Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Hi All

This is just to give an indication of scale.

I have put there coaling tower next to the main shed building, not a brilliant photo as it was taken on an iPad but give a small idea of what it will look like when the layout all comes together, I would have included to turntable in the foreground but did not a the space on my worktop.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-73781500-1425034141_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

That DOES look very good indeed.

But,  as you say,  great minds....  (I shall pass over for the moment the fools who seldom differ....).

Just as a taster,  and in no way to detract from the encouragement given by your splendid model,  here is an aerial view of work-in-progress hereabouts:

DSCF0264_zpsfbrdzwyl.jpg

A long way yet to go.......

auldreekie

• Like 1

Hi auldreekie

I must say that does look very good, is that a line up of locomotives next to your work waiting for it to be built.

Having got this far with the Haymarket project it will be very interesting from my point of view to see someone else working on the same project.

Please keep the progress photos coming.

Regards

David

David,

Thank you.  Without your encouragement,  I would otherwise hesitate to invade your thread any further.  The build will not go quickly,  because I have rather a lot of narrow-gauge activity in progress right now.  The pictured locomotives,  sadly from this perspective,  have nothing to do with Haymarket:  they are part of my current semi-batch build of "narrow gauge superpower".   When built in due course,   I intend that my standard gauge depot will be peopled in the first instance with some proprietary and kit-built BR,  ex-LNER and ex-NBR material from various numbers of years ago,  I DO intend to move on to some more ambitious builds,  starting with some based on Graeme King's articles and conversion materials. 

But that is,  I fear,  a year or two off at best.    For the meantime,  the coaling plant will make a brief appearance on the (very rough) NG depot,  just out of curiosity to see how it compares with the present more realistically-sized incumbent........

auldreekie

Well.  I don't intend to post so frequently in future.  But at this stage the learning curve is quite steep,  so it may be worth sharing some of it.

DSCF0268_zpstfc4ikn0.jpg

Both hoppers fabricated as I assume them to be at the base of the bunkers  .  Still some fettling and tidying to do to them.  For example,  I intend to laminate the main legs of the structure to full thickness right up to full height at top of the bunkers and to include the two horizontal cross-pieces at that level.  That will require two small rectangular sections to be cut out of the outer side of each hopper,  so as to clear the legs. 

Until I had reached this stage,  I couldn't quite visualise how the flap at base of the "receiving" (upper) hopper would be pivoted.  But it becomes clear that the principle is that there will be an appropriate cut-out from the top edge of the partition dividing the two bunkers,  and the flap will pivot on the bottom edge of that cut-out.  I still have to puzzle out how to achieve simultaneously an appropriate-sized aperture at base of the "receiving" (upper) hopper,  and a correct overall height for that hopper to fit the rest of the structure.  Next little challenge......

auldreekie

• Like 1

It doesn't half produce,  as a by-product,  a lot of styrene dust and odd little bits of styrene.  Fortunately,  it's too cold in the "conservatory" (place of modelling activity) for the domestic authorities.  So until now I have escaped censure for the mess.

But I know it's only a matter of time.......

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie

Whilst there's still something of potential interest to show in relation to the fabrication procedure.....

DSCF0269_zpsmqpuspgs.jpg

The internal view of the two sets of side-pieces,  showing the laminated structure of legs and cross-beams. 

When the main subassemblies are joined up,  there will be a pair of similar laminated cross-beams across tippler and jigger faces,  forming a rigid frame for the whole structure.  I hope that this will do much to resist any tendency for the styrene external panels to warp. 

auldreekie

• Like 3

I ought to pay more attention.   Parts for top hopper,   version 1 and version 2 (corrected).....

DSCF0270_zpsrp6io9ku.jpg

I leave it to the alert student to spot which is the correct,  asymmetric,  version (arranged to enable feed to either of the two bunkers,  one of which is larger than the other).

Glad I spotted this before I started chamfering and gluing.  Pity it wasn't before I hacked them out of the styrene....

auldreekie

Well.  Here are the essentials of the innards of the coaling stage,  not as yet definitively stuck together in all parts,  but getting close to fettling,  along with the outer skin,  to form up the basics of the structure.

DSCF0271_zpsl0bcrypq.jpg

The upper hopper is as yet perched at its point of balance,  rather than asymmetrically as it ought to be,  as indicated by the two pencil marks on its rim.

It's just as well that styrene is a forgiving medium,  since it was an afterthought to extend the bunker-divider upwards to support the sloping sides of the upper hopper.  Not sure if this was so in reality:  it makes structural sense in the model,  but the external framing on the real thing does not reflect any such arrangement. 

What did become clear as assembly proceeded,  however,  was that no gap needs to be made in the bunker-divider to accommodate the flap in the upper hopper:  this would have functioned internally to the hopper,  I think,  leaving no channel of communication between the two lower bunkers.

And I think that I shall provide triangular supports to the lower bunker-hoppers,  in line with the legs of the main structure.  This will significantly strengthen the model,  and photographs suggest an arrangement at least of beams in this position,  which may well have been triangular, wall-like,  supports.

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie
  • Like 2

Well.  Here are the essentials of the innards of the coaling stage,  not as yet definitively stuck together in all parts,  but getting close to fettling,  along with the outer skin,  to form up the basics of the structure.

DSCF0271_zpsl0bcrypq.jpg

The upper hopper is as yet perched at its point of balance,  rather than asymmetrically as it ought to be,  as indicated by the two pencil marks on its rim.

It's just as well that styrene is a forgiving medium,  since it was an afterthought to extend the bunker-divider upwards to support the sloping sides of the upper hopper.  Not sure if this was so in reality:  it makes structural sense in the model,  but the external framing on the real thing does not reflect any such arrangement. 

What did become clear as assembly proceeded,  however,  was that no gap needs to be made in the bunker-divider to accommodate the flap in the upper hopper:  this would have functioned internally to the hopper,  I think,  leaving no channel of communication between the two lower bunkers.

And I think that I shall provide triangular supports to the lower bunker-hoppers,  in line with the legs of the main structure.  This will significantly strengthen the model,  and photographs suggest an arrangement at least of beams in this position,  which may well have been triangular, wall-like,  supports.

auldreekie

Hi

Looking very good at the moment.

Regards

David

It's moving faster than I expected.

But there will be a bit of a pause whilst I source proprietary details:  appropriate industrial window-frames,  stairways,  stanchions for the handrails.   

And I decided to mitre the corners,  rather than overlap them,  because it makes it easier to keep the concrete framing overlays,  etc in proportion.  But the downside is the tedium and the mess the job makes,  so that too will slow things up a bit.....

And it's FREEZING in the "conservatory",  which cuts down on the length of shift.....

auldreekie 

It's moving faster than I expected.

But there will be a bit of a pause whilst I source proprietary details: appropriate industrial window-frames, stairways, stanchions for the handrails.

And I decided to mitre the corners, rather than overlap them, because it makes it easier to keep the concrete framing overlays, etc in proportion. But the downside is the tedium and the mess the job makes, so that too will slow things up a bit.....

And it's FREEZING in the "conservatory", which cuts down on the length of shift.....

Hi here is another photo that may be of use to you.

Regards

David

auldreekie

post-6557-0-79637200-1425337912.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1

Thank you.  That's interesting as the only non ground-level (ish) photograph I've seen of the tippler face of the Haymarket plant.  I've saved it,  and I shall have to see what information can be extracted by "zooming",  even although it's not the most distinct of images....

auldreekie

Having said that it's moving faster than expected,  I have now run into the first expected source of delay - making sure that the innards are a good fit to the outer panels.

It's very difficult (as I have found when modelling hipped roofs) to make these pyramid structures so that they have an accurately-rectangular outline.  For hipped roofs with an overhang at the eaves,  a millimetre or so of imprecision is unimportant.  But with this structure,  a fairly high degree of closeness of fit is essential.  And the problem is compounded for the bunker hoppers by having two of them sit pannier fashion around the dividing partition.  Consequently,  I modelled the bunker-hoppers fractionally under size,  so that I have for several days been engaged in cutting,  padding-out and filling to make good the fit. There has been quite a bit of trial and error.  I think all is now well with the larger of the two bunker hoppers,  but I have some work yet to do on the smaller one.  Then there will be some overall fettling of the bunker-hopper-plus-divider assembly before I can move on.

I think that,  when I do move ahead,  the first step will be to fit on the two ends and check for verticality,  then to attach the lower panel of the jigger and tippler sides respectively.  That ought more or less to true up the basic structure,  and at that point I shall be able to draw breath and consider the order of future operations...

Picture to follow when there's something to show.  It may not be much,  but it will indicate to the enlightened eye where the work  (play) has had to be done.

auldreekie

• Like 1

Here,  then,  is how matters now stand.

DSCF0272_zpsxnufenr6.jpg

So,  what has been done?

-  The two supporting beams for the larger bunker hopper have been shaped and attached.  Trial and error,  quite a lot of it,  was needed here to achieve a snug fit.

-  Cutouts have been made in both bunker hoppers to accommodate the vertical legs attached to the ends of the overall structure.  A slightly tricky task also.  At both ends I overdid the cutouts,  and had to backfill with scraps of styrene,  measuring repeatedly until all was well,  and correcting a slight lack of rectangularity at the large bunker end so that,  in due course,  the ends of the entire structure will parallel one another precisely (I hope....).

-  A filler piece has  been added for the remaining gap between the legs at the large bunker end.

-  All the resulting scars and hollows have been filled with Milliput,  left overnight to cure,  and filled/sanded into relative tidiness.

-  a length of microstrip has been added to each side of each hopper,  at the top edge,  to space out by the amount by which the hoppers were designed narrower than the main vertical divider,  and this has been filed to leave the outer top edges of the hoppers,  as so amended,  pretty well exactly parallel in  plan.

To complete this stage,  there remains to:

-  repeat the relevant parts of this process for the smaller bunker hopper;

-  fill four remaining small corner spaces outboard of the legs of the main structure,  and

-  make good.

