Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Looks very smart bit of work

Thanks David

I am pleased with the final result, it hasn't come out on the photo as it's a low resolution photo taken on an IPad but I have applied a very light weathering to the loco body and tender sides, also I dry brushed the smokebox with Metalcote Gunmetal the buffed with a cotton bud.

Best Regards

David

i'm surprised  and delighted that you got those results with an IPad - 

Hi David

So am I surprised as well, and there is a new improved version of the IPad Mini coming out soon if not already which should have a better camera on it.

I suppose it helps being out doors in natural sunlight, but the good thing about the IPad is if you turn it upside down so that the camera lens is almost sitting on the track bed you can get in real close and get low level shots as well.

I do have a Canon SLR and recently purchased a Canon G1X after seeing Gilberts superb photos of Peterborough North he uses a Canon G12 which is now no longer available new in the shops,

I wish I had brought the G12 as it has a much closer minimum focus than the G1X that's why Gilbert's photos are so good.

But despite the two cameras the IPad is so easy to use.

I took some more photos this morning before the rain started with a different photo plank and a different background as well, I enclose a photo for your comments.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-25161000-1406897108_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning

I have now got the main shed building back so it's full steam ahead on completing it now and back to proper railway modelling

Gareth at Replicas Railways has done a superb job in wiring up the LED lights and fitting them into special 4mm scale brass lamps the same design as what was in the actual shed itself.

Now all the lights have been fitted I have also made a start and fitted the first of six transverse roof sections complete with ridge tiles and smoke stacks, I will post some photos as soon as we get sum sunshine.

Please excuse the quality of both photos which were taken on an IPad but it does show the interior lamps, when the shed is complete I will take some night photos with the lamps on.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-56831900-1408787063_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-42527700-1408787075_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

AH David - good to see you back posting again!

Hi Peter

It's been a long time coming but it's great to have the main shed building back, now I can push on and finish it and also start laying out the track plan on the first four baseboards as well.

I am finally getting quite enthusiastic about progressing the whole project as well.

Also just had a new arrival in the shape of Hornby B1 61243 Sir Harold Mitchell as well another Scottish locomotive, not a Haymarket one but I do have a nice photo of her on Haymarket's turntable.

Regards

David

Well David, while you've been off line much has been happening in the Waverley Region! - We now have a new loft, which is in the process of being roofed at the moment and will end up with 37' x 11' of usable space!

I'm trying to work out a sensible plan for making it work and want to do a 'trompe l'oeile' with the tracks by doing a sort of folded double loop that allows me to model Waverley station on one side - passing of course Waverley Shed, then rolling into a gentle decline  that leads eventually to a large fiddle yard beneath the main Waverley board

The idea is that trains depart Waverley, wander off around a scenic section that suggests the Waverley Route through the 'Disputed lands' and maybe have a good wee junction station to allow the lines to split and go who knows where, then dive into another tunnel and .... disappear!

Modelling the Waverley Route, will of course give me modellers' licence for a mix of former stock from both LNER and LMS, 

On emerging from the fiddle yard, my plan is for a climb up to datum by which access is gained to Waverley, where rains will terminate before heading back off in the opposite direction!

Then come the added complications!

Before diverging from the ECML the Waverley route passes through Joppa Station -post-10395-0-03261700-1408818998.png

which is about 50 yards form the house where I was born, so I fancy including that as well as a wee piece showing the house itself - post-10395-0-59415100-1408819115_thumb.png

this is the view from the top of the bridge you could see behind the loco, and the house where I was born is four down on the left!

So if I model this I need to have a 'high level' line that will return to Waverley with maybe another branch line station so DMUs can shuttle back and forth. I also wan tot get in a typical Waverley Route station with all the isolation that suggests, so potentially could shuttle DMUs to that, and include B1s with three coaches!

Lots of choice and struggling to come up with a decent way to plot it all out on a Mac!

Hi Peter

Sound very complex and expensive as well.

There's some good information in the Waverley Route thread on this site.

It will be interesting to see your track plan when you have set it all out.

I have a really good book on Waverley Station, called Wonderful Waverley by Irwell Press I purchased it in Edinburgh when I was there on holiday about five years ago.

Good luck with your layout I look forward to seeing your progress.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Hi David

This is about as far as I've got - the black lines go from and to Waverley, the red ones are the low level - running to the fiddle yard and the blue lines fall from Waverley down to TBC Junction than rise back up to Waverley again.

post-10395-0-21457600-1408862162.png

As you can see I've got room for four main features - the big station, one pass through with very little adornment - Joppa- although the old railway laundry fed off a siding there which ran along the back of my parents' house, and there was a goods yard around there somewhere as well.

TBC junction allows me to send trains on a round-roundy through Waverley or switch them in the fiddle yard - the idea is to play clever games with scenery so you don't know which train to expect!

Apologies for the dodgy lines - I haven't got a decent curve drawing app on the mac, this is the one I use for drawing up house plans

Thanks for the book recommendation _ I've ordered a secondhand copy for £ 20!

ATB

Peter

Hi David,

Iindeed- the scenic aspects are the most exciting!

I won't be able to do much modelling for a while - I need to focus on the paid job to cover the cost over-runs on the build, and our daughter is getting married shortly, but I plan to get the first baseboard in place this side of Christmas!

Period-wise most of my fleet is late steam/ early Diesel BR, but I've got a O2 on order ad I've acquired a very smart rake of Ian Kirk Gresley coaches in teak, so there will be the odd ghostly apparition on the line!

At the opposite end of the timescale I also have a Heljan 'Kestrel' that would like to stretch its wheels  occasionally although nothing blue/grey for it to haul!

I did wonder about having a 'travel through time' set of stock so I could go from late 1930s to early '70s, but I think i'd need (a) more fiddle yard, and (b) much more stock!

I'll probably just end up getting my modeller's licence endorsed a few times!

Peter

Good Evening All

The main shed building to my Haymarket 64B layout is all but complete now.

Only the last two roof panels to the west face of the shed to be fitted, this is due to the unusual size roof light which I will have to have specially made by York Modelmaking Ltd and RW gutters and downpipes to be fitted over both eight lane entrance walls.

All interior lights have been fitted and work a treat and all smoke stacks and ridge tiles are fitted and finished as well.

Latest photo enclosed

Regards

David

post-6557-0-14862200-1409520818_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Amazing building David - now the next challenge - what are you going to do with it next?

Peter

Hi Peter

Thank you for that.

The turntable is already fully completed so the next building I am working on is the The General Offices which also housed the Shed Master and this building was located just east of the turntable, there is a photo on the previous page No9 of this thread you can see part of the building behind A2 60537 Bachelors Button.

I have been using old photos to draw up the four walls and plotting doors and window positions on 2mm thick white card.

I now have to order all the relevant door's and window's from York Modelmaking Ltd and also cover the walls in Red brick paper card to match the main shed, this will be done once I have cut out all the door and window openings.

Photo enclosed of my progress so far.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-59375600-1409566167_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes

Hi Peter

Nor can I at times.

I use masking tape to hold the card in position on a cutting board and use a very sharp model knife changing the blade often as a dull blade causes all sorts of problems.

Also the brick papers or card can hide some errors when they are made.

Regards

David

Well David  ~  That's a beautiful model!

Congratulations! . . . of course you're not finished! -- you've still to get it with all of its associated buildings and turntable, and then fill it with all those Haymarket locos!

It's almost as I remember it in the late 50s/early 60s.  I say "almost" as I never saw it looking anything like this clean!

Best regards,

Jim.

Edited by Holyrood 60152

Well David ~ That's a beautiful model!

