Taz's Kit building workbench - Ex GW Comet Coaches

Taz

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

I've decided my next project will be slightly different. Replacement sides on a couple of Hornby Collets.

I've got some cheap donors off ebay and will be placing an order for bits from Geoff soon.

Details to follow on a new thread once I get started. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

I've decided my next project will be slightly different. Replacement sides on a couple of Hornby Collets.

I've got some cheap donors off ebay and will be placing an order for bits from Geoff soon.

Details to follow on a new thread once I get started. :)

You tease Brian.You can't leave us in limbo.What have you planned sides wise then.

• RMweb Gold

Robin,

The Hornby coaches represent a D95 BSK and a E127 CK. Comet have the same diagrams in their range so I'm going to do a straight like for like swap. Then its just detailing the ends, roof and underframe and repainting.

• RMweb Gold

Robin,

The Hornby coaches represent a D95 BSK and a E127 CK. Comet have the same diagrams in their range so I'm going to do a straight like for like swap. Then its just detailing the ends, roof and underframe and repainting.

In that case you may be interested in this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/29966-upgrading-railroad-gwr-coaches/

Are you going to keep the original bogies then.You may have got some cheap donors off ebay but my local model shop wants £19 for one.  http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/569_1_106485397.html

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the link Rob. I had read that thread (and the ones linked off it) at the time but its good to be reminded of how others have approached upgrading these coaches.

The two I've got are recent releases in crimson/cream with the correct 7' bogies, which aren't bad so I'm planning on keeping them. If you are looking for donors then Ebay is worth keeping an eye on. Some go for silly money but my pair were sold as damaged because some of the glazing was missing (which isn't an issue for my plans), but it turns out the missing glazing was loose inside anyway. £12 for the pair :)

• Like 4

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been a while since I updated this thread as my modelling has been sporadic over the past year or so.

But I thought I should detail what has been taking up what time I have spent at the workbench.

Some of you may be aware that DRAG salvaged the late Mike Casey's P4 Bodmin and we are slowly going through the process of turning it into an exhibition layout.

We are also moving the time period to BR late 50s / early 60s and I have agreed to build a B set which were the staple passenger traffic on the line.

So last year I bought a Comet E147 B set pair and made a start.

The first job was to detail up the sides and solder all the hinges, drop lights and door bumpers. Unlike the K42 there were no half etched dimples for the bumpers so I had to measure these out.

post-6916-0-76763400-1424899024_thumb.jpg

These sides were then soldered to the ends , and together to form a box section and joined to the (cut to size) roof with araldite.

Unlike my 00 coaches where I use Hornby/Roco close couplers these P4 coaches will use screw links to couple to other stock and a rigid bar between each other. So I was able to build up the chassis as Comet designed without the modifications I made to the K42.

post-6916-0-59801600-1424899294_thumb.jpg

More to follow...

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately earlier this year longstanding DRAG member Allan Pulley passed away. However he was kind enough to leave his railway collection to the group.

Amongst this was a Phoenix Coaches diag E128 bow ended composite brake coach.

We decided this should be set aside for the Bodmin project where it would be used as a strengthening coach to the usual B Set consists.

I volunteered to take on the renovation and repainting of this coach so it can join the Bodmin fleet.

So this is it as it arrived:

post-6916-0-07226800-1424900384_thumb.jpg

post-6916-0-44126800-1424900448_thumb.jpg

post-6916-0-53449900-1424900460_thumb.jpg

As it came it obviously would need a repaint to fit the time period of Bodmin. The glazing was loose but this wouldn't be an issue as I would need to strip it for repainting anyway.

On closer inspection I realised there were a few other things I would need to address as well.

The sides have very little relief. Thin wire had been used to represent door handles and grab rails but they were the wrong shape and way under scale. So these would need replacing. I also intend to add door hinges. I will probably skip on door bangers on this coach as being of aluminium construction I think it will be hard enough adding the hinges.

The bogies are some sort of internal rocker set up which doesn't work very well and is overly complicated. So I shall replace with rigid Comet alternatives.

I also noted that the underframe is laid out incorrectly. Allan followed the Phoenix instructions but they are incorrect, with both battery boxes under the guards compartment.

Reference to prototype photos shows that E128s had the more traditional layout of battery boxes either end on the corridor side.

Finally the sprung buffers are oval and not the correct round shape.

So I will be looking at addressing all these issues.

The first stage was to strip it all down which wasn't too difficult as it was either glued or screwed.

So I currently have a pile of bits:

post-6916-0-61335100-1424900929_thumb.jpg

It will be interesting to see how working with aluminium compares to the brass I am more used to.

More to follow....

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Too late. I stripped it 2 weeks ago. Immediately washed in warm soapy water after. No adverse effects showing so far but I will keep my eye on it.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Time for a bit of an update.

The Phoenix sides lacked detail and relief.

The first thing I wanted to do was add the door hinges. I used the jig provided as part of the Comet coach detailing fret to mark out and drill the holes for the hinges from the same etch.

However when I compared the hinge positions to prototype photos they didn't look right and would clash with where the lining would be.

So they had to go. The hinges were removed, holes filled and sanded flush and then new hinge positions were marked, referencing photos. The holes were drilled and hinges secured with superglue.

I also wanted to add droplights so I asked Rod (10800) to produce some on his cameo cutter using measurement I provided.

post-6916-0-55400300-1443456927_thumb.jpg

These were superglued into the coach:

post-6916-0-51280600-1443456974_thumb.jpg

post-6916-0-54618800-1443456991_thumb.jpg

I was then able to start reassembling all the components.

Corridor side:

post-6916-0-52418400-1443457065_thumb.jpg

Compartment side:

post-6916-0-01959800-1443457114_thumb.jpg

I wasn't happy with the thin aluminum stampings used for the solebars and they were also set quite a way inboard which was presenting problems with bogie swing.

So I replaced them with plastic C section. Step boards were also added from plastic strip.

The truss rods were fabricated from 1mm brass angle. Battery boxes, vacuum cylinders and dynamo are Comet. The V hangers are David Geen etches.

post-6916-0-71296000-1443457654_thumb.jpg

She's since had a coat of paint and was staged (alongside the B set) on the Bodmin boards we displayed at Scaleforum.

However the paintjob was rushed and I also wasn't happy with the shade of Precision Crimson so I will strip her back to do properly.

More to follow soon.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some more updates on the B-set.

They were given a rushed paint job so they could be used as part of the static display of our Bodmin layout on the DRAG stand at Scaleforum.

Once that was over with I stripped them down so I could add more detail.

First the underframe.

post-6916-0-42191500-1448641655_thumb.jpg

I have added a steam pipe (.7mm brass wire) complete with drain-cock made with a stub if .45 wire.

Representations of the brake linkages have been added with .45 wire and bits from a Mainly Trains etch.

Finally the dynamo belt has been modelled using some brass strip.

Next the inner ends.

The alarm gear has been modelled using .33 wire and small bits of plastic section.

I intend to model these 2 coaches as a semi permanently coupled so the coach electrical connectors will be modelled joined (probably using suitable thread or fuse wire).

post-6916-0-75793900-1448642127_thumb.jpg

The inner buffers of these B-sets were unusual (unique?).

There is a good picture of them on Tim Venton's excellent web site here:

http://www.tventon.freeserve.co.uk/bset.htm

I couldn't find these available anywhere but I thought I could make up something representative using some MJT GWR shock absorbing wagon buffers (Item 2302).

post-6916-0-49727100-1448642353_thumb.jpg

By shortening the shanks and replacing the wagon buffer heads with 16" coach heads I think I have come up with a reasonable copy of the original:

post-6916-0-20741300-1448642659_thumb.jpg

The only remaining job now before painting will be to add the roof ribs (which I will wait until just before painting to help avoid damage).

Slowly getting there :)

• Like 11

• Taz changed the title to Taz's Kit building workbench - Ex GW Comet Coaches
  • RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Very nice, even if for some reason you’ve painted them all the wrong colour :P

Thanks. Once I have finished what is currently on my bench ( a couple more Collet coaches and some Southern stuff for Balcombe) I think my next project will be a H39 & H40 restaurant combo which will form part of my Cornish Riviera Express. So these will be in WR chocolate & cream. Close enough? :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, hayfield said:

Brian

Super job, I have built a couple in the past but like the way you have taken these a step further. I have a couple of SR coach kits I have acquired over the past few months and will try and add the extra details as you have 

Thanks.

I’m also building a Comet Bullied FK for Balcombe (to be finished in crimson & cream). It was part of the batch of coaches completed above but I got some bad bleed when masking so i has to strip it and start again. Once complete I’ll post pictures here.

2 hours ago, Taz said:

Thanks.

I’m also building a Comet Bullied FK for Balcombe (to be finished in crimson & cream). It was part of the batch of coaches completed above but I got some bad bleed when masking so i has to strip it and start again. Once complete I’ll post pictures here.

I have 2 Comet coaches in the same pile, too much track building and loco building going on at the moment

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Inspirational.  I'm part way through a Comet E147 B set pair myself, my second attempt at Comet kits and so far turning out much better than my first (your first was not far off brilliant!).  Comet are good stuff, but I find difficulty with the butt joins between the sides and ends of the bodies, and think there should be tabs to make this easier. This time I assembled a rigid(ish) bodyshell by starting off with the roof cut to length and tacking the sides and ends together with superglue before offering this rectangular assembly to the roof for soldering and then soldering the side/end joins.  I find Comet trussing to be a bit malnourished and will be beefing it up from behind with angled brass strip.

I've actually finished the basic assemblies, bodyshell, underframes, interiors, and bogies in that order, having built the coaches from the roofs down*, and have loosely screwed everything together yesterday evening to check that the coaches run ok (they do) and sit level and at the right height (they do this as well).  Plenty work left to do; painting, glazing, numbers, and couplings, and if you have no objection I'll pinch the shock absorber buffer idea for the inner facing buffers.  I have a no.3 radius curve on the fiddle yard approach and the coaches run happily over that, and I will get the coupling within the set as close as I can with this curve in mind.  Livery is to be BR unlined crimson.

My first attempt Comet was a C66/75 all third, and a friend has kindly built me an A43 Cyclops auto trailer which matches this.  The C66/75 has Stafford Road Works/Shapeways 3D print bogies which were very easy to fit and run superbly without bearings on Hornby wheels; they have the advantage of having NEM pockets printed in.  I may use these for the E147s as well, as my feeling is that the Comet bogies, while running well, are too wide and look sort of too heavy; once painted black this may be less obvious.

*I read somewhere years ago that the most sensible way to have built the Great Pyramid of Khufu would have been to start at the apex and work downwards...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Johnster, I appreciate the comments.

To get a nice square body i solder the ends to the sides  against a 90 degree wood jig

DB46DD27-377E-40CA-825C-EB54D704168B.jpeg.b41a7680edca2de7863ce966f8350f5a.jpeg
and keep the body square by soldering a strip across the top of the sides and then adding cross members.

This keeps the body nice and square and not reliant on the roof for rigidity.

552C5221-983D-40F4-A30C-3C81B5C8F2C7.jpeg.d3cee3241c51e78852365a9f64a1e224.jpeg

Edited by Taz
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Taz said:

Thanks Johnster, I appreciate the comments.

To get a nice square body i solder the ends to the sides  against a 90 degree wood jig

DB46DD27-377E-40CA-825C-EB54D704168B.jpeg.b41a7680edca2de7863ce966f8350f5a.jpeg

Or one like this :

bset_underframe_7.JPG.675280cee1a9bb9da7b1f4c600d9130a.JPG

a 3D printed L shaped, L sectioned frame.  It gives you a firm square corner that you can work into.  I was inspired by a picture of Justin Newitt's where he uses alloy angle.

Adrian

• Like 4