Haymarket 64B

landscapes

24 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

Great models, if the final Hornby A2/3 is 50% as good as the DJH kit you provided I will be very happy.

Regards

David

Thanks David,

In terms of overall appearance, I'm sure it'll be just as good.

The reason for my making one was not for Hornby to copy it (the manufacturing processes and materials are so different, anyway) but to actually have something which will (as near as visually possible) look the same and be able to be picked up and examined. Computer simulations and digital realities are all well and good, but I'm told having a physical object is invaluable.

Regards,

Tony. 

14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Richard,

May I ask how you made the riveted sections of the frames underneath the smokebox, please?

Dis you use one of Graeme King's etches to get the rivet/stud detail? This is one Graeme did himself, which I patch-repainted, detailed, numbered, named, lettered and weathered.

Tony. 

I can only offer resin frame pieces for that area, with moulded surface details. Those overlays must be from another source.

Edited by gr.king
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Richard,

May I ask how you made the riveted sections of the frames underneath the smokebox, please?

The DJH kits for both the A2/3 and A2/2 are weak in that area.........

Good evening Tony,

Firstly I must say that the A2/3 built by you are really first class and your work certainly inspires me.

The front section of the mainframes are such a distinctive part of all all the Thompson pacifics that I was surprised to find how basic the DJH casting was given the high quality of the rest of the kit, as you say, a weak point. I am though really enjoying building it.

I made the frame overlay's from 0.010" brass sheet (Eileen's Emporium) and added the rivet detail (likwise the tops of the running plate). The front of the cylinder castings and rivet heads are also visable so this was also added as was the ovoid inspection cover and brackets securing the bogie wheel "spats". Whilst I prefer soldering in this case I glued all the overlay's with Delux Roket Rapid superglue. I have my reservations about superglue (surface cleanliness is critical) but it is a useful tool.

I am a SR(BR) modeller - still need to complete my first layout but being progressed - but have a great interest in the LNER and the products of Doncaster and Darlington Works. I have an A2/2, A2/3 and W1 all on order. Don't know how I will justify them being on Basingstoke shed but I'll find a way!

Keep up the excellent work ans stay safe!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi

This is an example of Graeme's very clever A2/3 conversion using a Bachmann A2 donor.

I have also tried to enlarge the area Tony was referring to to show the resin version , god the camera can be cruel at times.

And before you tell me Tony I know I have still got to change those front bogie wheels

Regards

David 

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1820_edited-1.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Information
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, 30368 said:

Good evening Tony,

Firstly I must say that the A2/3 built by you are really first class and your work certainly inspires me.

The front section of the mainframes are such a distinctive part of all all the Thompson pacifics that I was surprised to find how basic the DJH casting was given the high quality of the rest of the kit, as you say, a weak point. I am though really enjoying building it.

I made the frame overlay's from 0.010" brass sheet (Eileens's Emporium) and added the rivet detail (likwise the tops of the running plate). The front of the cylinder castings and rivet heads are also visable so this was also added as was the ovoid inspection cover and brackets securing the bogie wheel "spats". Whilst I prefer soldering in this case I glued all the overlay's with Delux Roket Rapid superglue. I have my reservations about superglue (surface cleanliness is critical) but it is a useful tool.

I am a SR(BR) modeller - still need to complete my first layout but being progressed - but have a great interest in the LNER and the products of Doncaster and Darlington Works. I have an A2/2, A2/3 and W1 all on order. Don't know how I will justify them being on Basingstoke shed but I'll find a way!

Keep up the excellent work ans stay safe!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Good morning Richard,

Thank you.

At least you can justify this product of Doncaster at Basingstoke.............

992949591_4472atBasingstoke.jpg.4b052bb9637e069f5aa3b60a39c02674.jpg

I don't know the date, but no earlier than '63. I believe it's coming off the WR line into the station.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I don't know the date, but no earlier than '63. I believe it's coming off the WR line into the station.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good morning Tony,

Thanks for the picture, you are correct, 4472 on its way to the station. There were a couple of touring trips hauled by 4472 that passed through Basingstoke that I am aware of (probably many more by now).

My brother and I witnessed the first trip through Basingstoke by this locomotive which resulted in quite a "feeding frenzy" it must have been in 1963 and I believe it was after September. I started my railway career on 2nd September which perhaps explains why I felt emboldened to take a picture well beyond the platform end, so some snaps taken with my Brownie 127! Given the nameboard carried perhaps someone can confirm the date?

