Scottish Locomotives

kingfisher24

Incidentally on Perth shed that day was another example of a pre-group loco, well perhaps not quite that old but certainly from the deep south. I refer to exGWR 16XX class #1646

I suppose they can be classed as Scottish locos- they lasted some five or six years here, which was longer than some Standards entire lifespan, so here is one added to the collection- 1649 as it happens, seen at Helmsdale- 1646 is also around.

post-2642-0-60528100-1392848913_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

On the same theme, here is 55053, the last of the Highland engines in service, on shed at Helmsdale. I'm afraid I can take little credit for this one- it was bought ready made built to EM gauge from eBay, and appears  to be mainly scratchbuilt rather than a Jidenco kit.Unfortunately for me, it has proved difficult to motorise readily- the original motor was very pedestrian, and certainly not up to current standards, and the inside is crammed with lead that defied easy removal so I built a plasticard chassis and repainted it in the ex works finish the original acquired during its last overhaul at St Rollox. Perhaps best regarded as a work in progress, as I will turn my attentions to it someday, but I felt it was better sitting on shed rather than in a box in a drawer.

post-2642-0-92378600-1392929425_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-47320500-1392929442_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Just seen this. Absolutely stunning! It made me drool  :O Is it a kit or scratch-built?

Hi,

Thanks!  The loco was built from the limited edition etched kit by the G&SWR Association. The kit sold to members for under £100, one of the benefits of membership. I had a hand in the pattern making for the fittings and wrote the instructions. The kit was etched in nickel silver and had a milled chassis and coupling rods with whitemetal fittings and lost wax brass as an option..

I built the one in the photo to S7 standards with working inside valve gear and a fully detailed cab interior The finish is Halford Brooklands green from a rattle can, Precision G&SWR valance red airbrushed and Humbrol satin black brushed,.  The lettering is also from the G&SWRA but the lining is home cooked. 

Regards,

Ian.

here are some snaps of my latest north british j88, it is the third example that i have built but it means that i have two of them ( the first loco that i made up was destroyed by a two year old hand reaching up to my work bench). hence the repeated number of 68334.

68334 was built in 1909 and the loco was based at edinburgh st margarets and then thornton before withdrawal at the end of june 1959.

i could only find one pic of 68334 on the web and have included this aswell, and another snap of 68328.

post-10572-0-60829400-1393023035.jpg

post-10572-0-09389400-1393022955.jpg

and now some shots of my 68334 on glendevon. and complete with shunters pole.

post-10572-0-54533900-1393021389_thumb.jpg

post-10572-0-62528600-1393021769_thumb.jpg

post-10572-0-07290300-1393021895_thumb.jpg

post-10572-0-24309700-1393021935_thumb.jpg

post-10572-0-51747000-1393022043_thumb.jpg

hope these are of some interest.

kingfisher.

• Like 14

i have just notice that the cab roof needs finishing.

also the chassis is and electrotren example and this had very deep flanges on the wheels and these had to be filed down quite a bit to make the loco run smoothly on code 75 smp.

i am thinking of doing another example with the earlier style dome with safety valves, perhaps the haymarket pilot but, this will have to wait and i have a little baby girl due monday past so modelling will have to take a back seat for a while (not too long i hope).

kingfisher.

• Like 1

Dear Kingfisher

Good luck with the birth and after. I am sure for a while you will not be able to get around to modelling but eventually you will be able to get the odd hour here and there to get back to it. Any way it will be worth while missing modelling for a couple of months, baby's are great and your baby will be just fantastic. Anyway sleep is over rated.

kind regards

David

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just been trawling through this topic and have been awestruck by the quality of the models in the photos. I’m not and never have been a modeller myself but have concentrated on collecting negatives (and slides) of prototypes which are gradually being added to my SmugMug web site. Because I’ve had an interest in Scottish steam for as long as I can remember it figures strongly in my collection and I wondered if this would be an appropriate place to share this part of my collection:

http://tinyurl.com/q4dgbmx

Regards,

Mike M.

• Like 7

Hi Mike

What a collection!

They have so much atmosphere and the captions are also very helpful.

Many of us "nuts" spend a lot of our time simply studying/drooling over these old shots which are nostalgia personified.

My own layout, based on Abroath, tries in its small way to recreate some of that lost atmosphere.

Many thanks

Ken (Aberbrothock)

Incidentally on Perth shed that day was another example of a pre-group loco, well perhaps not quite that old but certainly from the deep south. I refer to exGWR 16XX class #1646

As the 16xx panniers were built after nationalisation I'd guess it was probably the newest loco on shed that day!

As the 16xx panniers were built after nationalisation I'd guess it was probably the newest loco on shed that day!

Unlikely, given the number of BR Standard locomotives shedded at Perth and nearby places. (Class 5 4-6-0s, class 4 2-6-0s, class 2 2-6-0s and class 4 2-6-4Ts). Also, Kingmoor Clans were regular visitors.

• Like 1

I’ve just been trawling through this topic and have been awestruck by the quality of the models in the photos. I’m not and never have been a modeller myself but have concentrated on collecting negatives (and slides) of prototypes which are gradually being added to my SmugMug web site. Because I’ve had an interest in Scottish steam for as long as I can remember it figures strongly in my collection and I wondered if this would be an appropriate place to share this part of my collection:

http://tinyurl.com/q4dgbmx

Regards,

Mike M.

An interesting collection but I wonder if you hold copyright to them all ? There are pictures included which I already have in my collection and I would think twice about putting them online.

Ian.

An interesting collection but I wonder if you hold copyright to them all ? There are pictures included which I already have in my collection and I would think twice about putting them online.

Ian.

All the images on my web site are derived directly from negatives (glass as well as acetate) and transparencies. I never claim copyright (I could with the pictures that I took myself but choose to not do so) but I do own the original photographers' material and never scan from prints. If you, too, believe that you have identical negatives and/or slides in your own collection then there is obviously an isssue to be addressed.

Mike M.

Mike.

I am just concerned that there can be problems using pictures online. Who exactly owns the original? I have duplicate pictures in my collection with different copyright stamps on the back. I think that anything in pregroup livery is now well out of copyright no matter who owns the negative or negatives.

Another group which I am a member of was recently caught up in an online copyright fankle which cost quite lot of money to put right.

Ian

I think that anything in pregroup livery is now well out of copyright no matter who owns the negative or negatives.

Unfortunately, even this is not necessarilly true. 

Copyright lasts for 70 years from the end of the calender year in which the original artist (in this case photographer) dies. So for something to be out of copyright now, the photographer needed to have died during or prior 1943. If they took photographs in their 20's and lived to a good age of say 70, their photographs taken even in the late Victorian era would not yet be out of copyright. 

Who exactly owns the original?

And this may well not be the person who owns the original negative/slide/plate.  Ownership of the right to material does not transfer at the point of sale of material; even if the material sold is what we would see as "the original" (ie the negative etc); it is perfectly possible to sell one without the other. 

Copyright is a real b****r now that it is so easy to post things into a public domain, such as RMweb or in Mike's collection.   It is true the older something gets, especially if you own the original negative, then the less likely it is that you will get a claim.  This is partly because some items will fall out of copyright/copyright was sold with the source material but I suspect that the real reason is that it becomes less actionable as the owner's of the original photographer's estate either don't know about the image or are not that interested in going after some train enthusiasts using the images for a bit of a chatter. 

Using an image of a picture that someone else has reproduced in a public domain (for example my avatar) does not change the fact that the original artist still retains the right to copyright.  It might make the damages claim rather less, perhaps!

I am not suggesting that Mike take down his collection; there are some lovely pictures in there and I enjoy looking at them.  However, he might want to be aware of the risk and if someone does pop up claiming that the image is theirs, it is possible.

I suspect that 95% of the images on RMweb that are not posted by the original photographer or where the poster has not expressly stated they have permission to use the image are a breach of copyright. 

Some further information on copyright here:

https://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law

Edited by Portchullin Tatty
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mike.

I am just concerned that there can be problems using pictures online. Who exactly owns the original? I have duplicate pictures in my collection with different copyright stamps on the back. I think that anything in pregroup livery is now well out of copyright no matter who owns the negative or negatives.

Another group which I am a member of was recently caught up in an online copyright fankle which cost quite lot of money to put right.

Ian

Ian,

Thank you following this up but please don't concern yourself on my behalf considerate though that is.

Original images (be they negatives or transparencies) are recycled on a considerable scale and that has been the case for decades but you seem to be unaware of that publicly accessible market. It isn't a secret brotherhood or anything of that kind. Perhaps we should be devoting more attention to the internet sellers of such material who have no interest in the subject matter, in transport or in us but buy the material from the same sources as I do for sums that most of us can't afford and then resell to heaven knows whom for huge profits and always claim that they are selling "with copyright" which is absolute rubbish. Even the main source doesn't mention the 'C' word in its sales blurb!

There was a recent (only a fortnight ago) stream of postings on the SEmG e-group on this subject. The reason for that isn't being mentioned here because it doesn't pertain to Scotland but the only two postings which stood out were (paraphrased):

• If such a case ended up in court then m'lud would almost certainly dismiss it, award the costs to the plaintiff and consign him to seven days in jankers for wasting the court's time.
  • If the letter of the law was applied right across the board then our beloved monthly archive magazines and all those erudite books we love so much would wither on the vine almost overnight. 

Your comment concerning the length of copyright is correct and the follow-up message is sadly ill-informed. The copyright on original material made prior to 1/1/1945 died a natural death on 31/1/1994 under the 50 year rule. The 70 year rule quoted in that same recent posting does not apply to pre-war images and the web link in that posting leads one to a very misleading guide. It isn't wrong but it's a long way from being helpful. Try this one instead: http://www.semgonline.com/copyright.html which was compiled with the able assistance of copyright lawyers.

Lastly, it is no surprise that you have the same printed image attributed to different people. Some of my collection has beeen through at least four ownerships in its lifetime and there'll be at least one more after I become daisy food. :nono:  

Rgds,

Mike M.

It would be really nice if this thread could gently drift back on topic. I will nudge it a long with this period image;

Ex Caledonian 2P on GNSR territory as it works a short branch passenger through Claterinbrigg.

John

Thank you, John. Appreciated.

Mike M.

Now that we are back 'on topic' I wish to firstly express my gratitude to you all for the volume of visits to the Scottish section of my web site. The web site is finacially a dead loss and the self-gratification is derived from both the number of image 'hits' as well as the immense contributions of background data that are provided by the site's viewers.

Secondly  - and it wasn't my original intention -   I wonder if this forum's members would be prepared to help me with identifying locations and/or dates for some of the many undeocumented negatives that I have here and haven't yet uploaded to the web. I'ev been restoring pre-nat and pre-group Scottish material recently and have a few with no supporting notes other than the engine numbers and sometimes a date which often turns out to from the realms of fiction. One such example is shown below. The engine numbers are 14622 & 14763 and the sleeve states that it was taken in 1936 can anyone here name the location please?

post-10609-0-51268000-1395945154_thumb.jpg

Mike M.

• Like 2

CR Pickersgill 191 class and HR Clan in the 1930s - it has to be somewhere between Glasgow Buchanan Street and Oban. There seems to be smoke on the left of the picture, which looks as if it may be coming from another train. If that's the case, with the position of the train in the picture, it implies an island platform. Sorry, I can't narrow it down more than that.

If it is on the C&O as Peter suggests then it could be either Connel Ferry of Balquhidder Junction as these both had island platforms. However, the train is on the "wrong" side of the platform to be Balquhidder so more likely to be Connel Ferry (but don't put any money on it - I have been wrong before)

Jim

• Like 2