Haymarket 64B

landscapes

David,

That looks superb, especially with the wagon posed halfway up on the tippler hoist.

Does it live permanently in that position, or can the hoist be raised/lowered?

Also, is there any chance of a view of the jigger side of the model?

As to the time needed to scratchbuild, you're right to be cautious about committing. to it. I reckon of the order of 90 man-hours so far (I'm not the quickest or the most precise of builders, so quite a bit of time has been spent on acting to prevent the cumulation of errors), and I might be getting on for half way there.....

I stopped posting, as I seemed to be rather hogging your thread. Let me know if it's of interest to be warned where the problems crop up and where the time has to be spent (by no means always where expected...... ).

Hi auldreekie

Thank you for you comments.

I think you are doing a great job scratch building the coal tower it's looking very good.

The reason I went for the Bachmann conversion was as you already know there is a hell of a lot of work to do especially after you have built the main structure, it's all the stairways, handrails and all the additional fixtures and fitting to source as well.

When you say the jigger side I assume you mean the opposite side to the coal truck hoist, I will post some more photos once we get some more sunshine.

The wagon hoist is fixed in the position shown' I did install brass pulley wheels to the four hoists in the motor room and they did work but there is a chance that the ropes could come off the pulleys once to motor room roof was stuck down and that could cause problems in the future.

So I put the ropes onto the pulleys then held the secure with a small blob of glue.

I do believe with a little bit of extra thought you could get the wagon hoist to work but it would mean extra work installing guide rails for the wagon hoist wheels on the main wagon frame structure and trying to find a way of securing the wagon hoist to the main frame structure.

A last point I do not have any problems with you posting your photos on this thread, as Tony Wright once pointed out to me we do not own these threads there there for anyone to add there comments so please feel free to post your progress on your coaling tower.

I especially would be more than interested in seeing your progress.

Best regards

David

auldreekie

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Premium

A bit late and not particularly clear, but I thought that these might be of interest

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/sar008696

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/sar008695

from the Britain from above website. Register, and you can zoom in quite close, but the definition is not that great.

Regards

Ian

Further pictures!  Great!!

Probably more use to me than to David,  as he has got so much further ahead with his build.

David,  Thanks for being understanding.  I shall give some thought to the last few days' work,  and post drawing attention to points which would help someone else tackling the coaling plant build.  I DID think quite hard about making bits operational,  but I reckoned that any small amount of mechanical ingenuity I may possess would be better deployed otherwise right now.  I think the way I've gone about the build would make it reasonably easy,  if taken as a basis,  for someone who wished to make the works work.  I may,  if it's easily done,  pivot the tippler beam,  just for the hell of being able to move it.

As to railings and stairways,  I just assumed that you'd cannibalised the Bachmann model.  If not,  are you willing to tell us what you used?

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie

A bit late and not particularly clear, but I thought that these might be of interest

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/sar008696

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/sar008695

from the Britain from above website. Register, and you can zoom in quite close, but the definition is not that great.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian

Many thanks for the two photos and link to register which I have done.

Those photos will be of great help to me, I have many different view of Haymarket MPD but these two photos pull the whole thing together especially when laying out the baseboards.

Thanks again.

David

That looks fantastic David! Especially, as Auldreekie said, it really looks the business with that wagon posed on the lift!

How long have you had 'Pearl Diver'?

Jim.,

Many thanks Jim

I have had Pearl Diver for about a year, it started out as 60533 Happy Knight, but I wanted to change it's identity to a Haymarket A2 as soon as I did the alterations I then found out that Bachmann were bringing out Pearl Diver in their new range sometime this year.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

From the following thread and a link to the SRPS Steam website:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95771-7mm-j36-great-aunt-maude/page-3

Not sure if new to you, but a shot of the coaling tower in background of this nice shot of "Maude":

http://www.srpssteam.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=21&pos=2

Hi 26power

Again thank you for the photo links, as you say that is a very nice photo of Maude, as well as the coaling tower it shows to good detail the water tower next to it and gives an indication of size and scale as well.

