Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Peter

I think that would look very good as a back drop, if you think it's two dimensional why not glue the fascia to thick card with side panels as a return to the buildings, you could also cut sections and glue them to the returns to give your building a three dimentional look, then cut off the roof tile section at the top and form a new roof.

Make your own tiles as I did originally for Haymarket, see the Bacup layout thread for making the tiles using paper strips.

I hope this is of some help, I certainly think you have the right idea.

Regards

David

Hi all

Another selection of Haymarkets locomotives,plus another one of those locos I just had to buy, the small 0-4-0 Pug, to my knowledge there was never one ever at Haymarket by my one carries a 64B shed plate,

Regards

David

Have you thought of doing/having done a Y9? The Hornby Caley "pug" 9Sometimes known as Smokey Joe), makes up into quite a passable model, and is more in line with what might have been found at 64B.

St Margarets had some, as did a few other Edinburgh sheds.

Hi Peter

Thank you I am quite pleased with the way the Photos have come out.

I would love to say that I have or have use of a garden railway, but the fact is it's just using the camera on my IPad to create an illusion.

Some time ago I made an MDF stand to fit snug into a drawer unit that could house twelve pacific class locomotives.

It's a 720 x 430mm in 15mm thick MDF with six lengths of 600mm Peco track with added ballast and I made a weathered foot crossing out of Balsa Wood.

I just set it up on my garden table during the hot sunny period using my stone wall as a back drop to see how the photos would come out and I was pleasantly surprised with the final results..

I will include below two photos taken of a renumbered and renamed Bachmann A1 60161 North British showing a close up photo and the same photo taken again this time showing the whole table set giving the game away I suppose.

Regards

David

That's amazing...just shows what a decent backdrop will do for you, I immediately thought "Edinburgh..."

Have you thought of doing/having done a Y9? The Hornby Caley "pug" 9Sometimes known as Smokey Joe), makes up into quite a passable model, and is more in line with what might have been found at 64B.

I did buy a Caley Pug on EBay a few about a year ago with that in mind, I also scratch built a converted coal wagon as a large wooden tender for it. For the total cost of £4.50 a bargin I thought.

I will take some photos and post them on Friday.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Good afternoon all,

Following JeffP's earlier comments on the Caley Pug/Y9 class and combined with a bit of morning sunshine today I took the opportunity to take some photos of my adaptation of a class Y9 using a standard Hornby Pug and scratch building the converted four wheeled wooden tender which was used to carry extra coal on quite a few of these small locomotives when in service.

The tender actually cost me a total of £4.50 to make which I thought was a bit of a bargain.

Photos enclosed plus some of A4 60023 Golden Eagle from Gateshead MPD which was a regular visitor to Haymarket.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-93284600-1378820045_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-04276500-1378820127_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-65233600-1378820315_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-16237700-1378820368_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-22563900-1378820415_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-38535400-1378820684_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-39770300-1378820981_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening

After thirteen months I am finally in a position to start looking at baseboard construction for the proposed track plan layout.

Each baseboard size will be 1200 x 600 mm and there will be Severn in total giving an overall layout size of 4200 x 1200 mm.

I am considering using 9mm plywood fixed to a softwood framework below with intermediate brace sections.

I would welcome any suggestions from fellow members before I buy the materials and start construction.

Regards

David

David it all depends on how portable you want to make it,

2x1 with 9mm ply is almost an industry standard. I've used chipboard, MDF and even fibreboard, but always come back to the old tried and tested solution

The ideal approach is to do a grid out of 2x1 with the ply giving rigidity. Personally I'd go for slightly bigger boards - 1200 x 600 works well if you plan to run them all along in a line, but on your proposed approach you could end up with breaks in both lateral planes - not good for track laying!

If you're thinking of exhibiting, 1200 x1200 could potentially be a tad heavy and not easy to maneouvre in and out of the average estate car, so another thought would be to mix your materials which is what I've done at Waverley. MY central board with all the track and running area is made up of ply over softwood and is about 800mm deep.

