Two new locomotives for Graham Farish, Jinty and Class 31

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann Europe’ N scale Graham Farish will see two new locomotives added to its range. Produced from new body and chassis tooling the two newly announced locomotives will replace models inherited from the former company.

The popular 3F 0-6-0T ‘Jinty’ Class designed by Fowler was an ideal shunting locomotives with 422 examples being built between June 1924 and October 1931. The last example was withdrawn in 1967 and 10 have been preserved.

Three models will be released initially. These are:

372-210 No. 7524 in LMS black

372-211 No. 47394 in BR black with early emblem

372-212 No. 47345 in BR black with late crest

All three will have a 6PIN DCC socket fitted.

Also replacing the old inherited model will be a brand new Class 31 diesel locomotive with new body and chassis tooling. Three initial models will be released in due course. These are:

371-110 No. D5563 in BR green livery

371-111 No. D5596 in BR green livery with small yellow warning panels

371-112 No. 31173 in BR blue livery

The Class 31 models will be supplied with a 6PIN DCC socket.

All research and development work on both projects has been now completed and work on producing CAD drawings is now underway. The models are due for release in 2013.

Two very welcome announcements, although nothing as yet on the Bachmann / Farish website. Odd though that there is a Poole era weathered Jinty down as still to be released. Wonder if they had any prior knowledge of Dapol's shortly to be released Pannier as the new Farish one is only getting a new new non-DCC ready chassis yet the Jinty is effectively starting again from scratch.

George

• RMweb Gold

These look very interesting indeed. another call on my bank balance. But at risk of going off topic, for goodness sake Farish, get the ivatt 2MT out first. Having promised it to us some 6 years ago it should be your No 1 priority.

The 2MT was on display today in EP form and is now at the livery artwork stage should be perhaps another 6 months or so.

These look very interesting indeed. another call on my bank balance. But at risk of going off topic, for goodness sake Farish, get the ivatt 2MT out first. Having promised it to us some 6 years ago it should be your No 1 priority.

Hi Portpatrick

Agreed.

The J39 is also yet to make an appearance, even in EP form, and that has been on the list for a while now too (if nothing like as long as the Ivatt).

I do wonder if this is actually more BachFarish's response to Dapol's recent announcements to safeguard these models. I suspect the 31 is a model they will definitely not want to "give up" to Dapol as the have the 50 as it offers so many livery choices/variants over a very long timeframe.

Also having "lost" the Pannier recently I suspect they want to make sure there is no chance the Jinty goes the same way.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

The J39 is also yet to make an appearance, even in EP form, and that has been on the list for a while now too (if nothing like as long as the Ivatt)

It wouldn't surprise me if the J39 made an appearance at the N gauge show this coming weekend, or if not there then certainly by Warley. It's the last engine out of the 2011 announcements still to make an appearance in any form.

Tom.

Well the 25/3's ended up in some peculiar other liveries late on including large logo and even plain green with white stripe

Are we confusing the late body style with the /3 designation, which relates to internal, invisble, electrical differences?

Even for the sake of the late body style, Tamworth Castle, as the one loco in so-called 'ice cream van' livery, barely qualifies as meaningful diversity, or does it?

Plain green with white stripe is a new one on me.

I think EP might be referring to something a little bit like this: http://www.railwaysc...php?imgref=2325

(I have no idea if this is a 25/3)

With you.

Yes, it's a /3 (all later body style are, as are many early), but that's a livery only (AFAIK) worn in preservation, and I've never known preserved/ fictional liveries factored into demand modelling previously. (Yes, I know Hattons have done plenty of fictions on the 14, but that's worlds away from the humble and numerous 25, which frankly given its fleet size should justify definitive models in all the popular scales, TBH).

• RMweb Gold

It wouldn't surprise me if the J39 made an appearance at the N gauge show this coming weekend, or if not there then certainly by Warley. It's the last engine out of the 2011 announcements still to make an appearance in any form.

Tom.

Tom

I was advised today that the J39 has now progressed from CADs to tool room stage.

annoying as I've just bought a jinty, can't see much wrong with the latest version tbh. Although DCC ready is welcoming.

I'd say the three most obvious additional visible features will be separate handrails,/pipwork, see-through wheels and brake/sandboxes. The current model is pretty accurate, if basic, so there won't be such a big leap forward as we had with the Black 5, for instance.

Tom

I was advised today that the J39 has now progressed from CADs to tool room stage.

Oh well, at least that's a report of some progress being made, but if tooling is being cut I'd guess it is still a good number of months off yet..

Still, on the plus side, the Ivatt's progress is very encouraging.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Tom

In that case probably Alexandra Palace next year then for first look!

Thanks Graham.

Tom.

There has been a picture and some comments about this on the Bachmann website since 22nd August in case you were not aware.

HTH

Scott

There has been a picture and some comments about this on the Bachmann website since 22nd August in case you were not aware.

HTH

Scott

Yes indeed - I had seen the piccy and now almost hope. 6 years plus from first announcement is farcical and hardly good customer friendly practice but the picture looks most impressive. I have my £58 order with Hattons. I may even have 2.

I had also noted that the J39 was still to appear - yet another one on my interesting list., though not as crucial as the Ivatt.

If the tactic is to "reserve" their own model before Dapol jump in, I hope that we do not now have 6 years to wait for the 31 and Jinty. I seem to remember they promised the Ivatt on the back of Dapol's 262T, and Dapol then withdrew their own plans for the tender version. Can't help sensing that if Dapol had felt able to continue we would have had theirs a while ago.

But we are where we are. Both Farish and Dapol have produced some amazing releases and have some fantastic plans. All I want now is a bigger pension!

• RMweb Gold

Any upgrade and retool of an early Farish is always welcome...the new class 20 seems to be getting rave reviews.

I'm still surprised the 31 leapfrogged the class 25 though...perhaps Dapol will hear our prayers as Bachmann clearly can't :(

With you.

Yes, it's a /3 (all later body style are, as are many early), but that's a livery only (AFAIK) worn in preservation,

Although I'd point out some of the 25s have now been in preservation longer than BR. Not sure how long it had that livery but its quite a while 8)

I would have expected an earlier 25 however given the 25/3 has been done (badly) by Farish in the past and the 25/1 has only ever been done in kit form.

Any upgrade and retool of an early Farish is always welcome...the new class 20 seems to be getting rave reviews.

I'm still surprised the 31 leapfrogged the class 25 though...perhaps Dapol will hear our prayers as Bachmann clearly can't :(

I am amazed that there still isn't a decent class 25 in either N or OO, considering that they were to be seen in most parts of the country apart from perhaps the Southern, and on both passenger and freight workings. They are also so ideal for shorter trains which many people are restricted to on their layouts. I do think that lack of colour schemes may be factor. They were only really ever in green or blue. 25 322 had yellow cabsides but not large logo on BR.There were though the intercity liveried train heating units but thats about it.

I am amazed that there still isn't a decent class 25 in either N or OO, considering that they were to be seen in most parts of the country apart from perhaps the Southern, and on both passenger and freight workings. They are also so ideal for shorter trains which many people are restricted to on their layouts. I do think that lack of colour schemes may be factor. They were only really ever in green or blue. 25 322 had yellow cabsides but not large logo on BR.There were though the intercity liveried train heating units but thats about it.

But both the early body and the later one have already been done in OO haven't they ?? . If so, that's what makes it all the more strange that they haven't been shrunk.

Scott

Archived