always busy, so we kept away from there. How lucky am I to have such memories?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, great northern said:

A well remembered engine for me David. Copped during an illicit visit to the Crimpsall in August 58. The only time we ever got in without a permit. 60100 was in a side alcove as I recall. The main building was always busy, so we kept away from there. How lucky am I to have such memories?

Hi Gilbert

please forgive my ignorance but where is Crimpsall it’s a place I haven’t heard of before.

I didn’t start train spotting until mid 1962, how I wish I could have gone to Kings Cross Station in 1958 for starters the Elizabethan was still running bringing rare Scottish Pacific’s to London by 1962 it had all stopped.

My First Haymarket cop was 60009 in 1964 when it pulled the Jubilee Requiem special.

Kings Cross Top she’d had closed by 1964 so it was stored overnight at Hornsey MPD.

As you have already said great memories.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

please forgive my ignorance but where is Crimpsall it’s a place I haven’t heard of before.

I didn’t start train spotting until mid 1962, how I wish I could have gone to Kings Cross Station in 1958 for starters the Elizabethan was still running bringing rare Scottish Pacific’s to London by 1962 it had all stopped.

My First Haymarket cop was 60009 in 1964 when it pulled the Jubilee Requiem special.

Kings Cross Top she’d had closed by 1964 so it was stored overnight at Hornsey MPD.

As you have already said great memories.

Regards

David

The Crimpsall was the main loco overhaul area at Doncaster Plant. A very impressive building, which could house several Pacifics in various stages of repair, and cause heated arguments as to what did, and what did not, constitute a cop. One one occasion, an official visit this time, the first thing we saw was a pair of smoke deflectors leaning against a wall. Pearl Diver was the name, a cop indeed. However, as we walked up and down the lines of stripped down locos, we did not find any other parts of the loco at all. Normally the cab would be attached to the frames, so one could verify from cabside number, but not this time. Could one claim a cop just from a pair of smoke deflectors? The argument is probably still rumbling on.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, great northern said:

The Crimpsall was the main loco overhaul area at Doncaster Plant. A very impressive building, which could house several Pacifics in various stages of repair, and cause heated arguments as to what did, and what did not, constitute a cop. One one occasion, an official visit this time, the first thing we saw was a pair of smoke deflectors leaning against a wall. Pearl Diver was the name, a cop indeed. However, as we walked up and down the lines of stripped down locos, we did not find any other parts of the loco at all. Normally the cab would be attached to the frames, so one could verify from cabside number, but not this time. Could one claim a cop just from a pair of smoke deflectors? The argument is probably still rumbling on.

Hi Gilbert

Thank you for the explanation, I know Doncaster works and plant but never Crimpsall.

I did visit Doncaster Station in 1964 for a days trainspotting we left from Kings Cross.

But I cannot remember much about the day, I do believe we visited the MPD but not the works.

I was eleven at the time and steam was definitely in decline.

Regards

David

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 08/11/2021 at 20:55, landscapes said:

So here is a smoke photoshopped version to hide the mistake.

Regards

David

60100_IMG_7608S.jpg

Hi

I am intrigued by the response to the last couple of photo I have put on the thread with photoshopped smoke added, the numbers of people liking the photos are well below that of the same photograph without smoke.

As my interest in railway photography both model and life-size is a great as my interest on railway modelling I really do enjoy adding a backgrounds and occasionally smoke as well.

I would love to hear from other members with their views on the subject of added smoke no matter what that view is?

Regards

David

On 08/11/2021 at 11:44, landscapes said:

I saw in the railway journals this month that A4 60009 Union of South Africa a long term Haymarket A4 and used on the Elizabethan Express many time has now been withdrawn from main line service.

So here is my version of her in better days sitting on Haymarket's iconic turntable, this model is a Hornby RTR A4 which I have renamed and renumbered.

Regards

David 

60009_IMG_7449B.jpg

Not only has No.9 been withdrawn from the mainline, a year ago, she has now been withdrawn completely following a tube failure. Under the owners plans for her it is unlikely whether she nor the Great Marquis will ever steam again. Very sad, but that is the owners preoperative. 

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Not only has No.9 been withdrawn from the mainline, a year ago, she has now been withdrawn completely following a tube failure. Under the owners plans for her it is unlikely whether she nor the Great Marquis will ever steam again. Very sad, but that is the owners preoperative. 

Hi

Thank you for that information, I knew she was being withdrawn from main line service but did not know she had a mechanical problem.

I totally agree it’s very sad when two well know and liked locomotives are withdrawn from service possibly for ever.

I will just have to keep my version of 60009 running.instead.

Regards

David

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Thank you for that information, I knew she was being withdrawn from main line service but did not know she had a mechanical problem.

I totally agree it’s very sad when two well know and liked locomotives are withdrawn from service possibly for ever.

I will just have to keep my version of 60009 running.instead.

Regards

David

She only had a month or two left on her boiler ticket. It was decided not to attempt what would have been a complicated (expensive) repair for just a handful of final steamings.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 08/11/2021 at 14:47, landscapes said:

Sorry, but 60009 wasn’t a Haymarket engine by 1964. It had been at Ferryhill since summer 1962. 60009 and 60011 were the first A4s used on the 3 hour trains from the Aberdeen end. We got fed up seeing one or other of them on the 5.30 out of Buchanan Street.