That structure is next on my list.

Thanks again.

David

That's  quite good of the coaling tower,  especially given the dearth of readily-available decent pictures of the tippler side.  It's super of "Maude".

Here are a couple of photos indicating current progress on my attempt to scratchbuild the coaler.

DSCF0282_zpsmombccms.jpg

This is the tippler side as it was about a couple of days ago.

The upper hopper is now firmly and positively located,  but I have left it unfixed pro tem,  because I wish to be able to remove it for ease of working on the internal cantilevered balcony which will have to be added for access to the winching gear for the hinged flap.  I suspect that I shall have to invent such detail of the latter as I wish to include,  but I'm leaving it in the hope that further information may turn up.  For the same reason the upper two external panels on this side are as yet left off.  The finalisation of  "The Beam" will have to await completion of all that lot.  But I'm still giving that a bit of thought.  It occurs to me that in reality the "goalposts" sustaining the beam may have been cranked,  which would perhaps have helped the geometry of the counterbalance arrangements.

DSCF0291_zpscmulgqqw.jpg

This is the jigger side as of this afternoon.

The floor of the machine room is now fabricated and placed on top but not yet fixed,  as I intend to fabricate the entire machine room as a separate subassembly before fixing it in place as a whole.  The upper panel of the jigger side is now glued in place.  To my relief,  this and the machine room floor are a good fit.  This came about,  however,  as a result of some very careful filling and fettling to rectify errors cumulating through the height of the building (of the order of 1mm,  which is,  I suppose,  to be expected over a height of some 300mm).

The "jigger deck" is now fabricated and friction-fitted  between the legs.  It comprises three thicknesses of 60 thou styrene sheet,  of which the central layer is hollowed out to accommodate a 6cm x 6cm piece of lead flashing in order to provide some weight low down to stabilise the building.  It is not yet glued into place,  because the chamfer along its lower edge on the jigger side has yet to be filed-in.

The two jigger housings are fabricated and loosely located near to their final position,  but they each yet need to be cut into the edge of the deck by about an inch,  then the whole caboodle cemented in place.

At this stage,  two aspects of this build have become clear to me:

-  The shape of the structure is such that great care needs to be taken with accuracy of fit of components in the lower parts.

-  There is a need to concentrate on producing key subassemblies,  but in many instances not to cement them in place as soon as they are fabricated,  since dependencies between stages of assembly tend to become clear only as the build proceeds.  This is perhaps simply because of the unfamiliar shape of the structure.

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie

That's  quite good of the coaling tower,  especially given the dearth of readily-available decent pictures of the tippler side.  It's super of "Maude".

Here are a couple of photos indicating current progress on my attempt to scratchbuild the coaler.

DSCF0282_zpsmombccms.jpg

This is the tippler side as it was about a couple of days ago.

The upper hopper is now firmly and positively located,  but I have left it unfixed pro tem,  because I wish to be able to remove it for ease of working on the internal cantilevered balcony which will have to be added for access to the winching gear for the hinged flap.  I suspect that I shall have to invent such detail of the latter as I wish to include,  but I'm leaving it in the hope that further information may turn up.  For the same reason the upper two external panels on this side are as yet left off.  The finalisation of  "The Beam" will have to await completion of all that lot.  But I'm still giving that a bit of thought.  It occurs to me that in reality the "goalposts" sustaining the beam may have been cranked,  which would perhaps have helped the geometry of the counterbalance arrangements.

DSCF0291_zpscmulgqqw.jpg

This is the jigger side as of this afternoon.

The floor of the machine room is now fabricated and placed on top but not yet fixed,  as I intend to fabricate the entire machine room as a separate subassembly before fixing it in place as a whole.  The upper panel of the jigger side is now glued in place.  To my relief,  this and the machine room floor are a good fit.  This came about,  however,  as a result of some very careful filling and fettling to rectify errors cumulating through the height of the building (of the order of 1mm,  which is,  I suppose,  to be expected over a height of some 300mm).

The "jigger deck" is now fabricated and friction-fitted  between the legs.  It comprises three thicknesses of 60 thou styrene sheet,  of which the central layer is hollowed out to accommodate a 6cm x 6cm piece of lead flashing in order to provide some weight low down to stabilise the building.  It is not yet glued into place,  because the chamfer along its lower edge on the jigger side has yet to be filed-in.

The two jigger housings are fabricated and loosely located near to their final position,  but they each yet need to be cut into the edge of the deck by about an inch,  then the whole caboodle cemented in place.

At this stage,  two aspects of this build have become clear to me:

-  The shape of the structure is such that great care needs to be taken with accuracy of fit of components in the lower parts.

-  There is a need to concentrate on producing key subassemblies,  but in many instances not to cement them in place as soon as they are fabricated,  since dependencies between stages of assembly tend to become clear only as the build proceeds.  This is perhaps simply because of the unfamiliar shape of the structure.

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

That is coming on a treat.

There only advice I would give is not to fix in position the very top machine room especially until you have marked out,positioned and drilled the eight holes required for the cable runs to the two counter balance weights on each side and the wagon hoist itself.

But I must say your tower is looking very good indeed.

Regards

David

David,

Thank you for that.  I hadn't thought of that particular complication,  about which it is helpful to be forewarned.  I think that otherwise I might have fixed the machine room before  the tippler-side upper panels,  which would obviously have to precede  the guide-rails for the tippler......

The bit that I'm most chuffed with so far is the way in which the upper end-panels recede upwards ever so slightly behind the tippler-side framing.  I had some difficulty in working out from photographs what was going on here,  but I think the effect on the model is about right,  except that the necessary small slope remains to be filed to finish off the top edge of said frames.  Why the end-panels slope slightly in this way is a bit of a mystery to me:  I guess it may have something to do with enlisting the help of gravity to keep the tippler counterweights on track.

auldreekie

David,

That looks superb,  especially with the wagon posed halfway up on the tippler hoist.

Does it live permanently in that position,  or can the hoist be raised/lowered?

Also,  is there any chance of a view of the jigger side of the model?

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

As requested I have taken a photo of the oppressive side of the coaling tower to the wagon hoist so I hope I have got your request correct.

This side was located very close to the main shed south wall so there are very few details or photos of it below the main shed roof level.

As it was nice and sunny here in Swindon this morning I took the opportunity to take a few photos of the completed turntable as well, this again is a conversion of the turntable produced by Peco.

I removed the oversize plastic handrails and replaced them in brass and scratch built a vacuum motor and platform.

MetalSmiths are proposing to produce a brass turntable kit based on Haymarket but they have no dates when in the future it will be available and to have it made up and painted it would cost around £450.00.

I have also added a sketch of the pulley mechanism I built into the machine room for the counter balance weights and wagon hoist ropes, I hope it makes sence to you, please ask for any additional details or information if you need to.

Regards

David 

post-6557-0-36121700-1426093465_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-90199300-1426093487_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-14427400-1426093506_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-83144700-1426093534_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 4

Thank you for all that,  David.

I hadn't really thought about making any representation of the winches in the machine-room.  Food for thought.....  As is the brilliant presentational ploy of having both wagon-loaded tippler and counterbalance weights poised at half mast.

The opposite side is also highly thought-provoking.  The Bachmann model has more knobbly interest than the actual Haymarket/Kittybrewster implementation.  Are those stairways and railings the Bachman originals?  (I'm deliberating alternative compromises right now....)

And that is a very interesting and encouraging adaptation of the Peco turntable.  In my narrow  gauge empire,  I had a shot at a similar use of the N-gauge Peco product,  but first shot has proved mechanically unreliable.  Fortunately the basic cost is low,  so that several attempts can be contemplated with equanimity:  I hope that when (in the end) I succeed in getting it right it will look as good with my scratchbuilt NG monsters on it as yours does with the ECML cavalry of glorious memory!   I too registered the promised Metalsmiths product as a possibility for the planned standard gauge layout,  but it would take up quite a few weeks' worth of pocketmoney.......

auldreekie

Thank you for all that,  David.

I hadn't really thought about making any representation of the winches in the machine-room.  Food for thought.....  As is the brilliant presentational ploy of having both wagon-loaded tippler and counterbalance weights poised at half mast.

The opposite side is also highly thought-provoking.  The Bachmann model has more knobbly interest than the actual Haymarket/Kittybrewster implementation.  Are those stairways and railings the Bachman originals?  (I'm deliberating alternative compromises right now....)

And that is a very interesting and encouraging adaptation of the Peco turntable.  In my narrow  gauge empire,  I had a shot at a similar use of the N-gauge Peco product,  but first shot has proved mechanically unreliable.  Fortunately the basic cost is low,  so that several attempts can be contemplated with equanimity:  I hope that when (in the end) I succeed in getting it right it will look as good with my scratchbuilt NG monsters on it as yours does with the ECML cavalry of glorious memory!   I too registered the promised Metalsmiths product as a possibility for the planned standard gauge layout,  but it would take up quite a few weeks' worth of pocketmoney.......

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

Yes all stairways and railings are the original ones that came with the Bachmann tower.

I did carry out some trimming back of the main structure at first floor level and had to cut and adapt the handrails to suite the alterations.

Regards

David

Hi auldreekie

I wonder if I could possibly ask for some help from you please?

I am now working on the dimensions of the large water tower situated next to the coaling tower.

Is it possible for you to give me two dimensions please, one measured from your own model in millimetres and the other the actual dimension if possible from your drawing of Haymarket's coaling tower.

Both dimensions relate to the height from ground level up to the point on the coal tower where the structure starts to taper as per my enclosed sketch below.

From this information I can get an idea of how high the water tower is.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-61914900-1426257906_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes

David.

That dimension is the same (with due allowance for the imprecision of my fabrication) on the drawing as on the model "in the plastic":  130 millimetres

I hope that helps.  That water-tank definitely looks like a challenge,  although (rather like the shed itself),  it's a challenge requiring more than I have been able to muster by way of patience in implementing time and again solutions once they've been devised.  My poor old hands still carry a memory of hacking out all those gables with two arched and one circular aperture each......  At least with the coaling tower,  whilst it's a succession of one damned problem after another,  each problem tends to be a new one.

Update on my glacial progress:

DSCF0293_zpsejjbvxws.jpg

I postponed hacking into the jigger platform,  but made a start on the machine-room.  Tricky,  because of its complicated shape and because it has to be a precise fit on the tower beneath.   I think its complex outline will need to be braced against future distortion.  I therefore decided to make it as a rectangular box  with two dividers coinciding with the "inner" walls of the tippler-side and jigger-side projections.  Not prototypical,  but I don't intend the innards to be particularly open to inspection.... The two end-walls of that box are now to be seen in place.  The end-projections will be glued on to the outside.  If more bracing is needed,  then each of the three main rectangular compartments can be bisected by a divider.

Still ruminating about stairways and handrails.  The world of model boats offers options,  but they ain't cheap for such a structure as this.  I'll need to think just how the Plastruct product could be slimmed down to look more like steelwork.......

auldreekie

David.

That dimension is the same (with due allowance for the imprecision of my fabrication) on the drawing as on the model "in the plastic": 130 millimetres

I hope that helps. That water-tank definitely looks like a challenge, although (rather like the shed itself), it's a challenge requiring more than I have been able to muster by way of patience in implementing time and again solutions once they've been devised. My poor old hands still carry a memory of hacking out all those gables with two arched and one circular aperture each...... At least with the coaling tower, whilst it's a succession of one damned problem after another, each problem tends to be a new one.

Update on my glacial progress:

DSCF0293_zpsejjbvxws.jpg

I postponed hacking into the jigger platform, but made a start on the machine-room. Tricky, because of its complicated shape and because it has to be a precise fit on the tower beneath. I think its complex outline will need to be braced against future distortion. I therefore decided to make it as a rectangular box with two dividers coinciding with the "inner" walls of the tippler-side and jigger-side projections. Not prototypical, but I don't intend the innards to be particularly open to inspection.... The two end-walls of that box are now to be seen in place. The end-projections will be glued on to the outside. If more bracing is needed, then each of the three main rectangular compartments can be bisected by a divider.

Still ruminating about stairways and handrails. The world of model boats offers options, but they ain't cheap for such a structure as this. I'll need to think just how the Plastruct product could be slimmed down to look more like steelwork.......

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

That's looking very good .

Many thanks for the information, I think your dimensions are spot on as looking at photos the main support framework up to the underside of the water tank itself looks to be about the same height as the engine shed and about the same height as the dimension I requested on your coaling tower.

Your 130mm sounds just about right as my engine shed measures 128mm to the top of the ridge tiles.

Regarding your stairways and handrails have you thought about making them up from brass wire?

Thanks again

David

Edited by landscapes

David

Stairways and handrails - brass wire:  it may well come to that.  I'm no dab hand with a soldering iron.  I wouldn't say that I'm terrified of the things,  but I've never managed to get into a "teamwork" relationship with them......   However,  with the right wooden jig,  it might work,  and I might allay some of my inhibitions......  A lot of "mights" here.  I prefer "mays"...

Glad my dimension acts as confirmation.  That ought to be reassuring for both of us.  I did say I'd spent a lot of time arriving at that drawing,  building-in such limited cross-checks as I could.  From experience in building little locomotives often based on very limited dimensional and photographic information,  I'd be surprised and disappointed if I was wildly adrift,  although there's no guarantee whatever of ultimate precision.

auldreekie

David

Stairways and handrails - brass wire:  it may well come to that.  I'm no dab hand with a soldering iron.  I wouldn't say that I'm terrified of the things,  but I've never managed to get into a "teamwork" relationship with them......   However,  with the right wooden jig,  it might work,  and I might allay some of my inhibitions......  A lot of "mights" here.  I prefer "mays"...

Glad my dimension acts as confirmation.  That ought to be reassuring for both of us.  I did say I'd spent a lot of time arriving at that drawing,  building-in such limited cross-checks as I could.  From experience in building little locomotives often based on very limited dimensional and photographic information,  I'd be surprised and disappointed if I was wildly adrift,  although there's no guarantee whatever of ultimate precision.

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

Believe it or not that dimension you have given me now gives me enough information to start planning the water tower, just need to start looking very closely at what photos I have.

I am in complete agreement with you regarding soldering, I have never done it and have no desire to either if I can help it.

There was a Glue I purchased about two years ago at a model railway exhibition, it was a clear type of super glue its strength qualities were amazing and unlike normal super glue you could apply it to two surfaces and position them it did not work until you firmly pressed the two surfaces together.

You could glue any metals it even glued glass together and it was completely invisible, it came from Germany it was an industrial glue that had just been given a licence for domestic use but for the life of me I cannot remember its name, can anyone help?

I will investigate further and let you know. 

Regards

David

David,

That glue sounds fabulous!

There are various grades of Loctite which create pretty robust joints between bits of metal, so that one of them might be capable of being pressed into service in this way.  Whatever,  there'd be a need to fabricate at least two jigs:  one for the one-rail railings and one for the two-rail ones.    There might also have to be a "sloping" one to cope with the stairway handrails.....  For glued assembly,  they could be in styrene.  For soldering,  they'd have to be wooden.......

