New Snowplough details released by Flangeway.

footplatemodelshop

Flangeway the manufacturing arm of model railway business Footplate is now ready to announce details on their forthcoming new releases.

The snowplough, first introduced to the model industry in 2008 is nearly ready to be released in form of five new popular requested liveries in runs of only 300!

The short runs will allow demand to be high in order to be look at further liveries and variations in the future.

The next batch of Snowplough’s will include:

IS9, ADB 965307 (1965 + with yellow lettering)

IS10 ADB 965211 (1965 + eastern region with white lettering)

IS11 ADB 965241 (Old Oak Common blue)

IS13 ADB 965204 (Scottish region, Eastfield with west highland terrier emblem)

IS14 ADB 965240 (Railtrack)

Due to increasing costs we have had to make a small increase to price of the model and therefore they will retail at £29.95. This still represents excellent value for money for such a unique model.

Further developments within the Flangeway camp will be released shortly with more information about the Snowplough’s is available on their website.

post-16644-0-81694500-1346402487.jpg

post-16644-0-10281400-1346402493.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice - in the smaller first picture shown (of ADB 965307) is it my imagination or has the shape of the nose (not sure exacly what its called - its the bit with the yellow stripes on :) been corrected? it now correctly looks straight, where it was originally concave.

Nice to see a BR blue one finally :D

tfn

Jon

Hi Jon,

Nice - in the smaller first picture shown (of ADB 965307) is it my imagination or has the shape of the nose (not sure exacly what its called - its the bit with the yellow stripes on :) been corrected? it now correctly looks straight, where it was originally concave.

Nice to see a BR blue one finally :D

tfn

Jon

Hi Jon, not quite sure what you mean about having a straight nose. As the originals are slightly curved?!

Best Wishes Richard

Hi - sorry I alway find this bit hard to explain - and not knowing the correct names for the various bits of the snowplough doesnt help , so a picture may be easier:

post-6893-0-04082000-1349346189.jpg

Left is original, right is modified so that the line where the sloping horizontal blade intersects the vertical , is straight rather than concave. The wasp stripes follow this intersection. The curve on the original model makes it difficult to accurately do a full stripey livery such as on the laira and OOC ploughs - hope that makes sense ?? :no:

Jon

Hi - sorry I alway find this bit hard to explain - and not knowing the correct names for the various bits of the snowplough doesnt help , so a picture may be easier:

post-6893-0-04082000-1349346189.jpg

Left is original, right is modified so that the line where the sloping horizontal blade intersects the vertical , is straight rather than concave. The wasp stripes follow this intersection. The curve on the original model makes it difficult to accurately do a full stripey livery such as on the laira and OOC ploughs - hope that makes sense ?? no.gif

Jon

Hi Jon, thanks for your post. I see what you mean now... No this has not been amended. Changes to the tooling would cost to much for a small company like us to do.

Sorry, Rich

• RMweb Premium

Left is original, right is modified so that the line where the sloping horizontal blade intersects the vertical , is straight rather than concave. The wasp stripes follow this intersection. The curve on the original model makes it difficult to accurately do a full stripey livery such as on the laira and OOC ploughs - hope that makes sense ?? :no:

Jon

Hi Jon

When did they rebuild the ploughs at Old Oak and Laira so that the plough had a straight not concave shape. When I photographed the Old Oak ones at the open day back in the 90s they were still concave. A very hard shape to replicate. This is my scratchbuilt one before painting (made before the Flangeway model was produced).

post-16423-0-54659800-1349382607.jpg

With an NER plough

post-16423-0-07319700-1349382714.jpg

Hi Clive - Ive highlighted bits in my previous picture that should I hope explain what i meant a bit better

post-6893-0-73093000-1349437314.jpg

This bit is the same on all ploughs- it should be a perfectly straight line - the Laira and OOC ones I mentioned as they are two pairs I know of, there may be others though , that had stripes on the slopey bit , as well as the upright bit (in BR Blue livery anyway) -The stripes follow where the two surfaces meet - The Hurst Models plough is correct in this area but elsewhere its too tall and has quite a few other dimensional errors.

TFN

JoN

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jon

I see what you mean. I have had a second look at my scratch built one. I made the upper part of the plough in two pieces, the lower part which joins the sloping part of the plough is flat and the top half is concave. The blue line in the photo marks where they join. It is a very strange shape to make let alone describe.

post-16423-0-23806000-1349443092.jpg

I was in the process of making a Hurst one before having a go at making my own. It was when making mine that I discovered the Hurst one is 2mm too wide. That is not the reason it has sat in the que for finishing, I managed to damage the two spare and one other of the springs the pin point axle bushes are mounted on. A five wheeled plough would be very odd.

Clive

It is a very strange shape to make let alone describe.

Phew - not just me then :)

Didn't realise the Hurst one was too wide (as well as being too tall) . There were sime nice little detail differences on the laira ploughs - but sadly all the good photos of them (in BR Blue) vanished with fotopic.

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Phew - not just me then :)

Didn't realise the Hurst one was too wide (as well as being too tall) . There were sime nice little detail differences on the laira ploughs - but sadly all the good photos of them (in BR Blue) vanished with fotopic.

tfn

Jon

Hi Jon

The BR diagram (BR 1/623) shows a line where the concave section and the flat section meet http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRFreight2Issue.pdf

I knew I would not have guessed were it changed. Paul Barlett's wagon site has a front on photo of a plough, you can see the bottom is straight, therefore made from flat plate but the top half is curved.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/snowplough/h22e12050#h22e12050

Clive

PS this not a delayed review of the Flangeway model. I think it looks good and is suitable for most modellers needs. Had it been on sale when I built mine I know which route I would have taken...... shake the box ;)

Thats a nice diagram - any idea how accurate it is - or is it just GA? - its odd how the concave section doesn't translate in the head on view - two sections of a cone instersecting is a bit of a head full! The part of the Flangeway model that's incorrect is fortunately a separate piece that unscrews. I wasn't happy with my attempt using filler as it took ages and ages of filling and shaping (and I needed a matching pair - the amount of work would have driven me insane!) Having seen yours I may have a go with plastic to do the 'nose' job . The model is nice to work on as its nice chunky plastic and comes apart easily.

TFN

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Thats a nice diagram - any idea how accurate it is - or is it just GA? - its odd how the concave section doesn't translate in the head on view - two sections of a cone instersecting is a bit of a head full!

TFN

Jon

Hi Jon

To be honest I do not know how accurate the diagram is, all I know is the diagrams from the period (1950-60s) were good representations of the bodies of the wagons. Good enough for the average modeller to make a model from.

The sides of V shaped part of the plough were made in two parts the lower part from 40 thou plastic card and supports the "roof". This over hangs the flat sides. Over sized 10 thou uppers were added to the assembly being formed into the concave shape. When they had set hard the were trimed and filler added where necessary.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian

They saw service on all regions. I am not too sure if they went new to the Southern or were later transfers. Less went to the NER and ER as the LNER had already started to make independent snow ploughs from old tenders. The ScR had a few ex LNER tenders fitted with ploughs that had been used by CR Jumbo 0-6-0s and later LMS 4Fs. The SR converted some Schools class tenders as snow ploughs in the 60s. The GWR, LMS, most SR and BR tenders were not used as they were fitted with steam brakes, many LNER locos and the Schools class had vacuum brake tenders making them suitable for diesel haulage. The BR standard plough was built mainly on the frames of V2 tenders.

Clive

Hi Jon

. Did you notice how the light reflects differently on the upper concave face than the lower flat face.

Clive

Yes is shows up better in that shot - on some ploughs the 'join' is barely visible - and it sort of makes sense now how the lower flat face has become curved on the flangeway model - It also makes me think to have another go at my conversion now I can clearly see what shape the lower flat face should be - so i can make that section first in plastic and stick it onto the flangeway model - rather than sculpt the whole thing out of filler :)

tfn

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone knows when the ploughs were first repainted into BR Blue? Would it be in the late 60s or a bit later than that?

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom

As far as I know the Old Oak set were repainted blue in the early 80s and were the only blue ones.

The Tinsley pair were repainted railfreight triple grey soon after that became widespreed. Otherwise they were black. Ones like the Inverness one with its staggs head motif were in the main applied in the 1980s when livery standardisation was allowed to slip.

Laira had a BR blue pair as well, although I've no idea when they have painted. When I saw them - early 90s they were very faded and looking ready to be chopped. There's not many pictures of them around, and none that ive seen showing them ex works blue.

tfn

Jon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just had email from Flootplate with following details

Snowploughs arriving early next week!

Have you ordered yours?

We have just received confirmation that four of our five snowploughs have arrived in the country. Once in stock we will label them up and get them sent to everybody who has ordered them...

You can view the Snowploughs in more detail here...

Arriving early next week are:

IS9 Independent Snowplough 1965 livery (Yellow lettering) ADB 965307

IS12 Independent Snowplough Scottish Region (Eastfield) ADB 965204

IS10 Independent Snowplough 1965 livery (Eastern Region) ADB 965211

IS13 Independent Snowplough RAILTRACK ADB 965240

COMING NEXT MONTH:

IS11 Independent Snowplough BR Blue (Old Oak Common) ADB 965241

Copyright © 2013 Footplate, All rights reserved.

You are receiving this email becuase you opted in at our website...

Our mailing address is:

Footplate

10B Comberton Hill, Kidderminster, United Kingdom

Kidderminster, Worcestershire DY10 1QG

United Kingdom

Archived