Congratulations! . . . of course you're not finished! -- you've still to get it with all of its associated buildings and turntable, and then fill it with all those Haymarket locos!

It's almost as I remember it in the late 50s/early 60s. I say "almost" as I never saw it looking anything like this clean!

Best regards,

Jim.

Hi Jim

Thank you for that, I take that as a big compliment especially from someone who visit the shed in steam days.

I do intend to weather the whole shed building once the last roof section is fitted to make it look a bit more well warn.

Looking forward to completing the smaller out buildings which should be a lot easier to complete.

Forgot to say I currently have Sixteen Haymarket based locomotives at the present time plus some visiting locomotives from King's Cross and Gateshead and hope to have two Heaton based A2/3's in the not too distant future.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Hi Jim

Thank you for that, I take that as a big compliment especially from someone who visit the shed in steam days.

I do intend to weather the whole shed building once the last roof section is fitted to make it look a bit more well warn.

Looking forward to completing the smaller out buildings which should be a lot easier to complete.

Forgot to say I currently have Sixteen Haymarket based locomotives at the present time plus some visiting locomotives from King's Cross and Gateshead and hope to have two Heaton based A2/3's in the not too distant future.

Regards

David

two Heaton based A2/3's in the not too distant future. Airborne and Ocean Swell?

• 5 months later...

Good Evening all

I am looking for some help or being pointed in the right direction regarding coaling tower construction details

I am currntly adapting the Bachmann coaling tower to give some resemblance to the coaling tower at Haymarket.

I know that the coal wagons were hoisted up the tower on what looks like a timer construction platform, the coaling tower had counter balance weights on either side on what looks like a ladder type metal framed construction again with a rope pulley system.

There are very few decent photos of Haymarket's coaling tower available so the details i am trying to sort out are as follows.

1/   Details relating to the coal wagon hoist and how it worked, i assume when the filled wagons went onto the hoist and was lifted on a rope pulley system there must have been some type of open well left at track level.

2/   Any information or details or information relating to the coaling tower construction at the top were the wagons were tilted to allow them to be emptied.

I can guess the construction details but i would like to build it as close as possible so any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

David

Your entire layout absolutely gobsmacks me,  as I started out on a very similar course about 4 years ago,  but shelved it pro tem,  as I became interested in the construction of large and complex narrow gauge locomotives from all ends of the world in 4mm scale.

I have by no  means given up on my Haymarket project (which,  like yours,  involved a cutting down of the main shed to about  six two windowed  bays)  since not only have I accumulated most of the necessary materials,  and produced some working drawings,  but also I have carved out the necessary extensive set of be-windowed gables in 80 thou styrene sheet,  to be laminated with the appropriate Slaters' brickwork.

oct242012_zps405d6b5c.jpg

This was quite hard on the wrists and thumbs.

I don't think my construction techniques will be the same as yours,  although it is wonderful to see the ground broken ahead,  and to have the opportunity of learning how someone else tackled the challenges.  Your initiative to have York Modelmaking cut the windows COULD be a splendid help,  although I suspect it comes too late for me,  as I believe that I chose to cut to accommodate existing proprietary products which were close to the real thing (but not an exact match).

My reason for posting is that I invested considerable effort in arriving at what I believe to be a reasonably accurate 4mm scale drawing of the externals (both sides,  roof plan and east end elevation) of the Haymarket coaling tower.    I used all the published photographs I could find,  plus those of the very similar tower at Kittybrewster.  Although I am no sort of a draftsman,  I have spent a fair bit of time over the years in scaling buildings and other artefacts from photographs,  and I am confident that the results would more than suffice as the basis of a 4mm scale model. One of the reasons I put this project on hold is that I ran into difficulties of access to the technical drawings (which I hoped would elucidate the internal workings) in the possession of the Scottish National Archive.  I managed to obtain the grudging admission of the Director that these are not covered by copyright restrictions which at this date would prohibit access to them,  but it seemed that I should have to invest in an eight hundred mile round trip in order to consult them in situ.  Basically,  I've had other things to do than travel to Edinburgh in order further to argue with civil servants whose salary I help to pay.....

