Scottish Locomotives

kingfisher24

Synch I would say that works bloody well. I always say if it looks right it is right and the few subtle changes you've made means it realy captures the feel of the GSWR loco

Hmm I wonder if I can justify one on my planned Caley based layout. Joint running rights perhaps.

Dont forget more photos when you've done some more to it.

Steve

Ps what dome and chimney did you use?

Edited by Londontram

• 1 month later...

attachicon.gifIMG_3086.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3100.JPG

After finding out a Hornby J15 is a very close match to Smellie/Manson 0-6-0s this came about.  It actually works pretty well!

Years ago I used the Skinley drawing for my P4 model of the 306 class.  Still got it and a recent photo attached below. The lettering on 306 was from Leteraset rub down transfers and hand coloured and shaded. For 323 I used the decals available from the G&SWRA. 

Since then I have built another in 7mm scale but this time I had sight of a GA.  The Skinley one is not not too bad for accuracy and they were the only drawings available in the 70s.   Probably the most significant feature on a locomotive is the Chimney.  The Manson one was quite distinct.

Ian

post-6089-0-85350800-1517741422_thumb.jpg

post-6089-0-11905300-1517741454_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

The March Railway Modeller has given us plans (but no pictures) of another Sou' West loco, PD's 0-6-0T Dock shunter.  There are promises of a series of G&SW loco drawings, I don't know if they will be scaled from side views, as this one was, or whether Willie Stewart's collection will be called on from their archives.  Despite Drummond designing a number of classes after he left the Highland, none could take his big brother's Caley boilers that the LMS designated as standard.  Some of his HR designs did, but the G&SWR fleet was decimated. Although PD was well liked, his legacy was a bit mixed and the Pumpers, though imposing, were such pigs to steam that the crew got an allowance for working them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Re the drawing in the March issue, the engine appears to levitate above the wheels: no frames have been drawn, or maybe if drawn, they were omitted from the final selection of layers for the output file, assuming CAD.

• 3 weeks later...

Nearing completion is this DMR kit for a J37, destined to become 64602 from a nice photo of it travelling from Dundee to Montrose in June 1966.

Some tidying to do, plus painting and adding buffers and probably crew.........

post-21954-0-18124700-1520158575_thumb.jpg

Might be a companion to the J36 when it comes out?

• Like 8

Nearing completion is this DMR kit for a J37, destined to become 64602 from a nice photo of it travelling from Dundee to Montrose in June 1966.

Some tidying to do, plus painting and adding buffers and probably crew.........

attachicon.gifDSCF5656.jpg

Might be a companion to the J36 when it comes out?

Very nice indeed, I haven't had a go at this one yet, primarily because every time i try to order one they are out of stock - apparently.

The old nb models kit is pretty good forits age but they’re like hens teeth.

Gary

Runs from left to right in the 50s, turns, and comes back right to left in the 60s?

You folk don't miss a thing!

Thought it would add a bit of extra interest, and as you can only see one side at a time, it's a useful dodge..........

I mounted the totem the wrong way round initially, but it was corrected.

I wonder if it might also have been overhauled at Inverurie on occasions, but Cowlairs would be the natural place for an ex NB loco......

• Like 1

You folk don't miss a thing!

Thought it would add a bit of extra interest, and as you can only see one side at a time, it's a useful dodge..........

I mounted the totem the wrong way round initially, but it was corrected.

I wonder if it might also have been overhauled at Inverurie on occasions, but Cowlairs would be the natural place for an ex NB loco......

Curiously enough I nearly typed 'Cowlairs or Inverurie'.

Malcolm

• 1 month later...

A Highland Railway Clyde Bogie, in LMS Livery.

post-7769-0-16673900-1525212767_thumb.jpg

post-7769-0-97589200-1525212777_thumb.jpg

Designed by David Jones and delivered from 1886; the last of these lasted until 1930 and as you can see picked up the full LMS livery (but lost its name, which had formerly been Durn but this was taken by another locomotive.  They were once the premier locos of the line but by this time the last survivors saw out their last days on branch line duties, which is what this one will do.

post-7769-0-15237600-1525212802_thumb.jpg

The model is built from a Lochgorm Models kit, to P4 standards by John James.  And yes it was a pig getting it to work within the side frames!

post-7769-0-14648800-1525213079_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the slightly droopy tender; a spacer piece of plasticard did not get put in when I reassembled it!!

For other highland and similar things; take a look at my blog at www.highlandmiscellany.com..............

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful HR loco I had to check why it was called a Clyde bogie - being built by Clyde Loco works.

I have posted this elsewhere but here is my latest, a conversion of a Hornby 700 into an ex nbr j37. Made using the chassis, running plate and splashers of the donor loco with the boiler, cab and othet parts being scratch. The tender, being very close to the north british has had the coal rails added. The only thing that still needs changing is the axle boxes on the tender chassis. That is when i find them (in a safe place (so safe I cannot lay hands on them).

post-10572-0-46076600-1525530530_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-68497200-1525530579_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-90522100-1525530620_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-76965100-1525530688_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

I have posted this elsewhere but here is my latest, a conversion of a Hornby 700 into an ex nbr j37. Made using the chassis, running plate and splashers of the donor loco with the boiler, cab and othet parts being scratch. The tender, being very close to the north british has had the coal rails added. The only thing that still needs changing is the axle boxes on the tender chassis. That is when i find them (in a safe place (so safe I cannot lay hands on them).

attachicon.gifB426549D-B99E-4EC1-925A-F7BB8C0DCDC1.jpegattachicon.gifF8201E8A-AB24-4A63-AB53-A9197D57319D.jpegattachicon.gifA1D2EF52-3C18-445D-8550-C564CB32146C.jpegattachicon.gifAE1A0697-F13D-42DC-99E4-707E91150A3E.jpeg

I see you managed to do the lubricator cranks from the driving wheels - you're more dexterous or courageous than me!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

For some time I have been building a couple of models of the rebuilt 187 class of 0-4-2. The engines were designed by James Stirling and were typical For the period with a basic round top cab and simple tender.

The first rebuild was by Hugh Smellie and was a fairly straightforward conversion. The boiler and motion stayed as original but the frames were extended a bit to take a small bunker and tanks, the cab was also improved. The tanks were used on the City of Glasgow Union Railway on suburban services until displaced by Manson’s 326 class 0-4-4tanks. The 187 class were dispersed to Ayr, Hurlford and Dumfries for shunting duties. 198 is modelled as she was a Dumfries circa 1906 when she was used occasionally on the Moniaive branch as well as general shunting.

post-6089-0-51910500-1537791406_thumb.jpeg

Some of the remaining locos were rebuilt by James Manson in 1900 as a precursor to his better known and larger 221 class. The engines got a bigger boiler, new cab and a neat Manson chimney. Some also got tender cabs. The locos with the tender cab went to Dumfries for use on the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire joint Railway. My model depicts her circa 1906 in the condition she would be when working to Portpatrick.

post-6089-0-38468900-1537791420_thumb.jpeg

Ian.

• Like 12

For some time I have been building a couple of models of the rebuilt 187 class of 0-4-2. The engines were designed by James Stirling and were typical For the period with a basic round top cab and simple tender.

Beautiful models as always, Ian.  Wish I could say the same about the prototypes, but, hey ho, each to his own!    :mosking:

Jim

• Like 1

Beautiful models as always, Ian.  Wish I could say the same about the prototypes, but, hey ho, each to his own!    :mosking:

Jim

Naughty,naughty, Jim.  You know fine well that had Hugh Smellie's tenure at the Caley not been cruelly curtailed you'd have had some similar designs to purr over.

• Like 2