Behind that I've built up a big block of polystyrene insulation board - which actually sits directly on the trestles so can be lifted off to allow the board to hinge up. To the front of the board I've glued another layer of polystyrene to the front of the main board, which I used a hot wire to cut to 100mm x 50mm.

That brings the total depth of the railway to just under 1200mm, but by using polystyrene for the scenic bits to front and rear, I've made a massive weight saving.

The Polystyrene is built up out of 2" thick wall insulation boards purchased from WICKES and with 4 of them glued to each other it's incredibly strong but weighs very little

IF you look at this pic you can see the different surfaces

post-10395-0-22288900-1380731248_thumb.jpg

The grounded coach bodies and the cork insulation are actually on the 100mm deep polystyrene at the front of the board, and the stonework to the rear right of the shed is resting on the front of the rear polystyrene which will make up the back scene. 

I made the mistake on past layouts of laying track to the edge, so with this one a key requirement was a decent scenic area to set the layout into - I suspect with your magnificent building you'll want much the same.

Good luck

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks Peter

The layout will consist of Seven boards all 1200 x 600mm fixed side by side on the 1200mm length, I may be able to reduce the layout depth from 600mm to 500mm but will not know until I start marking out the track plan.

I did intend to use 9mm plywood on a softwood frame work but was just checking to see if there was any alternatives, your reply has also confirmed this is the correct approach.

The individual board sizes will go through my loft hatch without any problems and I do not intend to transport them at the present time.

As the engine shed is quite large I need to make sure it's positioned correctly within the layout and I need to ensure the turntable sit's centrally into a single board panel.

After so much work in building the main shed I am really looking forward to starting to plan the track layout now.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Good Afternoon

Haymarket gets it's first locomotive J72 No 68737 which was based around Newcastle Upon Tyne in1959.

No only joking about the first locomotive, I have had to relocate the shed building so I can start laying out the plywood sheets for the track plan.

The black card is to mark out the inspection pit locations and the J72 was a purchase this week from EBay, a few of this class were based in Scotland at 61A Kittybrewster and one at 65E Kipps during 1959, and I just wanted to check the shed opening height for clearance and scale.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-38489500-1380808817_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 5

Amazing work David....a really interesting thread - I have enjoyed reading the progress so far immensely.  I need to build a 4 road shed at some stage in the future so will be using your thread for pointers. ;)

Thanks Ian

A four road shed should be a bit easier than what I have constructed, some times I wish I had made the model smaller but it would not have represented the Haymarket shed if I had done that.

As it stands the width of the model is correct but it should have Ten transverse roof section to be accurate to the prototype but that would have made the building 1200mm in length at 4mm scale and that was just a bit to big and more expensive as well.

I have found the whole project very interesting and have made quite a few good contacts in the process so when you do start your model I would be more than happy to provide any information regarding suppliers if you do have any problems.

Regards

David

Hi David

How big is the loft -  If you're looking at 4.2 metres in length it sounds like a 13x13 square

if you have a 1920s house it's probably quite substantial with a good amount of headroom?

I built a very practical layout in the loft of a 1950's 3 bed detached - nothing like as dramatic as the one in my parents' bungalow which gave us a 50 foot run, but still do-able. The secret I found was to do one side as the 'busy' bit and the other as the country lines giving a spot of playing trains. The challenge is that with a loco Shed you need somewhere for he locos to go - may be daft, but what about another 'shed' on the other side of the loft?

Sp you could Have Haymarket at one end of the line and Perth at the other?

Edited by bigwordsmith

Hi Peter

The layout for Haymarket will cover the main shed building plus the turntable, coaling stage, water tower, and a selection of small out buildings and stores,plus the East and West shed yards which radiate out from both eight road ends of the main shed building

Also included will be four lanes of running track for the main lines which pass right by the running shed, all of this measured from a1950's O S Map and converted down to a 4mm scale will give an overall layout size of 4200mm long by 1200mm wide.

You are correct my loft has a good 2.2 meter headroom at the main ridge and I could accommodate a layout of 6000mm in length x 2400mm wide if required.

My only problem is and I think I have said this before in this thread we are considering a house move in the not to distant future so I may just start building the middle section of the layout which would include all buildings and structures and would measure 2400mm x 1200mm to start with in my spare Office/ Bedroom until we decide about the move.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Good Evening

After thirteen months I am finally in a position to start looking at baseboard construction for the proposed track plan layout.

Each baseboard size will be 1200 x 600 mm and there will be Severn in total giving an overall layout size of 4200 x 1200 mm.

I am considering using 9mm plywood fixed to a softwood framework below with intermediate brace sections.

I would welcome any suggestions from fellow members before I buy the materials and start construction.

Regards

David

Hi David,

I'm using 9mm ply for baseboard tops and would regard this as ideal for 4mm scale.

However, I also use ply for support, a mixture of 3" and 4" strips placed on their edge. With a previous (portable) I used 2" x 1" but found the boards developed a slight warp over time, leading to the 'roller coaster' effect at the baseboard joints. I've found that plywood placed on its end is far more resistant to bowing in that plane.

Construction can be a little more involved with the all ply approach, probably it's only drawback. If you're not planning to be portable however, then you can counter any bowing effect in the 2" x 1" with additional upright supports beneath.

On page 12 of my thread (#277 onwards) you can see a series of pix of my approach if it helps.

Great news re you contemplating a start on the full layout - like many of your followers no doubt can't wait to see it develop.

Edited by LNER4479

Hi David,

I'm using 9mm ply for baseboard tops and would regard this as ideal for 4mm scale.

However, I also use ply for support, a mixture of 3" and 4" strips placed on their edge. With a previous (portable) I used 2" x 1" but found the boards developed a slight warp over time, leading to the 'roller coaster' effect at the baseboard joints. I've found that plywood placed on its end is far more resistant to bowing in that plane.

Construction can be a little more involved with the all ply approach, probably it's only drawback. If you're not planning to be portable however, then you can counter any bowing effect in the 2" x 1" with additional upright supports beneath.

On page 12 of my thread (#277 onwards) you can see a series of pix of my approach if it helps.

Great news re you contemplating a start on the full layout - like many of your followers no doubt can't wait to see it develop.

Hi

Many thanks for the reply, the more help I get from fellow members the more I am convinced 9mm ply is the correct material to use.

Regarding your comments on using plywood for supports I have seen a method similar in a book I own called " Landscape Modelling by Barry Norman, an excellent reference book for the railway modeller, see photo enclosed, I hope I am not breaking any copyright laws?

I could not see any script in the book referring to the copying of photos.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-56889100-1380834484_thumb.jpg

Yes, he 'invented' (I'm sure he didn't really!) the sandwich beam method, combining the virtues of both materials (ie ply and softwood). The downside again is even more construction required.

I haven't tried it myself but seen various layout descriptions over the years where builders have adopted the method. My approach is a sort of half way house, as I do use softwood blocks to secure the baseboard top to the frame.

Another option for you to think about I guess!

[Edit to add] Thinking on, Brilliant Baseboards http://www.brilliant-baseboards.co.uk/ may be another option for you to consider as, if you're planning to use regular 4' x 2' boards, then they do exactly those in flatpack form. Unfortunately, the founder Ray Regan has sadly passed away, so I'm not sure about the current supply capability of their product.

Edited by LNER4479

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter

Sorry for the late reply, unfortunately I will not be able to attend NEC as I have to many commitments at home regarding decorating and house alterations.

I am keen to get this done ASAP as I will then have some room to start the Haymarket 64B baseboards.

I hope you have an enjoyable time if you go and spend lots of money.

Regards

David

• 3 weeks later...