Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Hi

This evenings photos show the unique Gresley A3 60097 Humorist and J36 65311Haig both outside the main shed building.

Both are Hornby RTR Locomotives, I cannot remember what the donor model was for A3 60097 but it was fitted with the unique brass smoke deflectors made by Jackson Evans some years ago.

Regards

David

IMG_0593B_edited-3.jpg

IMG_0638BB.jpg

Edited by landscapes
photos attached
  • Like 17

Good Evening

Todays two photos show Hornby J36 65311 Haig running past the main engine shed with some empty coaches, this view is taken from the embankment looking back across the main running lines west down towards the water and coaling towers.

The second photo is a high level view over the Eastern elevation with PDK A2/1 60510 Robert the Bruce on the turntable with the Waverley Headboard and locomotives outside the running shed are all Hornby & Bachmann RTR models, A4 60027 Merlin with the Talisman Headboard, A3 60097 Humorist, A2 60529 Pearl Diver and finally A4 60012 Commonwealth of Australia with the Elizabethan Headboard.

Regards

David

65311_IMG_0700B_edited-1.jpg

60510_IMG_0715BB_edited-1.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

Good afternoon

A few new photos today of A2/1 60510 Robert The Bruce in the east yard and a typical panoramic view across the eastern elevation of the main Haymarket shed building with a line up of LNER Pacifics.

Regards

David

60510_IMG_0739BB.jpg

60510_IMG_0753BB.jpg

60529_IMG_0773BB.jpg

• Like 15

I’m really looking forward to seeing this ballasted! 

i love ballasting, especially in sheds as you can’t go far wrong- even mistakes can turn out well. The thing is they were so mucky, you really can do a ‘Fidy shades of gritty grey’ jobbie and get away with it.

the models are superb, I really enjoy your work David 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

I’m really looking forward to seeing this ballasted! 

i love ballasting, especially in sheds as you can’t go far wrong- even mistakes can turn out well. The thing is they were so mucky, you really can do a ‘Fidy shades of gritty grey’ jobbie and get away with it.

the models are superb, I really enjoy your work David 

Hi Peter 

Thank you for your kind comments, I totally agree with all your comments.

I can wait to get into the scenics, they will greatly improve the look of the layout.

Norman Saunders of Just Tracks who is based in Swindon is going to help me with the wiring, there are so many points on the layout but Covud19 has stopped it in its tracks (please forgive the pun)

As soon as things improve Norman will help and advise me on the electrical wiring of the layout, once that’s done and the track work fixed in place I can get into the weathering Of the buildings and ballasting of the track work.

Thanks again and take care.

Regards

David

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

At yes that gnarly old chestnut!

i am forever grateful that when I did my shed, I put it on hinges. There are around 40 point motors there - most hanging off the points, and when solder goes dry, or a motor fails, it makes it so much easier if you’re not trying to deal with it upside down. Not least because reading glasses never quite focus in the right place!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, bigwordsmith said:

At yes that gnarly old chestnut!

i am forever grateful that when I did my shed, I put it on hinges. There are around 40 point motors there - most hanging off the points, and when solder goes dry, or a motor fails, it makes it so much easier if you’re not trying to deal with it upside down. Not least because reading glasses never quite focus in the right place!

Hi Peter 

when I built the support framework for Haymarket’s base boards  it was always with the thought I would have to take it all apart at some point as a move is on the cards within the next three to four years.

each base board measures 1200mm x 605mm with a light weight frame of softwood blocks sandwiched between 9mm plywood strips.

I tried different methods of linking the boards together but just did not get it right so I used mild steel straps top and bottom and the whole structure is now rock solid.

I also drilled and fitted adjustable feet to the bottom of each support leg.

I did recently have to take all the boards apart and was presently surprised how easy it was and how they went back together still  level and stable as well

I enclose a few photos to show the construction and straps.

I too wear glasses for close up work and mine fall off if I’m working upside down it a bit frustrating  at times

Regarding the point work so far I have have 14 turnout points hand build by Norman using C&L Finescale components that’s half of what is required for the whole layout.

I just don’t trust my soldering skills, it will be a costly mistake if I ruin any of them.

Very Nice talking to you as usual.

Regards

David

47BBE33D-F7BF-400F-92F3-BA4594FC0A85.jpeg

FD3A353A-5066-41B3-88B5-B04FE4A40D07.jpeg

• Like 4

That's pretty impressive David and far more transportable than mine.

It has ended up as a 12' x 2' board tha has grown like topsy, but the whole thing is supported on two trestles, which came from IKEA, as you can see in this pic of it open for maintenance

IMG_1318.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

That's pretty impressive David and far more transportable than mine.