7 minutes ago, pH said:

Sorry, but 60009 wasn’t a Haymarket engine by 1964. It had been at Ferryhill since summer 1962. 60009 and 60011 were the first A4s used on the 3 hour trains from the Aberdeen end. We got fed up seeing one or other of them on the 5.30 out of Buchanan Street.

Hi

I was referring that 60009 was my first Haymarket based locomotive and not that is was allocated there in 1964 when I first saw her.

Sorry I didn’t make myself clear, but you are correct A4 60009 was based at Aberdeen Ferry Hill at that time.

incidentally the only other A4 I saw that was at one time allocated to 64B was 60024 Kingfisher.

Thank you for correcting my mistake.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Spelling
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi

I was referring that 60009 was my first Haymarket based locomotive and not that is was allocated there in 1964 when I first saw her.

Sorry I didn’t make myself clear, but you are correct A4 60009 was based at Aberdeen Ferry Hill at that time.

incidentally the only other A4 I saw that was at one time allocated to 64B was 60024 Kingfisher.

Thank you for correcting my mistake.

Regards

David

Hi Pete

You got me thinking about A4 60009, I put a photo of my model version of 60009 but I do have photos of her in preservation..

I will try to find one and put that on the thread as later.

Regards

David

As I said earlier here are a couple of photos of A4 60009 Union of South Africa in better days when she was in service around the network

The first photo was taken at a gala day on the Severn Valley Railway and the second photo was at a Photographers charter held at Barrow Hill, both photo taken some time ago.

Regards

David

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_0794_edited-1.jpg

• Like 8

On 10/11/2021 at 17:51, landscapes said:

Hi

I am intrigued by the response to the last couple of photo I have put on the thread with photoshopped smoke added, the numbers of people liking the photos are well below that of the same photograph without smoke.

As my interest in railway photography both model and life-size is a great as my interest on railway modelling I really do enjoy adding a backgrounds and occasionally smoke as well.

I would love to hear from other members with their views on the subject of added smoke no matter what that view is?

Regards

David

Hi David ,

I'm totally o.k. with added smoke & steam , especially when it is done as well as you do . I'm just as happy with photos as they come , complete with background walls , doors & messy work benches , but if you enjoy adding effects then keep them coming .

Regarding 60009 it has just been reported that her owner , John Cameron , is in hospital after suffering a nasty fall from a ladder in his garden. I'm sure we all wish him a speedy recovery as we owe him so much .

Cheers ,

Ray. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 10/11/2021 at 17:51, landscapes said:

Hi

Regards

David

Good evening David,

Having tried smoke effects on models' pictures myself (probably badly), I'm of the opinion that it adds nothing of merit to a photograph. It just looks phoney.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Ray & Tony for your comments regarding added smoke effect's.

Sorry to hear about John Cameron’s accident and agree with Ray in wishing him a speedy recovery.

I must admit I do enjoy the challenge in attempting to make the photos look as realistic as possible with the smoke, but I cannot argue against Tony’s comment and at the end of the day they are still just models locomotives.

Regards

Dzvid

On 13/11/2021 at 10:02, landscapes said:

Thank you Ray & Tony for your comments regarding added smoke effect's.

Sorry to hear about John Cameron’s accident and agree with Ray in wishing him a speedy recovery.

I must admit I do enjoy the challenge in attempting to make the photos look as realistic as possible with the smoke, but I cannot argue against Tony’s comment and at the end of the day they are still just models locomotives.

Regards

Dzvid

Hi David, a valid option in my opinion, and with due respect for copyright, is to use a ptototype photo, or sections of several, and paste a photo of a model onto it, with hand-computer mouse painted touching up...  Here are some examples; a Hornby/Jouef H0 241P SNCF 4-8-2, an Intermmountain H0 Southern Pacific AC8 4-8-8-2 in Colorado c1950, and a BR green Hornby Duchess.  It may be phoney, it may look phoney to some, but I enjoy it. Sometimes I just go for atmosphere.  My memories of steam begin in 1953 as a 3 year old standing on a footbridge and being covered in smoke, very exciting! :)

Altogether most enjoyable and I like your thread.

241P_showimage_4a_r2080a.jpg.df2f9463c96bb17e9f47a40972b21b94.jpg

4186_AC8_SP_freight_at_speed_2_2abcdef_r2080a.jpg.b1af13d33410bf972c40e5080ab3f52f.jpg

46239_duchess_portrait21_2ab_r2080a.jpg.bd5ed799a726f23692d4774757286857.jpg

Gives an idea of some of the options, I even have several at Haymarket...    but I certainly don't think 'adding smoke' is all that easy, 

And just to try to bring a little bit of balance back to what is an Eastern Region thread at least, here is Hornby's stunning A2/3 60523 'Sun Castle' at speed in a purely imaginary piece of English countryside.   :)

60523_A2_countrty_12abcd_r2080a.jpg.b3f8cb0a093ed5e559afa21a67447493.jpg

I enjoy the flowers and texture of grass, hard to model indeed. As some know I have injuries which limit my modelling, I used to be ok with two hands but it's harder with one and a bit.   Thus the computer is my choice of modelling, together with our amazing RTR models, it's very satisfying at times. :)

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1