Scottish Locomotives

kingfisher24

I have been thinking (dangerous i'm told) that it would be nice if there was a 'showcase' of scottish locos on the forum, where rmwebber's can show off their collections of not only the better known loco's but, also some of the lesser known classes also. and also some of the history behind each of them.

i will start the 'ball' rolling with one of my own examples.

the first in my ex North British class C16 No 67492. this loco is modelled as it ran in the mid 1950's and was a resident of St Margarets and sub-shedded at North Berwick for some of this time, and during this time on the 6th september 1958 it worked the SLS Lothian lines railtour. which started off at Edinburgh Waverley and ended at Edinburgh Princess St. The tour visited many of the branches in east lothian that had been closed to passengers for many years, such as the Macmerry/Ormiston branch.

I have a couple of photo's of the loco on this tour.

the first is taken at St Margarets and the second at the terminus in Macmerry.

post-10572-0-80870900-1346600537.jpg

post-10572-0-99319000-1346600550.jpg

and my model of the loco on my clubs layout.

post-10572-0-32612500-1346599406_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

My first railway book was an old Edwardian colour book of Scottish locomotives (handed down through the family) - with all their fantastic liveries (well, except for NBR yet even that stood out)....

What a shame we don't see more layouts from around that time.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Jumping ahead a few years, a loco class that was used of over the region was the Stanier Black 5 this example No 45473 was built at Derby Works and entered serive on 31/05/1943 and was allocated to Perth South in 1948, the loco's last shed was Dundee Taybridge from where it was withdrawn on 30/11/1966 and scrapped at Arnott Young, Carmyle. on 28/02/1967. i have always liked this model as it is now nicely weathered and it has recieved good comments at shows.

this image has appeared before now but i think its a nice shot.

post-10572-0-21025400-1347290546_thumb.png

• Like 7

name='Poor Old Bruce' timestamp='1347297639' post='781942']

The heading does say "from the various pre-group scottish comapnies (sic) and later."

[/b]

i did originally intend to have the title as just pre-grouping loco's but added the ''later'' because, there are many locomotive classes which appeared after the grouping that were and indeed still are popular (including the 5mt's) and i think that these deserve a mention also.

keep the excellent pictures coming everybody.

gary

The heading does say "from the various pre-group scottish comapnies (sic) and later."

Sorry I did not notice the addendum that came later. I have absolutely nothing against Black 5's! I really love Pre-Grouping Scottish locos, though.....

Best, Pete.

• 1 month later...

A good idea! Here is one of mine- 54491, as shedded latterly at Wick, and a member of the Pickersgill class of 4-4-0's that served long and well in Scotland. They were used till the end of steam in the Highlands for various duties and were well liked. The kit is a DJH one that took me some thirty years to get around to building, and is powered by a Hornby T9 chassis with the traction tyred drivers replaced with a set of plain ones, and runs like a dream.

post-2642-0-98498900-1346796291_thumb.jpg

A very beautiful loco indeed, here's an example I found at the rear of Hawick shed in 1963. Judging by the bend in the running plate, it had been used for banking duties.

post-276-0-86635400-1350307840.jpg

• Like 5

Judging by the bend in the running plate, it had been used for banking duties.

And now stored with the sack over the chimney! I wonder what it was meant to keep out. Rain would soak through. Perhaps it was to stop birds entering or was it to stop a fire being lit without checking for water in the boiler etc!

Here is my take on the theme with 55124, the last Lambie tank, stored also with the sack on the lum. She was at Dumfries for most of the 60's and had quite a bit of time in store but got a move north and a new lease of life on railtours before scrapping. I understand that her chimney lives on at Boness on the preserved Caley 439.

Regards,

Ian.

And now stored with the sack over the chimney! I wonder what it was meant to keep out. Rain would soak through. Perhaps it was to stop birds entering or was it to stop a fire being lit without checking for water in the boiler etc!

Here is my take on the theme with 55124, the last Lambie tank, stored also with the sack on the lum. She was at Dumfries for most of the 60's and had quite a bit of time in store but got a move north and a new lease of life on railtours before scrapping. I understand that her chimney lives on at Boness on the preserved Caley 439.

Regards,

Ian.

Sorry but I forgot to attach the picture! Here now!!

post-6089-0-42463600-1350326190.jpg

• Like 12

Guest Max Stafford

Two creations of mine; 64624 of St Margarets (NB Models body or NBR 4mm Develoopments chassis) and 65288 of Thornton Junction (GEM body, NB 4mm Dev. chassis again).

Copped out of doing the Wakefield lubricator on the J37!

Dave.

post-6676-0-97726700-1350327937.jpg

post-6676-0-96466700-1350328171_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Guest Max Stafford

A very beautiful loco indeed, here's an example I found at the rear of Hawick shed in 1963. Judging by the bend in the running plate, it had been used for banking duties.

Nice photo but are you sure about Hawick? These locos were never based there. Carstairs maybe? A few were stored there and the location certainly looks more rural.

Dave.

Some wonderful models appearing on this thread, more please!

Dave,

Did Falcon take over the tools etc for the J37 from NB, or was that a new venture? I'm going to need a couple of them for my much postponed model of Johnshaven (on the Bervie branch) and would appreciate any thoughts on build experience.

Guest Max Stafford

The Falcon kit is all etched Jim. The NB models one is largely cast. I had to hunt hard for that; shame as it's a good one!

Dave.

• Like 1