Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Good Evening All

Trying to build a prototype layout of Haymarket MPD in 4mm scale is proving rather harder than I first thought.

This is the first time I have ever tried to construct a model railway building.

For starters at 4mm scale the actual shed building would measure 1200mm x 510mm in size which makes the model building rather unstable, so I cut down the ten transverse pitched roof sections to six so the shed building will now measure 720mm x 510mm which also save some considerable cost in materials as well.

This is I might add a very long term retirement project for me, which is just as well because the costs are quite high having to have certain items specially made such as the shed arched windows and the high level circular vent windows,

I have tried to match the brick colour as near as possible using Metcalf brick card sheets in red and blue engineering, this was far cheaper and easier to construct rather than using plastic sheet due to size and cut outs for the many windows.

So here we are the two main side walls are nearing completion.so I thought I would publish a few photos as follows.

More photos to follow later as the project progresses

Regards

David

post-6557-0-52600200-1346097953.jpg

post-6557-0-46310900-1346097970.jpg

post-6557-0-07083600-1346097986.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 18

You've set yourself an interesting project, which I will be following, as the wife's uncle was a driver at Haymarket in steam days, and I have always had a soft spot for this shed- who wouldn't?!. If that is your first attempt at buildings, then I reckon you can join Coachmann in doing masterclasses in construction- look forward to more photos.

Hi Ben Alder

Thank you for your kind comments, it may sound strange coming from someone born in London but I have also always had a fascination for Haymarket MPD and it's allocation of Pacific's.

I saw quite a few Pacific's in the early sixties around Kings Cross Station but very few were from 64B, and it was just too far for me to travel to at the age of ten years old.

The shed roof structure is my next problem, not having any high level photo's of the shed roof light locations and also getting a good quality finish for the roof tiles.

Harry Knox's two books on Haymarket have really been a great source of information for me, I do not think I would have got this far without the many fantastic photos in both books.

Regards

David

Hi

The windows were specially made in 0.7mm thick white plastic by York Modelmaking Ltd as I wanted the exact size and design that were fitted into the shed building at Haymarket MPD but in 4mm scale.

I would recommend York Modelmaking they were very helpful in producing exactly what I wanted, most plastic windows have a small outer frame around their perimeter but that makes it difficult to fit them into a recess, York Modelmaking made the windows a little bit thicker than normal to meet my requirements of no plastic edging around the outside face.

Hope that helps.

Regards

David

• Like 2

Good Morning

A small amount of progress today while I am working on the front and rear MPD walls, I have made the five box gutters that will sit between the transverse roof sections and run full length from side wall to side wall.

These will also help to support the central beams that will run full length centrally between each of the eight roads in the shed building, they will also act as extra support for the roof sections when complete.

The box gutters are quite simply 8mm wide plastic channel sections bonded to a small hard wood strip the give some extra rigidity, then painted dark grey.

Photo enclosed indicating the end section, not a great photo but gives an idea of how it works

Regards

David

post-6557-0-95184200-1346149564.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

More Progress on the shed building for Haymarket 64B, the main four walls are now nearly completed and I am pleased that they actually all fit together quite well.

I enclose a few more photos with resident locomotives A4 60012 Commonwealth of Australia and A3 60097 Humorist on show, these were included to give a scale to the building and as you can see two pacific locomotives can be easily accommodated within the MPD.

I have also shown the five box gutters which will be cut down to size and located on the internal columns, these will also act as supports for the main roof when completed.

A point of interest is that had I built them model in 4mm scale to the real shed size it would have measured 1200mm in length and had ten transverse roof units instead of six as shown, this I believe would have been just to big for a model layout.

More photos to come in due course.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-27968200-1347028374.jpg

post-6557-0-40564800-1347028387.jpg

post-6557-0-35194700-1347028402.jpg

• Like 19

Hi Guys

This may sound strange but I just decided to build a prototype of Haymarket MP shed at 4mm scale as something to do during my retirement, I have carried out a lot of investigation work so I know the layout of the MPD very well now using reference books.

I thought I would construct the main shed building and if I am happy with the final result then built up a prototype layout around it of Haymarket if not there is always EBay.

The main reason is I have a very large loft area but we may be moving house in the near future so I do not want to carry out loft work and a model railway layout only to have to dismantle it all in the near future.

Tom I would love the space you have for Leaman road at the present time or even better to have the space Gilbert has for Peterborough North.

I will complete this project and then go onto some of the other depot buildings including the coal stage and very large water tank.

I have thoroughly enjoyed making the project so far, but ultimately I would like a full layout similar to what Tom has done for Leaman Road but I may have to wait until the house move is finalised.

One last thing its all you guys and your enthusiasm in your own layouts and projects that's a great source of inspiration for me.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just come across this as the gardening work, after all the recent rain, has been been taking up a great deal of my time of late.

I can second Ben Alder's comments and will follow your progress with interest. As you will be aware there is plenty of work ahead of you but with steady progress you will get there especially with all that free time in retirement (or so it is believed!).

Look forward to more updates.

• Like 1

Hi Merlin

Many thanks I take that as a great compliment coming from you as it was an article in the BRM model railway journal in 2009 on your layout Longdrem that gave me the interest in starting this type of project.

My main problem now is finding more information on the main shed building such as the roof detail and some of the less photographed areas of Haymarket such as the small out buildings along the north shed wall.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Hi David,

I have been looking into doing a layout inspired by Haymarket station and MPD around the late 50's early 60's era... Your MPD shed looks very nice. I don't think I have the skill to be able to scratch build to the extent that you have. I know that there are several books which focus on the MPD itself.

Steam Days by Harry Knox

http://books.google.com.au/books/about/Steam_Days_at_Haymarket.html?id=4P0CGQAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

quite a good one.

Regards

Jules

Great looking building. It would be a shame for it not to be accompanied by the rest of the depot. Have you looked for a local club? Perhaps someone there will share your interest and collaborate on the track and baseboards. If you use an open frame modular construction you could make it light even if the boards are on the big side, it would be transportable therefore easy to move house with.

Hi David,

I have been looking into doing a layout inspired by Haymarket station and MPD around the late 50's early 60's era... Your MPD shed looks very nice. I don't think I have the skill to be able to scratch build to the extent that you have. I know that there are several books which focus on the MPD itself.

Steam Days by Harry Knox

http://books.google.com.au/books/about/Steam_Days_at_Haymarket.html?id=4P0CGQAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

quite a good one.

Regards

Jules

Hi Jules

Thank you for your reply, I do have copies of both of Harry Knox's book on Haymarket MPD, I would recommend them both to anyone interested in Motive Power Depots in the late 1950's.

I am also very fortunate to have Harry actually advising me with some of the problems I have incurred since starting the project, which has been a great help.

My advise would be have a go at the project you want to do, this is the first time I have ever constructed a model railway building, with plenty of investigation work before you start you will be surprised at what you can achieve.

I am no expert on model railways but if you need any help in any way I would be happy to explain in more detail to you what I have done to get this far with the project.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Great looking building. It would be a shame for it not to be accompanied by the rest of the depot. Have you looked for a local club? Perhaps someone there will share your interest and collaborate on the track and baseboards. If you use an open frame modular construction you could make it light even if the boards are on the big side, it would be transportable therefore easy to move house with.

Hi

Again many thanks for your reply, if all goes well with the main shed building I do intend to scratch build as many of the smaller outer buildings that Haymarket MPD had as I can, including the large water tank, and items such as the turntable and the coaling tower I hope to install using products produced by the larger railway manufacturers and maybe adapt them to suit.

I then hope to put the whole project together to form a slightly reduced in size model layout of the MPD how it was in the 1950's as I already have about twelve Haymarket based Hornby and Bachmann Pacific locomotives, plus a few interlopers from other depots and I need somewhere for them all.

I do see this as a long term retirement project.

Regards

David

• Like 1

That sounds ideal.

For turntables, have you looked at the Metalsmiths offerings? Kit built, or ready built, they are brilliant models of the UK prototype.

Edited by JeffP

That sounds ideal.

For turntables, have you looked at the Metalsmiths offerings? Kit built, or ready built, they are brilliant models of the UK prototype.

Hi JeffP

I have just had a look at Metalsmiths website, excellent products many thanks for the information.

As I have just ordered a Thompson A2/2 to be made up by PDK Models I'm afraid the turntable costs will have to wait a while but they do look very good and quite a selection as well

Regards

David

Good Afternoon All

A very small additional item to Haymarket MD and sorry about the poor quality of the two photos taken on my IPhone.

These are brick on edge strips specially made for me by York Modelmaking Ltd, as I said a very small item but painted and when fitted they will enable me to finally fix the four walls together, they are made from .75mm strips of white Romark plastic approx 170mm in length.

I wanted to build the model as accurate as I can and each High level brick projection on the end gable walls just above the circular louvred windows has a second line below of blue engineering brick on edge.

The two photos enclosed show how they are supplied by York Modelmaking and the finished item painted in Humbrol Blue Acrylic paint (No 104) then over painted in Modelmates White Brick Joint Filler the highlight the mortar coursing.

These strips were also used to form a brick on edge cill below the main side arched windows, but painted in brick red.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-41540200-1347800154.jpg

post-6557-0-69596400-1347800173.jpg

Edited by landscapes

• 3 weeks later...

Good Afternoon

More progress on Haymarket 64B, all four walls are now fully completed and glued together, the next stage is the internal structure.

This consists of the main and cross beams supported on columns which run down the centre of the severn walkways between the eight shed roads running the full length of the MPD.

I have spent quite a lot of time working out the size equivalent at 4mm using plastic sections then found B & Q had all the sizes I required in timber sections at a third of the price.

I enclose two photos.

Photo MPD4 is a close up of a typical wall section which includes the brick on edge strip mentioned in my last post and the old window cills at low level which were left in-situ when the main shed side windows were reduced in height.

Photo MPD5 indicates the four walls now all bonded together and shows one of the severn main support beams which will also help support the box gutters also indicated and the internal gable wall roof support angle brackets.

Photos are not great as taken with an IPhone in bright sunlight.

The next job is to cut out 35 columns all 64mm high using 6mm Dowel Rod which will be recessed into the main support beams which are 4mm x 12mm timber flat sections.

The whole internal structure when completed will be sprayed in a combination of light and dark grey before weathering takes place.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-12169600-1349359726.jpg

post-6557-0-21495600-1349359746.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Good Morning all

Sorry there has been very little progress on the main shed building for Haymarket for some time now due to Son and Daughter-in-Law moving in with us until their new home in ready, complete with all of their furniture and their house cat that likes to steal small modelling items, carry them of and hide them.

This week has seen some more progress on the interior structure, I have now made up the main beam framework complete with end wall plates.

My next task is to fit in the cross beams and support columns, I thought I had found a cheap option with the columns using B & Q 6mm dowel rod but when I put them against the beams they just looked to bulky so I have now change them to 4mm plastic hollow circuler sections which look just about right.

I hope to have the main structure all completed within the next week ready to be spray painted grey and weathered.

I enclose two photos indicating the main beams and end wall plates with temporary pins to hold them in position while the PVA glue sets, they will sit lower into the main building flush with the top of the end walls.

I have also found out that shed roads 7 & 8 were partitioned of to form a smoke free maintenance area so I need to construct some internal partitions clad in a look alike asbestos sheeting material.

Again sorry for the poor quality of photos taken with my out of date IPhone or so my Son tells me.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-58037400-1351682069.jpg

post-6557-0-25593100-1351682094.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 7

Hi David

It's looking very nice! :yes:

Are you going to make the interior viewable? I'm in discussions about making Leaman Road's shed have a removable roof to allow viewing of the interior, but mine is only 5 roads....mine will look like a branch line shed compared to yours!

Looking impressive already! :)

Hi David,

Very impressive and nice to see the progress. Maybe your family can help in the building since you have it displayed on the dining table.

Looking forward to seeing more. My shed's only 4 roads.

Mark in OZ

Hi David

It's looking very nice! :yes:

Are you going to make the interior viewable? I'm in discussions about making Leaman Road's shed have a removable roof to allow viewing of the interior, but mine is only 5 roads....mine will look like a branch line shed compared to yours!

Looking impressive already! :)

Hi Tom

Many thanks

I have been giving the roof some thought as I could have a big problem if there is a derailment in the middle of the shed as its 725mm long.

Adding to the access problem is the 35 x 4mm Dia columns that need to be fixed in place to support the main and cross beams.

My thinking is that I will probably have the two middle sections of the roof removable to gain access also as you have pointed out it would be nice to view the shed interior when it's all completed.

I must say Leaman Road is looking very good.

Regards

David