To be honest,  the stairways cause me more concern than the handrails.  I believe that I COULD produce the handrails,  although with little joy other than that of completion.  But I'm not so sure about the steps!

And I ought to thank you seriously for that reference to BRILL.  I bought a back issue,  and the picture there is,  of course as a full-page print,  beautifully clear and detailed.  Between that and the jigger side picture of the Kittybrewster tower which I mentioned  the coverage is excellent.  The main differences between the two appear to lie in the various offices grouped around the base and/or under the jigger platform.  I shall not be tackling those yet awhile........  (Although I AM now seriously tempted to dig out the bits and pieces for the shed: I am given pause only by the numerous uncompleted narrow-gauge projects currently on the stocks.)

As to "believe it or not",   I believe it all too well.   There will be several NG locomotives which I've built from scratch from basically one dimension (eg overall length,  or rigid wheelbase),  a few photographs and a hell of a lot of cross-checking,  eg with the known rail-gauge if an appropriate head (ish) or tail (ish) photograph is available.  The secret (assuming that I've found it) is to keep looking with a skeptical eye at the drawing as it proceeds and at the model as it is fabricated.  Any departure from  apparent proportionality is a warning that all is not well -- some assumption has gone wrong.

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie

David,

That glue sounds fabulous!

There are various grades of Loctite which create pretty robust joints between bits of metal, so that one of them might be capable of being pressed into service in this way.  Whatever,  there'd be a need to fabricate at least two jigs:  one for the one-rail railings and one for the two-rail ones.    There might also have to be a "sloping" one to cope with the stairway handrails.....  For glued assembly,  they could be in styrene.  For soldering,  they'd have to be wooden.......

To be honest,  the stairways cause me more concern than the handrails.  I believe that I COULD produce the handrails,  although with little joy other than that of completion.  But I'm not so sure about the steps!

And I ought to thank you seriously for that reference to BRILL.  I bought a back issue,  and the picture there is,  of course as a full-page print,  beautifully clear and detailed.  Between that and the jigger side picture of the Kittybrewster tower which I mentioned  the coverage is excellent.  The main differences between the two appear to lie in the various offices grouped around the base and/or under the jigger platform.  I shall not be tackling those yet awhile........  (Although I AM now seriously tempted to dig out the bits and pieces for the shed: I am given pause only by the numerous uncompleted narrow-gauge projects currently on the stocks.)

As to "believe it or not",   I believe it all too well.   There will be several NG locomotives which I've built from scratch from basically one dimension (eg overall length,  or rigid wheelbase),  a few photographs and a hell of a lot of cross-checking,  eg with the known rail-gauge if an appropriate head (ish) or tail (ish) photograph is available.  The secret (assuming that I've found it) is to keep looking with a skeptical eye at the drawing as it proceeds and at the model as it is fabricated.  Any departure from  apparent proportionality is a warning that all is not well -- some assumption has gone wrong.

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

I have made some enquiries and the glue I was referring to is "Hafixs Professional Glue", if you google it you will find suppliers in this country.

Now I now the name I will purchase some myself I do recommend it but use it with caution.

Regards

David

David,

Many thanks.  I'd never have found that unaided.

Sounds like a product to use with circumspection:  I see fire-brigades being called-out to remove unwary modellers from all sorts of heavy furniture,  plumbed facilities,  and even motor vehicles......

auldreekie

David,

Many thanks. I'd never have found that unaided.

Sounds like a product to use with circumspection: I see fire-brigades being called-out to remove unwary modellers from all sorts of heavy furniture, plumbed facilities, and even motor vehicles......

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

I like that I will proberbly be one of them as I always seem to glue bits to my hands rather than the model itself.

Just spent a few hours working out the water tank dimensions and details, having looked at it in greater detail it seems to be easier than I originally thought it we be.

Details and photos to follow in due course..

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes