Haymarket 64B

landscapes

I've been watching this thread with admiration since the beginning. It brings back memories - I only went round the shed once in steam days, but several times after that.

You ask about the details of the roof. I'm looking at the picture you posted on 11 December 2012 - in particular what you describe as the 'windowless roof lights to the east wall roof elevation'. Were you working from a dated picture when you built that part of the roof? Because I've seen a picture taken in the 1950s where the east-facing side of that first roof looks quite different. Those windowless roof lights are part of  what looks like a row of rooflights almost right across the whole roof. If they are roof lights, all of them, except those directly over the shed roads, are glazed.

The picture is in an article titled 'Edinburgh (Haymarket) shed in the 1950s' in 'Steam Days' for February 2008. The picture in the article concentrate on the engines, but there are 3 or 4 which show the east and west ends of the shed.

Hi pH

You are spot on when you say that the roof lights to both the East and West elevation roofs were continuous across the whole width of the shed roof, but over the years they deteriorated due to wear and tear and locomotives in the shed building opening their safety valves as well, and that's were my main problem with modelling roof lies, what period do I show on the model.

My period is 1957 to 1961 but there were several more additional changes even in that short part of Haymarket's history with the early introduction of diesels.

In my modelling period the East roof elevation should show the whole roof boarded and felted with just the eight glassless windows open to the elements.

I could have tried to re-create this by using strips of masking tape painted dark Gray or Black to represent the felt sheeting but in my opinion this looks very shabby so I went for a compromise of still using the open vents as of the late 1950's and early 1960's but keeping with a time worn slate roof how it would have been in the very early 1950's.

So I have created a bit of a mixture in time, not quite authentic but hopefully a more pleasing finish to the eye.

The West roof elevation is quite easy as it's a slated roof with a row of twelve continuous roof lights to one side and the roof was like this for some considerable time

Many thanks for your kind comments.

Regards

David

• Like 2

David, I just brought that up in case you didn't know about that particular arrangement of the roof - though I would have been amazed if you didn't! What you've done looks great - I like the odd broken slate. 

Roof/slates look pretty good to me!  Even look weathered, although you say that still needed?  (I'm looking at shade variation at left hand end).  It might br the picture, but the only very slight nit that might be picked is that just above the holes the row spacing looks a bit off?  Having said that I would be very happy with that on the roof I've to slate and keep putting off!

Trust this is of some slight assistance!

Cheers,

26power

HI Guys
It,s been a while since my last update.

I have been trying to create the look of a well worn tiled roof using Sandsides method of strips of tiles on white card.

I have completed the first of twelve roof sections but I am not sure if it looks right or if I could improve on it, it still has to be weathered and fitted in place complete with ridge tiles.

But before I go any further I would welcome any constructive comments from my fellow members, do you think it looks acceptable or do you think it spoils the overall look.

I always respect the feedback I get from the Web.

Regards

David

Roof/slates look pretty good to me!  Even look weathered, although you say that still needed?  (I'm looking at shade variation at left hand end).  It might br the picture, but the only very slight nit that might be picked is that just above the holes the row spacing looks a bit off?  Having said that I would be very happy with that on the roof I've to slate and keep putting off!

Trust this is of some slight assistance!

Cheers,

26power

Hi 26power

Many thanks for your comments and honest criticism, I know what you mean I saw that as well.

I was trying to get a well worn roof look so I tried to make it look as if some of the rows of slates had slipped slightly, but maybe that wasn't such a good idea after all but too late now.

Thanks again.

David

• 2 months later...

Good afternoon all

Well having returned from four weeks in Australia I now finally have a chance to update the progress on Haymarket 64B which has taken place over the past week and enclose a few photos to indicate the changes so far.

Photo No MPD16 shows part of the shed interior, please note the the underside of the roof panels will be pained dark Gray and weathered before the panels are fixed in place.

Following my last post on the 14th January and the very welcomed positive criticisms from Hi26power to which I fully agreed with I decided to re-do the main roof to the East elevation wall to improve the roof tiling and also to incorporate the plywood and felted panels that replaced most of the existing dilapidated roof lights at Haymarket MPD during the period of the 1950's.

This work was carried out due to wear and tear on the roof over the years and from the locomotive regulators going off whilst the loco's were still inside the shed building, this in my opinion gives a more accurate view of the east wall roof in the period I am modelling.

I have also completed over half of the 12 roof panels required,

And I am now with the help of Replica Railways in Swindon looking at LED lights to both the shed interior and wall lights to each of the four external corners of the shed building itself.

There are still lots of fiddly bits still to be complete when the roof panels are finally fixed in place plus a final coat of weathering and grime to indicate about sixty years of day to day use, this should then bring this model to a final conclusion.

Then it's onto the next building at Haymarket being the large water tower which was located by the side of the South wall next the the coaling stage.

Hope the enclosed are of interest to anyone looking at this thread.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-44121300-1364142520_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-20102500-1364142547_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-69588000-1364142587_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-53282600-1364142614_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 16

Hi Guys

Many thanks for all of you for your kind words of encouragement, with refrence to the trackbed Ian it's a new form of quilted ballast, very clean and sound proof.

But my wife is threatening to not only remove the trackbed but also scrap the shed building if I do not get it off the dining room table very soon.

I am trying to hold out until the building is completed if I can.

Regards

David

Hi David,Very impressed with your efforts, I will watch with interest its development. Have you given any thought to what turntable you will use? I don't know if you've seen the one that Metalsmith Ltd are develpoing at the moment I think its exactly what you need for Haymarket . Take a lookMetalSmith Ltd.KetteringNN16 8NSEnglandhttp://www.metalsmith.co.uk/4mm_scale_00_EM_P4.htmCheersIan H(Haymarket Cross)

Hi Ian

I forgot to say that following your post in December last I have recently spoken to MetalSmiths about their turntable range and they have informed me that they will be producing a 70'-0" turntable based on the one installed at Haymarket towards the end of this year.

Not sure on actural costs at this time but looks to be around £400.00 for a fully finished operating one.

Thanks for the tip as the turntable was quite a prominent part of the running of 64B, and would make a good centre piece to the layout.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Hi David,

Not sure if you were still looking for a turntable, as you look like you are pretty well set on the one from metalsmiths, but as a cheap alternative you could also try SE finecast as their turntable looks very similar to the one at Haymarket. I am also doing a layout based on Haymarket but I will not be doing quite the detail you are doing and mine will have quite a lot of artistic license as I only have 2 foot of width to play with. I will also wait with baited breath for the metalsmiths turntable but in the mean time I'll get an SE finecast.

Anyway the turntables can be found here: http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Turntables/Turntables.htm

Regards

Jules 

Hi Jules

Thanks for the information, I have purchased Some white metal double chimneys for my Hornby A3 conversions in the past from SE Finecast but was not aware that they produced turntable kits.

I am trying to replicate the depot as accurate as I can so it needs to be as close as possible, but I will give them a call next week.

Interesting that you are also building a layout of Haymarket as well. you might have the right idea using artistic licence as trying to re-produce the depot as it was 55 years ago is a real problem when you have limited information.

Would be nice to see some photos of your layout sometime in the future.

I now realise that this project is going to take a very long time to complete, but then that's the fun of modelling.

I have now almost completed the west elevation wall so some more photo's to follow soon.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You're making great progress on your shed.  Inspiration for mine when I start work on it.  My first job is to sort out the measurements. As you say, it's a long job.

I presume you are glazing the north lights.  Will you heavily weather them or leave them cleaner so locos beneath are visible?

I'm still undecided on which turntable to use.  No point spending money until I know the rest works though I'm looking at those available and seeing how they look and operate on other layouts.

Keep going, David.  It's coming along just fine.

Polly

Hi Polly

Getting the measurements and proportions correct before you start building is is important.

Yes I will be glazing all of the roof lights and will probably give them a light dusting of weathering.

I have been looking at turntable in great depth and MetalSmiths are by miles the best but very costly compared with other makes.

Good luck with your project.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly

Getting the measurements and proportions correct before you start building is is important.

Yes I will be glazing all of the roof lights and will probably give them a light dusting of weathering.

I have been looking at turntable in great depth and MetalSmiths are by miles the best but very costly compared with other makes.

Good luck with your project.

Regards

David

I agree with you on the turntable, David.  And they do a very nice 65ft GWR one which I will need if I go along with the prototype I'm basing mine on.  Start saving methinks.

Polly

When I did my Haymarket Cross layout I didn't know about Metalsmiths so purchased a Fleischmann one and after much cutting and gluing have Anglosised it. This has worked really well at all the shows we have attended with positive comments from many. I also have another Fleischmann turntable in my fiddle yard which is standard and this also works well. Having seen layouts with working turntables at shows the main problem they seem to have is accurate lining up so I knew that as mine would be in use all the time it had to line up every time, this the Fleischmann one does brilliantly.  I have been in touch with Metalsmiths but at the moment there seems to be no movement with their 70' table so its the old Fleischmann for now.

Ian H

• Like 1

Hi Ian

I spoke to Metalsmiths about four weeks ago and they hope to have the new 70'-0" turntable which is actually based on the Haymarket one ready by the end of this year.

They could not give me a firm price but said that a fully finished ready to run 70'-0" turntable and well will be in the region of between £370.00 to £400.00 so it gives me time to save up my pocket money.

