Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Hi

Now its Bachmann Conversion A2/3 60511 Airborne, (what a great name) to take its turn onto Haymarket's Turntable, I have replaced the cab side number transfers using Foxes 10" numbers as the ones I originally fitted where to thin and in my opinion these look much more realistic and more like the prototype.

Please note the static grass embankment in the foreground has only had a 2mm base-coat layer and still needs to be completed.

Regards

David

60511_IMG_0291B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Information
  • Like 14

Hi

Today's photo is taken at high level and shows the eastern shed elevation and yard.

With A2/3 60511 Airborne being turned and an overall view of the turntable, this is the standard Peco 00 scale turntable with modifications which includes a vacuum apparatus housing and support platform plus the removal of the oversized plastic handrails which were replaced with brass wire plus a few other alterations.

Regards

David

60511_IMG_0327B.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Turntable looks very good David.  The wire handrails are a big improvement, I've got that in mind for mine too but waiting until other scenic works is done as I think they might be quite vulnerable.

How did you do the brick lining to the well?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 31A said:

Turntable looks very good David.  The wire handrails are a big improvement, I've got that in mind for mine too but waiting until other scenic works is done as I think they might be quite vulnerable.

How did you do the brick lining to the well?

Hi

Thank you, the brick lining is just brick card sheets by Metcalfe stuck on with PVA glue to the plastic face of the turntable pit.

MetalSmiths website indicates they will produce a brass turntable kit exactly the same as Haymarket's but that was about five years ago and its still not available yet according to their website so I gave up.

I am just having a go at some of the scenic works that are not near any track work or points at the moment. 

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

Hi

Another view across the four main running lines that went from Waverley Station to the North and passed the MPD, this view is looking in a southerly direction towards the turntable.

The track work in the foreground is all C & L Finescale with the 1.5mm thick sleeper but it will look a lot better once the ballasting has been completed, the camera can be so cruel when it comes to closeup work.

Regards

David

60511_IMG_0353B.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Yes David I agree. What looks "perfect" to the naked eye (with or without specs!) looks really rough in a photograph! I am thinking here of my work and not yours! Wonderful layout!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Richard 

Thank you that’s very kind of you thanks for your reply, but those sleepers do look huge in the photo as it’s so close up.

They  do look much better on the actual layout and once the ballasting is completed it should all look fine.

Regards 

David

• Agree 1

Good Evening

Tonight's photo is one I have been thinking about trying to replicate for some years now, it was taken back in 1959 so here is my attempt to reproduce it.

This is my own tribute to the late Harry Knox, ex Haymarket railwayman who sadly passed away recently,  he was also an author of quite a few railway books four of which indicate in-depth views of the three main Edinburgh steam motive power depots Haymarket, St Margarets and Dalry Road all excellent books.

Sadly I never had the pleasure of meeting Harry personally but I did often communicated with him via Email, he was always very helpful and a proper gentleman with a great knowledge of Haymarket MPD.

In fact it was purchasing Harry's Book "Steam Days At Haymarket" that set me on the road to try to produce the MPD in 00 scale and without the help I have received over the years from both Harry and RMWeb member Eric Kidd "Longdrem & Pinkhill Layout" It would have been a much harder task.

I first saw this photo on the cover of Harry's second book on Haymarket and to me it says everything about the MPD in steam days and its wonderful locomotives it's a great photo.

I have also included a copy of the original as well to compare, but I have had to change the identity of most of the locomotives in the photo as I do not have them at the present time in fact the only one I have is A3 60097 Humorist.

Regards

David 

60004-60016_Haymarket_MPD_1959A.jpg

60023_IMG_0418.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Replacement Photo
  • Like 19

Good Morning

Two more photographs this sunny morning, this time showing views across the Eastern shed yard looking West towards the main shed building with a variety of smaller outbuildings as well, both views are taken from the edge of the layout.

Just one other detail, there will be a timber foot crossing laid across all tracks  which will be located between the end of the brown painted Air Raid shelter in the foreground and the green conservatory on the back of the main office building, this gave the railwaymen and staff safe passage across all running lines from the MPD access road located off Russell Road.

Regards

David

Shed_View_IMG_0390B.jpg

Shed_View_IMG_0369B_edited-1.jpg

Edited by landscapes
spelling
  • Like 14

Hi

A high level view looking in a North East direction over the shed roof top.

The two J83's in the background are both Hornby early models modified and both renumbered to represent Haymarket locos, perhaps one day they will re-tool it and improve it considerably.

Regards

David

65311_IMG_0440B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional information
  • Like 13

Good morning

I thought I would try to give an idea on what the Haymarket layout looks like from an overall planning point of view.

When I first decided to try to recreate Haymarket MPD in 4mm scale I went to see Norman Saunders of "Just Tracks" to discuss the possibilities.

I soon found out that the layout length for the entire MPD would be approximately 7 meters long but more important the overall width of the layout would be over 2 meters wide, the overall length of the main running shed would have been 1,344 mm in length and for those reasons I cannot produce a prototype layout in the same way as Tony has produced Little Bytham or Gilbert with Peterborough North.

For the available space I have a layout of this size would have been impossible and to have a layout over 2 meters wide would not have been practical when trying to reach or work on areas in the middle of the layout.

So we came up with a layout to give an idea of what Haymarket was in the late 1950's, there are 9 baseboards overall,  each one measuring 610mm x 1220mm.

At present I only have the space for four of these baseboards that is until I find a bigger house.

I enclose two photos, the first photo shows the overall layout which Norman produced for me using the Templot programme, it shows the nine baseboards and in the first phase I am working on board No's 4 to 7 which housed most of the main building and structures some of which are marked on the layout.