It has ended up as a 12' x 2' board tha has grown like topsy, but the whole thing is supported on two trestles, which came from IKEA, as you can see in this pic of it open for maintenance

IMG_1318.jpg

Hi Peter

But you at least have installed the wiring which is something I haven't been able to do so far.

Looking forward to seeing what ever progress you do on your new model layout venture.

Regards

David

My Father was a captain in the Royal Signals during WW2 and was part of Montgomery's HQ Team setting up comms across Europe post D-Day. As a signaller he learned all about wiring , which he passed on to me, and it has meant that while I find live frog double slips deeply frustrating, I am actually reasonably adept at working out how wire A and Wire B should go together.

Unfortunately my soldering is a bit ham fisted! I have a very good friend who is an electrical engineer, who volunteered to tidy it all up for me - he of course had not seen it at the time, and so far has failed to arrive with soldering iron in hand!

14 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

My Father was a captain in the Royal Signals during WW2 and was part of Montgomery's HQ Team setting up comms across Europe post D-Day. As a signaller he learned all about wiring , which he passed on to me, and it has meant that while I find live frog double slips deeply frustrating, I am actually reasonably adept at working out how wire A and Wire B should go together.

Unfortunately my soldering is a bit ham fisted! I have a very good friend who is an electrical engineer, who volunteered to tidy it all up for me - he of course had not seen it at the time, and so far has failed to arrive with soldering iron in hand!

Hi Peter

probably the same as me with Norman, the dreaded virus has put a hold on lots of things.

I with you on the soldering but I do feel very comfortable working with timber and planning as I come from a construction background 

Regards

David

Hi Good Afternoon 

A couple of new photos trying out a slightly different close up angle with Bachmann A2 60529 Pearl Diver which I renumbered and named from 60533 Happy Knight plus other loco's.

There are also some additions to the railwaymen's bike shed.

Regards

David

60529_IMG_0869B.jpg

60529_IMG_0876B.jpg

• Like 15

Hi

A Happy VE day to everyone.

I enclose this afternoons two photos taken in the East Yard of Haymarket, a resident D11/2 and a visiting A2/3 from the North East.

I usually take time setting up scenes to photograph but with the D11/2 photo I just placed the camera down onto the layout and fired the shutter button with a cable release and this was result.

I was very pleased with the result and feel it really shows of the beautiful lines of these locomotives.

Regards

David

62690_IMG_0914B.jpg

60521_IMG_0901B.jpg

• Like 14

Hi 

Todays photos show mainly Thompsons Pacific's and one of my favourite views looking across the East Yard

For once none of the three Thompson Pacific's are RTR, one is a PDK Kit and two Bachmann/Graeme King conversions.

Regards

David

62690_IMG_0925BB.jpg

60510_IMG_0943B.jpg

• Like 12

Hi

Still experimenting with different angles and views around the main shed and East Yard, todays  photos show Thompson's A2/3 60511 Airborne and Gresley's A3 60097 Humorist both on shed.

Regards

David

60511_IMG_0979B.jpg

62690_IMG_1007B.jpg

• Like 12

On 10/05/2020 at 17:40, landscapes said:

Hi 

Todays photos show mainly Thompsons Pacific's and one of my favourite views looking across the East Yard

For once none of the three Thompson Pacific's are RTR, one is a PDK Kit and two Bachmann/Graeme King conversions.

Regards

David

62690_IMG_0925BB.jpg

60510_IMG_0943B.jpg

Hi David ,

Your big Thompsons look very natural , all it needs is smoke & steam!

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on the layout once this current situation is resolved . Incidentally the Jackson Evans range is still available from Precision Paints .

All the Best ,

Ray .,

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Hi David ,

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on the layout once this current situation is resolved . Incidentally the Jackson Evans range is still available from Precision Paints .

All the Best ,

Ray .,

Hi Ray

Thank you for your kind comments, I must go on to their website and a have a look.

Regarding progress, I am still waiting to get the track and points wiring completed once this is done and the track-work glued in place I can get onto the scenics part of the project which includes altering the track-work over the inspection pits so they become more visible.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Good Evening

Today there is only one photo, as I finally managed under controlled circumstances got a round of golf in.

This is an aerial photo of the East elevation and yard, with two of the old Hornby J83's, both have been significantly detailed as the original model out of the box model is awful, but J 83's were regulars around Haymarket MPD

Both have had GWR Pannier tank 0-6-0 chassis fitted as the original chassis were far to high and they both run much smother now, also both fitted with circular port hole style windows, timber running boards fitted below the cabs, real coal, crews and weathering amongst  other alterations.

If only I had the patients to carve off those horrid moulded handrails and fit new brass ones.