I don't have scanning facilities,  but you'd be welcome to a photocopy of the drawings on which you'd have to do some cut-and-stick.  The object is a fair size -- my drawing of it came out at over 33 centimetres tall,  by about 18 cm by almost 14 cm (the last including the sloping system of rails on which the coal wagons were raised).  Although there would be some inaccuracies in the photocopy-cut-and-paste process,  you will appreciate that those would be as nothing compared with fudging a model up from a proprietary product,  and they would be no greater than those likely to result from whatever construction method you might adopt from scratch.

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie
  • Like 1

Hi auldreekie

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my request, I must say your to main external walls do look very good and it nice to know I am not the only one to try and create Haymarket MPD in 4mm scale.

Regarding the arched windows to the main external walls I had these specially made as you know by York Model Making Ltd and they were made from information and dimensions I supplied they should be able to re-make them for you without any problems if you are happy to go down that route.

If you speak to Julie at York Model Making and quote the windows that were made for my Haymarket model she should be able to help you, I am more than happy to supply any information required if you need it.

I only installed windows into the south wall as all the windows to the North wall were removed and the openings bricked up.

With regards to the massive coaling tower at Haymarket I have decided to cut and adapt the one made by Bachmann rather than try to scratch build it, I have adapted it by making detailed  add-on parts using card, plastic sections and plastic sheets as well, this is just to give a similar resemblance to the tower.

I am hoping to post some photos tomorrow to show what I have done with the tower so far.

It is very kind of you to offer me the option of photocopying your drawings but I have now already constructed a hoist and adapted the opening where the wagons would tip their coal into the tower from some photos I have managed to obtain from a railway magazine which had a very interesting article on Haymarket.

It will be very interesting in seeing the progress on your own version of Haymarket and like yourself I do have lots of information and lots photos I have found indicating many different views of the main shed and surrounding buildings, if there are any areas of your layout where you need information on and if I have it I will be more than happy to send any details to you.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

David,

Thank you for your very helpful and encouraging reply.

The photograph which I posted was dated October 2012,  so as you can see this project has suffered a considerable delay whilst I construct such sacred narrow gauge monsters as a Henschel 4-8-2  for a Brazilian mineral line which went broke (the locomotive an absolutely mouth-watering beauty in my book) and the Yugoslav (ex-Bosnian) Class 83 0-8-2 which was the mainstay of much of that country's narrow gauge network (a quirky,  even ugly,  but anyway very different beast).  Since these and other such creatures are absorbing a fair bit of my energy currently,  it is likely to be months rather than weeks before the Haymarket scheme springs back to life. 

Pity you won't be using my coal tower drawings,  but the offer remains very much open if you should think otherwise,  or if you think that my drawing might help you in your adaptation of the Bachmann model.  Just in case it might be of interest,  I have taken an indicative photograph of the drawing,  which I shall post when I have had an opportunity to set it up on Photobucket.

I could be tempted into building the coaling tower as a stand-alone object - just for the hell of having two on the go at once to compare and contrast.   The construction process  would pose a challenge or two,  I have no doubt.

A couple of questions:   is the wagon hoist and tippler going to be operational on your model and (if so) will you be posting/ publishing details of how you achieved this?  Secondly,  have you managed success in procuring any details from whatever source of the internal arrangements?  I could make a reasoned guess at them,  but I must say that I'd prefer to know chapter and verse.  I assume that you are familiar with such generic treatments as that given in E S Beavor's "Steam Motive Power Depots":  the diagram on his page 20 is most helpful,  but it depicts an arrangement in which two coaling roads pass beneath the structure rather (but not exactly) as at Doncaster Carr.  The Haymarket/ Kittybrewster setup was,  of course,  different. 

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie