Scottish Locomotives

kingfisher24

Some pictures of my J83.

An old Gem body, to which I have made the following modifications to the body:-

New smokebox front and sandboxes.
Brass cab front & roof. I have filled in the rear of the cabs spectacles and drilled them out in the correct position.
Replaced the chimney, (Westward) and dome, (Hornby off their J83). Scratch built the square safety valve cover.
Scratch-built a cab interior and back-head. Added shunters step and sprung buffers.
The chassis is an Eastfield models, now NBR Developments, http://www.nbr4mm.co.uk/ (No connection, apart from a happy customer).
Mashima 1624 motor and a High Level 108-1 gearbox. http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/ (Again no connection).
This gives extremely slow smooth running.
Still a bit of work to do on this one, before it goes to the paint shops.
post-3520-0-30396200-1403536439_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-81500500-1403536443_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-24291900-1403536451_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-20546500-1403536463_thumb.jpg
Edited by andytrains
  • Like 12

I've looked at this as well and I'm with Ben Alder with this it would make a better Caledonian 812 class as the boiler is pitched too high for the jumbo, the 812 conversion would still need the smoke box cutting back but that's no great problem with a fine saw. It's a shame (for Scottish modelers any way) that Hornby went for the later super heated black moter as the earlier non super heated version had a lower boiler and shorter smoke box and would be near perfect for the jumbo.

The Bachman C class might be a better bet for the jumbo but to do it justivce it would need quite a bit of work round the running plate area on both the engine and tender.

The up coming Hornby J15 might be a better bet with other than reshaping the cab cut outs and a few other detail changes the only major change would be to move the dome further back on the boiler.

At the momment I have three projects on the go (dont we all) the first is the well trod route of a Caledonian 439 0-4-4 tank from an M7 the other two are a Caledonian 782 class 0-6-0 from a Hornby J83 by raising both the bunker and water tanks and lowering the cab roof as well as a few other details and the last one is again from a J83 which will become a Caledonian 104 class 0-4-4 Cathcart circle loco.

So far Ive modified the chassis for the 104 by taking out the rear driving wheels and fitting these onto the center axle to replace the traction tyred ones and am now working on the new rear bogie.

Body wise the 104 class is 31 1/2 ft long and the 782 and J83 30 ft so where as the 782 conversion the body is about the right length I need to find a way to feed in 6mm into the body for the 104 class, half of this is in the bunker but the cab and boiler inbetween the smoke box and side tanks could use an extra couple of mm. What I could do with is a spare Hornby J83 body to take "slices" from differant areas to feed into my body to lengthen it by the 6mm needed so if any one has one I could buy please let me know.

Another idea I'm playing around with is a Caledonian 171 class small 0-4-4 working in the same way as the 104 class by starting with two terrier bodys using sections from one to lengthen the other. Sorry to go on a bit Regards Steve

Hi Londontram,

I don't know what happened to my post last night but it all seems to have dissipated into the ether!.

I was commenting on your ambitious plans for converting RTR models into something else. I must admit to having done that in the past but suggest that a more satisfying way to go is to try scratch building. Its not really as difficult as you would think! The hardest part is convincing yourself that you can do it. There is also a lot more satisfaction to be had in crafting something yourself.

You mention a Caley 171 0-4-4T from two terriers! Here is my take on the class, completly scratch except for the driving wheels. I built it in less than a week with another 3 for the painting and lining. Total cost in material about £60 and it is 7mm scale.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

post-6089-0-45895300-1403621279.jpg

• Like 14

Hi Londontram,

I don't know what happened to my post last night but it all seems to have dissipated into the ether!.

I was commenting on your ambitious plans for converting RTR models into something else. I must admit to having done that in the past but suggest that a more satisfying way to go is to try scratch building. Its not really as difficult as you would think! The hardest part is convincing yourself that you can do it. There is also a lot more satisfaction to be had in crafting something yourself.

You mention a Caley 171 0-4-4T from two terriers! Here is my take on the class, completly scratch except for the driving wheels. I built it in less than a week with another 3 for the painting and lining. Total cost in material about £60 and it is 7mm scale.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

Ian, from where did you source suitable drawing for this rather nice model?

Secondly how did you make the fittings? Were these turned on a lathe?

John

Edited by sulzer27jd

Hi John,

Thanks for your kind words. I like 0-4-4 Tanks and while not from my favourite railway it is a pretty little engine worth modelling.

As for information I had a sight of a GA drawing and also copies of a Willie Stewart 7mm drawing I got from the man himself a long time ago. Some of his Caley drawings are now available from the CR Assn.I also collected quite a few photographs of the original.

As for the boiler fittings I did turn up masters on my lathe but then made some home copies in RTV rubber moulds and cast them in whitemetal. I did this as I also built one for a friend, see below, though his is one with the short bunker and toolbox. I think it worked on the Killin branch for a wee while. The LMS livery was a bit easier than the Caley!

Happy modelling,

Ian.

post-6089-0-91617800-1403711574.jpg

• Like 12

Hi All,

So whats new!    I built a Caley 1 class 4-4-0T, Meteor produce a kit!  I built a 19 class Lambie tank, Meteor produce a kit!  I 've made a 171 class 0-4-4T and now there is a kit on the way for it too. I'm nearly finished a Manson 4-6-0 so when will the kit be ready?

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 1

Hi.

James Manson designed some of the best looking locos on the Sou 'West having cut his teeth on the GNSR! When I finish building his G&SWR locos then I might get round to his early work

. It might help but I have started on one of the bogie/rigid 8 wheeled tenders for a 240 class. Basically same design as the Great North ones.

Happy modelling.

Ian.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just come across this thread yesterday.How I missed it I just don't know, possibly my lack of computer skills. The models on the thread showcase Scottish stuff not seen too much. Here are a few blasts from the past plus a new ready to run equivalent.

The Director on the deadline is a Bec kit built in 1969 with the Bachmann version of 44 years later.The NB Scott, Glen and J36 kits were all built in the 70s when released and the J37 followed on a few years later from Norrie Blackburn. Where has the time gone?

post-2677-0-87875200-1410200263_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-78800800-1410200280_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-23231300-1410200290_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-73658800-1410200301_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-61102100-1410200317_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-02512500-1410200329_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

I have just come across this thread yesterday.How I missed it I just don't know, possibly my lack of computer skills. The models on the thread showcase Scottish stuff not seen too much. Here are a few blasts from the past plus a new ready to run equivalent.

The Director on the deadline is a Bec kit built in 1969 with the Bachmann version of 44 years later.The NB Scott, Glen and J36 kits were all built in the 70s when released and the J37 followed on a few years later from Norrie Blackburn. Where has the time gone?

attachicon.gifD11.2 62690 The Lady of the Lake at rest.JPG

attachicon.gifD11.2 62693 Roderick Dhu.JPG

attachicon.gifD30 62428 The Talisman.JPG

attachicon.gifD34 62471 Glen Falloch.JPG

attachicon.gifJ36 65235 Gough.JPG

attachicon.gifJ37 64624.JPG

I like the J37, scrubs up well.

Must find mine and get building!

If/When Scotland votes for indepence will this thread be moved into the overseas area! :jester:

Keith

If/When Scotland votes for indepence will this thread be moved into the overseas area! :jester:

Keith No, because Scotland will not become overseas. Regardless of the vote it'll still be in the same place.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Keith No, because Scotland will not become overseas. Regardless of the vote it'll still be in the same place.

Irish Railways are in the Continental/Overseas and they are joined to the UK!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of pic of the GSWR 0-6-2T I bought at Expo EM north couple of weeks ago.

I have removed the transfers and will be doing it as a loco that survived into BR ownership.

(Even though none of this version did. Last w/d 11/47. So not out of the realm of possibility).

post-3520-0-21980300-1411850592_thumb.jpg

post-3520-0-44108400-1411850615_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I wasnt too sure as to where to put this but the end result will be a scottish loco, to make a north british c10 atlantic i have used two of the gbl directors for the major loco body parts ie the boiler and firebox and cab, also using the tender body from the gbl castle loco which has been cut down and reshaped to match a drawing from the north british society. For the chassis i have had a spare 0-6-0 kit built chassis lying in my bits and pieces box and this the correct wheelbase for the coupled wheels - the remainder of the chassis will be re-shaped at one end to allow the front bogie to swing. It put the whole lot together this morning after spending thursday cutting and shutting the loco body and took the following snaps. The result so far doesnt look too bad i think - it matches the drawings i have for the loco.

The chimney and dome have been cut down and the cab will be similarly treated tomorrow then i have the challenge of the motion and the tender chassis but i have the parts to make the tender chassis and will make the coupling rods first using bullhead rail and take it from there.

post-10572-0-36913100-1411851652_thumb.jpg

post-10572-0-15007500-1411851676_thumb.jpg

post-10572-0-81488400-1411851723_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality snaps as these were taken using my phone and not the trusty camera as this has been borrowed by senior management.

• Like 12

Couple of pic of the GSWR 0-6-2T I bought at Expo EM north couple of weeks ago.

I have removed the transfers and will be doing it as a loco that survived into BR ownership.

(Even though none of this version did. Last w/d 11/47. So not out of the realm of possibility).

Hi

While it was a Whitelegg 1 class that got a BR Number a couple of the Drummond engines went into Industrial

service with McAlpines and Ashington Coal Co. So you could do an industrial version.

Ian.