I'm a little dissapointed...

Seanem44

I just got an email saying repairs are complete on my Bachmann B1, Oliver Bury. Sadly, the charge will be 20 GBP, which is closer to 30 USD for me. This, of course, is the out of warranty repair cost.

I am dissapointed because I had written a passionate plea for the warranty fee to be waived. I admit I have had the B1 for over the one year period. If I had returned withing then, it would have been free.

My situation is that I moved, have not started a new layout yet, and in effect, my B1 was in a "collecters" status. This means that I took it out to run it in and returned it to it's box. On a whim, I took it out with my other engines to give them a go. None had problems except the B1. It's motion locked up. No matter what I did, oil, etc., it would not free, so back to Bachmann it went.

This, to me, seems like a manufacturing issue, as there is nothing I could have done to cause it. I was hoping they would see it the same. Sadly, I got the bill and my 90 GBP B1 with an hour of run time is now a 110 GBP B1 with an hour of run time.

I'm emailing right now to see what exactly they did to fix it, and what was wrong. 20 pounds is a lot when you think for just 30 more you can have a Dapol pannier.

I am very dissapointed. Understanding, but dissapointed.

I'm emailing right now to see what exactly they did to fix it, and what was wrong. 20 pounds is a lot when you think for just 30 more you can have a Dapol pannier.

20 pounds doesn't buy a lot of someones time when the minimum wage is £6.08 (anyone capable of fixing bugs in a model is not going to be on the minimum wage).

It is unfortunate that you are in the US, I believe you would have some rights under consumer law in the Uk

Ed

Maybe someone from Bachmann UK will read this and be shamed into refunding your money. Have you tried contacting Bachmann US to see if they are prepared to help.

Good points from all.

Please don't take it as I am bashing Bachmann. For the most part I am pleased with the majority of the models I purchase.

I think first I would like to establish what was done to correct the issue. I tried to do what I could to no avail, and didn't want to further revoke any warranties by tampering deep within the model.

If they just loosened some screws, or cleaned the wheels (which I had done both of) I would be a little mad about paying 20 GBP. If they replaced the engine completely, then I would be a little less upset. I just don't know what work was done.

But then again, it's not just the 30 USD I have to pay for the repairs, I already had to front over 10 USD to ship it back. So really, this is costing $40 for what probably amounted to 15 minutes of work.

I will provide an update when I hear back.

• RMweb Premium

20 pounds doesn't buy a lot of someones time when the minimum wage is £6.08 (anyone capable of fixing bugs in a model is not going to be on the minimum wage).

It doesn't, but for a loco that has only had minimal running time it does come across as expensive.

• RMweb Gold

It is unfortunate that you are in the US, I believe you would have some rights under consumer law in the Uk

Ed

Maybe someone from Bachmann UK will read this and be shamed into refunding your money. Have you tried contacting Bachmann US to see if they are prepared to help.

You have lept to a big assumption that the fault was a manufacturing one Ed - we know little about the problem, the discussions that happened before the model was returned etc. etc.

Why should they be shamed into returning the money ? - by his own admission he's owned the product for over 12 months, and see above regarding discussion PRIOR to returning the product.

:offtopic:

In the UK the contract is with the seller and NOT the manufacturer - perhaps you would care to explain what consumer protection you were thinking of which gives him extra protection.

Assuming this is what you are alluding to - this is straight off the Citizens Advice website - You may note the word SELLER and not manufacturer.

What can you do if goods are not of satisfactory quality?

If goods aren't of satisfactory quality you may have the right to return them to the seller and claim a refund. However, you may lose this right if you have accepted the goods. If this happens, you can still ask the seller for a repair, replacement or for compensation.

• RMweb Gold

But then again, it's not just the 30 USD I have to pay for the repairs, I already had to front over 10 USD to ship it back. So really, this is costing $40 for what probably amounted to 15 minutes of work.

What discussions did you have with the SELLER prior to returning the goods to Bachmann ?

What discussions did you then have with Bachmann prior to retuning the goods to them ?

In answer to discussions....

I would not put the burden on the seller, as I had owned the B1 it for over one year.

I did have an email discussion with Bachmann about the warranty, and possibly waiving it. I would have to pull up that email but if memory serves me correct, it was not conclusive what they would do.

I did test run it and there were were no issues during that time.

I do not want to shame a company into waiving fees, and I do agree it is a bit of poor luck for me.

I think what i am looking for is a little empathy and a little customer service. I see both sides of the issue. I cannot blame Bachmann as the item is out of warranty and they are a business that needs to recoup their own costs.

However, having worked in customer service type jobs once upon a time, there is something to be said when a business goes out of their way, warranty or not, to help a consumer. Especially in a down economy. Every consumer counts.

So again, until I discover what work was actually done to rectify the problem, I am nuetral to an extent. I do imagine part of that 20GBP will go towards shipping it back to me, so I guess the service is about 14 GBP.

One final point.... Sadly here in the states, any reliable model shop is now online only. The nearest hobby shop to me is run by an old curmudgeon who won't even acknowldge me as I walk through the door. Maybe because I'm 31?

Good hobby shops here in the states are a dying breed. The good ones are way too far to get to for me, and the ones I have been to suffer from poor service. Probably why they are a dying breed. I really wish I had a Hattons or Rails of Sheffield I could walk into, but I just don;t have that option.

I am pretty much on my own when something I have breaks, has a fault or etc. I have this forum as a first resort, and warranty repair as a last.

