Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Hi David,

Very impressive and nice to see the progress. Maybe your family can help in the building since you have it displayed on the dining table.

Looking forward to seeing more. My shed's only 4 roads.

Mark in OZ

Many thanks Mark for your kind words of encouragement.

Regards

David

Good afternoon all.

I am hoping for some of your expert opinions regarding I minor problem I am experiencing in the construction of my Haymarket 64B shed building.

I recently put on the blog some photos indicating the new main shed beams which are made from 12mm x 4mm pine sections from B & Q these were a much cheaper option than using a plastic section, also I could make the beams in one length rather than joining them as I would have to do with plastic.

I will also have cross beams spanning between the main beams at 120mm centres from the same 12mm x 4mm sections.

I hope you are still with me at this point, the whole beam framework will be supported on 4mm dia hollow plastic section columns, 35 in total each 64mm high.

The problem I have is securing the top of the columns to the underside of the pine beams, my idea was to create a collar 12mm x 12mm x 4mm thick from the pine sections and drill a centre hole 4mm in dia , this would act as a platform to secure the glued beams at each intersection and at the same time secure to top of the columns by gluing them and recessing them into the 4mm thick pine.

I have tried this method this morning and I cannot achieve the end quality of product I want.

Is anyone aware of any modelling companies that would produce some type of collar to fix to the column tops or a ready made column complete with a top section I could secure to the underside of the beam framework.

I enclose one of my early sketches (please ignore the dimensions as these have changed) that hopefully will give you an idea of what I am trying to explain and achieve at the same time.

Sorry about the long winded explanation and I hope someone can supply an alternative solution or a supplier of ready made columns.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-53591000-1351862322_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

A bit more progress over the last week or so.

Following my request for help with fixing the columns to the underside of the pine beams which unusually for RM Webb brought no replies or results, i spoke to my friend Gareth who runs Replica Railways in Swindon and he came up with a great solution to my problem.

I already had 4.5mm plastic hollow columns and 12 x 4mm Pine beams the question was how to fix the two items together.

Gareth suggested using 3.8mm brass rod pins approx 30mm in length, 20mm of which fit snugly into the top of the plastic column the other 10mm was reduced down to 1.8mm dia by using a file and my electric drill, I then drilled a series of holes in the underside of the beams the columns were inserted and glued into position.

I also added a 5mm dia steel washer to the column top just to give a larger surface to glue and hold all the detail together.

I enclose a selection of photos which should give a better idea of the process, the last photo shows half of the columns now in place in the shed building.

That's the nice thing about scratch building having a problem and finding a solution.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-87580900-1352992504_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-75228900-1352992530_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-00715100-1352992563_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-20340800-1352992601_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-72277600-1352992644_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-90496200-1352992837_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 7

I've only just seen this, but would have advocated using 3mm ABS sheet, (or two 1.5mm sheets gued together), marking out carefully, drilling, scoring and snapping off.

The timber would have been fastened together with either half-lapped joints, or straight butt joints made with PVA woodglue, the whole lot seured to the pillars with Evo-Stik or simialr.

Edited by JeffP

Hi JeffP

Thanks for your reply, I did consider half lapped joints between the main and cross beams but went for the butt joint option not having a small very sharp chisel.

Also as the cross beams support the plastic channel box gutters, I glued each one to the underside of the channel sections and this has tied them in nicely.

The whole project is taking a lot longer then I thought it would but being retired now I am in no hurry and I want the building to look right.

As I am putting the last pieces of the internal structure together it now gives me a chance to give the roof structure and finishes some consideration as these have got to look right.

I am also thinking about installing smoke units and LED lighting to the shed interior as well.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening all

I have now been put on a time limit to get my model shed of Haymarket out and off the dining room table and into the loft before Christmas Day by she who must be obeyed.

Anyway I now have most of the internal structure completed and sprayed.

I designed a small template that allows me to cut the I plastic channel roof support beams at the correct angle, height and width so each one is exactly the same as each other, ready for the ridge beams (that will hold the whole construction together) to be fixed in place.

I enclose a photo of the template I made from plywood plus a photo indicating the first few support beams in place.

Since taking these photos this morning most of the roof work is now completed, more photos to follow.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-11858100-1354730681_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-93910000-1354730789_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Good evening all.

This is as good a time as any to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a happy 2013.

More progress this week and things are finally starting to take shape now.

I have finally finished all the internal structure which has now been sprayed using Tamiya Battleship Gray paint.

I have also made a start on the twelve roof panels, these have been cut out of 1.5mm thick Daler Rowney white card, i was going to use Gray card but thought I would be able to see the pencil lines easier and the whole roof is going to be painted Gray anyway.

Work still to be completed apart from the remaining roof panels is as follows.

Fascia boards, gutters and RW pipes to the East and West walls.

I still also have to sort out material for the coping stones to the side gable walls as well.

For roof slates I going to try the same method as Sandside's building's on his Bacup layout which I think are superb and the quality and finish speaks for it's self.

A point of interest the two middle sections of roof will be removable for any possible derailment problems and for photographic purposes as well.

I sill have to construct the roof lights for the cut outs and glaze them with clear film stuck on using Johnson's Klear.

There is also hopefully internal and external lights to be fitted.

Anyway I enclose a couple of photos taken this evening which will show what has been done so far, I have cut out the ridge smoke vents and windowless roof lights to the east wall roof elevation.

I was hoping to take some decent photos in sunlight but the weather today in Swindon has been very foggy all day so I hope to do that in the next few days.

And the model is still on the dining room table and the Christmas clock is ticking away.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-48156300-1355253601_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-99663300-1355253627_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 15

Quality understated and intricate work David - that should be rewarded in more than 2 pages of interest.

Went to Haymarket on a school trip in 1977 (our history teacher - Mr Biggs - no relation! was a rail buff :) ) have faded memories seeing Union of SA in bits on shed at that time....

Excellent

Ian

Thank you for those kind words Ian

One of my biggest regrets was not to have had the opportunity to visit Haymarket MPD in it's last years of steam.

I was lucky enough to visit King's Cross Top Shed in early 1963 unofficially, what a sight, lines and lines of pacific locomotives.

When the main shed building is complete I would like to have a go at building the large water tank the depot had until the 1960's which was situated by the side of the main shed building south wall.

Regards

David

As a child, living as I did within reach of the mid point of the ECML, albeit by a train ride, I can still remember the thrill of seeing a Haymarket 'streak' on the summer timetable up Elizabethan - the Lizzie - in the late fifties and early 60's. And they were almost always in lovely external condition, unlike those of Gateshead.

I was lucky enough to 'do' the Edinburgh sheds on a summer Sunday, in 1961, and Haymarket was just memorable.

Watching this model develop brings back the memories of that day, now more than fifty years ago, yet, like so many of those days, still fresh and clear in the memory.

I suspect that this model will join Peterborough North, Leaman Road, Grantham, etc. in achieving that rarest of results from the building of a model.

It will simply 'tell it just like it was' and it doesn't get better than that.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

Many thanks Eric and Mike your kind words of encouragement.

As I have my Son & Daughter-in-Law staying with us now until next May I have to carry out modelling as and when I can.

That's why back in 1893 the North British Railway built the entire new Haymarket Shed quicker than I have built this model.

But I must say the further I get with the model the more encouraged I am to continue onto the next building and hopefully sometime in the not to distant future combine it all together into a layout of 64B.

And to think this all started after reading two consecutive articles in the British Modelling Magazine on Eric's Longdrem & Pinkhill Layout back in 2009.

Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year to you both.

Regards

David

WOW !!! ~ Haymarket MPD ! . . . or to give it its' "real" title -- just 'Haymarket shed' as it was affectionately known to me 50 odd years ago.

This thread (which I've just found) is like a time machine for me!

A big thank you for building this and posting it here. What a fabuloius model you've made.

I used to return home every weekend with a fair smattering of Haymarket grime on my clothes ~ back in the late 50s it wasn't as clean and pristine as your model!

Now, when it's complete you'll have to incorporate it into a working layout, then you can carry on and build models of Dalry Road and St Margaret's sheds !!! (just to fully round out my time machine!)

Great build.

Hi David,

Very impressed with your efforts, I will watch with interest its development. Have you given any thought to what turntable you will use? I don't know if you've seen the one that Metalsmith Ltd are develpoing at the moment I think its exactly what you need for Haymarket . Take a look

MetalSmith Ltd.

Kettering

NN16 8NS

England

http://www.metalsmith.co.uk/4mm_scale_00_EM_P4.htm

Cheers

Ian H

(Haymarket Cross)

But I must say the further I get with the model the more encouraged I am to continue onto the next building and hopefully sometime in the not to distant future combine it all together into a layout of 64B.

Hi David,

I too have been following your thread with interest and have enjoyed watching the main 64B shed building evolve over the last few months. Some lovely structure modelling - you seem to be managing to get everything beautifully square and true which can be really difficult for a large building like this but so important. Wonky walls and roof lines destroy the illusion, however much careful detail there is ;)

What a fantastic prototype you've chosen as well. A legendary shed; must have been one of the most stable allocations in the country. Once a 64B loco, always a 64B loco it seems!

Reading through your posts, looks like it might be a little while before the full layout is contemplated but I'm sure we'd all like to see any preliminary plans or doodles you may have? Would you want to portray some of the running lines and the nearby station as well or just the depot?

Regards,

'Robert'

Hi Guys

Again many thanks for your kind works of encouragement.

I did have a slight mishap yesterday when locating the main roof panels, I found that the roof support beams on four of the roof sections were slightly out of line which ment that the roof panels would not be parallel at the ridge board level.

The easiest way around this was to re make and re-fix new replacement supports, this is now completed and all roof panels have been cut and they fit perfectly together,

Also in the real Haymarket shed, Roads 7 & 8 were sectioned off for most of the shed's length to form a maintenance area, this has also been done again using 1.5mm thick card which will be clad both sides in a corrugated material as it was in reality.

I was very lucky as my local model railway shop had just two packs left of Wills plastic corrugated clear glazing sheets Ref SS MP 224, the beauty of these are they are very thin less than 1mm in thickness so I can clad both side of the card and keep within the 4mm thickness of the beams above, also they can be spray painted any colour as well.

By the end of this week I hope to have all works completed leaving only the roof light construction and all slated tiles to be applied, which is quite a large area to cover with 12 roof sections.

Some of the outstanding work will now have to wait until after the Christmas holidays as the family want the dining room table back.

The further I get with this project the more I now want to incorporate the shed building with other building's and structures into a prototype layout of Haymarket Shed as it was around the mid 1950's.

More photos to follow as soon as I get some sunshine.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Some of the outstanding work will now have to wait until after the Christmas holidays as the family want the dining room table back.

Sod the family! Modelling is far more important! :mosking:

Enjoying watching the developments David and the Shed is looking wonderful. I can't wait until Leaman Road has it's proper shed in the spring! :)