The alterations have improved the model considerably in my view but the model is still crying out for an updated and improved version that is for those of us who do not have the skills to build kits.

Regards

David

62690_IMG_1026B.jpg

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Hi David ,

All the Best ,

Ray .,

Hi Ray

As requested some smoke & steam.

Regards

David

62690_IMG_1026S.jpg

• Like 9

Golf you say ....you lucky %$#@&€ :D, spare a thought for us in the vicinity of your layouts prototype. I've taken to walking round the course layout sans clubs of course as my exercise. Best I've played in years it was, didn't loose a ball or three putt!!!

Love those steamy pictures which made me wonder how possible would it be to get a more appropriate backdrop picture (hope that doesn't sound critical). If you had that that it really would take your excellent steamy photos to a new level for me.

I guess the tricky thing would be fitting in the rugby stadium into any backscene, if indeed you wanted to go that far.

Hi millerhillboy

Thank you, I have only been playing golf for just over two years I took it up as an alternative sport when I stopped playing competitive tennis and had my best round for nine holes so far.

Mind you due to the lockdown the golf course was in beautiful condition all credit to the ground staff.

I totally agree with your comments regarding the backdrop,  but to be quite honest I do not know where to start in trying to produce one from a picture point of view.

The backDrop would have to represent an Edinburgh scene of over Sixty years ago.

I do have many photos of Haymarket In the 1950’s and I am trying to build up an idea of the backdrop from them.

Incidentally the Rugby Stadium would be located behind the first three baseboards which would be the West Yard of the MPD and those boards due to a lack of space are still to be constructed.

I do not look at your comments as criticism in fact I would welcome any ideas especially from fellow members who live in the area and knew the engine shed.

As I have said I will try to build up and overall picture for the backstop from what photos I have and them see if I can then speak to one of the companies who produce backboards.

Also bearing In mind the backdrop will  be 18 feet in length, I’m not sure how high it would need to be at the moment.

The backdrops I photoshop in at the moment are just experimenting to Try to get ideas as I do not want just a sky background as I think it would not look right.

Thanks for your reply 

Regards

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/05/2020 at 21:21, landscapes said:

Hi Ray

As requested some smoke & steam.

Regards

David

62690_IMG_1026S.jpg

Thanks , David , Great atmosphere ,it takes me back to my shed bashing days many years ago .

Cheers ,Ray .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/05/2020 at 08:14, landscapes said:

Hi millerhillboy

Thank you, I have only been playing golf for just over two years I took it up as an alternative sport when I stopped playing competitive tennis and had my best round for nine holes so far.

Mind you due to the lockdown the golf course was in beautiful condition all credit to the ground staff.

I totally agree with your comments regarding the backdrop,  but to be quite honest I do not know where to start in trying to produce one from a picture point of view.

The backDrop would have to represent an Edinburgh scene of over Sixty years ago.

I do have many photos of Haymarket In the 1950’s and I am trying to build up an idea of the backdrop from them.

Incidentally the Rugby Stadium would be located behind the first three baseboards which would be the West Yard of the MPD and those boards due to a lack of space are still to be constructed.

I do not look at your comments as criticism in fact I would welcome any ideas especially from fellow members who live in the area and knew the engine shed.

As I have said I will try to build up and overall picture for the backstop from what photos I have and them see if I can then speak to one of the companies who produce backboards.

Also bearing In mind the backdrop will  be 18 feet in length, I’m not sure how high it would need to be at the moment.

The backdrops I photoshop in at the moment are just experimenting to Try to get ideas as I do not want just a sky background as I think it would not look right.

Thanks for your reply 

Regards

David

Hi David

Good luck with the golf, a more frustrating pastime you could not have chosen but yet somehow perversely addictive and enjoyable. I've been a member of two clubs over the 30+ years I've played (man and boy) and both have had mainlines running through or beside the course which always helps distract from bad rounds!!

Anyway, I'm glad you took my comments in the way they were intended, I was worried it sounded a bit critical. What you've got is superb and will continue to get better. I guess I'm just used to seeing the normal real background over the (recent) years.

I don't envy you or anyone needing to shoehorn in a prototypical background on any layout. Moreso when its from the past and not to mention when having a large rugby stadium somewhere in the vacinity. What I was thinking that even an urban background would make much more sense for you even if it wasn't prototypical.

The other thing I had in my mind is that there is noticable populated urban hill area in the background of most of the pictures you are posting. Think its Murrayfield/Ravelston area.

The following picture represents what I would regard as the notable background

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1039025

Great work as I say, and keep posting. I'm enjoying seeing you progress. I was too young for steam in the Edinburgh area but am familiar with local railways since the 80s onwards but I've developed an interested in both 64A and 64B as well as the various sub-sheds.

regards

Craig