23693867_4472002.jpg.f2890bfdba24e69c6ae05ac581834110.jpg

606761524_44723001(2).jpg.a5fa29c1b1a826c507de7b501d9ac984.jpg

Basingstoke shed in the background.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 6

Hi

Todays photo shows two more Pacific's about to leave Haymarket MPD and head south back to their respective home motive power depots of London and Tyneside.

And that stormy sky is still over the Edinburgh area.

Regards

David

60017_IMG_1807B_edited-1.jpg

60521_IMG_1817B_edited-1.jpg

• Like 10

Hi

Good evening

No locomotives today, we concentrate on the main shed entrance area in a bit more detail.

From this area you would have walked down the main shed entrance road to Russell Road which would then turn left or straight on and then right under the main lines running past the MPD

Regards

David

IMG_1821_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1829_edited-1.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Good evening

No locomotives today, we concentrate on the main shed entrance area in a bit more detail.

From this area you would have walked down the main shed entrance road to Russell Road which would then turn left or straight on and then right under the main lines running past the MPD

Regards

David

IMG_1821_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1829_edited-1.jpg

That side looks good too, David!  If you were there today I guess you might be on a tram?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 31A said:

That side looks good too, David!  If you were there today I guess you might be on a tram?

Thank you

So much is guess work as I do not have any photos of the area taken around 1958/59 that show any real details.

I have never visited Haymarket but I did spend a week in Edinburgh about seven or eight years ago and Princess Street was a no go area as that were laying the tram tracks Up to Haymarket.

I wish I had taken the time to visit Haymarket while I was in the area, this was just before I started the layout.

Regards

David

• Like 2

On 22/07/2020 at 17:43, 31A said:

To David and anyone else who is interested, here's a link to an interesting resource that will allow you to see how the Haymarket shed area has changed from the late 50s to the present day.

I'll put the link at the bottom.  When you click on the link it will open a page looking like this >

Georef.jpg.c90a644e5bdff426c76012b39c4bc921.jpg

When the above page appears, follow the instructions I have written (on the image above) and a map will appear looking like this >

431573813_Georef2.jpg.9e8eb74f95eeedf410a64b1ce84c526e.jpg

Clicking and sliding the blue button will almost magically change the face of the map from the 'map' into a Google map type of view as it is at the present day.

The map on this website is fully 'zoomable' and there are several places in the U.K. that can be viewed like this - although it mainly concentrates on Scotland and London and its surrounding area.

O.K.  here's the link >

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.94261&lon=-3.23522&layers=170&b=1

Edited to say:   After I posted this, I noticed that on this forum the link isn't a 'live' link -- I guess anyone wanting to use it will have to copy it and paste it in the url line of a webpage. 

RE-edited to say that the link IS live!

Edited by Holyrood 60152
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Holyrood 60152 said:

To David and anyone else who is interested, here's a link to an interesting resource that will allow you to see how the Haymarket shed area has changed from the late 50s to the present day.

I'll put the link at the bottom.  When you click on the link it will open a page looking like this >

Georef.jpg.c90a644e5bdff426c76012b39c4bc921.jpg

When the above page appears, follow the instructions I have written (on the image above) and a map will appear looking like this >

431573813_Georef2.jpg.9e8eb74f95eeedf410a64b1ce84c526e.jpg

Clicking and sliding the blue button will almost magically change the face of the map from the 'map' into a Google map type of view as it is at the present day.

The map on this website is fully 'zoomable' and there are several places in the U.K. that can be viewed like this - although it mainly concentrates on Scotland and London and its surrounding area.

O.K.  here's the link >

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.94261&lon=-3.23522&layers=170&b=1

Edited to say:   After I posted this, I noticed that on this forum the link isn't a 'live' link -- I guess anyone wanting to use it will have to copy it and paste it in the url line of a webpage. 

Hi Holyrood60152

many thanks for the information it will be very useful and interesting to see the changeS from steam depot In the 1950’s to the high tech Depot it is today.

Regards

David

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Holyrood60152

many thanks for the information it will be very useful and interesting to see the changeS from steam depot In the 1950’s to the high tech Depot it is today.

Regards

David

Hi David,   31A (Steve?) refers to the modern tram line -- in the modern part of that interactive map the tram lines can be seen running across the north side of the sheds -- probably right through that phone box on your model!

Jim.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Holyrood 60152 said:

Hi David,   31A (Steve?) refers to the modern tram line -- in the modern part of that interactive map the tram lines can be seen running across the north side of the sheds -- probably right through that phone box on your model!

Jim.

Hi Jim

It sounds really fascinating I will have a look at the website tomorrow.

I think It will give me a good understanding of the whole area and it will also prove helpful comparing photos I have if modern Haymarket to the period I am modelling 

many thanks again for your help.

Regards

David

• Like 1

23 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Holyrood60152

Regards

David

Hi Jim

I have now had a chance to have a good look at the OS map with modern overlay you kindly provided a link to.

Absolutely incredible, to be able to see an OS map of the 1950's then slide the Blue dot to reveal todays modern look.

I must admit I also found it very sad how much railway infrastructure has been lost mainly to modern developments over the past 60 years.

Also I could not resist looking at both Kings Cross top shed and where I use to live in Tottenham North London again comparing the 1950's to now

Many thanks again for posting it,  it will be of great help to me with the detailing of my Haymarket Layout, I think I will be visiting this website many times from now on.

Regards

David

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

David,

Just catching up after a lap-top breakdown two weeks ago!

I attach a couple of photos of the present Haymarket entrance and in the first one,if you zoom in you

will see one of the trams.

As a matter on interest the old entrance at this spot had the last remnants of the original N.B.R. Shed. The surface of the road entrance was finished of with cossie sets which were dug up for the tram line.

Eric

321963188_4.lookingattheentrancetoHaymarketMPD.JPG.8d8a3a4dd3459fcf91fd932cac763fc9.JPG

212290083_5.EntrancetoHaymarketMPD.JPG.5d9022bce5e1d187f17c09d2b5b5d077.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 60027Merlin said:

The surface of the road entrance was finished of with cossie sets which were dug up for the tram line.

Thanks for that. I remember it as cobbled, but was wondering if I’d got that wrong.

53 minutes ago, 60027Merlin said:

David,

Just catching up after a lap-top breakdown two weeks ago!

I attach a couple of photos of the present Haymarket entrance and in the first one,if you zoom in you

will see one of the trams.

As a matter on interest the old entrance at this spot had the last remnants of the original N.B.R. Shed. The surface of the road entrance was finished of with cossie sets which were dug up for the tram line.

Eric

321963188_4.lookingattheentrancetoHaymarketMPD.JPG.8d8a3a4dd3459fcf91fd932cac763fc9.JPG

212290083_5.EntrancetoHaymarketMPD.JPG.5d9022bce5e1d187f17c09d2b5b5d077.JPG

Hi Eric

Thank you for posting the the two photos.

Hope you are safe and well and glad your laptop is now up and running again.

How I wish I could find The same photo but taken in the late 1950’s.

They are still very useful as the show how the shed entrance road drops down from the MPD rail level down to street level.

I assume that there is nothing in the photo that remains from the steam era MPD.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

Good evening David,

A quick update with the 60523 build. Getting close to painting! Might soon need those boiler bands!

781351048_014(3).JPG.bcc84c0fdf6fe6da5a750b2ec2ad63c5.JPG

Cab and deflectors temp fit.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, 30368 said:

Good evening David,

A quick update with the 60523 build. Getting close to painting! Might soon need those boiler bands!

781351048_014(3).JPG.bcc84c0fdf6fe6da5a750b2ec2ad63c5.JPG

Cab and deflectors temp fit.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard 

Sun Castle is coming along nicely.

PM me your Details and address and I will happily post the boiler bands to you.

unfortunately the single orange lining that runs along the Full length of the footplate I do not have as they were all used up on my A2/3’s Airborne and Watling Street, Fox Transfers do supply them but as a complete set including the boiler bands and cab side transferred as well.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

David

Hi

Today we have long term resident to Haymarket MPD, A3 60097 Humorist about to go onto the turntable and leave for Waverley.

The only member of the class with full height smoke deflectors, I would think most A3 enthusiasts would dislike the design, I personally quite liked it as it was unique but never ever saw it in my train-spotting days.

Regards

David

60097_IMG_1900B_edited-1.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

"Humorist" looks just great! Is the footplate staff cleaning the window of the office or talking about salmon fishing? 

Quick update on "Sun Castle" if I may. I'm very pleased with the DJH Kit resulted in a very nice model of Thompson's monster mixed traffic pacifics. Lining sheets should arrive today.

720253571_003(2).JPG.142d95b7b0cea81f668bcf63682dfa1e.JPG

564916406_001(2).JPG.c38d25a5334996d8f6f0ee7721b130d8.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 7