At this stage,  I expect to start to tackle attachment of the bunker structure to the main external panels,  starting with the ends,  then moving on to the lowest panels on the tippler and jigger faces,  and working upwards,  adjusting as necessary.

We shall see......

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie

A bit of more visible,  but perhaps less actual,  progress.

DSCF0275_zpss030yy9v.jpg

An overhead picture of a later elasticated lashup,  this time with the ends switched to their correct positions.  I suppose I should take heart that the work has been sufficiently precise that they can be interchanged readily....   However,  complacency is quickly removed by the awful sight which is revealed of the bodging and fudging which has been necessary to arrive at this point.

Nevertheless

DSCF0276_zpsjmebyk8k.jpg

I think this begins to show that the bodging,  etc was worth it,  since the larger pieces of the external cladding now appear to fit quite well,  although I'm postponing gluing them finally into position whilst I give some thought to what best next to do.  There's much to be said for a campaign of tidying up the underpinnings,  filing and filling as necessary and ensuring proper representation of the various beams under the bunker-hoppers.  The drawback is the vulnerability of the two long prongs of the end-pieces whilst such work is in progress......

This picture also demonstrates clearly the principle on which the innards are arranged,  even if detail is lacking and/or inaccurate.  In the model,  it's there mainly to ensure rigidity,  but also  so that,  when the onlooker peers into the tippler-side chasm,  there's something there which has a credible relationship with reality.  I hope....

auldreekie

A little more progress,  and some minor challenges to note.

DSCF0277_zpseeact22q.jpg

I decided to start by cladding the jigger side and the two ends,  because this would support the vulnerable existing "prongs" at the front corners,  whilst providing relatively good access for painting purposes to much of the interior.

The main panel on the jigger side went into place straightforwardly,  apart from the fact that I needed to pad out with microstrip the relevant edge of the bunker-divider so as to enable it to provide support/ rigidity to the large side panel.  This arises because I deliberately cut out the divider slightly narrow:  I find padding out with microstrip,  followed by minor filing and sanding,  to be a more easily-controlled process than filing back from a slightly-misshapen part as originally cut out.

The upper end panel is going fine,  but (as expected) it is a slightly tricky job,  because it has to bridge between the jigger-side panel,  whose edges slope in very slightly (by just over 1 millimetre over the height of the panel)  and the "prong" at the tippler-side corner.  This prong is the representation of the main reinforced concrete frame member on the tippler side,  and it is vertical when viewed from the tippler side.    So there is a very slight inward slope to be managed along the line of joint between the edge panel and this vertical member.  Whilst very slight,  this is a noticeable feature of the structure,  and indeed one which puzzled me not a little when making a working drawing.

My way of dealing with this,  still in progress,  is first to glue the bottom edge of the end panel into place.  Then,  before the solvent is set firmly,  to glue the end panel to the slightly-sloped edge of the jigger-side panel.  Then at a similar stage in the curing of that second joint,  to glue the by now slightly-sloped end panel to the edge of the "prong".  This looks to be going well.  It DOES require a fair degree of accuracy in the cutting of the panels and in the mitring of the joints.......

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie

Some more progress.  Some sharper pictures,  which are,  I think,  more or less self-explanatory.

DSCF0278_zpsb0ypykpd.jpg

The tippler side,  upper two panels of cladding not yet in place  The upper hopper is not yet fixed in place,  whence its sitting slightly askew.   Otherwise,  a fairly clear anatomical picture....

DSCF0280_zpspjafey3b.jpg

The jigger side.  First and second panels in place,  third one yet to be fixed.  Both ends now satisfactorily assembled.

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie
  • Like 1

Good Morning All

My conversion of a standard Bachmann coaling tower is now finally fully completed as far as I want to go with it.

I know I was never going to get it to look exactly like Haymarket's coal tower unless I scratch built it, but I just do not have the skills and time with so many other items still to make.

Please excuse the quality of the enclosed photos as it was not easy to get a close up low level photo, the tower is just to high.

Photos enclosed.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-44524200-1425988507_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-68125500-1425988527_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-39055400-1425988548_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Great work David.

Many thanks Eric.

That's the main shed, turntable and coaling tower now all completed.

Next two large projects are the water tower and the large office block just east of the turntable.

Regards

David

David,

That looks superb,  especially with the wagon posed halfway up on the tippler hoist.

Does it live permanently in that position,  or can the hoist be raised/lowered?

Also,  is there any chance of a view of the jigger side of the model?

As to the time needed to scratchbuild,  you're right to be cautious about committing. to it.  I reckon of the order of 90 man-hours so far (I'm not the quickest or the most precise of builders,  so quite a bit of time has been spent on acting to prevent the cumulation of errors),  and I might be getting on for half way there.....

I stopped posting,  as I seemed to be rather hogging your thread.  Let me know if it's of interest to be warned where the problems crop up and where the time has to be spent (by no means always where expected...... ).

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie