Triang Dock Shunter

I recently have bought a old Triang Dock Shunter.

Whilst the loco still moves it requires a good clean up.

The chassis and motor are black quite literally.

I have tried a fibre glass pan, which was not a success.

Therefore i would welcome any advice on the best way to clean it up thoroughly.

Once i have got it cleaned up how /where do i oil etc.

Plus any tips on how to keep these little motors working.

Cheers, in advance.

She's going to need a complete strip down and clean up as the old oil will have dried up and semi-seized all the bearings.

The service sheet is here

http://www.hornbygui...asp?sheetid=167

When removing the magnet use a keeper or it will need remagnetising or a replacement neodymium magnet. Take care not to lose the two ball bearings from the ends of the armature as well.

I find white spirit (currently I'm using Tesco own brand (Value turpentine substitute), which seems OK, but some will attack plastic, so care is required) will soften and remove all old grease and muck. Once clean reassemble and all should be as new (ie goes like a rocket!).

Tri-ang motors always need the commutator slots cleaning out - use a cocktail stick to avoid scratching the copper surface and take care not to damage the windings.

I have one of these but unfortunately her armature is shot. (On the 'to do' list.)

The motors are almost indestructible, so really all that is required is regular light lubrication. A light plastic compatible model oil on the felt pads at the ends of the armature, the axle bearings and the gears.

You might want to fit replacement wheels for modern track (especially if she has the dreadful knurled wheels). These are available on eBay.

-+

Archived