This is and end to end layout so I need some way to finish of the scenics at each end, in reality there was a line that crossed the main running lines West from Waverley to Glasgow and Aberdeen crossing at 90 degrees and went down to Dalry Road, this was situated just to the East of Haymarket MPD and before Haymarket station this may be a way to finish of the layout at the Eastern end.

The second photo is just an early interpretation of how I might finish of the layout at the eastern end, and at the other end of the layout there was just main running lines so I will have to come up with an idea, maybe just an embankment with an over bridge for the running lines to disappear under.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Regards

David

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0010A.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Good morning

Yesterday I took the opportunity to raise and level up the two approach tracks to the turn table.

I have have discovered a bit of an enigma, the turntable is the standard 00 scale Peco turntable Ref No LK-55 with various modifications such as brass handrails and the fitting of a vacuum motor and housing platform (Photo 2).

When I have the turntable in the first position both approach tracks line up perfectly ( Photo 1), but when I turn it 180 degrees and line up one end the opposite approach line is out by about almost a rail width (Photo 3) and I have no idea why.

This is my first time to build and install a turntable and as far as I can see it has all been installed and fitted correctly, has anyone come across this problem before?

Any help or suggestions most welcome, photos enclosed showing the problem.

Regards

David

IMG_0467_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0462_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0468_edited-1.jpg

Edited by landscapes
additional information
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, what a strange problem!  It kind of suggests that the pivot is somehow not in the centre of the deck, but having made one myself quite recently I don't know how it would be possible to put it together in such a way that that was the case.

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure the only possible way for that problem to occur is for the centre pivot to be not quite central.

Quite what you can do about it, I'm unsure. Would a subframe carrying the pivot be possible? if so, then it could be fitted so as to be adjustable by a mm each way, then experiment until it's right?

Edited by JeffP
  • Thanks 1

Hi

Thank you all for your replies.

The turntables main structure has a central plastic pivot which drops through a hole in the centre of the well then a plastic collar fits over the pivot to hold it in place.

I have removed it and run a file around the edges of the hole just to make sure there is now minor obstruction but it has made no difference.

There is a tiny bit of play on the pivot so I may look at glueing a thin pice is paper around the top of the pivot to thicken it up and see if that works.

If not I may speak to Peco to see if they know how to over come the problem.

Thanks again for the interest and replies.

Regards

David

I would think that if the pivot is not central them the table would jam when turned. Could the line on the table be slightly skewed off centre? Just a thought before looking at more complicated solutions .

• Thanks 1

Hi 

I think I have resolved the problem, I re looked at the fitting instructions from Peco and the bottom half of the collar that fits into the turntable pit should be glued down and I decided to leave it unglued until its all wired up.

As far as I can see this is giving some extra play on the turntable deck, once this is glued down into position it should remove the play on the deck and hopefully both ends will line up correctly no matter what position the deck is in.

Thank you all again for your replies and help.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 19/04/2020 at 11:52, landscapes said:

Good morning

Yesterday I took the opportunity to raise and level up the two approach tracks to the turn table.

I have have discovered a bit of an enigma, the turntable is the standard 00 scale Peco turntable Ref No LK-55 with various modifications such as brass handrails and the fitting of a vacuum motor and housing platform (Photo 2).

When I have the turntable in the first position both approach tracks line up perfectly ( Photo 1), but when I turn it 180 degrees and line up one end the opposite approach line is out by about almost a rail width (Photo 3) and I have no idea why.

This is my first time to build and install a turntable and as far as I can see it has all been installed and fitted correctly, has anyone come across this problem before?

Any help or suggestions most welcome, photos enclosed showing the problem.

Regards

David

IMG_0467_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0462_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0468_edited-1.jpg

Very interesting I had a similar issue when trying to fit the indexing and motor onto my turntable. I had put it down to that rather than the turntable itself however I'll now have to take another look at it.

On 19/04/2020 at 19:53, landscapes said:

Hi 

I think I have resolved the problem, I re looked at the fitting instructions from Peco and the bottom half of the collar that fits into the turntable pit should be glued down and I decided to leave it unglued until its all wired up.

As far as I can see this is giving some extra play on the turntable deck, once this is glued down into position it should remove the play on the deck and hopefully both ends will line up correctly no matter what position the deck is in.

Thank you all again for your replies and help.

Regards

David

I've also got mine like this currently as I didn't want to commit to fixing it all together. Fingers crossed you've found the problem. 

Cheers 

Pete

8 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

Very interesting I had a similar issue when trying to fit the indexing and motor onto my turntable. I had put it down to that rather than the turntable itself however I'll now have to take another look at it.

I've also got mine like this currently as I didn't want to commit to fixing it all together. Fingers crossed you've found the problem. 

Cheers 

Pete

Hi Pete

Yes all resolved,, by glueing down the bottom section is the turntable collar with the brass connectors into the circular hole in the middle of the pit it has removed the play on the turntable deck.

Now one direction is absolutely spot on both ends and when I turn it 180 degrees one end is also perfect and the other end is still out but by only a fraction of a millimetre and it does not affect locomotives entering or leaving the turntable in any way.

Thank you for your reply 

Regards 

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Glad you've got it sorted out!

I can't tell from your pictures whether you've done it or not, but I found filing slight chamfers on the sides of the rail head ends on both the table and the approach rails made it easier for loco wheels to cope with slight misalignments.

8 hours ago, 31A said:

Glad you've got it sorted out!

I can't tell from your pictures whether you've done it or not, but I found filing slight chamfers on the sides of the rail head ends on both the table and the approach rails made it easier for loco wheels to cope with slight misalignments.

Hi

I was told to do that as well, but I will wait until I wire up the approach road rails to the turntable then file them down.

I have been editing some photos I took yesterday on the layout of A3 60097 Humorist on shed, I will post some later.

Regards

David

• Like 1