Please keep the Haymarket Cross photos coming they certainly give me the inspiration I need to continue with my project.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

When I did my Haymarket Cross layout I didn't know about Metalsmiths so purchased a Fleischmann one and after much cutting and gluing have Anglosised it. This has worked really well at all the shows we have attended with positive comments from many. I also have another Fleischmann turntable in my fiddle yard which is standard and this also works well. Having seen layouts with working turntables at shows the main problem they seem to have is accurate lining up so I knew that as mine would be in use all the time it had to line up every time, this the Fleischmann one does brilliantly.  I have been in touch with Metalsmiths but at the moment there seems to be no movement with their 70' table so its the old Fleischmann for now.

Ian H

I've seen Haymarket Cross several times now and I'm certainly impressed with the reliability of the turntables.

No doubt I will be queuing up to see HC again sometime this year and next.... and with a Metalsmith TT, perhaps.  One brilliant layout.

Polly

Hi all

A bit more Progress this weekend

I made up the twelve panel roof light which is located in the end roof section of the west elevation wall.

I decided to make the roof lights myself using Plastruct 1mm x 2mm sections a lot cheaper than having them made for me, and what a dogs breakfast the first attempt turned out to be.

So I made up a jig by cutting out a rectangle to the size I needed using 2mm thick card and marking the locations for the eleven mullions required, this method held everything in place while the glue set and it came out reasonably square as well, this is better than my first attempt but the large photos does show up any imperfections.

The West elevation roof is now fully completed and ready to be fixed in place once the internal LED lights have been sorted out and installed also needs to be glazed as well.

Photo enclosed.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-01705900-1364926077_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I've seen Haymarket Cross several times now and I'm certainly impressed with the reliability of the turntables.

No doubt I will be queuing up to see HC again sometime this year and next.... and with a Metalsmith TT, perhaps.  One brilliant layout.

Polly

Hi Polly

I fully agree with your comments on Haymarket Cross the photos in the BRM Magazine earlier this year were stunning.

Regards

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I recently purchased a Hornby A3 60077 "The White Knight" from EBay.

I have removed the German style smoke deflectors and carried out a few minor alterations as I want to convert it to 60101 Cicero for this project.

The donor locomotive has the correct tender and boiler that Cicero had as she was in the 1958 period, but I have only just realised that the reverser is a North British type and I require a Doncaster reverser which was straight with no kink in it.

Would any one have a spare Doncaster type and would be willing to swap, or know where I could purchase one.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Hi Polly

I fully agree with your comments on Haymarket Cross the photos in the BRM Magazine earlier this year were stunning.

Regards

David

David,

Since last on your thread I have had Model Rail at my house taking pictures for inclusion in the magazine. It seems that the guys that have been to photograph it like the night shots, I have one or two that were sent to me by Chris Nevard but at the moment I can't put them on RMweb as they haven't  as yet used them in the mag. Once in the mag I will post some, if you are interested in lighting for your shed I use RMlectronics led yard lamps which are excellent, they also do lamps for fitting on the walls of buildings which look really good with all the lights out!!! 

Cheers

Ian

Hi David,

Loving the continued detailed work on the shed building.

Have you noticed that there is an article on 64B in the BR steam era in this month's British Railways Illustrated magazine? Lot's of details about loco workings, etc.

David,

Since last on your thread I have had Model Rail at my house taking pictures for inclusion in the magazine. It seems that the guys that have been to photograph it like the night shots, I have one or two that were sent to me by Chris Nevard but at the moment I can't put them on RMweb as they haven't  as yet used them in the mag. Once in the mag I will post some, if you are interested in lighting for your shed I use RMlectronics led yard lamps which are excellent, they also do lamps for fitting on the walls of buildings which look really good with all the lights out!!! 

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Replica Railways who are in Swindon are going to install about 16 x 3mm warm white LED lights in the main shed building for me together with 4 specially made wall mounted lights as we're installed in Haymarket externally one to each corner of the shed building.

I think I will use the same as you used for yard lamps when I get to that point.

Getting back to your Haymarket Cross that BRM front cover night photo of your layout in my opinion is one of the very best model railway photos I have seen.

Looking forward to seeing more in both the Model Rail magazine and your thread.

Regards

David

Hi David,

Loving the continued detailed work on the shed building.

Have you noticed that there is an article on 64B in the BR steam era in this month's British Railways Illustrated magazine? Lot's of details about loco workings, etc.

Hi

Many thanks for your kind words, it is a long term project but I now feel that the main shed building is finally coming together.

There are still quite a few minor details to complete together with the shed lighting and I still have about Five of the main roof sections which need to be covered in slate tiles which is quite a tedious task but worth the finish when complete.

I did see the magazine when I was in my local WH Smiths, I have purchased a copy as there were some really good detail photos that will be very helpfully when working on the overall MPD layout.

The large water tower is the next building on my list to complete.

Regards

David