• RMweb Gold

I would not put the burden on the seller, as I had owned the B1 it for over one year.

But that is your recourse, the seller has made a profit on the sale to you, but you then expect the manufacturer to fix it for free ...

I did have an email discussion with Bachmann about the warranty, and possibly waiving it. I would have to pull up that email but if memory serves me correct, it was not conclusive what they would do.

Personally, I would have waited for them to offer free repairs, rather than asking, as it's out of warranty anyway.

I think what i am looking for is a little empathy and a little customer service. I see both sides of the issue. I cannot blame Bachmann as the item is out of warranty and they are a business that needs to recoup their own costs.

However, having worked in customer service type jobs once upon a time, there is something to be said when a business goes out of their way, warranty or not, to help a consumer. Especially in a down economy. Every consumer counts.

That's what the seller should (might have) do(ne) - the manufacturer has to pay twice in your scenario, once when the seller gets the profit on the item and once for the repairs to yours. So your

Sorry to seem harsh but you really should have contacted the seller first, and only if they refused to do anything contact Bachmann and see what they can do to help.

But that is your recourse, the seller has made a profit on the sale to you, but you then expect the manufacturer to fix it for free ...

Personally, I would have waited for them to offer free repairs, rather than asking, as it's out of warranty anyway.

That's what the seller should (might have) do(ne) - the manufacturer has to pay twice in your scenario, once when the seller gets the profit on the item and once for the repairs to yours. So your

Sorry to seem harsh but you really should have contacted the seller first, and only if they refused to do anything contact Bachmann and see what they can do to help.

Maybe I could have done that. But all my experience is mostly dealing with U.S. supplliers and businesses, because that's where I live. I can tell your right now if I walked into a business, big or small, with a receipt asking for an exchange after one year I'd be laughed at.

In fact, with many products, you are on your own once you walk out the door. Case in point, Best Buy (electronics dealer). If you walk out the door and your nice brand new LCD TV has an issue, take it up with the manufacturer. Unless of course you spend $200 to buy the in-store warranty in which the store will replace it.

To sum things up, I handled it according to my personal experiences with businesses in the U.S.

This might be different in the UK, I personally do not know.

Either way, I am not going to cry over losing 30 more dollars. I just have to deal with the wife who controls the wallet.

• RMweb Gold

I am sure many members of the forum have locomotive in boxes that they may or may not have test run, and which are now out of warrantly. It seems to be the nature of the hobby, expecially if one's layout is still under construction. I can understand neither seller nor manufacturer wanting to take the risk involved in carrying out free repairs on "out of warranty" items.

I heard back from Bachmann....

The results:

Adjusted valve gear

Lubricated

Test run

You can be the judge whether or not this service was worth 20 GBP. I have made my decision.

I do admit it was a set of unfortunate circumstances being out of warranty with only and hour of run time. This does not change my view of Bachmann products and I will still purchase them.

I will be interested to learn if your the problems with the B1 are fixed once you receive it so I hope you will tell us. It's a pity Bachmann did not provide an explanation about what was causing the problem. "Adjusted valve gear" isn't much help.

Although I have never used him for repair service (although I've bought plenty of parts from him), you might try Bob Russell at BR Lines next time you need a repair that you feel is beyond your skill. I've found for ordering parts he is very communicative and prompt via email. He might be more agreeble to explaining in detail what had caused a problem and as he's in business for himself with his reputation on the line, the quality of his work might be higher than what Bachmann might provide. (I'm not saying Bachmann's repair service is deficient as I have no way of knowing. I'm just saying it has different incentives than a sole propietor.)

Matt

• RMweb Gold

I would hope that this service increases the warranty for a year.

Why ? - the motor hasn't been replaced, nor has the body, nor have plenty of other parts which are at least 12 months old, there is no reason why the warranty would be extended, possibly some form of guarantee for the repairs maybe.

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Grovenor, I never worry about warrany dates because most faults that develop over time are indeed an opportunituy to learn new skills.

I think the warrantly dates on my Hornby Dublo locomotives are now expired!!

I tinkered with it as much as I felt comfortable with. Any further and I would have been afraid to cause more damage than good. Yes beast... that is what I mean. the last thing I want is for the same problem to appear again. That should be warrantied.

I'm sorry, but it appears that most individuals don't feel that paying close to 100 GBP should be rewarded with a faultless model. Last I checked, money isn't growing on the tree outside my house.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry, but it appears that most individuals don't feel that paying close to 100 GBP should be rewarded with a faultless model. Last I checked, money isn't growing on the tree outside my house.

I 100% think that £100 should provide a faultless model - it's finding a fault over 12 months after buying it and then expecting the same level of service as if it were new that I don't agree with and then totally disregarding consumer laws and expecting the manufacturer to fix it is the icing on the cake, you didn't want to "put the burden on the seller" to do anything but you expected Bachmann to fix it, for free by the looks, I might have been more sympathetic if you had said "I contacted the seller and ..."

Consumer laws are there for all our benefits, not to be ignored when we choose and then moan about a party that had no obligation to do anything.

Have to agree with Beast on this. You have a years warranty which is valid whether you choose to run it 24 hours a days for 7 days a week over 52 weeks a year or merely have it sitting untouched on your shelf. Doesnt matter whether it is your fridge, car or a model the same restrictions apply.

The only other option would be to have a little mile counter inserted into each model and you could do the same as some car companies with 4 years warranty or 10 thousand miles! :jester:

Archived